HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Sharks Game #2 - 4/16/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Please TM, keep Lewis up there between Smyth and Williams. This team just played probably it's best game of the season, do not mess with what was working. This quote is encouraging but we will see
I was thinking about that as well. Perhaps they'll insert Stoll between Ponikarovsky and Moller/Westgarth to start the game. Stoll plays an abrasive style that can mesh well with that line. It also gives Murray the option to play four lines regularly, something that has benefited the Kings.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 03:50 AM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Can't sleep. I just want to keep watching the highlights. Before the game I thought we were going to fight it out for a close win, but I didn't think it would be such a dominating performance. Imagine if we get our offense clicking along with our blue line from tonight. Love the hustle of the Macbook Pro Line.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
the Kings WILL win the next 3 WHEN they just do exactly what they did today, get the puck in deep, cycle and wear down the Sharks Dmen.
fixed the only negative I can think of about tonight's game is that I have to wait 2.5 days til I get to see that team play again.

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:13 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

My biggest issue with re-uniting the "October Line" is on defense. Smyth and Williams are never going to be mistaken for Selke candidates and Stoll is not very good defensively either. The Stoll/Smyth duo has been a defensive disaster for months. When you have such a strong defensive center like Lewis who also skates well on that line it totally changes the dynamic of it as we saw tonight. Lewis is just so smart out there, he is so sound defensively and always in the right spot, he just reads the game so well which is Stoll's biggest weakness.

I assume with the last change TM is going to want Handzus out there against Thornton's line and hopefully Lewis out there against Pavelski's line.

Having Lewis on the 4th line is a mistake because you are eliminating arguably your best defensive forward from checking one of their top centers because there is no way TM is sending Westgarth out there against one of their top lines.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Shellz

Can someone explain what Clowe was doing? I missed the first two periods and lots of people brought him up. Tank youuu

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:39 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
My biggest issue with re-uniting the "October Line" is on defense. Smyth and Williams are never going to be mistaken for Selke candidates and Stoll is not very good defensively either. The Stoll/Smyth duo has been a defensive disaster for months. When you have such a strong defensive center like Lewis who also skates well on that line it totally changes the dynamic of it as we saw tonight. Lewis is just so smart out there, he is so sound defensively and always in the right spot, he just reads the game so well which is Stoll's biggest weakness.

I assume with the last change TM is going to want Handzus out there against Thornton's line and hopefully Lewis out there against Pavelski's line.

Having Lewis on the 4th line is a mistake because you are eliminating arguably your best defensive forward from checking one of their top centers because there is no way TM is sending Westgarth out there against one of their top lines.
Gotta disagree, Stoll is solid defensively, he is not going to be mistaken for John Madden or Sammi Pahlsson, but he isn't an Alexei Yashin either...

As far as matchups, I like Lewis/Smyth/Williams as a line and I like Stoll, Poni, Westy as a line, as far as matchups, you almost have to matchup Couture with Stoll/Poni/Westy to allow Lewis/Smyth/Williams to match up with Thornton/Marleau, and allow Richardson to matchup with Pavelski...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 06:23 AM
kingbrath

wow........just ....wow

this team just blew my mind! I need to hear from Reaper...

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:50 AM
R0CKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Willie Mitchell was the unsung hero tonight. Let's give credit to probably Lombardi's best UFA signing since becoming out GM. Stick was all over and in the lanes.
Agree with this.

He makes this Blue Line SO much better and he had an awesome game last night.

R0CKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:11 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Just came to say: awesome game, guys. Destroyed SJ.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Chruceg

I was black out drunk by the time the end of the game rolled around. (Bruins watch party at my place contributed directly to that) What happened with Simmonds and Mayers at the end of the game?

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Love it when the PP clicks. It is one game, but I think SJ is in a mental hole right now and they're playing in fear of losing the series instead of playing their game. If LA can keep up the pressure and solid D, avoid stupid penalties, they can take this series.

ReverseSweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:09 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:

Agreed, I also hope he stays on that line with Smyth & Williams and Stoll is centering Poni & Moller/Westgarth. I just want us to be able to roll 4 lines without hesitation, without being scared. We've got the talent to do it but our coaching staff doesn't necessarily feel the same way

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:11 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
TSN highlights and postgame interviews from both the Kings and Sharks are here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362573

It's really a bummer Versus isn't simulcasting the TSN feed of the game and instead using the Sharks feed for fans outside of LA. TSN's productions are first rate. At least you can see their highlights.
Versus and Comcast Sports NorCal or Cal or whatever it's called are the same company. So it's probably cheaper than TSN.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Tank youuu
I see what you did there

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Can someone explain what Clowe was doing? I missed the first two periods and lots of people brought him up. Tank youuu
Within the first ten minutes or so, he took two undisciplined penalties (I think both on Doughty). Also, on Doughty's second goal, he just knelt down and tried to block a shot from the point by laying the stick down (not the body).

So the first ten minutes he was too undisciplined/aggressive, then he followed it up by 50 minutes of semi heartless-heartless play.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

View from San Jose:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purd...nclick_check=1

"The playoffs always expose a hockey team's worst flaw.

Playoffs, meet your San Jose Sharks.

It isn't so much that the Los Angeles Kings handed our beloved Los Tiburones their worst home shutout defeat in team postseason history Saturday night.

It's the way that the 4-0 loss looked."

"For the doomsayers, here is another statistic: The Sharks have never gone on to win a playoff series after being shut out in a home game. To be sure, it has happened just three previous times. It had better not become four."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:24 AM
DaAnimal

Honestly JJ and DD played a great game. But lets not forget about our defense: Scuds and Willy.

Has anyone else noticed when Lewis is not playing on the 4th line, we win most of the time? Yeah, GO LEWIS.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Commenting late. Amazing game, just amazing. This team has played two great playoff games so far. I hope we didn't piss the sharks off too much and they come out gunning on Tuesday.

If there was a dictionary that had 'Perfect playoff game' in it, there would be a video of this game next to it. I love that Clowe went after Doughty like 5 times and it only came back to bite him and the Sharks in the ass.

I can't wait until Tuesday! I'll be there early in my Doughty jersey!

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

GOOD MORNING KINGS FANS!!!!!

ANOTHER GREAT DAY TO BE A FAN OF THE KINGS!!!

I am posting my head to head Vey/Toffoli today somewhere on the main boards for those who are interested.

Time for the team to settle down, big win and now back to work like it didn't happen.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!!!

WAY TO GO KINGS!!!!

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Megaforce

I'm on the bandwagon.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Cruel11
Maximoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
View from San Jose:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purd...nclick_check=1

"The playoffs always expose a hockey team's worst flaw.

Playoffs, meet your San Jose Sharks.

It isn't so much that the Los Angeles Kings handed our beloved Los Tiburones their worst home shutout defeat in team postseason history Saturday night.

It's the way that the 4-0 loss looked."

"For the doomsayers, here is another statistic: The Sharks have never gone on to win a playoff series after being shut out in a home game. To be sure, it has happened just three previous times. It had better not become four."
interesting...

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Where in the world is Wayne Simmonds?

Kevin Westgarth is showing that with more minutes, he can be more than just and enforcer. He's been great.

Willie Mitchell is the ****. The things he does with his stick is pretty amazing.

I hope the Sharks come out banging again on Tuesday and we make them pay of the PP, again.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:18 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Lets not get crazy with Trevor Lewis here.. He didn't do much of anything besides what he always does and kill penalties. Trevor is an awesome PKer, and has good speed but Jarret Stoll deserves and will get his spot back. I thought Moller played an awesome game.. Penner actually WORKED last night, and it was good to see. Westgarth deserves to stay.

Penner-Moller-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds
Westgarth-Handzus-Lewis

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:23 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Love these Kings!

I hope some of you are starting to change your tone about this team.

One game at a time, keep grinding it out boys.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:28 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Wow, what a game. Many of us get frustrated with Terry Murray's system, but executed well and with a good power play, it can be very effective. The Kings were structured, disciplined, and intense last night. They won a lot of board battles and took advantage of the opportunities they got. It was great watching the Sharks get frustrated and start trying to to force the play in the second, and even better watching them get booed off the ice at the end of the game.

Of course we can't expect such a confluence of events in the next game, with the Kings playing at their highest level and the Sharks at their lowest, but this win is huge for their confidence. They can not only beat the Sharks, they can DOMINATE them.

So pumped for Tuesday.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote