HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's why there is no need to worry about game 2's performance

Old
04-17-2011, 05:18 AM
dwood16

vCash: 500
Here's why there is no need to worry about game 2's performance

The Sharks were obviously playing possum. They want to lull the Kings into a false state of security. Then they will unleash the beast that is there aggressive, no holds barred, come from 4 goals down, cross ice passing, one-timing selves and take the series in 5 with the 5th game being at home.

Considering I have never seen them win a playoff game or even come close and I've spent quite a few dollars doing so....I want to personally thank the players myself for having the consideration to make sure they don't sweep L.A. so they can win at home.

Thanks guys!
Love you JT and Patty !

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:26 AM
TheBrokenRib

Or we could be lulling them for another team.

The Wings or Nucks would wreck the Kings.

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:37 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

So basically you're saying we were sandbagging? I don't buy it. The western conference is going to be a battle of arrrition. The less games you play, the better.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:58 AM
wtfisthis

Rather not set myself up for disappointment.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:27 AM
SJGoalie32

Well, with two days off until Game 3 and a short travel schedule, I kinda almost wonder if getting blown out like this isn't better for them.

After the first period of Game 1, they did play pretty poorly and that seemed to carry over into tonight's game.

Given the schedule, I think that they have time to have a good hard practice and work on the things that they're struggling with.....and this kind of a blowout will force that practice to be harder and more focused than if, say, they lost this game 2-1 in OT.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:14 AM
sjshark91

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

I'd believe you if this were any other team.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
That's mighty optimistic.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Pinkfloyd

They got killed before in playoff games. They can respond. Question will be if they actually will.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 05:27 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 50
If game 2 doesn't wake them up to play like the 1st period of game 1, they don't deserve to advance. LA is a full load and nothing less than a 100% will do.
All they have to do is take back home ice on Tuesday.

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I'd believe you if this were any other team.
Word ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:02 PM
NorCalJen
Oh baby! Oh mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
Well, with two days off until Game 3 and a short travel schedule, I kinda almost wonder if getting blown out like this isn't better for them.

After the first period of Game 1, they did play pretty poorly and that seemed to carry over into tonight's game.

Given the schedule, I think that they have time to have a good hard practice and work on the things that they're struggling with.....and this kind of a blowout will force that practice to be harder and more focused than if, say, they lost this game 2-1 in OT.
The only way practice would be beneficial at this point is if they give up on the stupid strategies that aren't working, like the PK, and practice hard on something that will.

Having a great, hard practice (which they supposedly did on Friday) isn't going to benefit anything when L.A. has our number AND the team isn't willing to actually, ya know, play hard during a game?

NorCalJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:25 PM
baydrake
gutless performance

better talent level, coaching, and discipline generally prevents game 2-like stinkers and leads to shorter series wins.

let's quantify the axiomatic "every game counts":

since the lockout, the team that has played the shorter first round series is 8-9 in the second round (though in 3 series the opponents had played the same number of games and could be interpreted either way). not predictive.

however, since the lockout, the team that has played fewer first- & second-round games is 7-2 in the Conf. Finals. significant IMO.

in one series (BUF-CAR 2006) both teams had played 11 games and that went 7 games i.e. could have gone either way. the two losses were both in cases where the playoff games played was within 1. one of those teams was San Jose playing 11 games in 2010 and losing to Chicago who had played 12.

teams that play 2 or more games fewer than their Conf. Finals opponent are 4-0 since the lockout. the last team to play 2 or more games fewer than their third round opponent and lose was the 2004 Sharks (13 games vs Calgary's 11). some of those teams are simply better but IMO in the third round the toll of the long postseason starts to show despite the teams theoretically being more evenly matched than seeded first- and second- round matchups.

the cream rises to the top and it is indeed tough being a Sharks fan.

anyway, i still pick SJ to win this series, but it looks like it will take about 6 games. without white, i don't like their chances to go deep, though. thornton and marleau are showing that their performances vs detroit and chicago respectively were the exception, not the rule. meanwhile, while they aren't franchise cornerstones by any means, guys like clowe, pavelski, and setoguchi in general are playing better as the intensity ratchets up (though clowe had a pretty stupid game 2 and hopefully he rebounds from that) and it sure is frustrating to see other teams' franchise players be consistently great (datsyuk, doan, et al) and SJ's be consistently tepid (every playoff team has at least one defenseman that has generated more offense than thornton and marleau combined)

Last edited by baydrake: 04-17-2011 at 08:43 PM.
baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJen View Post
The only way practice would be beneficial at this point is if they give up on the stupid strategies that aren't working, like the PK, and practice hard on something that will.

Having a great, hard practice (which they supposedly did on Friday) isn't going to benefit anything when L.A. has our number AND the team isn't willing to actually, ya know, play hard during a game?
your new avatar is incredible.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:25 AM
NorCalJen
Oh baby! Oh mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
your new avatar is incredible.
All thanks to the incredibly talented Markus! I grabbed it out of the avatar thread.

NorCalJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
The Sharks were obviously playing possum. They want to lull the Kings into a false state of security. Then they will unleash the beast that is there aggressive, no holds barred, come from 4 goals down, cross ice passing, one-timing selves and take the series in 5 with the 5th game being at home.

Considering I have never seen them win a playoff game or even come close and I've spent quite a few dollars doing so....I want to personally thank the players myself for having the consideration to make sure they don't sweep L.A. so they can win at home.

Thanks guys!
Love you JT and Patty !
Oh great. A guy that doesn't know the team at all is giving us faith. Thanks bro.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:55 AM
ilikebigjoe

ill feel like we're in pretty good shape if we can go up 2-1 in this series on tuesday. if we do, i think we can MAYBE do it in 5, but probably in 6. i was calling sharks in 5 from the beginning, but i thought we would take 1,2, 3/4, 5.

great....van up 3-0....cant wait to hear those canucks fans...

super glad anaheim is down 2-1

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Oh great. A guy that doesn't know the team at all is giving us faith. Thanks bro.
Huh? maybe you should re-read that. "hasn't seen them WIN"

Old
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Huh? maybe you should re-read that. "hasn't seen them WIN"
maybe you should clarify that. You "hasn't" seen WHO win a playoff game or come close to it - the Sharks???

Or are you referring to the Kings?

Either way, my statement still stands.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
I'm not hitting the panic button yet. I predicted the Sharks in 5 and it is still entirely possible but let's be honest, the Sharks have not played well so far and the Kings could easily be up 2-0 right now.

That said, I think the Sharks win this series. I don't feel confident about their chances after that because I just think Vancouver is a much better team and the Sharks will not get to the finals if they have to face the Canucks. Sharks can beat Detroit, but not Vancouver.

Anyway, no point in really talking about that right now considering we may not even make it past the 1st round.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
maybe you should clarify that. You "hasn't" seen WHO win a playoff game or come close to it - the Sharks???

Or are you referring to the Kings?

Either way, my statement still stands.
I think he just meant that he hasn't ever attended a playoff game that the Sharks won. Every playoff game he's been to in person, the Sharks have been beaten soundly and is expressing frustration over that fact.

I certainly understand that feeling. I've only made it to 3 Giants playoff games in my lifetime, and all of them were losses. The Giants were 5-2 at home this last postseason......and I was at both of the 2.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
I think he just meant that he hasn't ever attended a playoff game that the Sharks won. Every playoff game he's been to in person, the Sharks have been beaten soundly and is expressing frustration over that fact.

I certainly understand that feeling. I've only made it to 3 Giants playoff games in my lifetime, and all of them were losses. The Giants were 5-2 at home this last postseason......and I was at both of the 2.
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I don't wanna even mention how many games i've seen...it's oh so sad.

Btw, in the last 10 or so games I've attended (regular and post season) I have seen 2 wins I was even at that last Ducks game and almost ended up in a brawl because of my love for the Sharks (and mostly the lack of class from the Ducks "fans") not the mention games 1 and 2 versus the Ducks a couple years back. These are easily 3 of the worst games ever played by the Sharks...including the 91-92 season. When I first started going to games I saw like 8 wins in a row, what went wrong?

P.S. If you haven't figured it out by now... this thread contains SARCASM. Playing possum, Like the Sharks are in any position to give away games.

Old
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

Quote:
Winner winner, sheen dinner.

I don't wanna even mention how many games i've seen...it's oh so sad.

Btw, in the last 10 or so games I've attended (regular and post season) I have seen 2 wins I was even at that last Ducks game and almost ended up in a brawl because of my love for the Sharks (and mostly the lack of class from the Ducks "fans") not the mention games 1 and 2 versus the Ducks a couple years back. These are easily 3 of the worst games ever played by the Sharks...including the 91-92 season. When I first started going to games I saw like 8 wins in a row, what went wrong?

P.S. If you haven't figured it out by now... this thread contains SARCASM. Playing possum, Like the Sharks are in any position to give away games.
fixed

this team played like crap against Colorado last year. It took losing the first two games to light a fire under them and take the series, then beating the Wings (who is a likely matchup should we win).

If they continue with this lackluster play, I want our top line gone. I'm so sick of them. I don't care anymore.

Old
04-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
fixed

this team played like crap against Colorado last year. It took losing the first two games to light a fire under them and take the series, then beating the Wings (who is a likely matchup should we win).

If they continue with this lackluster play, I want our top line gone. I'm so sick of them. I don't care anymore.
They split the first two last year.

As for the top line, they won't continue this play and everyone knows it. It's simply a matter of when they'll snap out of it and if it will do them any good. As much as it's easy and they deserve every bit of criticism they get, the other guys on the team need to step up and win it for the group if the top line can't get it done. You can't rely on your top guys in every single series. The playoffs are too long to expect your best players to be there every game or even every series.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
They split the first two last year.

As for the top line, they won't continue this play and everyone knows it. It's simply a matter of when they'll snap out of it and if it will do them any good. As much as it's easy and they deserve every bit of criticism they get, the other guys on the team need to step up and win it for the group if the top line can't get it done. You can't rely on your top guys in every single series. The playoffs are too long to expect your best players to be there every game or even every series.
Pretty hard to do when the first line is eating up most of the minutes and killing the momentum with turnover after turnover.

Maybe Todd should except the fact that the first line isn't really the first line anymore. Maybe give that 4th line some minutes....even they seem more effective than the first line, sans Seto.

Maybe it's time we demote JT, he isn't any good anymore....and never was in the playoffs anyway.