HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's why there is no need to worry about game 2's performance

Old
04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
SJGoalie32

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Can SJ HF fans make a pact? That we won't jump of the bridge regarding the Sharks after a loss? It's one of the worst traits as a whole for this fanbase, lol. How many people actually expected them to sweep? Granted the way they lost is discouraging but it counts the same nonetheless, one loss. Really hate avoiding a forum that I otherwise enjoy because it feels like I walked into a Simple Plan concert

I guess that's HF Shark's fans for better or worse, heh. Though I wish the players would stop their Jekyl/Hyde deal as well, though theirs is obviously different.
It doesn't seem like we've been jumping off the bridge. To the contrary, it feels to me like we have been much calmer this year.

In past years there would've been mutiple threads on this board, multiple Thornton = Tin Man threads on the main board, tons of arguing in the series thread, etc. There's some frustration there to be sure, but I don't think it's over the top for a team that had arguably the worst showing of any team in this year's postseason thus far.

Indeed, I've been somewhat surprised by the relatively measured responses among people here this forum, my friends in person and on Facebook, my fellow co-workers. It's like we've gotten used to this.

Nobody expected this Sharks team to sweep. A completely healthy 2nd seeded veteran team with as much talent and depth as the Sharks possess in a first against a 7th seed with injuries to several of their top forwards? Sure, you could probably expect every other top team in the league to sweep this series. But with the Sharks, you can't say that because anyone who follows this team just knows that they're simply going to give away one or two playoff games where they completely disappear and **** the bed. That reality is as much a part of being a Sharks fan as going to the Tank and watching the players skate through the Shark head.

I remember going into work 2 years ago after Game 2 against the Ducks and hearing my coworkers beside themselves with frustration. This year? Came into work Monday, and just saw a bunch of co-workers shrugging their shoulders with a smile saying, "Figured this would happen at some point."

Quite honestly, I'm not sure which response troubles me more......fans that are ready to jump off the proverbial bridge when their team doesn't show up at all for a playoff game, or that this embarrassing level of play in the postseason has become so commonplace that we've just come to accept it and even expect it.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Wow. Vaasa in here already saying "I told you so" before it's over and Jesus Toews claiming JT and Heatley aren't part of the core of this team, but Patty is. Gotta love it.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Toews View Post
Also, salaries aside, Thornton and Heatley aren't really key players on this team anymore. They're complementary pieces at best. Pavelski, Marleau, Clowe, Couture, Boyle, Murray and Niemi are the core here and I think that group is capable of leading the team to a championship. Hopefully they show it.
I completely agree with you on the part above about who the core is. Unforunately, I disagree that it's just up to the ability of those players. Because not only do they have to play for themselves, they have to play even better to overcome the lack of effort and disinterest on the part of JT and Heater.

And of course, is it really a good thing to be spending ~$15 million on "complementary pieces"???

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Wow. Vaasa in here already saying "I told you so" before it's over and Jesus Toews claiming JT and Heatley aren't part of the core of this team, but Patty is. Gotta love it.
The difference with Patty is that while he disappears a lot, when he comes "on" he can steal whole games by himself. JT and Heatley almost never turn it "on", and when they do, they simply can't seem to change a game, let alone win one on their own.

But I'll admit, Patty better step it the hell up this playoffs or he can go too.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

why is marleau part of the core but not thornton and heatley? am i the only one who thinks that heatley actually tries in big games?

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Naki

Quote:
Its amusing to see people say JT or Heatley are not part of the core. Just because they are not producing does not mean they are not part of the core.
They were brought in to be part of the core and they are expected to be a big part of the team.
Both Heatley and Thornton, like it or not, are part of the core of this team. Maybe that is why the team has had its struggles but until they are traded or paid less than 3mil a year they will be part of the planned core of the team.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Patty has shown a hell of a lot more than Thornton or Heatley in the playoffs and he's been the team's best player in the regular season as well for two years running now.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
Its amusing to see people say JT or Heatley are not part of the core. Just because they are not producing does not mean they are not part of the core.
They were brought in to be part of the core and they are expected to be a big part of the team.
Both Heatley and Thornton, like it or not, are part of the core of this team. Maybe that is why the team has had its struggles but until they are traded or paid less than 3mil a year they will be part of the planned core of the team.
Based on salary structure, managerial/fan expectations and ice time, absolutely Thornton and Heatley are part of the core and you'd have to be foolish to think otherwise. However, I was responding to Vaasa's comment that this team can never win a Cup with Thornton and Heatley at the helm--a sentiment I more or less agree with. The silver lining is that the Sharks now have a long list of players who can edge out Thornton and Heatley in terms of postseason production, rendering the contributions of JT and Heatley added bonuses or gravy. Basically, there's realistically enough offensive depth that even without Thornton and Heatley at the forefront, the Sharks should be able to score enough goals to remain competitive with the Vancouvers and Detroits. The Sedins and Kesler (lol whoops) have to score for the Canucks because there's a snowball's chance in hell of Alex Burrows or Mason Raymond picking up the slack. If Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Franzen don't step it up, there's no one else on the Wings who will. Without Getzlaf, Perry and Selanne showing up, the Ducks are dead in the water. Fortunately for the Sharks you can compensate for Thornton and Heatley's statistical dropoffs in the playoffs because there are so many other proven postseason weapons.

Old
04-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Jesus Toews*

And that game is why Patty is a core player and JT and Heatley are not.

Old
04-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
In your opinion of course.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Kitten Mittons

Well, the play wouldn't have happened if Thornton wasn't driving to the net.

And don't talk **** about Heatley. He's been one of our best players.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:33 AM
Jesus Toews*

No, the play wouldn't have happened if A) Penner wasn't a lazy piece of **** and B) Marleau hadn't dished a perfect pass. Thornton was absolutely atrocious tonight.

Heater looked good, I'll give you that but his defensive miscue cost the Sharks on what was at the time a back-breaking goal that gave the Kings a 4-0 lead.

Old
04-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Kitten Mittons

Thornton would've made the same pass. However, he would've never accepted the pass with a spinorama and used his speed to get a 3 on 2 basically.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:20 AM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
To be fair, Heatley has been having a good series.

I was disappointed in his play last year, but he was hurt. Inconsistent throughout this year, but I wanted to see him healthy in the playoffs and see how he performed before passing judgment.

He did have that first goal in Game 1, had several other prime opportunities, had probably the best scoring chance for the Sharks in Game 2, and he had an assist and a strong contributor on the Sharks best line tonight.

Got to keep doing that, but for as much flak as we've all given DFH the last year and a half or so, he's actually been pretty good so far.

Thornton, on the other hand, has been easily the worst of the Sharks top 9 forwards so far in this series.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:49 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Can SJ HF fans make a pact? That we won't jump of the bridge regarding the Sharks after a loss? It's one of the worst traits as a whole for this fanbase, lol. How many people actually expected them to sweep? Granted the way they lost is discouraging but it counts the same nonetheless, one loss. Really hate avoiding a forum that I otherwise enjoy because it feels like I walked into a Simple Plan concert

I guess that's HF Shark's fans for better or worse, heh. Though I wish the players would stop their Jekyl/Hyde deal as well, though theirs is obviously different.

Anyway, back on topic. The biggest thing I feel they need to change or than the 1-1-2 is...

I'd like to see Heatley for Seto on the top PP unit. Would give us net presence that Seto otherwise really wouldn't. Would give a legit trigger man in the slot/circles for PP2 as well. Overall balances the PP units a bit more.

Oh, and for the love of god SJ (not named Murray,) at least pretend you want to block shots from the point. Looking at you Heatley and Clowe.
Uhhh... no. Take your little pact and you know what to do with it.

Telling people how to feel about this team is ......"It's one of the worst traits as a whole for this fanbase."

I know they won tonight but really, REALLY?? that was pathetic. They were playing the weakest team possible (considering injuries and suspension)

Anyone that can possibly be okay with the way this team probably has the same amount of passion as Joe Thornton in the playoffs.

I know I've harped on this, but I've spent a lot of money to see this team completely unravel in the playoffs and these guys are getting payed millions. I've sat there in the stands while big Joe literally glided around without expending any energy the ENTIRE game. I wasn't the only person in the stands who was outraged enough to bring up the word "refund".

So, no I will not make a pact. If the was the first time, or second, or third time they tanked in the post season... maybe, but no.

I reserve the right to not be docile and dispassionate.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:13 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Uhhh... no. Take your little pact and you know what to do with it.

Telling people how to feel about this team is ......"It's one of the worst traits as a whole for this fanbase."

I know they won tonight but really, REALLY?? that was pathetic. They were playing the weakest team possible (considering injuries and suspension)

Anyone that can possibly be okay with the way this team probably has the same amount of passion as Joe Thornton in the playoffs.

I know I've harped on this, but I've spent a lot of money to see this team completely unravel in the playoffs and these guys are getting payed millions. I've sat there in the stands while big Joe literally glided around without expending any energy the ENTIRE game. I wasn't the only person in the stands who was outraged enough to bring up the word "refund".

So, no I will not make a pact. If the was the first time, or second, or third time they tanked in the post season... maybe, but no.

I reserve the right to not be docile and dispassionate.
I apologize for this post. I may have over-reacted a bit.

Franchise13, I'm sure youre a cool dude... I just misdirected my anger. It should be at the Sharks for not stomping the Kings for the whole game.

Old
04-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Franchise13

Quote:
I apologize for this post. I may have over-reacted a bit.

Franchise13, I'm sure youre a cool dude... I just misdirected my anger. It should be at the Sharks for not stomping the Kings for the whole game.
It's cool. I don't take things personally, especially walking in at 130am drunk I definitely understand your position, even if I don't always agree with it.

We've all spent tons of money on the Sharks. I know it feels raw a bit sometimes. But overall, they are a good product.

Im going to bed.

Cheers to a good game. Stories for you guys tomorrow if i feel like typing it all up.

PS. Las Palmas is awesome.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:40 AM
dwood16

Quote:
It's cool. I don't take things personally, especially walking in at 130am drunk I definitely understand your position, even if I don't always agree with it.

We've all spent tons of money on the Sharks. I know it feels raw a bit sometimes. But overall, they are a good product.

Im going to bed.

Cheers to a good game. Stories for you guys tomorrow if i feel like typing it all up.

PS. Las Palmas is awesome.
Ha! Las Palmas in Hollywood? I live a few blocks from there.

Old
04-20-2011, 07:04 AM
what

Quote:
They want to lull the Kings into a false state of security. Then they will unleash the beast that is there aggressive, no holds barred, come from 4 goals down, cross ice passing, one-timing selves...
Spot on (at least that part!).

09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:20 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
The Sharks were obviously playing possum. They want to lull the Kings into a false state of security. Then they will unleash the beast that is there aggressive, no holds barred, come from 4 goals down, cross ice passing, one-timing selves and take the series in 5 with the 5th game being at home.

Considering I have never seen them win a playoff game or even come close and I've spent quite a few dollars doing so....I want to personally thank the players myself for having the consideration to make sure they don't sweep L.A. so they can win at home.

Thanks guys!
Love you JT and Patty !
Amazing prediction.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Ha! Las Palmas in Hollywood? I live a few blocks from there.
Yes. Thankfully I don't have to get to work till noon today.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 View Post
Spot on (at least that part!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
Amazing prediction.
Thank you, thank you.

I guess I should tell you guys about my weird power. My lady can testify to this. Any time I start to get really frustrated with how poorly a player is a playing, I go on one of my rants....

I.e. Joe Thornton sucks! he can't even pass the puck anymore! what happened to him?? the guy has never showed up for a playoff game turns the puck over more than anyone in the league and is dragging the team down. He should be either traded (for anything, I'll take a second rounder at this point) or demoted to the 3rd line and played for 7 minutes a game. Hell, i'd consider scratching him for a game so he can get some perspective. I'm not sure Ferriero isn't better than him anyway.

...inevitably, the player will score a goal or at the very least set one up within minutes. It's happened every single time. It goes all the way back to when Clowe started last season very, very cold. I was saying they should move him out and get some speed instead.... I was wrong and he instantly turned it around after those comments. This year, happened with Boyle (within seconds of my comments he got a goal) Seto (same thing, plus went on that insane streak..withing minutes) Heater, Vlasic even scored in a game I ranted about him (i think vs. the Kings at the end of the season) and Pavs got real hot as soon as I was making fun of how bad he was, while he was going through a rough streak of not being able to finish.

Weird stuff, my wife thinks I'm psychic lol.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Naki

Quote:
Thank you, thank you.

I guess I should tell you guys about my weird power. My lady can testify to this. Any time I start to get really frustrated with how poorly a player is a playing, I go on one of my rants....

I.e. Joe Thornton sucks! he can't even pass the puck anymore! what happened to him?? the guy has never showed up for a playoff game turns the puck over more than anyone in the league and is dragging the team down. He should be either traded (for anything, I'll take a second rounder at this point) or demoted to the 3rd line and played for 7 minutes a game. Hell, i'd consider scratching him for a game so he can get some perspective. I'm not sure Ferriero isn't better than him anyway.

...inevitably, the player will score a goal or at the very least set one up within minutes. It's happened every single time. It goes all the way back to when Clowe started last season very, very cold. I was saying they should move him out and get some speed instead.... I was wrong and he instantly turned it around after those comments. This year, happened with Boyle (within seconds of my comments he got a goal) Seto (same thing, plus went on that insane streak..withing minutes) Heater, Vlasic even scored in a game I ranted about him (i think vs. the Kings at the end of the season) and Pavs got real hot as soon as I was making fun of how bad he was, while he was going through a rough streak of not being able to finish.

Weird stuff, my wife thinks I'm psychic lol.
rant about me not winning the lottery.
Thanks!

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote