HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shot power

Old
04-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Daryl

vCash: 500
Shot power

Hey,

any tips on how to improve my wrist and slap shot power? Possibly with workouts I could do at home(ex:planks etc).

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Czar

Take a 2 foot long piece of wood (a cut up stick would do nicely), a long long piece of string, and tie it to the stick. Tie the other end to a milk-jug filled with water. Grab the stick with both hands and use your wrists to roll the jug up to the stick. Rinse and repeat.

Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:29 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Bad advice, as shot power doesn't really come from the forearms. Work on your upper legs, back and core to see big gains. Also try to make your technique more efficient to maximize your yield.

Edit: It's true forearm strength helps wrist shot power but if you're using that as a main power source, something's wrong. Even on a wrister in motion, the snap of the hips and trunk really outweighs the forearms. If you don't believe me, try it yourself and see

Last edited by BadHammy*: 04-05-2011 at 05:33 AM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Czar

The follow through has everything to do with wrist/forearm strength! Weight transfer is important, but you can't snap off a good wrist shot if your forearms/wrists can't make the stick roll over to the target.

You could also use a weighted puck during practices. When I was younger I'd take one and shoot about 100 shots a day at a wall.

Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:40 AM
HowToHockey

Technique is EVERYTHING! My slapper was acceptable but I never really worked on it. I got a radar gun and measured the speed, 55MPH it was the one skill I never really developed so I took a few months and took about 100 shots every few days using the radar gun to tweak the technique.

After about 2 months I had gotten my speed up to 75MPH average.

I went to the hockey expo and there was a radar gun there, this guy was JACKED he probably has done every workout there is to do, he could barely break 60. It's all about technique....

I did an article and video on technique and improving slapshot power if you are in the mood for some reading

more details in the article

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would say work on technique. Technique trumps strength every time.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:25 PM
trtaylor

Here is Tyler Seguin putting all of Jeremey's tips (HowToHockey) into practice.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Dinoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowToHockey View Post
Technique is EVERYTHING!
+ 10000 !!
Technique is EVERYTHING
Technique is EVERYTHING
Technique is EVERYTHING

Dinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
dannythekid

Cannot stress technique enough.

I am 5'9 200 lbs, I would think that I've got enough mustard on a puck to get it moving?? WRONG. I've seen 5'6 150 lb kids who have been playing hockey 7-8 absolutely ripping shots.

Started to watch a few videos on Youtube about the techniques and started working on my core and legs and technique and I've already noticed an improvement, just gotta keep working at maximizing the energy you're putting into the shot.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
BlackDog13

Strength is nothing without technique and vice versa.

From time to time I've wondered if a weighted stick would have the same effect that a weighted bat does.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Ribosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
Strength is nothing without technique and vice versa.

From time to time I've wondered if a weighted stick would have the same effect that a weighted bat does.
weighted pucks, imo

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 08:22 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Use the right stick flex.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
ComradeChris

You know the best way to improve your shot is by developing your own technique. You develop your own technique through repetition; in this case by shooting as many wrist shots and slap shots as possible. You will learn small little things that improve your technique everyday and eventually those little things will end up becoming huge and your power and accuracy will be much higher than you anticipated. I suggest take 200 wrist shots a day and 200 slap shots a day. If you feel you can do more than go for it just note that it is a nice workout. Every shot you should be thinking about scoring on a goalie so shoot your hardest and most accurate.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Proper Technique + Practice. Even if you know what the right technique is, you aren't going to learn it in one day, nor five, nor twenty. Some people get put off when someone says, you have to do x, y, and z ,that's what I do. Then they try it and it doesn't work, or maybe it just gives a very slight improvement. The fact is, you have to practice and practice a lot. You may see small improvements even after a day or two, but the more you practice, the better you'll get. Your muscle memory is so important.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
what, mess up your timing and technique?

probably...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
flyers10

Leg and core exercises along with back, shoulder and arm exercises will help give you a strong foundation. See what dryland strength training exercises the coaches at your local rinks are doing with the higher age kids for the off season. Take a lesson with a coach to learn more efficient technique and then fire several hundred pucks a day. Do that for 3-4 months and you'll see an improvement.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Technique like everyone is saying is important. Also, and this really hasn't been mentioned, make sure you are using the right stick. I was playing with the heavy wood sticks for so long and when the new superlight composites came out I thought nothing of it. Finally made the switch and wow what a difference. My slapper was always pretty good and the lighter stick did help a bit but where I saw the most improvement was my wrist shot. Must have added about 10 MPH just from the stick alone.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Hockeyfan68

I use mechanics mostly and strength second. it helps to be strong but I have seen smaller guys than me shoot hard like I do.

I have also seen big guys who can't shoot well and also little guys who spend all their time doing puck tricks and cannot shoot a puck to save their lives.

To me scoring is the most important thing as well as being able to make a solid clear if you are a defenseman. I am an old man now at almost 43 in this video and play defense in a rec league but played forward most of my life and was/am a shooter.

Stick used Harrow tapered shaft 300 series 2-piece with a Harrow #5 pattern (P88, Iginla). I would also recommend a PM9 as a good slapshot blade. I've never broken a shaft but did break a couple of blades after a year or so. Pretty solid sticks, not the lightest on the market but much lighter than the cheap compos.

Paid $100 for the shafts and about $40 for the blades.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-20-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Daryl

My stick barely seems to flex and it's a 85 flex...

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote