HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Myers needs to get his game going and become a playoff performer.

Old
04-17-2011, 10:29 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Myers needs to get his game going and become a playoff performer.

We are going to have an awfully hard time beating the Flyers if Myers doesn't wake up.

His reactions to plays at times are slow. Then he ends up scrambling to catch up to the play. Other times he has looked lost in our zone and gets caught drifting out of position. When he has tried to rush the puck out of our zone he seems confused on what to do and ends up skating into Flyers and losing the puck. He also needs to be more physical, specifically in our end of the ice and around the net to protect Miller.

Maybe he was overwhelmed by the Philly atmosphere. He is still a young player after all. But he needs to correct things and quick. He can be an enormous asset for us and we need him.

Between last years playoffs and this year. Myers has struggled to carry his game over into the post season.

Thank god Butler has elevated his game as much as he has or that pair would be an utter nightmare.

EDIT: Its not about last nights game its about Myers needing to be a dominant force in the playoffs. Its about him bringing his A-game to the playoffs. We need that from him.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-17-2011 at 01:00 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It is funny to watch the Butler-Myers pair and talk about the smooth exits, solid positional play and minute eating goodness... of Chris Butler. Tyler looks like he's trying to do too much and is back to the same things that plagued him early in the season. Let him concentrate on doing the simple and the safe, the chances will still come.

And as for the offense, he's tried to stickhandle through defensemen twice (once in each game) and it's come to naught yet the one time yesterday he wound up and let that bomb of a slapper go, Boucher kicked the rebound out into the high slot. If he's on the fly, let it go. Stop trying the cute plays.

04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It is funny to watch the Butler-Myers pair and talk about the smooth exits, solid positional play and minute eating goodness... of Chris Butler. Tyler looks like he's trying to do too much and is back to the same things that plagued him early in the season. Let him concentrate on doing the simple and the safe, the chances will still come.

And as for the offense, he's tried to stickhandle through defensemen twice (once in each game) and it's come to naught yet the one time yesterday he wound up and let that bomb of a slapper go, Boucher kicked the rebound out into the high slot. If he's on the fly, let it go. Stop trying the cute plays.
He seems to be stuck again in that no-man's land of indecision on whether he should concentrate on being a shut-down defender or the roving 4th forward that rushes up ice on every chance. Myers certainly doesn't look comfortable in his positioning or reading the play.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
slip

I thought Myers was solid in game one, but no so much in game two.

I'd like to see how he responds Monday before I ramp up the criticism.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
He seems to be stuck again in that no-man's land of indecision on whether he should concentrate on being a shut-down defender or the roving 4th forward that rushes up ice on every chance. Myers certainly doesn't look comfortable in his positioning or reading the play.
That's why I'd like him to simplify his game -- worry about his own zone, be sure of his outlets and if needed, just take the lob up the middle or the chip off the glass rather than forcing things. Take the body, worry about defense first, the offense will come from making the smart play.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 10:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I thought Myers was solid in game one, but no so much in game two.

I'd like to see how he responds Monday before I ramp up the criticism.
Ramp up the criticism?

He is one of our best players and needs to be that in the playoffs if we expect to win.

From last post season to this one. He has yet to bring the game we've seen from him in the regular season

Btw he was pedestrian at best in game 1 and Butler saved his ass on numerous occassions.

Old
04-17-2011, 10:57 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Ramp up the criticism?

He is one of our best players and needs to be that in the playoffs if we expect to win.

From last post season to this one. He has yet to bring the game we've seen from him in the regular season

Btw he was pedestrian at best in game 1 and Butler saved his ass on numerous occassions.
Couldn't agree more.

And on another note regarding Myers, I often hear announcers say that agression and tenacity will come with age for the guy but the more I think about it, weren't most of us pretty aggressive and testosterone fueled at 20, 21? If the guy is going to be a shrinking violet physically now, I don't know why we should believe it will come to him later.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Couldn't agree more.

And on another note regarding Myers, I often hear announcers say that agression and tenacity will come with age for the guy but the more I think about it, weren't most of us pretty aggressive and testosterone fueled at 20, 21? If the guy is going to be a shrinking violet physically now, I don't know why we should believe it will come to him later.
I think they are refering more to him filling out his body and feeling more confident with his strength against grown men.

But I would say your basic disposition is present at this age. It may change a bit as you get older. But I can't imagine Myers turning into Pronger once his body fills out.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That's why I'd like him to simplify his game -- worry about his own zone, be sure of his outlets and if needed, just take the lob up the middle or the chip off the glass rather than forcing things. Take the body, worry about defense first, the offense will come from making the smart play.
I would like to see this as well.

Focus on the defense and the offense will come.

I read some comparisons to Doughty in the NHL thread. Doughty brought his offensive game to the playoffs last year with 3g 4a 7pts in 6games. Though he struggled defensively. This year he won a game singlehandly (last night) with 2g 2a 4pts.

Myers struggled last season offensively (1g 0a 1pt in 6gms) and had a hard time defensively with the Bruins forecheck. He has yet to make an imapct in this series.

The gap between them is bigger than I wanted to admit before the season.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-17-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The hit on Carter was nice, but that was about it yesterday. Even if it is simply making basic takeouts, he's still a load at his current size, big enough to wear on guys and if he's tossing them around, all the better. Just don't hurl them into the goaltender.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
We are going to have an awfully hard time beating the Flyers if Myers doesn't wake up.

His reactions to plays at times are slow. Then he ends up scrambling to catch up to the play. Other times he has looked lost in our zone and gets caught drifting out of position. When he has tried to rush the puck out of our zone he seems confused on what to do and ends up skating into Flyers and losing the puck. He also needs to be more physical, specifically in our end of the ice and around the net to protect Miller.

Maybe he was overwhelmed by the Philly atmosphere. He is still a young player after all. But he needs to correct things and quick. He can be an enormous asset for us and we need him.

Between last years playoffs and this year. Myers has struggled to carry his game over into the post season.

Thank god Butler has elevated his game as much as he has or that pair would be an utter nightmare.

I think Hartnell got on his nerves and Myers got angry about some things and lost his focus in Game 2. It happens, no need to get all over dramatic and call out a 21 year old defense man.

I mean let's take a breath and realize that THIS IS HARTNELL'S STYLE, he does this to 10 year veterans too, and it's indicative of Flyers hockey. They come at you with dirty stuff and call you a "explicits" and make you mad. Then they Dive all game.

Take for example the Crosschecking penalty Myers took when he checked Hartnell in front of his own net. Hartnell agitated Myers, went to the net, but instead of taking his lumps like a man he dove onto the back of Miller's leg to try and take him out of the series. They got to the Finals last season playing like this, this is all they know and they do it well.

Lesson learned, now the team has the home crowd, and they will be more focused for Game 3.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I think Hartnell got on his nerves and Myers got angry about some things and lost his focus in Game 2. It happens, no need to get all over dramatic and call out a 21 year old defense man.

I mean let's take a breath and realize that THIS IS HARTNELL'S STYLE, he does this to 10 year veterans too, and it's indicative of Flyers hockey. They come at you with dirty stuff and call you a "explicits" and make you mad. Then they Dive all game.

Take for example the Crosschecking penalty Myers took when he checked Hartnell in front of his own net. Hartnell agitated Myers, went to the net, but instead of taking his lumps like a man he dove onto the back of Miller's leg to try and take him out of the series. They got to the Finals last season playing like this, this is all they know and they do it well.

Lesson learned, now the team has the home crowd, and they will be more focused for Game 3.
Over dramatic?

Old
04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
sabresfan129103

I agree. He's been nothing short of awesome the 2nd half of the season. I'm not sure why his game has fallen off so much in the PO's. Is he having a tough time handling the pressure?

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:39 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Myers can play like a primed Lidstrom and we still won't beat the Flyers.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Over dramatic?
Yeah, I think you're over dramatizing the play of his 8 career playoff games, especially the last 2. He took a bad Trip in Game 1 but basically dominated the game by carrying the puck all over the ice, he was EVERYWHERE in game 1, he played GREAT. Game two was different, he didn't skate as much with the puck (and he should have) and he seemed preoccupied with Fartsmell and company. He forced some passes that were not there instead of exhaling and simply lofting it out of the zone.

So while I think some constructive criticism is justified, the initial post of this thread was more about calling him out on his effort and overlooking the great things he has done to dramatize the mistakes. I don't mean anything personal by it, I just think he deserves some credit and a little bit of understanding. He's earned my respect, but I do expect more consistency from him as he gains more NHL experience, and not just in the playoffs. He's a very young hockey player.

Old
04-17-2011, 12:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Yeah, I think you're over dramatizing the play of his 8 career playoff games, especially the last 2. He took a bad Trip in Game 1 but basically dominated the game by carrying the puck all over the ice, he was EVERYWHERE in game 1, he played GREAT. Game two was different, he didn't skate as much with the puck (and he should have) and he seemed preoccupied with Fartsmell and company. He forced some passes that were not there instead of exhaling and simply lofting it out of the zone.

So while I think some constructive criticism is justified, the initial post of this thread was more about calling him out on his effort and overlooking the great things he has done to dramatize the mistakes. I don't mean anything personal by it, I just think he deserves some credit and a little bit of understanding. He's earned my respect, but I do expect more consistency from him as he gains more NHL experience, and not just in the playoffs. He's a very young hockey player.
If thats what you think this is then your missing the point. I also don't recall saying anything about his effort just his decisions.

He is one of our best players and needs to be one of them or we wil have a tough time beating Philly.

Thats not drama thats fact. His age is irrelevant to that fact.

Fair or not this 21yr old is expected to be a minute eating all situations dman for us. If he can't handle that (regardless of the reason) then we are going to have a tough time.

Btw when I'm comparing his playoff performance to a guy the EXACT same age that has played in the EXACT same amount of playoff games. Its pretty pointless to counter that by pointing out his age and the amount of playoff games he has played.

Thats the point I should have made more of in my OP. I started the season viewing him as a Doughty level stud young dman not just some young kid learning the game. But one with an excelerated learning curve. His performances in the playoffs to date may mean he has a more traditional young dman develop curve ahead of him for the playoffs. Thats fine in the big picture but right now its a problem for us in this series with the amount we lean on him.

Hopefully he starts playing better and puts my concerns at ease. Its certainly a possibility. But right now he has me worried, not for his career but this playoff series.

So when I say he needs to get his game going and BECOME a playoff player. I hope you now get what I'm talking about.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-17-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old
04-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Yeah he looks like a nervous kid out there as soon as it comes playoff time. It was to be expected last year as he was a rookie and it was his first playoffs. This year however he has a playoffs under his belt (although be it only 1 series) and 2 regular seasons. There is no reason he shouldn't be bringing the strong game we saw from him during the 2nd half.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
If thats what you think this is then your missing the point. I also don't recall saying anything about his effort just his decisions.

He is one of our best players and needs to be one of them or we wil have a tough time beating Philly.

Fair or not this 21yr old is expected to be a minute eating all situations dman for us. If he can't handle that (regardless of the reason) then we are going to have a tough time.

Btw when I'm comparing his playoff performance to a guy the EXACT same age that has played in the EXACT same amount of playoff games. Its pretty pointless to counter that by pointing out his age and the amount of playoff games he has played.

Thats the point I should have made more of in my OP. I started the season viewing him as a Doughty level stud young dman not just some young kid learning the game. But one with an excelerated learning curve. His performances in the playoffs to date may mean he has a more traditional young dman develop curve ahead of him for the playoffs. Thats fine in the big picture but right now its a problem for us in this series with the amount we lean on him.

Hopefully he starts playing better and puts my concerns at ease. But right now he has me worried, not for his career but this playoff series.

So when I say he needs to get his game going and BECOME a playoff player. I hope you now get what I'm talking about.
The point wasn't lost on me... I got it from the title and the name of the thread starter. Not rocket science here. Myers hasn't brought anything close to his A-game to the playoffs. Like Chara, if he doesn't we won't win anything.

Very pleased with the way Butler, Weber and Gragnani have handled things. Sekera was a nightmare early yesterday. The goal settled him down.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
ColonelForbin

The team defense as a whole was more of an issue than Myers in Game 2. Myers was only on the ice for one of the Flyers 5 goals, and he played over a third of the game.

He can definitely be better. But I'm not sure he was one of the bigger reasons why they lost.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Myers can play like a primed Lidstrom and we still won't beat the Flyers.
Heh.

A primed Lidstrom would lead to a sweep tbh. Lidstrom's THAT good.

Anyway...

It's a bit frustrating, all in all.

Sekera, Monty and Leo started out the seasons strongly.
All 3 slowly fell off, Sekera got back on top of his game, then got injured, and it's a huge questionmark how he'll perform shift-to-shift. Seems tentative and visibly carrying an injury.

Monty's been getting better, but shades of the West Coast Monty are visible and hovering (especially in game 1).

Leo's out.

Myers had a strong 2nd half, but is having trouble now.

Weber surfaced, then had a bad stretch, then got his game up just in time for the playoffs.

Butler's had 2 really shoddy seasons in a row, bordering from bad to mediocre with a handful of excellent games just to piss you off and show you how much talent he's got....
But he's stepped up, and he's easily the most dependable and reliable defenseman out there at the moment, and for my tastes, the only D-man right now I'm comfortable with to make the right play every time.

Point is...
It's been up and down all year. Sekera carrying them, Monty-Leo carrying them, Myers, Weber/Butler...
But very rarely, did they have 4 or more of those guys playing at the top of their games AT THE SAME TIME.

Now, IMO, seeing how Sekera looked in game 2, I don't think he's gonna be able to contribute 22-25 minute nights like in the regular season, and they'll be lucky to get 12-14 mins of ES play from him with no GA and the odd rush down the ice.
(the goal yesterday hopefully helped, he looked awful to that point, decent after it... though still had some tough breaks, tied up Briere on the GWer nicely, bad bounce, etc.).

Monty's just... Monty, but capable of turning it up... You just can't count on it.

So yeah, in the end, Myers has to be the one to join Butler and Weber and carry them on D.
Otherwise, I don't see them winning this series against the offense Flyers have.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:45 PM
slip

Quote:
Ramp up the criticism?

I thought he was better in game 1 than you're giving him credit for, even if it wasn't his best game. But he's clearly not performing like he should be, as you say.

I didn't mean that Myers is beyond criticism. I only meant that I'm waiting to see how this team responds in game 3 before I start becoming more negative about certain players. If Myers repeats his game two performance in game 3, the gloves should and will come off.

But I'm not holding him particularly responsible; there's a list of guys -- Ennis, Sekera, Boyes, Poms, Ennis, Stafford, Miller -- who need to be much better next game. We got here as a team and we'll fail as one unless everybody brings their A game Monday night.

I say whoever wins game 3 wins the series.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
There's something wrong with him, either an injury or illness. In game one he averaged only 35 seconds per shift. That was the team low. Yet he took the second highest number of shifts, 38 to Butler's 39. That simply doesn't happen with a top dman unless it's planned that way. For all we know, Persson may have been called up in case Myers couldn't play. In game 2 he took 40 second shifts which was second to Butler. That's what I'd expect, but I don't think it was by design. It was probably forced by all the penalties. His skating lacks acceleration. He doesn't have that burst where he can pull away from people. That's a huge part of his game. The stamina isn't there either. He's laboring at times. In the regular season he averaged 48 seconds per shift.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

Hopefully he starts playing better and puts my concerns at ease. Its certainly a possibility. But right now he has me worried, not for his career but this playoff series.

I may be guilty of over dramatizing myself, but the fact that there is a thread about Myers play that does in fact insinuate that he is not yet a "playoff performer", is in my opinion over reacting. A few comments in the post game forum regarding his play would have been normal, but feel free to carry on. I've already added all that needs to be said in this thread.

He's fine.

Old
04-17-2011, 02:51 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
If this was a "Miller needs to be better" thread...people would be accused of "hating"

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Ghills23

He's definitely trying to force plays both offensively and defensively. He needs to play his game and stay out of the box. He is obviously a key component to our success.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote