HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Dumont & Drury to be bought out this summer?

Old
05-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Sabretip ... I see what you mean, and agree with most of what you say. On the topic of Drury, I just think (and I could be wrong, I'm not psychic like others on this forum ) he will be offered more than 2 mil. from at least 1 team. I hope he would choose Buffalo if we threw 1.5 mil. At him, but I don't see it happening. Oh well, we will see..
Maybe one of the bottom-feeders in desperate need of some veteran credibility / notoriety (i.e. Atlanta, Islanders, Columbus) may up the ante and offer him more but do you think he'd accept more to play for a doormat the remaining years of his career, rather than accept the reality of what he's worth with a chance to play for a winner?

I know it's a long shot and I don't have a crystal ball. I've probably been beating the Drury drum a bit too much for some but there is a logic in the Sabre scenario IMO.....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Maybe one of the bottom-feeders in desperate need of some veteran credibility / notoriety (i.e. Atlanta, Islanders, Columbus) may up the ante and offer him more but do you think he'd accept more to play for a doormat the remaining years of his career, rather than accept the reality of what he's worth with a chance to play for a winner?

I know it's a long shot and I don't have a crystal ball. I've probably been beating the Drury drum a bit too much for some but there is a logic in the Sabre scenario IMO.....
At $1.25 M (-ish), Drury in the bottom six is damned intriguing. Again, the Niedermayer role as someone with a Cup ring, checks, PKs, wins faceoffs... and has a pedigree for raising his game at important times. That he's of an age that he will likely be looking at perhaps his last ever contract, going to a team on the cusp is probably a bigger consideration. Hell, I could see the perrenial Cup contenders looking at him (say Detroit to replace Modano or any of the top three in the East from this year) to fill the same role we're talking about here.

Again, it's an intriguing idea if the money and term are right IF the Rangers buy him out.

05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
At $1.25 M (-ish), Drury in the bottom six is damned intriguing. Again, the Niedermayer role as someone with a Cup ring, checks, PKs, wins faceoffs... and has a pedigree for raising his game at important times. That he's of an age that he will likely be looking at perhaps his last ever contract, going to a team on the cusp is probably a bigger consideration. Hell, I could see the perrenial Cup contenders looking at him (say Detroit to replace Modano or any of the top three in the East from this year) to fill the same role we're talking about here.
It's of course easy for a fan to cling to theories like I am - but there are a lot of facts to rely on to support the theory:
1) Drury has publicly admitted that he learned more under Ruff than any other coach.
2) Drury has publicly admitted that he and his family loved Buffalo the most of the four cities he's played in.
3) Drury's exit was heavily influenced by Quinn/Golisano pulling his contract extension off the table, and how shabbily the same two treated Briere, Drury's co-captain. Quinn and Golisano are no longer around.
4) The Sabres very likely would not use Drury in a top 6 role, thus reducing the extent of expectations.
5) As you say, the Sabres will lose the veteran leadership of Grier and Niedermayer (coupled with what was lost when Rivet was waived).
6) If the Ranger signing of $7M/yr is put aside as the aberration it was, Drury was earning $3.25M in his final year with the Sabres, when he was 5 years younger and more capable offensively. A $1.5M - $1.75M range seems commensurate with what the market for other 35-year old, 3rd line checkers are around the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Again, it's an intriguing idea if the money and term are right IF the Rangers buy him out.
Unless there's a huge divide between Sather and Tortorella - which the recent contract extension of Tortorella would refute - it seems not so much a case of "IF" but "WHEN" the buyout happens. Tortorella all but said in his exit interviews for the summer that Drury may no longer fit into the Rangers' plans, not to mention their cap issues if they want to pursue free agents.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Drury being bought out means bad things for the other thread "landing Brad Richards"

It means they're shedding salary to make room for a deal to bring Brad to NY.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
Drury being bought out means bad things for the other thread "landing Brad Richards"

It means they're shedding salary to make room for a deal to bring Brad to NY.
Maybe, maybe not...so much is made of the Richards-Tortorella connection but really that's all the Rangers have as an edge over other suitors.

Two big factors that Richards has mentioned in recent months:

1) His Tampa experience showed him the dangers of signing a mega-contract that handicaps his team's payroll - thereby, dollars apparently won't be as important as term. With a level playing field financially, the Rangers won't be able to just outspend other teams like they usually do to win a free agent.

2) He understands that this will be his final contract and wants to be a part of a winning organization that can consistently compete every season for the Cup. Are the Rangers or Maple Leafs really any closer to that criteria than Buffalo or Dallas?

Old
05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Jooce81

any chance Briere gets bought out

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Sabretip

For anyone wondering what Drury's feelings about the Sabres and city of Buffalo since leaving, this was an interview as part of NHL Network's "Captains" series from Feb. 2009:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/428869...ury_segment_1/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/428870...ury_segment_2/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/428871...ury_segment_3/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/428871...ury_segment_4/

In the final minute of the 3rd segment, he speaks highly of playing for Regier, Ruff and the organization and what it meant in his own development.

In the 4th segment, he admits that NY was the only place he would have left Buffalo for. With that not working out like he hoped, one would think he'd be happy to return if the Sabres wanted him back.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Stone87

Don't forget about Kotalik...he is likely to be bought out too. Let's get the band back together.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Ugh, Kotalik ....

NOOOOOOOOO!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:17 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone87 View Post
Don't forget about Kotalik...he is likely to be bought out too. Let's get the band back together.
Yeah im just jonsing to see Hecht-Drury-Kotalik back together ..

Seriously though he would fir in perfect on the 3rd line and if they go flip a couple guys for a Top Center I would be very pleased..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
One option to shed salary is buying out the contract of veteran right winger J-P Dumont. He has one year at $4 million remaining on his deal, but his performance has deteriorated in recent years, which makes it difficult to justify another season at that salary.

Poile declined to say what his plans were for Dumont and preferred to meet with the veteran privately in the coming weeks to discuss his future with the team.

It's possible they’d demote Dumont to the minors, but given Nashville’s cost-conscious ways it's a stretch to imagine the team burying a $4 million contract on its farm team. A trade is also unlikely, which leaves a buyout as Nashville’s only viable solution unless Dumont decides to retire.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...offseason.html

Old
05-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Drury rumors 'unfounded'
There's a rumor that has made the rounds that the Rangers would somehow stash Chris Drury and his $7.05-million cap hit in the minors next year. Not going to happen.

"That's an unfounded rumor," Drury's agent Mark Witkin told ESPN.com Saturday.

The fact is, they can't. He's got a no-movement clause. You can't do a thing to a player with a no-movement clause.

So, Drury holds all the cards. He did come back from a serious knee injury this year and that's something he's going to look at this summer, how he feels physically. But I don't sense he's going to do the Rangers any favors and retire. He's either on the team next year or the Rangers bite the bullet and buy him out. A buyout would count $3.7 million against the Rangers' cap next season and $1.6 million in 2012-13.

The Rangers, of course, are expected to be heavy bidders on UFA Brad Richards come July 1. In the meantime, they also have two key RFAs: Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-drurys-future

Old
06-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Sabretip

Official now - Drury yesterday, Dumont today....

Quote:
The Nasville Predators have bought out the contract of forward J-P Dumont, making the veteran an unrestricted free agent.
Quote:
Dumont had one-year left at $4 millon on his four-year deal with Nashville. His buyout will cost the Predators $1.66 million in the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons.
Quote:
Dumont, like Chris Dury in New York, did not need to be put on waivers for the buyout to take place because of his no move clause.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370462