HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

"Two line changes expected for Sabres"

Old
04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
"Two line changes expected for Sabres"

Not that we weren't expecting this --

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

Quote:
The Sabres will host the Flyers for Game Three tonight with two new looks on the forward lines. Brad Boyes is expected to drop down from his spot as the second-line center to play with Cody McCormick and Mike Grier; both McCormick and Boyes can play center and wing. Rob Niedermayer is moving up to play center for left wing Tyler Ennis and right wing Drew Stafford.

"The guys that Iím looking to be going with, itís going to be good," said Boyes, who hasn't scored in 13 games. "Weíre going to get it in, forecheck and play in their zone. Itís more meat-and-potatoes, which is nice."

04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
ohheyimmark

I guess this means no Jochen for tonight.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
I guess this means no Jochen for tonight.
Jochen? Has he even returned to practice yet? I really don't even expect to see him before a Game 6 or Game 7 of this series, and probably not until the 2nd round, if Buffalo makes it.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Jochen? Has he even returned to practice yet? I really don't even expect to see him before a Game 6 or Game 7 of this series, and probably not until the 2nd round, if Buffalo makes it.
Wasn't there some interview in German where he said he hoped to be back for Game Two?

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
No, he hasn't, at least not according to WGR this morning (no link, sorry).

He's got a concussion and hasn't practiced yet...I don't know why so many people thought he was coming back.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

It's good that Boyes is going to be back in his natural position. Hopefully the reduced ice time will motivate him to take advantage of what he has and capitalize.

1point21Gigawatts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Lindy reads HF.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by proyce241 View Post
It's good that Boyes is going to be back in his natural position. Hopefully the reduced ice time will motivate him to take advantage of what he has and capitalize.
Did anyone else get a squeamish feeling when reading Boyes' take on the change?:

Quote:
Coach Lindy Ruff said following today's morning skate that Boyes needs to get inside more. Boyes says the new linemates will drive him there.

"It will force me to go there, put pucks at the net," Boyes said. "That’s where they’re going to put the puck, and it’s a simple game. That’s good sometimes. You need that just to get back to basics if things aren’t going well. You want to keep it simple, and this will be a good line to do that.

"I feel I can definitely chip in, get things going, and I think tonight’s the night, for myself, that I’m looking to do that."
I was happy with Boyes' acquisition and play in the first two weeks after the trade but since he's been centering a line, his play nosedived - and this stance that he needs new linemates to motivate a change in his own play does not paint a flattering picture of his character and attitude to be proactive about his own play, rather than reactive to the other two guys he plays with.

There are enough others on this team that always need a kick in the pants to wake up and change their games - I'm not crazy about hearing Boyes admit to needing the same.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Did anyone else get a squeamish feeling when reading Boyes' take on the change?:

I was happy with Boyes' acquisition and play in the first two weeks after the trade but since he's been centering a line, his play nosedived - and this stance that he needs new linemates to motivate a change in his own play does not paint a flattering picture of his character and attitude to be proactive about his own play, rather than reactive to the other two guys he plays with.

There are enough others on this team that always need a kick in the pants to wake up and change their games - I'm not crazy about hearing Boyes admit to needing the same.
Not really. His play adapts to his linemates. I don't have an issue with that. Playing with Ennis it's going to be a finesse line, while playing with Grier and McCormick will be more of a forechecking line. He didn't say anything about how he doesn't like going into corners or isn't used to it.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
SoFFacet

How many people would have been happy about Niedermayer as 2nd line center if you had been told in December amirite? But I am super pumped, I think he leads that line to playoff glory.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Not really. His play adapts to his linemates. I don't have an issue with that. Playing with Ennis it's going to be a finesse line, while playing with Grier and McCormick will be more of a forechecking line. He didn't say anything about how he doesn't like going into corners or isn't used to it.
If Ruff tells him - or any other player - that they need to "go to the inside more", do they really need to be prodded with a physical change of linemates to spark that instead of just accepting their own initiative to play that way on their own?

I don't know but it just sounds like another player being more of a reactionary follower a la Connolly and some others than being a proactive leader IMO.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
How many people would have been happy about Niedermayer as 2nd line center if you had been told in December amirite? But I am super pumped, I think he leads that line to playoff glory.
Hold your horses - he hasn't been bad in the first 2 games but Niedermayer hasn't exactly done enough to start jumping up and down with excitement either. Personally, I'm a little concerned that, as the center, he'll be far slower and behind the play more often than either of his two wingers.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Somehow, I neglected the fact that Boyes is moving to a line with Grier and will most likely not being assuming RW responsibilities. My bad. That said, I still think this is a good way to light burner under his butt. You are right in that it's not really great that he needs this kind of motivation, but i think it's positive that he recognizes the need for him to step up his game. Let's see if he follows through, tonight.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by proyce241 View Post
Somehow, I neglected the fact that Boyes is moving to a line with Grier and will most likely not being assuming RW responsibilities. My bad. That said, I still think this is a good way to light burner under his butt. You are right in that it's not really great that he needs this kind of motivation, but i think it's positive that he recognizes the need for him to step up his game. Let's see if he follows through, tonight.
Splitting hairs here but being told by the coach that he needs to step up his game after 13 games without a goal is much different than recognizing it on his own and doing something about it....

Old
04-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sometimes a line is just a bad mix of skills and changing one of the pieces, altering one set of skills, can make a difference. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go back EBS/NMG at times tonight too.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Someone had to say it, another Regier trade ends up a 4th liner.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post

....while another 4th liner is due to get 2nd line minutes.

Old
04-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
At center, yes. Hardly a fair judgement for Boyes.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Didn't Boyes complain that St. Louis was too much of a meat and potatoes type of game for him to produce? And now he likes the idea of it?

Hmmm...

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Heh, for now. I am still confident in Boyes. He just needs to go back to playing simple hockey and not worry about matching Ennis and Stafford's finesse style of hockey. Tonight will be a big test for him. If he remains a ghost then i may be singing a different tune this time tomorrow.

Old
04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I think it will be good, both because I think that Nieds and Stafford will be able to get a cycle going and Boyes will be playing with two guys who can reliably get the puck to the net, which is where he produced earlier in his stint here.

Hopefully Gerbe-Goose-Vanek gets some shifts as a change of pace option. That's the line I was really hoping to see more of (and more of Gerbe in general).

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Ghills23

I hope Niedermayer can handle the top 6 minutes. His skating has been awesome the first 2 games.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Kruschiki

Those are going to be some long shifts.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Well, this is interesting. Neidermeyer is completely unraveled by the Flyers agitation tactics, and he's playing smart hockey, so it's a wise move.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:12 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Well, this is interesting. Neidermeyer is completely unraveled by the Flyers agitation tactics, and he's playing smart hockey, so it's a wise move.
Huh?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote