HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POTG & GBR: ECQF Game 3 vs. Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: ECQF Game 3 vs. Washington Capitals
Brian Boyle 12 6.63%
Brandon Dubinsky 105 58.01%
Ruslan Fedotenko 20 11.05%
Dan Girardi 4 2.21%
Henrik Lundqvist 20 11.05%
Ryan McDonagh 3 1.66%
Vaclav Prospal 8 4.42%
Brandon Prust 5 2.76%
Michael Sauer 0 0%
Marc Staal 2 1.10%
Other 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
He has gotten a ton of chances. Can't really be mad other than with his finish, his effort is fine.
I'm pretty sure he's paid to finish. His shot is garbage.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Another big update. I have to say the NY papers have definitely stepped up their coverage. Good stuff.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
OverTheCap

Gaborik is at least putting forth an honest effort now, but he looked really nervous out there yesterday. He was indecisive and hesitant on the 5-on-3, and he had a great opportunity to snipe one but ripped it wide. He's definitely gripping the stick a bit too tight now, I think the pressure may be getting to him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Gaborik is at least putting forth an honest effort now, but he looked really nervous out there yesterday. He was indecisive and hesitant on the 5-on-3, and he had a great opportunity to snipe one but ripped it wide. He's definitely gripping the stick a bit too tight now, I think the pressure may be getting to him.
You hit the nail on the head. He doesn't have the mental-toughness to pull himself out of a slump. Instead, he just goes deeper and deeper into his little shell of impotency. He's mentally weak. To me, it's obvious...just look at him. Really look at his eyes. You'll see what I'm talking about. No fire.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Zero points? What are you talking about, you make absolutely no sense? Blame the fact that he's the only player with more than average talent on this team.
From http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...in_game_3.html
:
"The coach could use a scorer. Everybody knows that. He doesn't have one, not really. Marian Gaborik played more than 21 minutes Sunday and managed only three harmless shots on goal."

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Black Tank

Some fans need to realize that Gaborik is NOT a Lemieux or Jagr type player. He is not going to dominate a shift, much less a game. He is going to snipe, when he's on he's going to find the net, when he's off he's going to shoot over the crossbar on a 5 on 3...

He's our best scorer but not our best player because of his style and he is fairly easy to shut down. But that's where we're at with talent in the organization and we have to make the best of it for now. He got some good shots off, they didn't go in, move on to the next game.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Don't even bother, man. You're not going to convince him of anything. Some people need a whipping boy. Gaborik makes his living in open space, which he has gotten none of this year because we have no other high-ends talents on the roster to take the heat off of him.

To blame Gaborik entirely for this season is to completely misunderstand how he puts up points as a player. He's not going to excel on a team full of grinding cyclers.
Neither will Zuke. The Rangers better trade him for both theres and his case if they are continue to grind another year

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Some fans need to realize that Gaborik is NOT a Lemieux or Jagr type player. He is not going to dominate a shift, much less a game. He is going to snipe, when he's on he's going to find the net, when he's off he's going to shoot over the crossbar on a 5 on 3...

He's our best scorer but not our best player because of his style and he is fairly easy to shut down. But that's where we're at with talent in the organization and we have to make the best of it for now. He got some good shots off, they didn't go in, move on to the next game.
So basically he's Petr Nedved that some people on here try to sell as "elite"? Exactly my thoughts. haha

Old
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Rangers2319

Quote:
Don't even bother, man. You're not going to convince him of anything. Some people need a whipping boy. Gaborik makes his living in open space, which he has gotten none of this year because we have no other high-ends talents on the roster to take the heat off of him.

To blame Gaborik entirely for this season is to completely misunderstand how he puts up points as a player. He's not going to excel on a team full of grinding cyclers.
Excellent point, and also last time we had an elite player on our team that was consistent every year was Jagr. And its because of the reason you state above open space. There have been solid veterans surrounding Jagr his whole career here where if the focus was on him we had other players to take control. Jagr-Nylander-Straka ill never forget that line. when Shanny was brought in it was even better

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Neither will Zuke. The Rangers better trade him for both theres and his case if they are continue to grind another year
I don't think that is necessarily true. With Stepan, Zuccarello, Sauer, and McD getting another year of experience, the possibility that we may see MDZ, Kreider, and Thomas in the lineup next year, and the chance we may nab Brad Richards in FA this summer; I would not be surprised if we could transition to a more talent/skill-based offensive scheme next year.

Alot of things would have to fall the right way, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Black Tank

Just got done listening to the post-game comments and reading some of the boards.

So the Caps fans believe they dominated the game yesterday and only flukey luck kept them from a W. I know most of them are new to the sport so maybe that explains it, but what I saw was a tentative Caps team that didn't want to pay the price for winning the battles. They sat back hoping to counter with dazzling highlight plays instead of actually competing.

Listening to the post game comments showed this was exactly their mindset, between Boudreau's whining about the refs not letting his team hook and hold (ticky-tack or the interference rules that have been enforced for years?) and complaints about how rough the Rangers played, to Backstrom's petulance about getting called for the behind the play trip (surprise, another interference play by the Caps...)

The Rangers don't have the scoring this year to be a real threat, but they are going to leave the Caps bruised and fragile.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I'm pretty sure he's paid to finish. His shot is garbage.
Gaborik has trouble skating. He has a debilitating injury, IMHO. It is a matter of time to find out he's playing hurt. Skating is a key to accurate shooting in case you don't know.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
So basically he's Petr Nedved that some people on here try to sell as "elite"? Exactly my thoughts. haha
Wrong. Nedved could dominate the play much better in his prime. You seem to have a completely different expectation of Gaborik than what he's actually done his entire career, get over it. If we could find a more complete or dominant elite player than I'm all for it but I don't see them lying around and going for cheap.

I'm more interested in whether Gaborik can get hot with his shot in time to make a difference this series.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wrong. Nedved could dominate the play much better in his prime. You seem to have a completely different expectation of Gaborik than what he's actually done his entire career, get over it. If we could find a more complete or dominant elite player than I'm all for it but I don't see them lying around and going for cheap.

I'm more interested in whether Gaborik can get hot with his shot in time to make a difference this series.
Pretty much this.

04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:

EXACTLY my point. Nedved could definitely dominate the play better than Gaborik. I've never been high on Gaborik. People on this board time and time again tried to sell me that he was an "elite" player, a "ppg" player, etc. He's just not that good, and we're witnessing exactly how bad he can be when his little head isn't surrounded by flying robins and butterflies.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Jersey Girl

Thoughts:

1. FINALLY we make life a little difficult for Neuvirth. The kid has been way too comfortable until yesterday. Get in his face, fall on him by 'mistake', take the extra jab at a puck he's covered, knock a defenseman into him during a scrum...just let him know you're there, and that you'll be back.

2. It's so nice when we don't have to rely on Hank to win games for us.

3. Who the heck cares what Bruce Boudreau says?

4. Keeping hitting Mike Green. Hard. Hit him to eliminate him.

5. At this point it seems kinda silly that Zuccarello played game one instead of Avery.

6. Jeez Drury barely plays. Just an observation...not criticizing.

7. Thought the NBC crew did an excellent job. I love Sam but Emrick is better, and Olczyk and Pang are a refreshing change from the same Micheletti mantra over and over again.

8. That was some shot by Christensen, but at even strength he and Wolski are non-factors. They're doing their Zherdev impersonations of staying out of the danger zones where you have to pay the price.

9. Never did see a great replay of the 'non-goal' at the end of the second. What happened to the camera IN the goal?

10. One of my first hockey memories when I was small is Bob Brooke's OT goal in 1986 to tie the Cap series at 2-2. Rangers won in six...let's do it again.

11. On 5-on-3's they have to pull the guy in front of the net up higher into the slot when the puck goes down low on the side of the net. Too much 'straight-line', where one d-man can block a pass to two guys. They need a triangle to form.

12. They also need to move the puck quicker on both 5-on-3 and 5-on-4. I'm talking to you, Brian McCabe. And can you please get the puck through to the net more than once out of every ten shots?

13. Gotta give Tortorella credit for going with the guys who are getting the job done.

14. Let's be loud and proud Wednesday night!

15. And let's rattle Neuvirth...no fly-by's in front of the goal...go hard to the net, get there, and stay there. Let's see a Brian Boyle rush around the outside that results in Neuvirth being steamrolled Lundqvist-style.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Gaborik had no problem last season with the grinding cyclers. He played for Jacques Lemaire and the Wild played Jacques hockey.

The Rangers are going to need Gaborik to score some goals if they want to win this series. He has a chance to erase his regular season performance in this series.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Just got done listening to the post-game comments and reading some of the boards.

So the Caps fans believe they dominated the game yesterday and only flukey luck kept them from a W. I know most of them are new to the sport so maybe that explains it, but what I saw was a tentative Caps team that didn't want to pay the price for winning the battles. They sat back hoping to counter with dazzling highlight plays instead of actually competing.

Listening to the post game comments showed this was exactly their mindset, between Boudreau's whining about the refs not letting his team hook and hold (ticky-tack or the interference rules that have been enforced for years?) and complaints about how rough the Rangers played, to Backstrom's petulance about getting called for the behind the play trip (surprise, another interference play by the Caps...)

The Rangers don't have the scoring this year to be a real threat, but they are going to leave the Caps bruised and fragile.
THIS.
THIS.
THIS.
THIS.

I think we have a small chance to win this series. However, my head tells me that the much greater chance is that the caps win in 6 or 7.

But you know what? We're not going to make it easy on them. Punish them over and over. I said before the series started that, even if we lose, the caps aren't making it out of the 2nd round. They're going to be easy pickings for whoever they face next, should they beat us.

I would feel at peace if we could do that to the #1 seed. Even though I want us to win just as badly as anyone else, I would be ok with losing if we make the caps pay the price. Seeing as how this team was predicted to finish bottom-5 in the league and had an injury-plagued season, I'm brimming with pride. Even though I get frustrated sometimes, this season has been a pleasure.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McCabe stinks. It could have been worse if the Rangers gave up a #1 pick and former #1 pick to rent Kaberle who has sucked the big one in Boston. Or Souray with another year on his contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gaborik had no problem last season with the grinding cyclers. He played for Jacques Lemaire and the Wild played Jacques hockey.

The Rangers are going to need Gaborik to score some goals if they want to win this series. He has a chance to erase his regular season performance in this series.
Personally, I don't think he can do it right now. I don't know whether it was the concussion or the lower body injury, but his shot is just not right and hasn't been right for the last couple of months. Maybe he can gut his way through though b/c I think the effort and desire are there.

Old
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Pretty much this.
Pretty much you have no clue what you're talking about...literally.

You defend him blindly, now all of a sudden my expectations are too high? Which is it?

First he's elite on this board, now he's not even as good as Nedved?

There are a lot of bipolar Gaborik fanboys on here that keep flip-flopping like there's no tomorrow.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

http://twitter.com/kcarrera

Boudreau wants the league to look at the hit by Marc Staal to the back of Mike Green's head late in the 2nd, same shift as Ovechkin's goal.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post

Boudreau wants the league to look at the hit by Marc Staal to the back of Mike Green's head late in the 2nd, same shift as Ovechkin's goal.
he is such a whiny ***** it is unbelievable

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post

I would like the league to look at every hit Ovechkin has ever thrown.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
I would like the league to look at every hit Ovechkin has ever thrown.
About to post this.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote