HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick for a 3 year old

Old
04-20-2011, 03:17 AM
mike14

vCash: 500
Stick for a 3 year old

Guys, need some help finding a stick for my 3.5 year old son. he's seen me playing hockey and wants to do the same.
Problem is, he's approx '42 tall and the smallest sticks I can find are '45. Does anyone know where I can get shorter sticks? Also, if I can't find smaller ones, how easy is it to cut down a hockey stick?

Appreciate any help

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:20 AM
noobman

At this age it's important to start him out right. You'll really want to invest in a good hockey stick for your kid. I'd recommend an Easton EQ:50 as it is very lightweight and will maximize the velocity of your kid's shot given its low flex rating and kick point.

In all seriousness, it's very easy to cut down a stick. Just get a short, cheap wood one and cut it down a few inches. All you really need is a handsaw.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:41 AM
izzy3

You can get him something like this.

It's not like he's going to complain that it's not the right flex...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

They now offer composite mini-sticks. They are a bit bigger than the typical plastic mini-stick and are pretty cool. I would have bought one for my son but the ones I saw were all the wrong hand.

When my son was 3 I think I just bought a cheap wooden stick and cut it down, but he played a lot of mini-sticks in the living room as well. You can get plastic floor hockey sticks as well that are pretty small.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Get a plastic one to play with, or if you're actually thinking of getting him into ice hockey then just cut down a wood one. They cost $20, and you'll be buying many different ones anyway if he's playing that young.

Cutting it down is easy, just sand or tape the end a bit once you're done.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
pelts35.com

I got my son his first stick around the same age and picked up a Reebok 1K and cut it down for him. You can pick them up for between $15 and $20.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Get the cheapest youth wood stick you can find and cut it down. The stick won't matter until he's several years older because the most important thing is skating and balance. Those little composites are toy sticks, I'd skip it (my 2-year-old has one but he prefers the plastic mini stick that came with his little net).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
mooseOAK*

Go to the rink and check the garbage cans for sticks broken in half, that's what my buddies with small kids to.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
beth

Get him a cheap, straight wood stick and cut it down. At 3.5, handedness isn't set in yet, and they'll be switching all the time. I'm helping with the beginners now, and I keep seeing kids who obviously were given a curved stick for the wrong hand. Once they've been playing with a straight stick for a while and you know for sure which way they like to hold it, then you can get a curved one.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:08 PM
HolyRollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Go to the rink and check the garbage cans for sticks broken in half, that's what my buddies with small kids to.
I did this for my younger cousins every time I broke a stick in half. Pretty funny to see 5 and 6 year-olds running around with half Synergies and XXXXs haha.

HolyRollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
ponder

+1 for getting the shortest cheap woodie you can find and just cutting it down to the appropriate size. I'm actually surprised you play hockey and didn't know that it was normal to cut down sticks, most guys (of all ages) cut their sticks down to their preferred height.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
+1 for getting the shortest cheap woodie you can find and just cutting it down to the appropriate size. I'm actually surprised you play hockey and didn't know that it was normal to cut down sticks, most guys (of all ages) cut their sticks down to their preferred height.
Yeah, I'm very much a beginner and hockey in Australia isn't that intense at that level. i find a stick about the right size and just play.

Thanks for all help guys, it's time to go shopping...

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Yeah, I'm very much a beginner and hockey in Australia isn't that intense at that level. i find a stick about the right size and just play.

Thanks for all help guys, it's time to go shopping...
Makes sense. Out of curiosity, when you stand your own stick on the tip of it's blade, while in bare feet, where does the butt end come up to? Eyes, nose, mouth, chin, collar bone?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote