HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

It's official: Shea Weber- Norris Finalist

Old
04-25-2011, 11:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
It's official: Shea Weber- Norris Finalist

www.nhl.com

While I think Rinne is the runner-up to Thomas, I think Weber has a very, very good chance of winning the Norris. Nearly every "major" journalist that has released their ballot voted for Weber.

Hopefully this is just another major achievement he pulls down this offseason, along with winning the Cup and signing a 15 year deal to remain a lifelong Pred

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Oh captain my captain

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

That's awesome ... I wonder if Suter will get his just due next year & get a nomination, because in all honesty, he has been right at Shea's level all year long ... I just want to have the ability to watch them for the next 10 years

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:02 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I still think there is a litle bit of media conspiracy pumping weber up this year.

I think the media is hoping if he wins the Norris he will be in play as a free agent.

Suter wont get nominated because he doesnt score as much, which isnt fair, but its what gets the attention.

My ideal scenario is long term deals for both, and in 2014 they are each captain of their respective Olympic teams.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:10 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I think he will win it, I really do

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Suter was hurt this year, or he might have been in the consideration.

Honestly, I think Weber wins this. He should win over Chara and Lidstrom IMO. Weber's secondary statistics are just so good - blocked shots, hits, TOI, PK time, etc....Lidstrom scored a lot of points, but he is not the defenseman he once was. He still is a pp magician.

04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
dulzhok

Suter won't get consideration because he doesn't put up numbers. He needs doesn't have the shooting ability, or hasn't found it yet.

Let's hope he finds it, because there is no better way to score goals than playing opposite of Shea on the PP. I wouldn't be shocked to see Blum get his spot of the 1st PP next year.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
canadianpredsfan97

Glad to hear the news. You know what I'd love to see someone do with the magic of Photoshop. Put our award nominees into one photo. Poile, Trotz, Rinne and Weber.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:31 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Suter won't get consideration because he doesn't put up numbers. He needs doesn't have the shooting ability, or hasn't found it yet.

Let's hope he finds it, because there is no better way to score goals than playing opposite of Shea on the PP. I wouldn't be shocked to see Blum get his spot of the 1st PP next year.
That's Suter's biggest weakness, by far. He's such a solid player, but his shot isn't anywhere near the caliber of a lot of other great defensemen. Having two legit point threats would do wonders for opening up the power play and allowing more room for our less talented forward core to work.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Firestorm

Absolutely deserved.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 03:50 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
That's Suter's biggest weakness, by far. He's such a solid player, but his shot isn't anywhere near the caliber of a lot of other great defensemen. Having two legit point threats would do wonders for opening up the power play and allowing more room for our less talented forward core to work.

Ryan Ellis is coming.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

even if Shea doesn't win, just the fact he's been nominated brings alot of excitement to the city. not to mention Rinne and Poile, more than likely Trotz all being nominated for awards.. Alot of national attention on this little ol small market!

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
even if Shea doesn't win, just the fact he's been nominated brings alot of excitement to the city. not to mention Rinne and Poile, more than likely Trotz all being nominated for awards.. Alot of national attention on this little ol small market!
its almost like we have finally been included in the "cool" crowd in high school.

we have been so persistent despite all the tough things that have been flung at us that we have achieved a grudging admiration from the hockey elitists.

I think that going forward the only "Nashville doesnt deserve a team/isnt a hockey market" comments will be from the lunatic fringe

not that we give a crap about the approval of the "elite", but it will still be nice not to hear that kind of drivel any more

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Shea for the Norris, Peks for the Vezina, Preds in the 2nd round.

You know who we are now ****ers!!

This is awesome, noone from my teams has one anything since Jagr's Pearson in '06. Got some good chances this year.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:35 PM
PredsChik

As one of Suter's biggest fans, he'll get his nod one day. I have no doubt. Things happen for a reason, had Sutes not been hurt by that ***** Cory Sarich, we arguably could have done better in that 12 game span, seeded higher and gotten matched up against a team we might not have matched well against. Same way Pekka got the snub in the ASG, what if it had been him instead of Hiller? This team is on it's way to bigger things with more recognition than I ever thought we'd get. Weber being a finalist for the Norris, Pekka for the Vezina, did you ever think we'd see the day? And if Trotz doesn't win the Adams, color me shocked.

I think this is Shea's year.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
predfan24

I think it's a fair argument to say Suter might be better than Weber. But Suter will never win a Norris because he doesn't score enough goals or points and his game isn't loud enough. He doesn't hit or shoot hard. He's just an amazingly slick player.

I do think Weber had a better series than Sutes. Sutes seemed to have a little trouble handling the size of RPG at times and because of that I saw him get beat in one on one situations more than I've ever seen. No other teams left have guys who have the combination of size/skill/speed that RPG has so I think you will notice Suter playing a lot better in the upcoming series.

Congrats to Shea, his media hype could not be higher at the moment so I think he will win it.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
PredsChik

The votes have already been cast, Weber, Lidstrom, and Character were the top 3 vote getters, not 3 for a group to choose from, how he's playing in the playoffs has no sway on if he wins or not, if he wins, he's already won it.

And had Suter not been hurt he would have passed his career points total and gotten close to, if not over 50 pts, as well as Shea adding to his.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 08:08 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think it's a fair argument to say Suter might be better than Weber. But Suter will never win a Norris because he doesn't score enough goals or points and his game isn't loud enough. He doesn't hit or shoot hard. He's just an amazingly slick player.

I do think Weber had a better series than Sutes. Sutes seemed to have a little trouble handling the size of RPG at times and because of that I saw him get beat in one on one situations more than I've ever seen. No other teams left have guys who have the combination of size/skill/speed that RPG has so I think you will notice Suter playing a lot better in the upcoming series.

Congrats to Shea, his media hype could not be higher at the moment so I think he will win it.
On one hand, you want Shea and Pekka to win, on the other, it could really hurt contract negotiations.

Especially in Rinne's case, great regular season and shaky so far in the playoffs. One series doesn't make a goalie, and a lot of those questions will be answered in the coming round I suppose. But, you hate fork out $6m+ for regular season success and potential playoff letdown.

Suter is a great defenseman, but he lacks the offense of the truly elite. Lidstorm is a great dman, but he also pots about 15g per year and runs a killer PP. So, I hope Suter doesn't seek that kind of money. I think something more in the Michalek, Martin, structure would be ideal. I think he's a hybrid between those two. Keith money at the absolute max, but I think Keith is a step higher than Suter.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
dulzhok

Weber... we have to hope for some kind of hometown discount. He's legend is growing faster than his beard. He will be one of the most sought after d-men to ever hit the market if he gets there, and I'm sure his agent knows it.

I think he would consider a Keith-like discount (may a bit higher), but I think he'll want assurances that money saved will be used to address offense.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:40 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Congrats to Weber.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote