HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would a strong playoff run help sign UFAs?

Old
04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
It certainly can't hurt....unfortunately, other than Richards, the best UFAs are Markov and the Wiz. Not a big year...seems teams are becoming more pro-active signing players before they go to market. Thornton, Backes, Semin and others all got locked up before July 1st.
Exactly. I'm thinking if we can't get anyone locked up a trade is going to have to get us certain players, once they play here and realize there is no better place to play in the league, they sign an extension

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
orswich

vCash: 500
all I can respond with is this.

its a double edge sword

did it help Chicago keep thier team intact when they won the cup? no because those who were on the successful run (you dont have to win the cup to have a good run) wanted pay raises and financially forced out the depth players. would some habs UFA/RFA players also want raises if we did well also this year?, you bet your ass they will. this will reduce the amount of money we have to spend

on the other hand, consistant success can convince some free agents to sign for slightly less just for a chance at a cup run. but really is there any big free agents that arent past thier prime or overpaid this summer? anyone we really think would fit in well with our current roster, there isnt many IMO

orswich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:27 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The list isn't very great this summer, Richards is a UFA and there are a few D's but not more than that. I don't know why but most players don't wanna sign here but the moment they are traded here they realize there is no better place in the world to play hockey.
u sure? they say that for everyteam.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:33 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
He plays big, now I won't go ahead of myself and directly compare the two... But a certain Chris Nilan had a similar physique and was quite the enforcer.

I do believe that having another deep run will help land some UFAs. If we make it far again, it shows that last year wasn't a fluke, that the system works. If we win the cup, we might even a chance at guys like Richards.
I loved Nilan. He usually had help with guys like Kordic though.

I would love to see Ian Schultz or Andrew Conboy on this team next year along side of White and Moen.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Hopefully it helps keep the current team together, affordably. If Markov, Gill, Hammer, Wisniewski want back at below-market-value, then that is great.

I'm not really thinking too much about external additions via free agency yet. Hopefully we aren't going to need to look there.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think the cap needs to be adjusted so that what the players are paid in contract are after tax dollars. This would be a lot more fair for every team. LA and San Jose already have the added benefit of being nicer places to live in terms of weather, things to do, that type of thing. Why in the hell is it fair that they also get taxed less? What if a team like Montreal found a way to get a tax exemption for players playing for us, would the NHL not find that unfair? But it would be completely legal to do it, I guarantee if it were to happen then all of the sudden the NHL would make the rule I'm referring to, cause as soon as teams from Canada are all of the sudden getting the unfair advantage it isn't fair anymore. But currently while USA teams have an unfair tax advantage it's alright to just pretend the problem doesn't exist for the time being
And what if tax rates change?

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Get a great accountant and you won't pay as much taxes.
It's not just salary. It's also getting a house, a car, buying essentials, etc. We are financially drained from all angles by taxes here.

Good thing Montreal is a gorgeous city that has something for everyone. So who knows?!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
And what if tax rates change?
If you're being paid in after tax dollars and then the team pays the taxes at the end of each year, I don't see how this would effect anyone but the team paying the taxes.

Even if the tax goes up a fair margin, sure it sucks for the team having to pay more, but it works more fairly for the players and of course for the management, not having to worry about how 5 million here is really 2.5 million where as in other places it's 3.5-4 still. (Just random made up numbers to make a point, I know it's by no stretch an exact science)

To some players who may even want to sign here, the same deal but effectively making far less per season due to taxes can be a serious deal breaker, especially if another contender like SJ are the ones offering them the deal.

Plus it's just unfair, those teams get to offer players less money as a result of the fact that 1 dollar is worth more there than here ultimately. We play a sport that has teams across two nations, I just don't see why this practice is acceptable or considered to be fair. We'll never get the players that care about weather, that I'm willing to accept already, but I don't feel we should have to accept the fact that the players who care about money most aren't going to sign here either. That should not be a factor and should be eliminated as a factor asap.

Last edited by neofury*: 04-18-2011 at 01:16 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:31 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

I think another strong PO run by the Habs will definitely help attract UFAs to sign here, but as everyone knows, taxes will be a problem for MTL as compared to other teams with lower tax rates. In order to sign the player, the Habs would have to go about a 500k-1 million higher than what they are being offered on the open market. And I hope the Habs go after Parise and/or Setoughuci in the offseason.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Get a great accountant and you won't pay as much taxes.
I'm an accountant myself and the players are limited in terms of tax easing. Just like any employee.

The only way to avoid taxes on a large scale in Canada is to own a few companies or at least a large amount of shares.

The fiscal deductions most of us can enjoy are in terms of a few thousand dollars. What is 5000$ taxes deduction for a hockey player?

UNLESS I am mistaking in the way they get their money (Regular paychecks) there is nothing I can do for them that will make a difference. They will have to let go off grossly 50% of their incomes.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Bullsmith

We're always going to have to overpay compared to certain markets due to our tax rate. We're also going to be a very attractive destination to player who like the spotlight if we're competitive. If we pay them, they will come.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:04 PM
HCH

Before we get into any kind of discussion about whether or not UFA's would want to come to Montreal, you have to decide what we need to improve the team under the restrictions imposed by the salary cap. Other than our own UFA's who would we want and how much cap room would we have to attract these players?

A lot of it also depends no who we decide to keep, whether we can keep them and how much it will cost if we want them. Markov comes to mind and so do Gorges, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Pouliot and Weber.

Finally, are there players who we might be targetting in trade discussions with other teams. Who would we give up and how would we fill the holes left by the departing players.

It is all so hypothetical at this point that theorizing on whether a UFA might want to come here is far down the list of things that need to be done. Round out the team in May and June through internal signings and/or trades, then see what any potential free agents might want.

Old
04-18-2011, 05:07 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
It's not just salary. It's also getting a house, a car, buying essentials, etc. We are financially drained from all angles by taxes here.

Good thing Montreal is a gorgeous city that has something for everyone. So who knows?!
I am not sure of the entire tax situation but are the players not taxed in every jurisdiction in which they play. If that is the case, only one-half the salary earned by Montreal players would be taxed under the Quebec tax laws, the other half under the tax laws of whatever state or province the games were played in.

To be honest, I might be completely wrong here. If anyone could clarify the situation I would be more than happy have the record set straight.

Old
04-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
If you want to get the top notch UFAs to come to Montreal, then PG is going to have to sign a tough guy or two to come here.

I dont think that too many high level scorers want to play for a team that does not stand up and fight to protect them. And White is not a heavyweight. We need someone bigger than White to help with that job.
Cammy and Gionta came here, even if they aren't superstars, they surely could have signed somewhere else. We're talking about some of the smallest players in the NHL. So, I don't see why others wouldn't sign here.
And if a Star would only come here on the condition of us getting some tough guy, then I have no interest in management signing that Star. That's just a sign of mental weakness and that player would probably crawl under a rock when the going gets tough.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
streetster17

Maybe there's a tax break to professional hockey players under six feet tall

streetster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

You mean 7-8 million dollar quasi-disappointments like

Hossa?
Gaborik?
Gomez?

sure... why not?

Go Habs

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think itd help re-sign our own guys and to me, its more than enough...

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Subban76

Resign our D and if possible, add a big strong forward via UFA. I have my eyes set on Brooks Laich.

Put AK46 back with Eller on the 3rd line and put Laich with Pleck and Cammy.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
tinyzombies

I think we're a couple players away. Markov and ...

but you never know...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
You mean 7-8 million dollar quasi-disappointments like

Hossa?
Gaborik?
Gomez?

sure... why not?

Go Habs
I'd rather have another regular-disapointing playoff-beast like Gomez than the other way around.

Character, that's what make this team so well.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

simple solution:

Sign UFA for cheap

Sign his wife to be a secretary 5 hours a week for 900,000 a yr

pay the kids 100,000 everytime they mow the owners lawn.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
simple solution:

Sign UFA for cheap

ROFL best post in this thread.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by orswich View Post
all I can respond with is this.

its a double edge sword

did it help Chicago keep thier team intact when they won the cup? no because those who were on the successful run (you dont have to win the cup to have a good run) wanted pay raises and financially forced out the depth players. would some habs UFA/RFA players also want raises if we did well also this year?, you bet your ass they will. this will reduce the amount of money we have to spend

on the other hand, consistant success can convince some free agents to sign for slightly less just for a chance at a cup run. but really is there any big free agents that arent past thier prime or overpaid this summer? anyone we really think would fit in well with our current roster, there isnt many IMO
Chicago didn't gut their team because returning players wanted big raises, it was because Toews and Kane were entering their big contracts plus they spent big money on Hossa Campbell etc as UFA's. If not for Campbell, they probably sign Hjalmarsson before he is a RFA, and they could have kept Ladd and Byfuglien at least for another year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:57 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
simple solution:

Sign UFA for cheap

Otherwise referred to as 'money laundering'. Creative, though .

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote