HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Updates 2010-11 Part V

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
SurMartin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
No it's not that I don't believe you I was just wondering where there's a good place to get information.
In this thread or just generally on the boards. Quite a lot of Skellefteå-fans lurking around, myself included.

A couple of days before the deal was offical Forsberg said to the local media:
http://www.folkbladet.nu/250719/2011...uperintressant
Quote:
- It's a fast and technical player with a good shot. He is also very tough for his size. His problem has been that he is tougher than his physics allow. He's a player who tackles and fight.

- It's a super interesting player. I see Sorensen as one of the most interesting talents in Swedish hockey.

- When I drafted him to Ottawa, I went around and watched him a whole lot. He is a true scorer, a sniper, and he made 42 points in 15 games with the b-junior which says a lot, just like he did 36 points in 31 games in J20 this year.

- Sorensen did also did it well when he had to come up and play in the SEL with Djurgarden this season (seven games, 1 +1). It was because he injured himself as he did not continue in the SEL-team.
Can't remember exactly what he said to another local paper but it was something about sneaking around in corridors so no one else would draft him and that this is a long term project for ottawa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Skelleftea is basically a 2nd farm team..it'll be interesting if Forsberg remains in Skelleftea and more of this goes on.
Time to send someone "down" to us then!

Old
04-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Yeah Names, we'll see about that. In one year of Forsberg you've gained one player that maybe you otherwise wouldn't have had...that's the opposite of the usual NHL-SEL relation (haha). I kinda doubt this continues, this may have been a special scenario just because of the unique circumstance of Sorensen's pick, his potential, and obviously the coach in place at SAIK. There aren't anymore players that Forsberg has chosen for Ottawa left to make this kind of move.

The tenacity, physicality, small/skilled player is a trademark Detroit Red Wings pick...luckily we have someone in control of him that knows exactly what must be done. Even greater chances of him making a bit of a name for himself and making the WJC team next year. Perhaps faster development then otherwise.

Sweden starts with Russia today in Czech Hockey Games....stream...(don't know if it works, haven't tried it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Try CZE-FIN here.

And SWE-RUS here.
Says broadcast is available 30 minutes prior to game time..so should know in 15 minutes (at 12:30)

Old
04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Swe state tv stream: http://svtplay.se/v/2396480/ishockey...ive_21_4_19_30

Old
04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Blacked out outside of Sweden.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
He's going to be coached by the scout that convinced management to take him with a 4th round pick after the kid had not been ranked in Central Scouting and it may have been doubted he'd be drafted at all. Anders Forsberg is our ex scout, responsible for all the Swede picks since 08, came highly acclaimed by Detroit's top European scout. The fact that we took him with a 4th instead of a 5-7 means we really wanted to make sure to get him and Forsberg was very high. Forsberg also kept head scout Dorion from even seeing this guy because he wasn't playing on any national teams so any viewings they had of him made it pretty obvious who they were watching.
DUI (drafting under the influence)? Interesting strategy. I've made some pretty high risk, high reward decisions while high too.

Seriously though - its great news that he signed there, looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
Blacked out outside of Sweden.
The link in the quote I posted 2 posts up works..just click on the play icon on the link with more percentage....under the "Streams Directly viewable in browser"

Stream is good.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Minister of Offence

Silfverberg out there killing Rundblad's penalty.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Dionysus

Thanks! that stream works.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
alxmrtl

Numbers for Silfverberg and Rundblad?

Old
04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea View Post
33 JS (RW, right shot), 7 DR. (RD, right shot)

Old
04-21-2011, 02:20 PM
ElRossoMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea View Post
Rundblad - 7
Silfverberg - 33

I watched the first and i swear both of them played 2 minutes each. Ok, maybe Silfverberg played 3 cause he's in the 10th PK unit.
Don't know if it is worth watching, the coach doesn't look like he cares too much about our prospects.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Weird, I had heard going into this game that Silfverberg had been one of the better forwards for Sweden in the preliminary games.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence
Skelleftea is basically a 2nd farm team..it'll be interesting if Forsberg remains in Skelleftea and more of this goes on.

I was wondering that myself, I posted quite a while ago that why couldn't he be a coach & a scout for us & most here said that he was no longer a scout. It seems that he still is which is great for the organization & I hope that which ever Swedish players are drafted by Ottawa in future that they do eventually end up playing for Forsberg. It's great for their development & Ottawa knowing they're getting preferential treatment & important minutes to develop. They would also be able to go over whenever they want to get access to their players to assure they are developing properly, it's WIN/WIN IMO. Hopefully the SEL doesn't put an end to it.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence

I was wondering that myself, I posted quite a while ago that why couldn't he be a coach & a scout for us & most here said that he was no longer a scout. It seems that he still is which is great for the organization & I hope that which ever Swedish players are drafted by Ottawa in future that they do eventually end up playing for Forsberg. It's great for their development & Ottawa knowing they're getting preferential treatment & important minutes to develop. They would also be able to go over whenever they want to get access to their players to assure they are developing properly, it's WIN/WIN IMO. Hopefully the SEL doesn't put an end to it.
He's not a scout, but he's a connection. Scouting takes a lot of work, he isn't doing that work for us...he may at times say "go take a look at this guy" or "I've heard this guy has really been coming along"....maybe a small help, but we also may not be the only team that has stuff like this. Scouts/GM/Hockey Ops people have coaching contacts everywhere.

In this case though, we have had the opportunity to place a project in the hands of the guy that declared him a strong diamond in the rough project. The "farm team" thing was just a joke.

Old
04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
He's not a scout, but he's a connection. Scouting takes a lot of work, he isn't doing that work for us...he may at times say "go take a look at this guy" or "I've heard this guy has really been coming along"....maybe a small help, but we also may not be the only team that has stuff like this. Scouts/GM/Hockey Ops people have coaching contacts everywhere.

In this case though, we have had the opportunity to place a project in the hands of the guy that declared him a strong diamond in the rough project. The "farm team" thing was just a joke.
He's still listed as an amatuer scout under hockey operations & has been there all yr. They've already removed Clouston from the coaching staff page, if he wasn't a scout why wouldn't they have updated that page too? But maybe that is all that he does indicate to Burda, Dorion or Tim Murray to take a look at a certain player but I wouldn't be surprised either if he was doing both or a lot more than that like trying to get guys who are drafted by Ottawa to come & play for his team.

I really liked what I saw of Sorenson at the development camp this past summer. He really seemed like he was having fun, bugging the other players & they seemed to enjoy having him around as they were doing stuff to him back. Although he was having fun when it was his turn to run a drill or play a scrimage he was all buisness & very skilled with the puck. He is a small guy but has excellent speed to go with his skill & vision on the ice, he stood up for me. IMO though Silfverberg was the best forward in camp, he has everything, good size, good speed, good shot & skill, not great but good at everything & very good defensively.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Yeah the thing about him still being on the website is kinda weird, is it legal to be paying someone to scout, that is also a coach in another league? I guess it would be? Maybe he is being given an incentive to keep tabs where he can and lend a word to scouts. Perhaps the website thing means nothing though.

Aragorn what are the hours the development camp runs during the day? Just wondering if I'll be able to get out to that at all, I'll be working 7am-3 during the week...probably not eh?

Old
04-21-2011, 04:29 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Yeah the thing about him still being on the website is kinda weird, is it legal to be paying someone to scout, that is also a coach in another league? I guess it would be? Maybe he is being given an incentive to keep tabs where he can and lend a word to scouts. Perhaps the website thing means nothing though.

Aragorn what are the hours the development camp runs during the day? Just wondering if I'll be able to get out to that at all, I'll be working 7am-3 during the week...probably not eh?
It's usually around July 1, so watch for it either the first week of July or the last week of June or somewhere in between. It's usually a week or so after the draft & it's always in the morning starting around 9:00 am at the Sensplex in Kanata. It's free & surprisingly is getting more & more people out to it every yr. I met Derek Chang there one yr, I think that was his name, the guy who used to write here for the Sens. I've also met Muckler, Murray, Domi & numerous players, coaches etc, it's a fun event to attend.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It's usually around July 1, so watch for it either the first week of July or the last week of June or somewhere in between. It's usually a week or so after the draft & it's always in the morning starting around 9:00 am at the Sensplex in Kanata. It's free & surprisingly is getting more & more people out to it every yr. I met Derek Chang there one yr, I think that was his name, the guy who used to write here for the Sens. I've also met Muckler, Murray, Domi & numerous players, coaches etc, it's a fun event to attend.
How late into the day does it go?

Old
04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to write that & was coming back to say it never goes past noon, at least not in my experience & I've been going since we drafted Yashin & Daigle. Usually between 9:00 am to 11:30 am, the Sens will have something on their website usually a week before or so that gives us all the information including a list of all the attendees.

Sidebar - The prospects used to get invited up to Roy Mlacker's place in Dunrobin on July 1 for swimming & boating on the Ottawa river. I know Mlacker's place because I used to know the people who used to live there & sold him their home. They had a beautiful walkout bungalow on the Ottawa river with an inground pool on the side. In the backyard below is a garage with an intelock stone driveway leading right into the river for the boats they had & a beautiful round gazebo with electricity, phone & TV. Across the river is the Gatineau hills, it's just a beautiful setting, I'm not sure if MLacker still lives there or sold it & moved.

Last edited by aragorn: 04-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old
04-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Minister of Offence

K cool thanks.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:45 PM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Theres also a scrimmage one night open for everyone,

After that if you are a STH you can sit in on a management hotstove, i went to it least year and Time Murray, Pierre Dorion, and I think Randy Lee were there and you ask Qs about prospects and what not, some very good questions last year, I remember it was the day before FA last year, so the 30th, oh and after all the prospects file in and you can get their autographs if you wish, but you have to be a STH for the last part or know someone

Old
04-21-2011, 04:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc View Post
Theres also a scrimmage one night open for everyone,

After that if you are a STH you can sit in on a management hotstove, i went to it least year and Time Murray, Pierre Dorion, and I think Randy Lee were there and you ask Qs about prospects and what not, some very good questions last year, I remember it was the day before FA last year, so the 30th, oh and after all the prospects file in and you can get their autographs if you wish, but you have to be a STH for the last part or know someone
That's true I forgot about that, they only started that a yr or so ago I think?

Old
04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
A couple more words on Sörensen. Anders Östberg, blogger and respected swedish junior watcher had this to say on the recent deal.

Quote:
Skellefteå fans have been mailing me and asking about Skellefteå's acquisition of Fredrik Styrman and Markus Sörensen. Sörensen is a fantastic acquisition who I feel can become a SEL star, maybe even next season. I'm very, very high about him (me: about him, on him?) and expect him to be one of the best players on the World Junior squad.

Last edited by svartgul: 04-21-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Minister of Offence

Anders...

COME BACK!!!!!

Old
04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

When we talk about an Alfredson's replacement, Sorenson reminds me of Alfredson. Different personality a little bit, Sorenson seems to like to have more fun & Alfie is kinda serious at practises but they are about the same size, Alfredson may be a tad taller. They are both RWers, both skilled with the puck, both have good speed & both seem to play a complete game, good offensively & defensively. Anyway, Alfredson was the first guy I thought of when I first saw Sorenson, let's hope we get lucky with him too.

Closed Thread