HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Playoff Run

View Poll Results: How far do the Flyers go?
1st round 27 23.48%
2nd round 26 22.61%
Conference Finals 15 13.04%
Stanley Cup Finals 47 40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-02-2011, 05:48 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
Flyers Playoff Run

How far are they going to go, in your opinion?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 05:55 AM
mirimon

I always think we'll win. This year I'm more confident though, despite our somewhat poor results over the last 20 games or so.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 06:07 AM
CptCannon

IMO it's either 1st round exit or SCFs. Chose SC finals because my glass is half full.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 08:56 AM
rban*

Hmm, I dont like their swoon since Jan 1st. I am not optimistic, they played very well in first half of season and have coasted since then.

Better if they cr)pped the bed in first half then caught fire later. Momentum and all. Which team will show up in POs, first half team or second half? They are diametrically opposite.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
StandingCow

Anything but a cup will be disappointing this season. I know they are capable... it just depends on them coming out to play or not.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I think they'll lose to Tampa in the first round.

The question is, supposing they do in fact lose in the first round, how much of a disappointment will this team be in Flyers' history? I think the '96 team was a bigger disappointment.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:09 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Unwavering Confidence.
Blind Faith?

Cup or Bust.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:25 AM
sycamore

If they get the #1 seed, I think they will make it to the SCF, where they will lose to Vancouver.

If they fall to #2 or lower, I think they make it to the ECF, but get beat up badly on the way, and therefore lose to fresher Washington Capitals team in the ECF.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
IMO it's either 1st round exit or SCFs. Chose SC finals because my glass is half full.
That's how I'm seeing it. I've been pretty patient with this as well. It's aggravating and frustrating, but history shows that we should be expecting this.

Something that seemingly no one wants to talk about is how much of an effect that the the toll of the previous season's playoff run has on the next season.

Over the last 30 years, the previous Cup Finalists (who lost) only made it back to the Conference Finals 5 times (2 won the Cup). In there is a lot of 1st round exits (including the last 3 Flyers defending Conference Champs, and in 1981 they went down 3-1 to Calgary in the 2nd round) and missed playoffs (a lot of those after the '90s expansion, being more teams). Some of those teams were flukes, but some of those teams needed another summer to recharge. For some of your rivals to have 6-8 extra weeks of rest during the summer...that's a lot. I don't want to say that people shouldn't have expected this team to get back and win the Finals, but that's the biggest reason I thought the Flyers might bounce this season anyways. Just the mental exhaustion, physical toll, and the fact everyone's gunning for you...they might have to overcome more this year than last year.

We at least need a good match-up in the 1st round, and I don't care if we're not #1 to get it. We have more road wins anyways, so I don't think having to play a Game 7 on the road should be uber-scary.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That's how I'm seeing it. I've been pretty patient with this as well. It's aggravating and frustrating, but history shows that we should be expecting this.

Something that seemingly no one wants to talk about is how much of an effect that the the toll of the previous season's playoff run has on the next season.

Over the last 30 years, the previous Cup Finalists (who lost) only made it back to the Conference Finals 5 times (2 won the Cup). In there is a lot of 1st round exits (including the last 3 Flyers defending Conference Champs, and in 1981 they went down 3-1 to Calgary in the 2nd round) and missed playoffs (a lot of those after the '90s expansion, being more teams). Some of those teams were flukes, but some of those teams needed another summer to recharge. For some of your rivals to have 6-8 extra weeks of rest during the summer...that's a lot. I don't want to say that people shouldn't have expected this team to get back and win the Finals, but that's the biggest reason I thought the Flyers might bounce this season anyways. Just the mental exhaustion, physical toll, and the fact everyone's gunning for you...they might have to overcome more this year than last year.

We at least need a good match-up in the 1st round, and I don't care if we're not #1 to get it. We have more road wins anyways, so I don't think having to play a Game 7 on the road should be uber-scary.

Let's say the Flyers lose in the first or second round, do you think that Holmgren will try to do some drastic moves? I think the team ought to stay together and learn from it, but in the past, Flyer GMs seem to overreact and make drastic changes after failures. I hope Holmgren leaves the team alone.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:03 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

If they don't fix something soon they won't be going deep.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Let's say the Flyers lose in the first or second round, do you think that Holmgren will try to do some drastic moves? I think the team ought to stay together and learn from it, but in the past, Flyer GMs seem to overreact and make drastic changes after failures. I hope Holmgren leaves the team alone.
If consensus is put on a goalies shoulders after a first round exit, I hope Holmgren takes initiative to change it just enough to fix that "unknown". I'm not bashing our goalies, nor predicting failure, but its certainly a possibility in Philadelphia.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 10:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
It's hard to say because the Flyers spent all their resources on making big moves already. Keeping too many players together can get stale as well. The trade deadline was actually a good time to make a trade for the hell of it. If the players are too comfortable in their situation, they won't feel like they have anything to lose.

This year, the goaltending has been better than last year, but the issue down the stretch has been creating consistent offense. That might be harder to fix.

I'll put it this way, all of that, plus Laviolette's up-tempo style (if you're trying to exhaust the other team, you're probably going to get exhausted too)...for so long...if they go deep this year it's pretty much guaranteed they'll bounce next year. Biggest reason why last year was such a missed opportunity.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Can't vote against them. They definitely have what it takes to make it, they just have to put it to use.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The sense certainly seems to be that they can just flip the switch, which is the absolute wrong way to go about it. Like a "stop asking us questions" attitude.

Last year (not that this is last year), but the Flyers lost to the Islanders in a complete **** show (6-4), and then the 1-0 loss to the Canadiens on April 2 and they looked like toast before they came out on a NBC Sunday Game against Detroit and gutted out a big win, and going into the playoffs winning 3 out of 4 was enough (barely).

Old
04-02-2011, 11:10 AM
jethro flyer

I think they get to finals again, They play great when despirate you don't need to look to far back to see evidence of that. There will be lots of dispiration come playoff time (espicially the way they are playing) so i think they will respond. just have to hope the goalie(s) hold up (like every year).

jethro flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I chose 1st rd....

I'm a bit pissed at the way they have skated... prove me wrong..

As for the exit (whenever and if that happens) they better get a proven STARTER.... to HELP Bob... not saying he can't handle it....but someone BETTER than Boosh who can COMPLIMENT the current team...

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Haute Couturier

I think they will get bounced in either the 2nd round or ECF. If they get the #1 seed I think they will make it to the Conference Finals.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:03 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Of the potential first round opponents, only Tampa worries me.

It will take a pretty awful final four games for that match-up to happen, though, so I expect the Flyers to crack the second round... at minimum.

From the second round on, it will all come down to who they match up with. Boston and Pittsburgh (with Crosby) will be tough. Washington may have finally figured out how to prepare for playoff hockey. And any team that comes out of the West will be tough to beat.

Anything less than a Cup will be considered a failure of a season. I hope the boys have the extra gear to make the season a success.

04-02-2011, 12:17 PM
txpd

as an outsider ive enjoyed reading this thread. i think right now there is no good way to get an edge on a prediction with any hopes of being right. playoffs often have lives of their own and the regular season doesn't always give you a good indication of that coming life.

the flyers look more tired than disinterested to me. if they get matched up with a team that is equally gased from just getting in, their own weariness won't be such an issue. the rangers and the habs look like they have given all they have to give. while the lightning are showing some signs of life. of the three teams for the flyers tampa is probably the one to do all you can to stay away from.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:51 PM
ChampK

One and done. They're too mentally soft to get any further.

ChampK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 01:32 PM
nuclear reactor

They will still be hard to beat 4 times in seven games. This unfortunate stretch is perfect for them.

nuclear reactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampK View Post
One and done. They're too mentally soft to get any further.
I think they did enough last year to not have their mental fortitude question for at least a little while.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 02:16 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Conference Finals exit. I don't trust this team enough to get it done like they did last year. I don't know what it is, maybe its their lackluster play in the past two weeks, but right now the best we can get to the way we have been playing is the Conference Finals, maybe even just 2nd round.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I'm not optimistic. With the way they're playing, making it to the conference finals at this point can probably be considered a success.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote