HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back to the Future - Leighton to dress for game 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2011, 11:39 AM
  #276
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS
 
PhillyFlying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Oh, come on. You know the team could've played better. It's not all his fault.
??????

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
  #277
nevermore
Cap space since 2005
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
??????
Sarcasm.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:43 AM
  #278
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,682
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bob is done for the playoffs... they've made it clear. Bob will not be dressed by all accounts for Game 7... so if Boucher goes down, you're looking at Leighton.

Is that how I would have handled this? No. I think Lavy has egregiously *ed up handling his goalies in this series. If he had that little confidence in Bob, he shouldn't have started him in Game 1... and if he really had a meltdown after Game 1, then he shouldn't have started Game 2. Putting Leighton out there for Game 6 was *ing idiotic, and after the season I would love to hear some honest inside take on that decision. Now, however, is not the time.



Still think he's the man?
Haha. I never thought he was the man. I only said he played well for the Flyers last year and signing him wasn't as bad a move as every one was saying.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
  #279
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. I never thought he was the man. I only said he played well for the Flyers last year and signing him wasn't as bad a move as every one was saying.
...He's played what, 6 periods for the Flyers this year... and looked like garbage doing it?

I'd say it's a pretty *ing terrible signing.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:48 AM
  #280
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub
 
Razor the Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waiting in Shadows
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Honestly that was the worst goal tending I have ever seen.

I would rather have Bob, at least he can go post to post and be weak high

or....

Leights, weak post to post and weak high

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
  #281
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bob is done for the playoffs... they've made it clear. Bob will not be dressed by all accounts for Game 7... so if Boucher goes down, you're looking at Leighton.

Is that how I would have handled this? No. I think Lavy has egregiously *ed up handling his goalies in this series. If he had that little confidence in Bob, he shouldn't have started him in Game 1... and if he really had a meltdown after Game 1, then he shouldn't have started Game 2. Putting Leighton out there for Game 6 was *ing idiotic, and after the season I would love to hear some honest inside take on that decision. Now, however, is not the time.



Still think he's the man?
I'd have to say that Lavy has gaffed with the goalie decisions big time but Holmgren is definitely the root of the problem. Putting Leighton for game 6 though had to be one of his dumbest moves thus far but that's what happens when you make a "gut" decision like George Bush...last I check the gut doesn't have neurotransmitters...


Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-25-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: sp
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
  #282
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,654
vCash: 50
I almost cant wait for Holmgren's comments on our goaltending this offseason. he could say We will adress the goaltending situation again and in July he will pull the rug from underneath us again.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:53 AM
  #283
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 50,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...He's played what, 6 periods for the Flyers this year... and looked like garbage doing it?

I'd say it's a pretty *ing terrible signing.
...for the low, low price of 1.55 million dollars per year!


Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
  #284
CharlieGirl
Summer
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Leights, weak post to post and weak high
Also weak low. And I'm not certain he even opens and closes the bench door well.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
  #285
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,682
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...He's played what, 6 periods for the Flyers this year... and looked like garbage doing it?

I'd say it's a pretty *ing terrible signing.
That's hindsight though, it's easy to call things great moves and bad moves by waiting until they play out, but I'm not talking about how it turned out. Obviously that's bad. But at the time, it wasn't a bad signing. I have said that all along.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
  #286
CharlieGirl
Summer
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Twice a month Holmer writes a check for $62,500 gross into his bank account, don't feel any pity for this waste of oxygen
No ****. I'd love to **** up as well and as often as Leighton and get paid half his salary.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
  #287
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's hindsight though, it's easy to call things great moves and bad moves by waiting until they play out, but I'm not talking about how it turned out. Obviously that's bad. But at the time, it wasn't a bad signing. I have said that all along.
Dude, it ain't *ing hindsight if you've been making that argument from the minute it has been announced. I'm so *ing tired of the "oh, that's hindsight" crap... just stop.

It isn't hindsight. He's not a good goalie, and shouldn't be starting for a NHL team.

What has changed is that he's gone out and proven how terrible the signing is, and yet you're still defending it. I guess going down with the ship is the honorable choice.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
  #288
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,034
vCash: 500
So how did the finals turn out then?

Seriously, a lot people were devastated and warned about the shortsightedness of signing Leighton especially as a starter which is why they gave him 1.5M. If we didn't have Bob it would have been a debacle in net given Leighton's injury. Backlund was a complete joke and with Boosh doing his whack a mole impression in net (in and out) it would have been painful. Now of course everything is coming to a head at the worst possible time....it's like lies..they have short legs.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
  #289
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,682
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Dude, it ain't *ing hindsight if you've been making that argument from the minute it has been announced. I'm so *ing tired of the "oh, that's hindsight" crap... just stop.

It isn't hindsight. He's not a good goalie, and shouldn't be starting for a NHL team.

What has changed is that he's gone out and proven how terrible the signing is, and yet you're still defending it. I guess going down with the ship is the honorable choice.
Haha. Dude, what are you talking about? That is the definition of hindsight. I am saying that at the time, it was a good signing. He played well the year before, he was affordable, the Flyers were turned down by two other goalies already. That is what makes it a good signing at the time, and regardless of how he played this year I'm not going to change my mind. Obviously I am not saying that based on his performance he was a good signing, that would be ludicrous. It didn't turn out to be a good signing, but at the time it was. That is where hindsight comes in. Just like drafting certain players at the time is a good pick, but they don't turn out that way. Or going to a restaurant you might like is a good decision at the time, but then they ruin your food. Or buying a car that breaks. And so forth and so on.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
  #290
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Dude, it ain't *ing hindsight if you've been making that argument from the minute it has been announced. I'm so *ing tired of the "oh, that's hindsight" crap... just stop.

It isn't hindsight. He's not a good goalie, and shouldn't be starting for a NHL team.

What has changed is that he's gone out and proven how terrible the signing is, and yet you're still defending it. I guess going down with the ship is the honorable choice.
Spot on. The G negotiations and sudden Leighton signing to too much money for multiple years before the start of FA were just too puzzling. I would have been okay with a 1-year $1 mil contract to see if Leighton had magically put it all together, but the whole idea of handing the starter's reins to him was ridiculous with Boucher and this Boborovovoroski kid whom few could pick out of a police line-up as the only other options. I don't blame Holmgren for Nabokov, who priced himself out of the NHL, but leaving this team with Cup aspirations up to a complete crapshoot in G was asinine.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:13 PM
  #291
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 50,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. Dude, what are you talking about? That is the definition of hindsight. I am saying that at the time, it was a good signing. He played well the year before, he was affordable, the Flyers were turned down by two other goalies already. That is what makes it a good signing at the time, and regardless of how he played this year I'm not going to change my mind. Obviously I am not saying that based on his performance he was a good signing, that would be ludicrous. It didn't turn out to be a good signing, but at the time it was. That is where hindsight comes in. Just like drafting certain players at the time is a good pick, but they don't turn out that way. Or going to a restaurant you might like is a good decision at the time, but then they ruin your food. Or buying a car that breaks. And so forth and so on.
It might be hindsight for you. For almost everyone else here, it was immediately and abundantly clear that it was a bad signing. The timing was awful, the price was awful.

edit: the length wasn't too good either.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:16 PM
  #292
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 50,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
No ****. I'd love to **** up as well and as often as Leighton and get paid half his salary.
Half? Hell. 1/10th would be glorious.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
  #293
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. Dude, what are you talking about? That is the definition of hindsight. I am saying that at the time, it was a good signing. He played well the year before, he was affordable, the Flyers were turned down by two other goalies already. That is what makes it a good signing at the time, and regardless of how he played this year I'm not going to change my mind. Obviously I am not saying that based on his performance he was a good signing, that would be ludicrous. It didn't turn out to be a good signing, but at the time it was. That is where hindsight comes in. Just like drafting certain players at the time is a good pick, but they don't turn out that way. Or going to a restaurant you might like is a good decision at the time, but then they ruin your food. Or buying a car that breaks. And so forth and so on.
No, this may be hindsight for those who thought it was a good signing, but many didn't agree and were proven right. Not the same thing. Paul Holmgren has all the sang-froid of an ADHD 6-year-old hopped up on Pixie Sticks, and jumped the gun.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:19 PM
  #294
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's hindsight though, it's easy to call things great moves and bad moves by waiting until they play out, but I'm not talking about how it turned out. Obviously that's bad. But at the time, it wasn't a bad signing. I have said that all along.
Wow, dude... did you not see the Finals last season?

Did you not know how Leighton was absolutely nothing until he played on the Flyers team?

I'm actually surprised we took the series to 6 games against the Blackhawks.

Leighton was in a "right place at the right time" situation last season. We had just gotten a real coach, whose system just started to click, and our #1 goalie had injury issues. Our defense is the reason Leighton had a good season last year. Even in Game 5 on Friday, almost every shot on him rebounded and our defense bailed him out on almost every one until the epic rebound in OT.

I just don't understand why there was any need to make him the Game 6 starter.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:19 PM
  #295
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,682
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It might be hindsight for you. For almost everyone else here, it was immediately and abundantly clear that it was a bad signing. The timing was awful, the price was awful.

edit: the length wasn't too good either.
OMG everyone on a message board was in disagreement with me? I must have been wrong. Just like everyone who was certain we would lose last night, especially after Leighton let in those two goals. I should have quickly changed my mind because everyone else thought that we were dommed! Same thing with the Bruins series last year. What am I thinking here? I better just agree with everyone.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:21 PM
  #296
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. Dude, what are you talking about? That is the definition of hindsight. I am saying that at the time, it was a good signing. He played well the year before, he was affordable, the Flyers were turned down by two other goalies already. That is what makes it a good signing at the time, and regardless of how he played this year I'm not going to change my mind. Obviously I am not saying that based on his performance he was a good signing, that would be ludicrous. It didn't turn out to be a good signing, but at the time it was. That is where hindsight comes in. Just like drafting certain players at the time is a good pick, but they don't turn out that way. Or going to a restaurant you might like is a good decision at the time, but then they ruin your food. Or buying a car that breaks. And so forth and so on.
Dude... you gotta stop drinking before noon.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:21 PM
  #297
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
While they never should have dressed Leighton, I think it's a clear indication of how little confidence they have in Bob coming in cold.
He did relieve Boosh a couple times this year, didn't he? Honestly, Leighton did what was expected in relief in Game 5, and frankly gave the team a chance to win. But he's still Michael Leighton and showed it on the OT goal and in the 1st period yesterday. I'd rather have a cold Bob. I hope they haven't screwed up the latest goalie again with these head games.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:26 PM
  #298
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
OMG everyone on a message board was in disagreement with me? I must have been wrong. Just like everyone who was certain we would lose last night, especially after Leighton let in those two goals. I should have quickly changed my mind because everyone else thought that we were dommed! Same thing with the Bruins series last year. What am I thinking here? I better just agree with everyone.
This right here is a prime example of rhetorical flailing and misdirection.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
  #299
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
OMG everyone on a message board was in disagreement with me? I must have been wrong. Just like everyone who was certain we would lose last night, especially after Leighton let in those two goals. I should have quickly changed my mind because everyone else thought that we were dommed! Same thing with the Bruins series last year. What am I thinking here? I better just agree with everyone.
I'm really sick of everyone bringing up the Bruins from 2010... IT'S 2011 PEOPLE!

I love that series as much as the next person, but RIGHT NOW Leighton just gave up 3 super soft goals in 20 mins of hockey. If it wasn't for our defense, he would have lost us Game 5 in regulation.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
  #300
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Sarcasm.
Don't be so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. I never thought he was the man. I only said he played well for the Flyers last year and signing him wasn't as bad a move as every one was saying.
It's really hard to take you seriously with stuff like this when your current avatar is "Better Leight than Never."

Which, ironically, didn't hold up yesterday. Would been better never than Leight, winning at least 4-1. Weird.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.