HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back to the Future - Leighton to dress for game 3

Old
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Haha Jester (and others) are making up the goalie market?

How many goalies were available? 6 (Ellis, Mason, Turco, Nabokov, Nitty, Leighton)
How many teams needed goalies? 4 (Us, Tampa, San Jose, Atlanta) I even think Atlanta is generous because I don't believe they "needed" a goalie. They had Pavelec, but jumped on an opportunity because of the market imo.

Supply and Demand.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ok, when you just say "a simple economic theory" that doesn't tell me which one it is. But in reality, you couldn't possibly have used that theory to make your argument back in July unless you knew what teams were interested in goalies, backups or starters. For all you know there were 10 teams waiting to sign Leighton as a starter or even a backup.
I'm going to ignore the rest of your post, because this paragraph pretty much means you should stop commenting on this. If you think we didn't know who needed goalies and how many then just stop opining on free agency... it was abundantly clear who was going to be in the running for a starting goalie on July 1st. We knew who those teams were, how much money they did or did not have to spend, and how many goalies were floating around out there as options.

It was EASY to assess the supply and demand problem if you were a goalie... and most teams did. Holmgren did not.

There are 60 slots in the NHL for goalies, knowledge of roster depth and cap space goes a long *ing way. Additionally, you don't even need to worry that much about backup spots as far as free agency... cuz free agents aren't jumping to go and be backups if they have the option to start somewhere else.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Leighton was injured half the year. You can't really blame that on Leighton.

Yes we can ..apparently he did it at home possibly unpacking his suitcase he usually has to pack due to being a travelling gypsy goalie his entire career. He also banked on Holmgren being stupid enough to sign him prior to the market deciding his true worth and lied about his back issues.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Ok, when you just say "a simple economic theory" that doesn't tell me which one it is. But in reality, you couldn't possibly have used that theory to make your argument back in July unless you knew what teams were interested in goalies, backups or starters. For all you know there were 10 teams waiting to sign Leighton as a starter or even a backup.
There were only a handful of teams that had openings. If anyone HAD signed him that would have made their incumbent available (like Niemi).

Are you REALLY trying to suggest it is impossible to have any sort of inclincation as to who needed goalies? Nobody is saying people knew EXACTLY how many teams wanted a goalie. However it isn't hard to say "hmmmm there really aren't too many teams that have goalie openings" and "hmmmm there really are quite a few goaltenders on the market. More goalies than openings in fact!"

Old
04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm going to ignore the rest of your post, because this paragraph pretty much means you should stop commenting on this. If you think we didn't know who needed goalies and how many then just stop opining on free agency... it was abundantly clear who was going to be in the running for a starting goalie on July 1st. We knew who those teams were, how much money they did or did not have to spend, and how many goalies were floating around out there as options.

It was EASY to assess the supply and demand problem if you were a goalie... and most teams did. Holmgren did not.

There are 60 slots in the NHL for goalies, knowledge of roster depth and cap space goes a long *ing way. Additionally, you don't even need to worry that much about backup spots as far as free agency... cuz free agents aren't jumping to go and be backups if they have the option to start somewhere else.
Yes, teams had players on rosters. But that doesn't mean that teams were going to sign a player to compete or to play backup. I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because it means you should stop commenting.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Yes, teams had players on rosters. But that doesn't mean that teams were going to sign a player to compete or to play backup. I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because it means you should stop commenting.
And if teams that did have goalies on rosters signed another goalie, that would mean one of the goalies on their roster is on their way out.

It's also not a stretch to jump to conclusions for some teams. For example, are Vancouver or LA going to sign a goalie with Luongo/Schneider and Quick/Bernier? No. Are the Islanders with Roloson/Dipietro? That IS a possibility. But then you have to consider, what's more attractive as a FA goaltender? Signing with the Flyers who need a starter, or signing with the Islanders so I can compete with 2 guys?

These aren't ridiculous conclusions to come to.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yes, teams had players on rosters. But that doesn't mean that teams were going to sign a player to compete or to play backup.
So basically you're relying on the assumption that teams are going to wastefully spend money under a salary cap just for ****s and giggles? Well, sure, if other teams are going to **** there cap space to sign goalies for the sake of it, then all sorts of *** can happen.

Quote:
I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because it means you should stop commenting.
It only works if you actually ignore what the person wrote... you addressed (not well) the point I made.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Why would any goalie do this? Also, name one team anywhere that actually does this?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

wow. how long ago was it when every philly fan loved him????

uncleben85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:19 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Can we take him behind the shed? Or just tell him to go to the KHL?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:20 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Never? haha

There were those that loved him and those who thought it was lightning in a bottle and were enjoying the ride.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Like never...since not EVERY philly fan loved him.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Around here? Never. There was a vocal minority that adored him, but most people realized he was a ticking time bomb and didn't trust him in the slightest.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:23 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Every Philly fan? No, no, no, I never liked the guy. I gave him credit when credit was due. However, I knew he was going to crash eventually. We saw that during the finals.

Not everyone loved him.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Not every. Even during his run last year, I didn't trust that he all of the sudden developed into a good goalie. He's always been crap.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:33 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
I can't name anyone in my life that watches the Flyers and knows more than the average puckbunny who ever liked Leighton. He was lucky.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
So basically you're relying on the assumption that teams are going to wastefully spend money under a salary cap just for ****s and giggles? Well, sure, if other teams are going to **** there cap space to sign goalies for the sake of it, then all sorts of *** can happen.
I'm not relying on that assumption, but it is part of the reason why I would have done the same. It isn't likely that there will be ten teams after Leighton, or any player. But if there is one team, and they offer more, then that's it. Now you have no one. Or you have Mason or Ellis, who is the same thing.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
I'm not relying on that assumption, but it is part of the reason why I would have done the same. It isn't likely that there will be ten teams after Leighton, or any player. But if there is one team, and they offer more, then that's it. Now you have no one. Or you have Mason or Ellis, who is the same thing.
As much as you want to think they are, that statement is pure BS based on a small sample of games.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-25-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Don't mind me, just cleaning up
Old
04-25-2011, 04:46 PM
obxcaneadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
The experiment was over when the Canes waived him !
Exactly Ward was hurt, and instead of relying on Leighton they brought in Legacy off waivers. As soon as Ward was better they waived Leighton. HE IS A 3RD String goalie, or an AHL Stand out, he does not belong in the NHL

Lavi has some sort of love affair with him, as they did win an AHL Championship together, but I told every fFyer fan I knew last year he was not someone they should sign. And when they signed him I said you will see, and now they do.

I am suprised that no one did take him off waivers before the playoffs, but every other team knows something the Flyers didn't

Good luck getting rid of him next year, can you say buy out

obxcaneadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Let's try to keep from outright flaming each other, please and thank you

Old
04-25-2011, 04:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxcaneadian View Post
Exactly Ward was hurt, and instead of relying on Leighton they brought in Legacy off waivers. As soon as Ward was better they waived Leighton. HE IS A 3RD String goalie, or an AHL Stand out, he does not belong in the NHL

Lavi has some sort of love affair with him, as they did win an AHL Championship together, but I told every fFyer fan I knew last year he was not someone they should sign. And when they signed him I said you will see, and now they do.
Ahh good points particularly Lavy's possible blind faith in him....not cool. Now I'm not as baffled by the post-game presser. Sadly Lavy needs to take on the "what have you done for me lately" attitude....obviously we know he's capable of that...

Old
04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
As much as you want to think they are, that statement is pure BS based on a small sample of games.
Well that's it. You win.

Old
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

It's not just over, it shouldn't of happened, ever.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Poor Bob, sitting out might not of destroyed his confidence but watching who replaced him had too.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Poor Bob, sitting out might not of destroyed his confidence but watching who replaced him had too.
The only thing worse than getting benched in the playoffs, is getting benched for Michael Leighton.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote