HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Talk: Who Comes And Who Goes

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2011, 03:13 PM
  #401
bladoww
Team of the Future
 
bladoww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Doesn't sound like The Surge will return.
I've never even met Surge but TBH he seems like the kind of guy that lets his agent completely run the show. This whole situation (minus a championship of course) reminds me of Khabi years ago. Have a great playoff run and all of a sudden you've got dollar signs in your eyes in the summer.

bladoww is offline  
Old
06-18-2011, 03:23 PM
  #402
LightningStrikes
Moderator
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,611
vCash: 500
By the way, what about Ville Leino? Of course Philly has other options to free up cap space for Bryzgalov (let Zherdev walk, trade Versteeg, etc) but that aside, Leino is a UFA and would be a great match on our team, IMO. Thoughts? Too expensive (probably more than $2.5m)?

LightningStrikes is online now  
Old
06-18-2011, 04:25 PM
  #403
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
By the way, what about Ville Leino? Of course Philly has other options to free up cap space for Bryzgalov (let Zherdev walk, trade Versteeg, etc) but that aside, Leino is a UFA and would be a great match on our team, IMO. Thoughts? Too expensive (probably more than $2.5m)?
No way Leino gets that much.

Where is everybody getting the idea that one season of 50-ish points = 2m+?

If Surge can't be signed, Leino might be a replacement.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
06-18-2011, 07:18 PM
  #404
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
By the way, what about Ville Leino? Of course Philly has other options to free up cap space for Bryzgalov (let Zherdev walk, trade Versteeg, etc) but that aside, Leino is a UFA and would be a great match on our team, IMO. Thoughts? Too expensive (probably more than $2.5m)?
Leino would be great, would sign him for 2-2.5 per year

Vasilevskiy is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 06:16 AM
  #405
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Leino won't come any cheaper than Bergenheim, and I really don't think we need either of them anyways. The latter seems like he'll go where there's the most money, and I've got no problem with that.

Downie-Stamkos-St. Louis
Lecavalier-Richards-Malone
Tyrell-Moore-Purcell
Prospect/Asham/Hall-Thompson-Jones

Lundin-Brewer
Hedman-Clark/FA
Ohlund-Kubina
MAB/Jones/FA

Roloson
Smith/Prospect/FA

I think the above roster is similar to what we'll see next season. Asham is a preference of mine obviously, but we definitely have the ability to pull something like this off. I could see Clark being dealt as soon as the draft, and then we'd fill that spot with a slightly better FA. On the other hand, he was worth every penny last season and I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around.

Next season should be very exciting.

I Am Beat You is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:03 AM
  #406
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,465
vCash: 500
How much money will Stamkos get guys? Is it even possible to land Richards, when you have Stamkos, Vinny, and Marty?

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:51 AM
  #407
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
How much money will Stamkos get guys? Is it even possible to land Richards, when you have Stamkos, Vinny, and Marty?
Very much so. I'd expect Stamkos to be looking at a cap hit between 6 and 7 million.

I Am Beat You is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 10:05 AM
  #408
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
How much money will Stamkos get guys? Is it even possible to land Richards, when you have Stamkos, Vinny, and Marty?
Why wouldn't it be?

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 10:41 AM
  #409
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
Wish some pieces would start falling into place now. I want a stamkos and brewer deal done before the draft.

Rschmitz is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 10:48 AM
  #410
DPyro
Registered User
 
DPyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
How much money will Stamkos get guys? Is it even possible to land Richards, when you have Stamkos, Vinny, and Marty?
All signs point to $8-9 Million. Crosby after his first 3 years got 9, same with Ovechkin.

DPyro is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 11:19 AM
  #411
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
All signs point to $8-9 Million. Crosby after his first 3 years got 9, same with Ovechkin.
Not likely.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 11:30 AM
  #412
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Maelmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
All signs point to $8-9 Million. Crosby after his first 3 years got 9, same with Ovechkin.
I rather think it will be about 6.5-7

__________________
Todd Harvey, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa, you are all missed in the game of hockey!
Maelmoor is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:43 PM
  #413
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
All signs point to $8-9 Million. Crosby after his first 3 years got 9, same with Ovechkin.
lol, I'm expecting a deal like Nicklas Backstrom

Vasilevskiy is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:56 PM
  #414
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
All signs point to $8-9 Million. Crosby after his first 3 years got 9, same with Ovechkin.
I'd love to hear what you mean by "all signs". LOL.

I Am Beat You is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:06 PM
  #415
LightningStrikes
Moderator
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
lol, I'm expecting a deal like Nicklas Backstrom
This.

LightningStrikes is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:45 PM
  #416
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I'd love to hear what you mean by "all signs". LOL.
All arbitrarily selected criteria.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:48 PM
  #417
Riverbolt
Registered User
 
Riverbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
All signs point to $8-9 Million. Crosby after his first 3 years got 9, same with Ovechkin.
Well lets say that this is true (for fun and spit-balling), what kind of situation does this put SFY in? If indeed this is the kind of contract the Stamkos camp is looking for does SFY look at trade options at the draft?

Now i highly doubt Stamkos is THAT guy, you know the one who hand-cuffs his team out of Cup contention for years to come, but for fun what do you folks think?

Riverbolt is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 02:00 PM
  #418
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd have no problems dealing Stamkos if the package was right. There is a number that is just beyond what I'd be willing to give him, especially for the Stamkos we seen post all-star break. There were fewer question marks surrounding Vinny when he signed his massive contract than what is surrounding Stamkos.

People say he should get what Crosby and Ovechkin are making. I wonder if these same people think that he has the same value as Crosby and Ovechkin in a trade. I doubt it, most of these people are just doomsayers who would wish ill upon our team or dismissable northerners hoping for another mass exodus of talent like what happened during our post cup years.

Rschmitz is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
  #419
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 13,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
There were fewer question marks surrounding Vinny when he signed his massive contract than what is surrounding Stamkos.
I don't know about that. Vinny signed his deal in 08 when he had a great first half and was considered a strong MVP candidate. Then his wrist bothered him, had a second half that wasn't as good, and the Cooke hit happened so he had to have a shoulder surgery. That didn't allow him to get the wrist surgery he needed. The two years before their contract signings are pretty similar with Vinny being injured at the end of his stretch.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 03:49 PM
  #420
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I don't know about that. Vinny signed his deal in 08 when he had a great first half and was considered a strong MVP candidate. Then his wrist bothered him, had a second half that wasn't as good, and the Cooke hit happened so he had to have a shoulder surgery. That didn't allow him to get the wrist surgery he needed. The two years before their contract signings are pretty similar with Vinny being injured at the end of his stretch.
I can agree with this train of thought to an extent Vinny in the 06-08 seasons and Stamkos 09-11. Out of those two Vinny has the edge everytime. So if Stamkos wants to be paid according to that, its fine with me, around $7 million.

I still think Vinny should be the highest paid player on this team.

bassassin is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 06:45 PM
  #421
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I don't know about that. Vinny signed his deal in 08 when he had a great first half and was considered a strong MVP candidate. Then his wrist bothered him, had a second half that wasn't as good, and the Cooke hit happened so he had to have a shoulder surgery. That didn't allow him to get the wrist surgery he needed. The two years before their contract signings are pretty similar with Vinny being injured at the end of his stretch.
That was the first year of the OK Corral right? Yeah.... I kinda wouldn't count that year for contract value comparison seriously.

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 07:10 PM
  #422
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 13,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
That was the first year of the OK Corral right? Yeah.... I kinda wouldn't count that year for contract value comparison seriously.
I wasn't saying Stamkos should get a similar deal, just disputing the point that Lecavalier had less question marks than Stamkos at the time he signed his deal. Yeah he had a bad second half, but I'm not worried about locking him up to a long-term deal after watching him tear through the league for two years before he hit his slump.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:27 PM
  #423
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I wasn't saying Stamkos should get a similar deal, just disputing the point that Lecavalier had less question marks than Stamkos at the time he signed his deal. Yeah he had a bad second half, but I'm not worried about locking him up to a long-term deal after watching him tear through the league for two years before he hit his slump.
No, you are right that Vinny had some question marks also, but Stammer's wasn't an issue with injuries. One thing that was brought up through the hockey "experts" was that when a top talent player such as Stamkos becomes limited in his success due to the opposing teams keying in on his tendencies, the sign of a potential long-term superstar is to find a way around what they are doing. Stamkos seemed to have difficulty doing that after the all-star break. At least 40% of his goals have all been on the PP and the goalies had figured him and the Lightning out as we saw on many occasions the goalies quickly moving to their right to block the incoming shot. IMO, he needs to spend a lot of time this off season and watch film and see where he can improve. He's not in the same league with Crosby and Ovechkin yet, but if he figures it out he will be. I think he should be a $6-7 mil player but I don't see Yzerman giving out a big money long-term contract like Vinny has.

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:35 PM
  #424
ultra63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
No, you are right that Vinny had some question marks also, but Stammer's wasn't an issue with injuries. One thing that was brought up through the hockey "experts" was that when a top talent player such as Stamkos becomes limited in his success due to the opposing teams keying in on his tendencies, the sign of a potential long-term superstar is to find a way around what they are doing. Stamkos seemed to have difficulty doing that after the all-star break. At least 40% of his goals have all been on the PP and the goalies had figured him and the Lightning out as we saw on many occasions the goalies quickly moving to their right to block the incoming shot. IMO, he needs to spend a lot of time this off season and watch film and see where he can improve. He's not in the same league with Crosby and Ovechkin yet, but if he figures it out he will be. I think he should be a $6-7 mil player but I don't see Yzerman giving out a big money long-term contract like Vinny has.
We can't afford another Vinny contact but other teams can afford to pay Stammer $7,000,000 plus long term

ultra63 is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
  #425
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
We can't afford another Vinny contact but other teams can afford to pay Stammer $7,000,000 plus long term
Yeah...they probably can and would try if they get the opportunity. We may have to wait and see what they offer and whether Stevie or Stammer are interested in matching. Hopefully it won't get to that point.

TBLHoser is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.