HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Talk: Who Comes And Who Goes

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2011, 08:53 PM
JedYzerman

vCash: 500
I am still saying the number is going to be around 5 mil for Stammer. You have to compare him to the talent we already have on the team. Vinny, MSL, Gagne.. with the exception of Vinny's outrageous deal MSL and Gagne both make around 5 mil. I put Stamkos in the same boat as those two.

Old
06-20-2011, 01:08 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Quote:
capgeek CapGeek
We're hearing the #NHL salary cap will be set between $63.5 and $64 million, but it's not set in stone just yet.
http://twitter.com/#!/capgeek

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
I'm told the upper limit of the 2011-12 NHL salary cap will be $64 million. The lower limit, or floor, will be $48 million.
http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Old
06-20-2011, 02:36 AM
TBLbrian

I'll be happy with a Stammer deal less than $8M.

As for Bergenhiem, I'm okay with him leaving if he wants big $$. Let's face it, now would be his best shot.

James Wright/Carter Ashton should take that 3rd line spot to start NHL development.

I do hope Brewers deal gets worked out. He is a valuable guy that you don't even notice him on the ice most nights (in a good way).

Old
06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Firestorm

What about Keith Ballard? Yes he has the stain of being a Canuck on him but it might help his game to play on a team where the coach treats him properly. With some confidence and a good coach (Boucher), he could play well (do a Brewer even).

I'm not a Canucks fan, I just hate seeing him being wasted in VAN.

Old
06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
What about Keith Ballard? Yes he has the stain of being a Canuck on him but it might help his game to play on a team where the coach treats him properly. With some confidence and a good coach (Boucher), he could play well (do a Brewer even).

I'm not a Canucks fan, I just hate seeing him being wasted in VAN.
Ehh...no. Ballard would be relatively low on my list of guys I'd want.

The problem is that he's making $4.2m for the next 4 years. It's too big of a number to take a chance on IMO. It'd be more efficient to get Brewer for that type of number, and then grab another Canuck from free agency.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Rschmitz

I can't see vancouver looking to deal ballord with their potential mass exodus on the blueline.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Burkart also scouted for NHL Central Scouting.

Old
06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

And he sent another tweet clarifying that Burkhart is currently the DOPP for Green Bay, not formerly.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweather26 View Post
I am still saying the number is going to be around 5 mil for Stammer. You have to compare him to the talent we already have on the team. Vinny, MSL, Gagne.. with the exception of Vinny's outrageous deal MSL and Gagne both make around 5 mil. I put Stamkos in the same boat as those two.
$5m for Stamkos seems unrealistic to me. Here's an update on the negotiations:

Quote:
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman is skipping the NHL awards in Las Vegas even though he is nominated for GM of the Year. Between the NHL's board of governors meeting in New York on Tuesday and the work that lies ahead at the draft this week in Minnesota, it didn't make any sense for him to try to squeeze that in.

His top priority is to get restricted free-agent center Steven Stamkos back under contract. Once July 1 rolls around, other NHL clubs can make him offers even though Tampa Bay would have the ability to match any proposals.

"We know that after July 1, he's open to offer sheets, we're fully aware of that," Yzerman told ESPN.com on Monday. "But we'd like to get a deal done, and we'd like to get a deal done before July 1. The deal, I understand, has to work for them, but it has to work for the team, too. We'll do everything we can to get a deal done."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...bryzgalov-more

Old
06-20-2011, 04:49 PM
JFleegs

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculato...er.php?id=1842

projected TB lineup for next yr.

Capgeek
FORWARDS (14)
Martin St. Louis ($5,625,000) Vincent Lecavalier ($7,727,273) Ted Purcell ($2,000,000)
Ryan Malone ($4,500,000) Steven Stamkos ($7,500,000) Steve Downie ($1,850,000)
Nate Thompson ($900,000) Dominic Moore ($1,100,000) Pascal Dupuis ($1,700,000)
Drew Miller ($800,000) Dana Tyrell ($845,833) James Wright ($1,005,000)
Mattias Ritola ($516,667) Blair Jones ($600,000)
DEFENSEMEN (7)
Victor Hedman ($3,500,000) Eric Brewer ($4,500,000)
Pavel Kubina ($3,850,000) Mattias Ohlund ($3,607,143)
Mike Lundin ($900,000) Brett Clark ($1,500,000)
Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1,200,000)
GOALTENDERS (2)
Dwayne Roloson ($2,700,000)
Cedrick Desjardins ($600,000)

Old
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFleegs View Post
Nope.

I don't think Pascal Dupuis is a guy SFY is targeting, (unless Surge can't be re-signed, then Dupuis might work) and Drew Miller coming back would be too epic, as we're owed a Drew Miller Hat Night.

Ritola is done with TB IMO.

There's also the little issue of not doing anything with the defensemen.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-20-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: considered if Surge doesn't return
Old
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculato...er.php?id=1842

projected TB lineup for next yr.

Capgeek
FORWARDS (14)
Martin St. Louis ($5,625,000) Vincent Lecavalier ($7,727,273) Ted Purcell ($2,000,000)
Ryan Malone ($4,500,000) Steven Stamkos ($7,500,000) Steve Downie ($1,850,000)
Nate Thompson ($900,000) Dominic Moore ($1,100,000) Pascal Dupuis ($1,700,000)
Drew Miller ($800,000) Dana Tyrell ($845,833) James Wright ($1,005,000)
Mattias Ritola ($516,667) Blair Jones ($600,000)
DEFENSEMEN (7)
Victor Hedman ($3,500,000) Eric Brewer ($4,500,000)
Pavel Kubina ($3,850,000) Mattias Ohlund ($3,607,143)
Mike Lundin ($900,000) Brett Clark ($1,500,000)
Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1,200,000)
GOALTENDERS (2)
Dwayne Roloson ($2,700,000)
Cedrick Desjardins ($600,000)
Brutal, that's even worse than this year.

Old
06-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Brutal, that's even worse than this year.
It's like the team two or three years ago.

There's also nary a universe where MA Bergeron should make more money than Mike Lundin. If this is one of those, I don't think I want to live in it.

It's sort of interesting how the fanbase has changed, and not changed. In years past, we've had very modest roster ideas for the next season (which is where the Asham love originated) but now we have SFY. And SFY can do anything.

If SFY wants to re-sign Surge, he will. If he can't get him to a number he likes, well then **** him, we didn't need him anyway.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-20-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old
06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
It's like the team two or three years ago.

There's also nary a universe where MA Bergeron should make more money than Mike Lundin. If this is one of those, I don't want to live in it.

It's sort of interesting how the fanbase has changed, and not changed. In years past, we've had very modest roster ideas for the next season (which is where the Asham love originated) but now we have SFY. And SFY can do anything.

If SFY wants to re-sign Surge, he will. If he can't get him to a number he likes, well then **** him, we didn't need him anyway.
Asham has played on some excellent teams, and he's been good in the playoffs. No team is too good for a guy like him.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Asham has played on some excellent teams, and he's been good in the playoffs. No team is too good for a guy like him.
Oh, I agree, but most fans don't put a guy like Asham down on their roster to begin with.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:10 PM
ultra63

"off-season Game Plan: Tampa Bay Lightning"

http://tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=369509

"Off-Season Game Plan looks at what GM Steve Yzerman might be able to do for an encore this summer, as he builds on the second-best season in franchise history.

While the coaching style of Guy Boucher, and his touted 1-3-1 system, surely deserves some credit for the Lightning's success -- their shot differential was best in the Eastern Conference -- it also is indicative of the talent at his disposal. "

"A high ankle sprain sabotaged a good chunk of Steve Downie's season, but he roared to life in the playoffs, scoring 14 points in 17 games despite playing just 12:36 per game. That was Downie at his finest, checking, scoring and agitating but, generally, under control. "

"Nate Thompson took a step forward in his career development, scoring a career-high 10 goals and 25 points while playing more than 15 minutes per game; impressive progress from a high-energy forward that never scored 40 points in any of his four junior seasons in the WHL"

"While it's easy for the Lightning to say that they will match any offer Stamkos receives, how the roster shakes out could be altered dramatically if another team shows up offering Stamkos a $150-million contract. Even marquee restricted free agents haven't received a lot of offer sheets, but when it comes to a 21-year-old like Stamkos or the Kings' Drew Doughty, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a team makes an outrageous offer because there is little projection required since they are already star players."

"Afforded a fresh start and an opportunity on a scoring line in Tampa Bay, Teddy Purcell thrived, tallying 51 points during the regular season and followed it up with 17 points in 18 games. Natrrally, that kind of production will earn the restricted free agent a raise, how much remains to be seen.

If the Lightning don't retain the services of their unrestricted free agent forwards, there will definitely be holes that need to be filled. Simon Gagne had a disappointing season and Sean Bergenheim may never again be as productive as he was during the playoffs, but they are two legitimate top nine forwards.

While there might be some fanciful talk of bringing Brad Richards back, it would either require great creativity on the Lightning's part or a willingness on Richards' part to take far less than he could make on the open market.

More reasonably, free agents like Pascal Dupuis, Chad LaRose or Drew Miller might be capable replacements to round out the forward ranks, but how much money the Lightning can afford to spend on free agents will be affected by how much Stamkos gets paid. "

"Pavel Kubina's role decreased as the season progressed (20:23 average time on ice pre-All-Star break, 17:07 after) and his total of 23 points was his lowest since 2002-2003. Take into account the concussion that knocked him out of the playoffs and the 34-year-old may be on the decline." (you think?)

"Veteran Brett Clark came in as a free agent and suddenly found himself on the power play, scoring a career-high 17 of his season-total 31 points with the man advantage. That Clark was required to play the point on the power play is more an indication of Tampa Bay's needs at the position than a sudden skill development of the 34-year-old blueliner.

Aside from his empty-net goal in the playoffs, Mattias Ohlund hasn't scored a goal in two seasons with the Lightning, and last season's five points was a career-low, but he rallied in the playoffs, logging more than 20 minutes per game and doing so more effectively than he has for the bulk of the past two seasons.

In what may come as a surprise to some, Mike Lundin ranked third among Lightning defencemen, behind Eric Brewer and Victor Hedman, in time on ice last season (20:24 per game). While his results haven't been particularly noteworthy, Lundin is quite economically priced for a top-four defenceman if he's indeed going to play those minutes.

Matt Smaby is huge (6-foot-6, 239 pounds), but doesn't play huge minutes. He's strictly an extra defenceman, playing 122 games over four seasons with the Lightning, with last year's 6:59 average time on ice per game the lowest among any defencemen that played more than 10 games in 2010-2011.

Tampa Bay's defence is the position most in need of an upgrade. If they could keep Brewer, who played very well after coming over from St. Louis, that would be a start, and Marc-Andre Bergeron can be an asset on the power play, but the Lightning should remain open to any trades or signings that will upgrade a defence corps that has too many vets in their mid-30s.

Again, how much money is available to bolster this position will depend on the cost associated with Stamkos' new deal, but a puck-mover like Andy Greene could be viable, particularly if Brewer departs. "

"The sixth overall pick last summer, Brett Connolly stayed relatively healthy last season and continued to show that he can put the puck in the net. His combination of size and skill makes him a potential frontline player and might even earn him a look next season, though if the Lightning are following a Detroit Red Wings model, he may be due to spend some time on the farm first.

A big winger with some scoring upside, Carter Ashton has steadily improved and already has 13 AHL games on his resume with late-season and playoff call-ups over the last two seasons. More seasoning is likely needed, but there's nothing wrong with a 20-year-old needing time to develop.

An elite talent who is still working on the consistent application of his gifts, Richard Panik may be a boom-or-bust player. If he matures and brings his best game nightly, then he should be a big scorer. If not, he may be be hard-pressed to reach the NHL.

A defenceman who can skate and plays the body, Radko Gudas would add a new element of physical play to the Tampa Bay blueline. If his decision-making is ready for the test, the 21-year-old could challenge for a spot as soon as next season.

Rushed to the NHL in 2009-2010, James Wright spent a full season in the AHL in 2010-2011 and was reasonably productive, surprisingly so given his junior scoring numbers. Wright is a big bodied player that will fit in a checking role and his time may be coming soon.

With 101 AHL games over the last two seasons, goaltender Dustin Tokarski has quite a bit of experience for a 21-year-old. Another year in the AHL won't hurt him as he is groomed to be a future starter."

"Johan Harju is now 25-year-old, so he's reached a crossroads of his career, and he's not likely to have the long-term upside of the younger Lightning prospects but, at the same time, he produced enough in the AHL last season to be considered for promotion. "

Old
06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I don't want Asham just so I can be 'that' guy. I quite honestly don't understand the fascination with him that some of you have. There's plenty of other players that bring what he does. He's your average 4th liner. Nothing special. Give me Blair Jones 10 times before a 33 year old Arron ****ing Asham. He'd just be a plug here, honestly. It's obvious that this team's makeup doesn't call for much, if any fighting at all. Downie has his scraps because he's Steve Downie and that's it. Keep giving me guys who are effective players on the 4th line like Thompson who can do it all.. PK, faceoffs, some offense, playing against top opposing lines. A Tyrell-Thompson-Jones 4th line would be an amazing energy line. This next season could be a bit of a breakout season for Tyrell for what he brings. I'm thinking 10-13 goals, 10-15 assists.

I know most of you want Asham as just a 13th forward but is that really even needed considering we go with 7 D a majority of the time anyway? If injuries occur there's some kids in Norfolk I'd like to give a chance rather than some 33 year old plug.

As for Drew Miller, all I have to say is.. why? He sucked his first time around. Dupuis I might be OK with for a Surge replacement but I'd rather look for a guy with a little more speed.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
"Johan Harju is now 25-year-old, so he's reached a crossroads of his career, and he's not likely to have the long-term upside of the younger Lightning prospects but, at the same time, he produced enough in the AHL last season to be considered for promotion. "
Harju signed a long-ass time ago with Lulea.

And I don't want Asham as the 13th forward. I would want him playing regularly.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:28 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
I can't see vancouver looking to deal ballord with their potential mass exodus on the blueline.
I don't know. Unloading Ballard's contract would probably cement Gillis's ability to re-sign both Bieksa and Ehrhoff if that was his ambition.

But I don't expect that Vancouver would be able to find a taker.

Old
06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
I'd like a better/faster-skating replacement for Hall, but I'd be content with Asham.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Harju signed a long-ass time ago with Lulea.

And I don't want Asham as the 13th forward. I would want him playing regularly.
OK I'm curious. Why?

What the hell seperates Asham aside from any other guy? He's a plug. He's been on 5 different teams, 4 of which post-lockout and it's not because he's a Dominic Moore type player. He's a guy you just "put there" so to say for a season or two. And if we plan to do that, I'd much much MUCH rather that spot go to Blair Jones, or maybe even Ashton if he earns it out of camp. The dude is 33 years old. I'm sorry guys, but I just don't ****ing get it.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:37 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
I don't want Asham just so I can be 'that' guy. I quite honestly don't understand the fascination with him that some of you have. There's plenty of other players that bring what he does. He's your average 4th liner. Nothing special. Give me Blair Jones 10 times before a 33 year old Arron ****ing Asham. He'd just be a plug here, honestly. It's obvious that this team's makeup doesn't call for much, if any fighting at all. Downie has his scraps because he's Steve Downie and that's it. Keep giving me guys who are effective players on the 4th line like Thompson who can do it all.. PK, faceoffs, some offense, playing against top opposing lines. A Tyrell-Thompson-Jones 4th line would be an amazing energy line. This next season could be a bit of a breakout season for Tyrell for what he brings. I'm thinking 10-13 goals, 10-15 assists.

I know most of you want Asham as just a 13th forward but is that really even needed considering we go with 7 D a majority of the time anyway? If injuries occur there's some kids in Norfolk I'd like to give a chance rather than some 33 year old plug.

As for Drew Miller, all I have to say is.. why? He sucked his first time around. Dupuis I might be OK with for a Surge replacement but I'd rather look for a guy with a little more speed.
Asham has 4 seasons with 10 or more goals and is a very good playoff performer. He's a good locker room presence as well and has gone deep in the postseason on multiple occasions. Add in his toughness, and he's got pretty much everything you could ask for a 4th liner. To say he's a plug is nothing short of absurd. He's well above average as far as 4th liners go, and when you look at his numbers and everything he brings to the table, I find it difficult to see how you could say he's way behind a guy who hasn't seen a full season in the NHL. Even Nate Thompson was a fringe NHL player until he played his first year of good hockey this past season.

To suggest Asham isn't good enough to be on our team makes it seem like you have zero clue about his game. I can understand preferring certain players, but you aren't giving Asham nearly enough credit. The guy is practically the epitome of what most teams want a 4th liner to be.

And having just read your most recent post....Wow. Get a clue.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:43 PM
JFleegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
OK I'm curious. Why?

What the hell seperates Asham aside from any other guy? He's a plug. He's been on 5 different teams, 4 of which post-lockout and it's not because he's a Dominic Moore type player. He's a guy you just "put there" so to say for a season or two. And if we plan to do that, I'd much much MUCH rather that spot go to Blair Jones, or maybe even Ashton if he earns it out of camp. The dude is 33 years old. I'm sorry guys, but I just don't ****ing get it.
I agree, I could give a damn about asham. Last yr we tried to get him and he decided to go with pittsburgh. I think we were just as well without him. I liked drew miller when he was here actually, kind of reminds me of thompson and with a great coach at the helm could be an effective energy guy.

Old
06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Is it wrong to want Asham just to give certain people something positive to talk about?

Old
06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Asham has 4 seasons with 10 or more goals and is a very good playoff performer. He's a good locker room presence as well and has gone deep in the postseason on multiple occasions. Add in his toughness, and he's got pretty much everything you could ask for a 4th liner. To say he's a plug is nothing short of absurd. He's well above average as far as 4th liners go, and when you look at his numbers and everything he brings to the table, I find it difficult to see how you could say he's way behind a guy who hasn't seen a full season in the NHL. Even Nate Thompson was a fringe NHL player until he played his first year of good hockey this past season.

To suggest Asham isn't good enough to be on our team makes it seem like you have zero clue about his game. I can understand preferring certain players, but you aren't giving Asham nearly enough credit. The guy is practically the epitome of what most teams want a 4th liner to be.

And having just read your most recent post....Wow. Get a clue.
I should have known better. This is why, really? Toughness? Name one thing Asham does that a guy like Blair Jones can't do? Experience does not matter for a 4th liner when this team itself just went 1 goal a way from going to the Finals and we already have a great influx of veterans on the team anyhow. Two of his 10+ goal seasons came before the lockout as well, so let's not get all on board the offensive train with this guy either. He was a healthy scratch for the Pens fairly often and was injured this past season and was only inserted into the lineup full time when they had injury troubles. He's 33 years old and would only be here for one season MAX. If we were to sign this plug, yes plug, I don't understand why we wouldn't just give the spot to Blair Jones instead, who had a good playoffs for as much as he played. It'd be a useless signing and that's my opinion.

Sorry.

Quote:
I agree, I could give a damn about asham. Last yr we tried to get him and he decided to go with pittsburgh. I think we were just as well without him. I liked drew miller when he was here actually, kind of reminds me of thompson and with a great coach at the helm could be an effective energy guy.
Well, if he can't do well under Mike Babcock then I think it's safe to say that coaching isn't the problem for Miller.

Closed Thread