HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Well, it's going up quite a bit...

Old
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
Well, it's going up quite a bit...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6389351

"The National Hockey League is remaining with NBC and its networks for at least the next 10 years as its U.S. media partners, the league and the network announced Tuesday.

The deal, which is reportedly worth $2 billion and extends through the 2020-21 season, includes exclusive rights for NBC's networks, including Versus, to the Stanley Cup playoffs."

An extra 200 mil a year into the kitty is going to pop the salary cap (and floor) up by quite a bit.

This is great news for the Wings and the rich teams, and less good news for the less rich to poor teams who will now have to deal with a cap floor that's however many million higher.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
If I'm not mistaken, Vs. is owned by Comcast which just bought NBC Universal from GE so they could seriously expand Vs. into a true ESPN rival and use them in conjunction with NBC (like ESPN on ABC).

This could be really good for the NHL. That or Vs grows and grows and then dumps the NHL to get high school basketball so Bettman has to take $10 from Oprah to broadcast games...

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:58 PM
HockeyinHD

Back when the issue of a new TV contract was being discussed, I think I said something very similar to that.

It's a smart move for Comcast, which is likely to have the only active sport in 6 months other than Baseball considering the NFL is locked out and the NBA shows every sign of being so.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Higher cap = Great news for Wings.

As for the deal itself I wanted ESPN to get something out of it as I miss Gary Thorne calling NHL games. Oh and the fact I love ESPNs NHL theme song.

Other than that its a great deal for the NHL.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Mo money means a better roster for the Detroit so what's not to like? I'm also glad it happened after the Hawks had to sell off half their friggin' team in a yard sale. How's that Marian Hossa contract workin' out for ya guys?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:29 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I am surprised the NHL, which was in high demand this time around, agreed to a 10-year deal.
How do they benefit from that?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I am surprised the NHL, which was in high demand this time around, agreed to a 10-year deal.
With the NFL and NBA both seemingly headed towards lockouts, I can't imagine ESPN bidding more than they would right now. I think Versus is and will continue to be more committed to the NHL than any other network. Mainly because they don't really have anything else, but I think they've done everything and more than what ESPN has or could've done.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:15 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
With the NFL and NBA both seemingly headed towards lockouts, I can't imagine ESPN bidding more than they would right now. I think Versus is and will continue to be more committed to the NHL than any other network. Mainly because they don't really have anything else, but I think they've done everything and more than what ESPN has or could've done.
As fan, I have no problem with vs, other than the nonstop rodeo commercials.

I just don't know how wise a 10-year deal is.

Old
04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
jacK

Quote:

so, so true...

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
grsbmd

Actually this is really good news for teams that have are stuck with terrible contract decisions. (Huet, Souray, etc.)

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
jacK

Quote:
Ebersol said the Versus name will be changed within 90 days to better reflect its association with NBC.
hmm... seems like VS has done very well w/ their re-branding efforts from the OLN days, and is a household name w/in hockey circles [and beyond, i'm sure.] hopefully they don't blow this just to put the NBC name on everything they own.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
DetBigWangs

B Richards sweepstakes here we come?

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetBigWangs View Post
B Richards sweepstakes here we come?
No chance.

Old
04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsbmd View Post
Actually this is really good news for teams that have are stuck with terrible contract decisions. (Huet, Souray, etc.)
In theory, yes.

In realilty, those teams will just fill up their newfound cap space with equally horrible contracts.

This just opens the Hawks up to sign the next Brian Campbell, or for the Devils to sign another Kovalchuk deal.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Come on Kenny, do a Hossa summer 2008

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
No chance.
Actually I'd say it depends on how high the cap goes and whether Nick retires. If he does, they could have a lot of cap room and adding someone like Richards might fit into their structure. He also might have teams scared of his concussions this year, causing him to look for a Hossa-esque 1 year show-me deal. The Wings could definitely be in that market.

They can always put Z on the wing and have a top 12 of Z-D-Bert, Cleary-Richards-Franzen, Hudler-Filppula-Abdelkader, Homer-Helm-Mursak/Eaves/Miller. If they get a decent top 3 defender, that's a really good lineup. And it's not completely impossible to think they could afford it short-term. I think the smarter move would be to get two really good defensemen, but a top 4 D and a top 6 forward wouldn't be the end of the world.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Actually I'd say it depends on how high the cap goes and whether Nick retires. If he does, they could have a lot of cap room and adding someone like Richards might fit into their structure. He also might have teams scared of his concussions this year, causing him to look for a Hossa-esque 1 year show-me deal. The Wings could definitely be in that market.

They can always put Z on the wing and have a top 12 of Z-D-Bert, Cleary-Richards-Franzen, Hudler-Filppula-Abdelkader, Homer-Helm-Mursak/Eaves/Miller. If they get a decent top 3 defender, that's a really good lineup. And it's not completely impossible to think they could afford it short-term.
Brad Richard's cap hit right now is 7.8m and he put up a 90pt season a year ago. Teams like Toronto and the Rangers won't let his cap hit get much lower and I don't see him as the type of guy who'll take 5m to play for a winning organization. I also don't see the Wings needing/wanting a guy like Richards while Datsyuk, Z and Franzen are here.

Old
04-19-2011, 04:38 PM
FabricDetails

Weber sweepstakes... Hehe.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

My sentiments exactly. The entire footprint expansion plan was initiated to get that big TV contract. This sounds like the league settled for another..... TEN YEARS.... for an amount similar to what they get from Canada (roughly $100MM from CBC and another $50-100MM from TSN, depending on the source).

Old
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
chances14

it's too bad espn didn't up the ante. i know versus has hockey as its number one sport, but it is still just a niche network among sports fans

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
My sentiments exactly. The entire footprint expansion plan was initiated to get that big TV contract. This sounds like the league settled for another..... TEN YEARS.... for an amount similar to what they get from Canada (roughly $100MM from CBC and another $50-100MM from TSN, depending on the source).
Long deals for sports properties is basically the industry standard now, for example see every college football property deal made recently or that will be made in the hear future (Texas Longhorn network, PAC 12 contract, Big XII contract, etc.).

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:21 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Long deals for sports properties is basically the industry standard now, for example see every college football property deal made recently or that will be made in the hear future (Texas Longhorn network, PAC 12 contract, Big XII contract, etc.).
agreed. fsd also signed 10 year contract in 08 to broadcast tigers, pistons, and wings game

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
19 for president

vCash: 562
I'd love to see something like:

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.500m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Ty Conklin ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,058,711; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,342,000

Bieksa gives the Wings another RD and guy that has a bit of a snarl. It also gives us potentially the best top 6 in the league. The forward lineup remains largely the same and I think that is fine. It won't change a ton until Bert and Homer leave. I'd be ok with E coming back but not at anymore than 2mil a year and that is pushing it. I'd only say 2 mil is acceptable if he continues playing well in the playoffs and its at least a 3-4 year deal. If the cap goes up by 3 mil we could do that and still have a little bit of room under the cap.

Then in 12/13
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.870m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($3.00m) / Justin Abdelkader ($2.00m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / UFA Center (1.5mil)/ Gustav Nyquist ($0.762m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($6.500m) / Niklas Kronwall ($5.500m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.500m) / Brad Stuart ($4.00m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Backup Goalie (1.m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,727,000; BONUSES
CAP SPACE (18-man roster): $4.673mil

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Only as long as the league wants to make it. My point is that we've been told for a couple decades now that the only thing preventing the NHL from competing for a massive national broadcast contract is the lack of a national footprint. These things take time, we were told. So is the culmination of the master plan--- $200 MM in the US? For an entire decade? No one expects the NHL's value or ratings to increase significantly for TEN yrs?

Please keep in mind that there are six teams in Canada, as you know, and the NHL has two national contracts there (excluding RDS) that are valued for almost the same amount of money per annum.

I fail to see this as some great moral victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
agreed. fsd also signed 10 year contract in 08 to broadcast tigers, pistons, and wings game
Yes, but.... The Wings are getting $30 MM for their regional broadcast rights. One team and they receive 1/6th-ish of what the entire NHL can muster in the US.

More importantly though, when the FSD contract was negotiated, did they figure on being able to carry playoff games in their region? Just think how pissed off you would be if you'd paid for those rights only to have the league come and pull the rug out from under you. They have the first round available to them, unless NBC claims one of those games (which they always do) and then they're done. Second round and on all goes to the national rights holder.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Only as long as the league wants to make it. My point is that we've been told for a couple decades now that the only thing preventing the NHL from competing for a massive national broadcast contract is the lack of a national footprint. These things take time, we were told. So is the culmination of the master plan--- $200 MM in the US? For an entire decade? No one expects the NHL's value or ratings to increase significantly for TEN yrs?

Please keep in mind that there are six teams in Canada, as you know, and the NHL has two national contracts there (excluding RDS) that are valued for almost the same amount of money per annum.

I fail to see this as some great moral victory.

Yes, but.... The Wings are getting $30 MM for their regional broadcast rights. One team and they receive 1/6th-ish of what the entire NHL can muster in the US.

More importantly though, when the FSD contract was negotiated, did they figure on being able to carry playoff games in their region? Just think how pissed off you would be if you'd paid for those rights only to have the league come and pull the rug out from under you. They have the first round available to them, unless NBC claims one of those games (which they always do) and then they're done. Second round and on all goes to the national rights holder.
I agree. When it comes to TV, the NHL is fledgling. They're coming off a terrible monetary deal with NBC and now suddenly have all this interest in the sport. I don't see the need to give away 10 years.