HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Notes: Carter frustrated with scoring slump

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Which is making my point, this team has lacked a consistent #1 goalie for @20 years.
There isn't a single available goalie who is worth Jeff Carter

Old
04-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...right, but Boucher could have posted quite good numbers in Game 1... you don't know. So citing that Quick has faced 60 more SOG doesn't really phase me. He's also allowed 6 goals twice in that series.
And you do not know whether Boucher would have let in a softie like he has been prone to do. This is the issue, goaltending is the main focus and the reason why guys are shuffled in and out, they do not have a defined #1 goalie.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There isn't a single available goalie who is worth Jeff Carter
Really? So Jeff Carter is completely and 100% a player who cannot be moved even though he may have the most value in return to clear space for a goalie?

Old
04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Carter Pic

Quote:
IF he is rehabbing and is suffering from swelling the last thing he should be doing is going out and being in a standing/sitting position, the proper care it to stay off the knee at all times, no weight bearing, a tens unit, ice, and elevation. So if he is serious about getting back to play the answer would be that going out is not the answer.
From my sources

Old
04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
I have not read any reports about his knee, but there are forms of rehab which cna be done to help with all the above issues you have brought up, unless it is a tear in which case he would have been in surgery. Still trying to figure out exactly what is keeping him out.
Help, but not fix. You can do flexes and that type of stuff to work some of the swelling out of the joint, but it isn't a magical cure. We're also 1 week removed from the injury TODAY... for a knee sprain, we're early in the recovery phase. You're acting like this happened a month ago.

As far as the below... what is fascinating is how quickly you leap on witness reports from a bar on a Friday night. Ever been in Mad River on a weekend?

Quote:
IF he is rehabbing and is suffering from swelling the last thing he should be doing is going out and being in a standing/sitting position, the proper care it to stay off the knee at all times, no weight bearing, a tens unit, ice, and elevation. So if he is serious about getting back to play the answer would be that going out is not the answer.
How do you know he was putting weight on it? Can't crutch it to the bar? He could have had it elevated. Fact is you don't know.

Quote:
He can do whatever he wants during the offseason, but once the post-season hits it is all about business where a game can make the difference between a Cup and going home. Even being sighted in a place where he should not be is going to raise speculation, remove yourself from any possible situation that could raise any doubt.
Or people can learn to grow the **** up and realize that athletes are people to with lives. He isn't a *ing politician or something. He wants to go have a beer with his buddy, go have a beer.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
And you do not know whether Boucher would have let in a softie like he has been prone to do. This is the issue, goaltending is the main focus and the reason why guys are shuffled in and out, they do not have a defined #1 goalie.
So nothing on Quick getting shredded twice in that series?

Old
04-25-2011, 03:14 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

So he's supposed to use TENS 24/7? The fact is, you and I and possibly the doctors don't know the extent of the injury so acting like you're a doctor is ridiculous. I'm sure if drinking a beer was going to be detrimental to his recovery, the doctors would tell him not to drink.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
So he's supposed to use TENS 24/7? The fact is, you and I and possibly the doctors don't know the extent of the injury so acting like you're a doctor is ridiculous. I'm sure if drinking a beer was going to be detrimental to his recovery, the doctors would tell him not to drink.
To be fair if he's on meds it's not exactly a great idea but maybe he is into alternative medicine....ALCOHOL!

Old
04-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Totally Radivojevic

My favorite quote, Lisa Hilary on CSN prior to game 6:

"Just talked to Jeff Carter. He will not play today, but says he feels ok."

Yeah, I know he probably feels a little less than ok, but still hilarious given his image/reputation.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I find it amusing to see all of you whiners complaining because young guys drink. I was drunk a lot when I was in my 20s and I was still able to get to work at 7 am and by evening I was ready for more. I still look back on those days fondly because I can't handle booze like that anymore!

Remember when Pronger had knee surgery really late in the off season? They waited because they weren't sure he'd need it. It's not uncommon to wait and see what happens because doctors would rather not operate if there is a chance the injury can heal on its own. All we know from the Flyers' brass is he has an MCL injury. The writers all said he was limping badly the night of the injury and that's it.
Pronger was a chronic issue where the cartilage(meniscus) gets so damaged that they cannot do anything to repair the knee but what they can do is go in a clean it out. Carter with an MCL sprain would have some minor issues such as swelling but should be able to be braced and ready to go with 7-10 days of the injury.

I had a similar injury in HS, so swollen I could not put on a pair of pants, basically stayed off the knee, ice, kept it elevated and by the next weekend I was playing with a brace and some pain.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
according to the mike missenelli show today, carter was seen out having beers in old city last night. i know hes scratched, but still...doesnt send the right message.
Quote:
What message is that? He's of age?

People are FAR too concerned about this crap...
Quote:
Is he supposed to exile himself from the world until he's fit to play?
for real? the message that he's not taking it serious. do it behind closed doors. this is the playoffs - have beers with your teammates at their houses while watching other games or something - dont go out on the town and give people a reason to question you.

hell in college if we were seen out drinking a few nights before a game we would be disciplined - and 99% of the reason for disciplining us was because of how it looked to the people in the community.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Really? So Jeff Carter is completely and 100% a player who cannot be moved even though he may have the most value in return to clear space for a goalie?
He would be a massive overpayment. I don't want to see that.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
No, but the tens can be used and ice and an anti-inflammatory to be used routinely throughout the period in question to help with the inflammation. The important part of this is to help with the swelling it is imperitive to stay off your feet as much as possible, not sure if going to a bar qualifies.

And to answer your question I am a PA-C, and received my undergraduate training in Athletic Training, now work primarily in adminstrative/business analyst issues regarding an orthopedic practice.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
for real? the message that he's not taking it serious. do it behind closed doors. this is the playoffs - have beers with your teammates at their houses while watching other games or something - dont go out on the town and give people a reason to question you.

hell in college if we were seen out drinking a few nights before a game we would be disciplined - and 99% of the reason for disciplining us was because of how it looked to the people in the community.
His teammates are busy playing games, so they wouldnt and shouldnt be drinking. How do you know he didn't just go out to watch the game in a Philly bar, with Philly fans? That would be pretty awesome, and would help the teams image by being involved in the community.

Also, there is a world of difference between drinking in the NCAA and in professional sports. In the NCAA, some athletes may not even legally be adults in some cases, and many aren't legal to drink. There's a world of difference between college sports and pro sports.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
No, but the tens can be used and ice and an anti-inflammatory to be used routinely throughout the period in question to help with the inflammation. The important part of this is to help with the swelling it is imperitive to stay off your feet as much as possible, not sure if going to a bar qualifies.

And to answer your question I am a PA-C, and received my undergraduate training in Athletic Training, now work primarily in adminstrative/business analyst issues regarding an orthopedic practice.
I'm going to find your office, sneak in, and paint a mural of Jeff Carter

Old
04-25-2011, 03:30 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Yes, because folks calling in from BARS are reliable WITNESSES. And, as noted, even if he was in Mad River... I don't really care, the dude is allowed to have a life.
wasnt "folks"...it was missenelli's producer..john marks?? who was there for the darren daulton event - said he saw carter at the bar. sounds pretty legit to me.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
I find it amusing to see all of you whiners complaining because young guys drink. I was drunk a lot when I was in my 20s and I was still able to get to work at 7 am and by evening I was ready for more. I still look back on those days fondly because I can't handle booze like that anymore!
you clearly dont get it...and you clearly never played in the stanley cup playoffs.

its the MESSAGE that him being out at a bar during the playoff sends.

Old
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
He would be a massive overpayment. I don't want to see that.
Playing devils advocate here, but isn't paying for a guy who does not produce in the playoffs when you have a goaltending issue a major overpayment in an area of depth?

For the $5mill you could get a goalie and pay for a wing to play with JvR and Giroux, say Eric Cole for $2.5mill? Looking at the goalies around the $2-3mil mark are Roloson, Rinne, Halak, Price.....

Old
Jester

Quote:

So, Jeff Carter, who lives in Old City, isn't allowed to go out his front door and grab a drink when he's off the job because everyone else is so hysterical that they can't handle that pro athletes *gasp* go to bars?

Old
04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
wasnt "folks"...it was missenelli's producer..john marks?? who was there for the darren daulton event - said he saw carter at the bar. sounds pretty legit to me.
Then why didn't he go up and talk to him? Take a picture with his phone?

Old
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
His teammates are busy playing games, so they wouldnt and shouldnt be drinking. How do you know he didn't just go out to watch the game in a Philly bar, with Philly fans? That would be pretty awesome, and would help the teams image by being involved in the community.

Also, there is a world of difference between drinking in the NCAA and in professional sports. In the NCAA, some athletes may not even legally be adults in some cases, and many aren't legal to drink. There's a world of difference between college sports and pro sports.
im sure Lavi would think that him going out to a bar during the playoffs is a great idea, and a great way to get involved in the community. im not sure if you meant to put one of these in there or not.

off topic - but most NCAA hockey players are of age...after playing a few years of juniors or a PG year at a prep school, a lot of kids are 20/21 year old freshmen.

like i said, it just doesnt send the message that "hey im injured but i am doing everything i can to get back in the lineup because i want to win a stanley cup"

Old
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Playing devils advocate here, but isn't paying for a guy who does not produce in the playoffs when you have a goaltending issue a major overpayment in an area of depth?

For the $5mill you could get a goalie and pay for a wing to play with JvR and Giroux, say Eric Cole for $2.5mill? Looking at the goalies around the $2-3mil mark are Roloson, Rinne, Halak, Price.....
For the first part, it's not that he isn't producing. It's that he's injured. There's a huge difference. Even if he isn't producing (well, and playing), he's good on defense so it's not like he's a complete detriment.

As for the second part, it depends entirely on the winger and goalie, and if the winger can come close to matching what Carter brings on offense and in his own end. Chances are good the answer is no. Personally, I'd rather not give up assets for a goalie before we know if Bob can be the clear number 1 in a year or two. We do have a hell of a prospect, unlike last year when we had crap.

Old
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
So, Jeff Carter, who lives in Old City, isn't allowed to go out his front door and grab a drink when he's off the job because everyone else is so hysterical that they can't handle that pro athletes *gasp* go to bars?
He is still getting paid to be a part of the team and should be doing everything possible to get back for game 7, not being the Flyers ambassodor to the neighborhood. Heck, maybe he can volunteer to do participate in neighborhood watch program against violence instead?

Old
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
He is still getting paid to be a part of the team and should be doing everything possible to get back for game 7, not being the Flyers ambassodor to the neighborhood. Heck, maybe he can volunteer to do participate in neighborhood watch program against violence instead?
So should the guys that are parents abandon their children during the season?

Old
04-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
im sure Lavi would think that him going out to a bar during the playoffs is a great idea, and a great way to get involved in the community. im not sure if you meant to put one of these in there or not.

off topic - but most NCAA hockey players are of age...after playing a few years of juniors or a PG year at a prep school, a lot of kids are 20/21 year old freshmen.

like i said, it just doesnt send the message that "hey im injured but i am doing everything i can to get back in the lineup because i want to win a stanley cup"
Dude, these aren't high school or college players. Coaches don't run their personal lives. The entire coach/player dynamic is completely different. In college, in many cases, coaches often act as mentors, teachers, advisors, etc. Coaches in pro sports don't do that. You can't compare the two; they aren't compatible.

edit: A more fitting analogy is employee/employer. If your boss told you you can't have some beers in the evening, while you have nothing else going on, would you put up with that?

Closed Thread