HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breaking News- Landsdown Live

Old
04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Breaking News- Landsdown Live

City of Ottawa, developer agree to concessions with 11 of 14 Lansdowne opponents
By Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen April 13, 2011 4:02 PM Comments (1)
•Story•Photos ( 1 )
Planned redevelopment of Lansdowne Park has faced numerous challenges.OTTAWA — The city and its partner in the Lansdowne Park redevelopment — the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group — settled on Wednesday with 11 of the 14 parties appealing the project to the Ontario Municipal Board.

The concessions include giving $300,000 to the Glebe BIA and $30,000 to community groups to help them through what will surely be a disrupting construction session when the Lansdowne project gets underway. The city and OSEG will split the costs equally.

Some of OSEG’s concessions seem fairly major, in particular a plan to eliminate nine-storey residential buildings that would have faced Holmwood Avenue.

The town houses along Holmwood are still going ahead, but the commercial buildings in behind them will only be about four storeys high — the same height as the townhouses.

In addition, there will be a small public square at the corner of Bank Street and Holmwood, and the condo tower going up at the intersection will be capped at 12 storeys instead of the previously planned 14.

Also, vehicular access to Lansdowne will now be restricted from Holmwood, addressing one of the major concerns of that street’s residents.

The zonings for another two commercial buildings on the site will also be reduced, but that would have affected future development and not what was planned immediately.

There are now only three individuals left who are continuing with their appeals of the project, but city officials do not believe the cases will take long to hear.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/City+Ot...#ixzz1JRISeLqf

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:07 PM
SensontheRush
Rik Rondra

Finally!....although I probably won't live in Ottawa by the time its finished.

SensontheRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
SenzZen

Greasy, greasy deal.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Greasy, greasy deal.
It doe this or let it stay as it is for years to come.

Old
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
It doe this or let it stay as it is for years to come.
Do you know what the proposed payment plan is for the developers' for use of the land?

Do you know that you can forget about the Sens' arena ever coming closer to downtown?

Old
04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Do you know what the proposed payment plan is for the developers' for use of the land?

Do you know that you can forget about the Sens' arena ever coming closer to downtown?
Could it be better sure but its better then nothing and just let the stadium and arena rot for years to come.

Old
04-13-2011, 04:26 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Could it be better sure but its better then nothing and just let the stadium and arena rot for years to come.
Unfortunately that's been the state of things for years already, but charging the landholders $1/year for the next 30 years, then dumping the remaining cost on to the City after that time is ridiculous if not criminal. We'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

The whole LL group is in bed with each other (call me naive).

Old
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

now my life is ruined because of construction noise

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Unfortunately that's been the state of things for years already, but charging the landholders $1/year for the next 30 years, then dumping the remaining cost on to the City after that time is ridiculous if not criminal. We'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

The whole LL group is in bed with each other (call me naive).
I don't see how its criminal again its not perfect but its far better then whats there now.

Old
04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

So when do they finally put the shovels in the ground, or are the *friends of the glebe* still fussing?

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:06 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
****ing glebite nimby lawyers holding everything up.

04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
****ing glebite nimby lawyers holding everything up.
About the nimby thing...Would you be ok with your neighbourhood being transformed like this?

Try to think about it from a homeowners/taxpayers point of view, not a sports fan.

Spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:22 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
About the nimby thing...Would you be ok with your neighbourhood being transformed like this?

Try to think about it from a homeowners/taxpayers point of view, not a sports fan.
99% of the people that live there were all well aware that there was a sports stadium/complex, weren't they? They can't scream nimby when the park has out lived all the people in the neighborhood. No one forced them to buy near an outdoor stadium so their complaints don't hold a lot of water. If OSEG really wanted to they could give the, all the finger and they would get nothing, however, they decided to go this route because they absolutely need to start diggin in order to get ready for the 2013 CFL season.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Beyond that, people need to realize that they only own their property. When you buy a house, you don't get a say in what happens within a ten block radius surrounding the place.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:49 PM
pt_mck

[QUOTE=Spex;32345354]About the nimby thing...Would you be ok with your neighbourhood being transformed like this?

Try to think about it from a homeowners/taxpayers point of view, not a sports fan.[/QUO
TE]

Yes I would be ok with it property values would skyrocket

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
99% of the people that live there were all well aware that there was a sports stadium/complex, weren't they? They can't scream nimby when the park has out lived all the people in the neighborhood. No one forced them to buy near an outdoor stadium so their complaints don't hold a lot of water. If OSEG really wanted to they could give the, all the finger and they would get nothing, however, they decided to go this route because they absolutely need to start diggin in order to get ready for the 2013 CFL season.
True, Lansdowne version 1.0 was there long before they were. But version 2.0 is a future project. So the people in the surrounding area have just as much say in this as anyone else. So that old tired lined is outdated

And just in case I get called a glebite, I'm not. In fact, I don't even live within the city of Ottawa. So as long as pronvicial or federal money isn't involved, I don't care how much this project costs

Old
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Troopa View Post
Beyond that, people need to realize that they only own their property. When you buy a house, you don't get a say in what happens within a ten block radius surrounding the place.
So if a big stadium or shopping mall opened up a few blocks over and your quiet street suddenly turns into a freeway or a parking lot, you wouldn't say anything?

Do you even own a home?

Old
04-13-2011, 08:39 PM
SenzZen

Conversely, you could say that people in the suburbs thoughts on the matter are: I'm surrounded by box-stores, so why shouldn't everybody else?

The sports stadium is one thing- I'm all for updating the venue. But the way the contract is written, it restricts the future construction of other venues within a rather large radius, for a long time. How long is Scotiabank Place going to stand? There's a good chance when its day is up, the new facility will have to be built a similar distance from the city core. But maybe they'll move it out past Orleans at that time- just to balance it out.

Old
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
So if a big stadium or shopping mall opened up a few blocks over and your quiet street suddenly turns into a freeway or a parking lot, you wouldn't say anything?

Do you even own a home?
It happens all of the time. You buy the house, not the neighbourhood. Nobody's ever going to want a mall built next to their house, but everybody shops at malls. If we bend to everyone, nothing ever gets built. I don't own a house yet, but when I do, you won't catch me hiring lawyers and acting like a little ***** all the time.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
You need to appreciate the taxpayers of Ottawa own that land, not the OSEG.

For the City of Ottawa to allow commerical development on that property, with the ultimate cost risk falling to the tax payers is wrong IMO.

I would have preferred if the city had just sold the land for its market value and stayed out of being in bed with the OSEG.

This deal presents significant risk to Ottawa taxpayers in the future, while the developers will have made there money on the condo and retail space.

BTW I don't live near Landsdown.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:05 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
It happens all of the time. You buy the house, not the neighbourhood. Nobody's ever going to want a mall built next to their house, but everybody shops at malls. If we bend to everyone, nothing ever gets built. I don't own a house yet, but when I do, you won't catch me hiring lawyers and acting like a little ***** all the time.
Maybe not, but your kids will be fined for playing road hockey

Old
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

great lets build more short stupid squatty buildings and continue the urban sprawl rather than building up like every other decent city in the world.

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
When you buy a house you check out how the land is zoned around you to prevent a mall rising up beside you. But when you buy a house beside a city park, you don't expect the city to allow a mall to be buit on it.

While I do agree most of the homeowners in the Glebe were aware Landsowne Park was there, it was a minor inconvenience for 8 home football games. It is quite another matter when the city becomes party to a commercial enterprise that brings an increase in traffic and inconvenience to a neighbourhood.

I don't live in the Glebe, but I was a RR and Renagade season ticket holder, and I can say without a doubt, the traffic and parking turned the Glebe into a nightmare.

I just can't imagine what shoppers at these new stores will do to the traffic in the area on a regular basis.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieghetti View Post
great lets build more short stupid squatty buildings and continue the urban sprawl rather than building up like every other decent city in the world.
Not sure that the development of Lansdowne Live is preventing urban sprawl in any way, shape, or form.

It is a commercial endeavour being added to an existing sports facility. If the plan was to turn most of the area into high or medium density housing, then maybe you have a point.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

12 storey condo? even the proposed 14 is a joke. No reason these developments can't be 30+ storeys.

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote