HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Showing up? Not so much

Old
04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't think the salary cap is as much of an issue as it once was. If, as expected, the NHLPA chooses to exercise its automatic 5% escalator, the cap will be at or around $62.2m. Miller's salary will account for roughly 10% of the entire cap. You can still pay your grinders peanuts, and your young players will still be on cheap ELC's. This allows for more money to go to your top players. And, oddly, the NHL marketplace has seen fewer huge cap hits (primarily b/c of longer deals to reduce them) while the cap rises. We finally have an owner who doesn't seem to be fundamentally opposed to long-term deals.

Buffalo should have a bit of money to spend this offseason. They will have even more if they should choose to trade one or more of Boyes, Morrisonn, Pominville, or even Stafford (disclaimer: I'm not advocating the trading of any of those players [except ShaMo], just making a point).

They can put a really good team around Miller if they make the correct moves. I just don't see his contract as prohibitive to the point that trading him is either necessary or is the only option to alleviate the team's issues. I think the team can win with him; they have won with him (and would've won the ultimate goal, but for a rash of defensive injuries, but I digress). Now it's Pegula's and Regier's job to make the moves to make this team a contender again.
that's exactly right... but that doesn't make it NOT an option

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
853 and 880

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Miller's been appreciably better than an average NHL goaltender for about half of his NHL career, and took a step backward this year. If there's an option to move him for what amounts to fair value, it wouldn't be that hard to institute a system that makes any goaltender look good enough i.e. Miller 05-07, Nashville's goalie factory, Toskala in SJ, etc.

That's a big if though.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that's exactly right... but that doesn't make it NOT an option
Fair point

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
Those were lines today at practice:
Thomas Vanek-Tim Connolly-Jason Pominville
Nathan Gerbe-Paul Gaustad-Brad Boyes
Cody McCormick-Rob Niedermayer-Drew Stafford
Mark Mancari-Derek Roy-Kaleta.

Kaleta in full cage. Grier, Ennis missing. Roy still a few weeks away from game-ready. Sekera, Morrisonn absent too.

Source: SabresEdge
Maybe Ennis is getting scratched and Grier got the day off for R&R?

I still think VCP needs to be broken up, but what can you do? Really not enough firepower in the lineup.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Maybe Ennis is getting scratched and Grier got the day off for R&R?

I still think VCP needs to be broken up, but what can you do? Really not enough firepower in the lineup.
He may be banged up as well. He took a few big hits yesterday.

I'm I the only one that gets excited when I see Roy is practicing on a line. Only to get depressed reading a few lines later that he is still a ways away.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

I'm I the only one that gets excited when I see Roy is practicing on a line. Only to get depressed reading a few lines later that he is still a ways away.
Even I got excited when I read that.

I don't think he's the answer, but he could at least help rephrase the question.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Layne Staley

I don't care how many excuses you give Miller, the first goal was very stoppable and him letting it in 4 minutes in then looking around like an idiot is a big reason we lost. Boucher made a great save on goose in front of the net that should have been a sure goal, while Miller gets excuse after excuse. He isn't a winner, if he was he would come up to the challenge and not let a career backup own him.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:05 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
I don't care how many excuses you give Miller, the first goal was very stoppable and him letting it in 4 minutes in then looking around like an idiot is a big reason we lost. Boucher made a great save on goose in front of the net that should have been a sure goal, while Miller gets excuse after excuse. He isn't a winner, if he was he would come up to the challenge and not let a career backup own him.
Yet he posted two shut outs in 3 games in must-win scenarios for the Sabres during the regular season. And he put up a shutout in game 1 of this series. What are you smoking?

Miller lives and dies by the guys who play in front of him, and our D has been atrocious as of late.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Fan-of-#9

With all the youth, scared and soft play on the team at the moment, it would be really nice to have Hecht in there.

Also, as an aside, isn't Leino basically a carbon-copy of Jochen? They play the exact same game IMO.

Unfortunately, we are outmatched folks. Man for man, it's not very close.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
With all the youth, scared and soft play on the team at the moment, it would be really nice to have Hecht in there.

Also, as an aside, isn't Leino basically a carbon-copy of Jochen? They play the exact same game IMO.

Unfortunately, we are outmatched folks. Man for man, it's not very close.
Yep, very similar games.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

Haha I had the same reaction.

Reading the lines I was like "**** YEAH ROY'S COMING BACK SOON!". Then I read the rest and thought "awwww...".

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Haha I had the same reaction.

Reading the lines I was like "**** YEAH ROY'S COMING BACK SOON!". Then I read the rest and thought "awwww...".
Knee injuries suck. They take a very long time. I don't expect him back at all this season, no matter how deep our run.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
ColonelForbin

They're really missing a veteran presence on defense.

Guys like Butler and Gragnani have stepped up admirably, but too many of the Flyer goals in this series have come from big defensive mistakes. Just look at the 2nd and 3rd goals Philly scored in game 3. They didn't even give Miller a chance on either of those. Leaving guys wide open and committing blatant turnovers.

They really need a guy like the 05-06' team had in McKee and Teppo, settling things down.

You can criticize Vanek all you want, but the fact is he has two goals in this series.

Too many other guys have been totally ineffective in the top-six. Pominville and Connolly haven't been able to produce in the playoffs two years in a row now. I expect much more from Ennis in the future, but he's showing his inexperience in this series. Their lack of center depth also contributed to Boyes playing out of position and messing with the chemistry of their second scoring line.

They need a more veteran presence on defense and they need to fix the center situation. I don't think those are surprises to anyone who follows the team.

Last edited by ColonelForbin: 04-19-2011 at 01:45 PM.
ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Layne Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Yet he posted two shut outs in 3 games in must-win scenarios for the Sabres during the regular season. And he put up a shutout in game 1 of this series. What are you smoking?

Miller lives and dies by the guys who play in front of him, and our D has been atrocious as of late.
Boucher doesn't have any trouble stopping tons of shots that we put on net. He also has let in half the goals Miller did in the same time frame... Miller is not a franchise goalie, and he hasn't been that good this series.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
I don't care how many excuses you give Miller, the first goal was very stoppable and him letting it in 4 minutes in then looking around like an idiot is a big reason we lost.
Go watch the puck deflect of Weber's stick when it's 10 feet in front of Miller and he's already set to make the save on the initial shot.

Then watch it again at full speed, not the slow motion replay.

If you still think that was "very stoppable", I think you might want to adjust your expectations.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Boucher doesn't have any trouble stopping tons of shots that we put on net. He also has let in half the goals Miller did in the same time frame... Miller is not a franchise goalie, and he hasn't been that good this series.
Again - go watch the highlights. The plays that the Flyers scored on are either deflections in front of Miller (#1), or defensive ****ups leaving guys all alone either right in the slot (Briere), or right next to the net (Zherdev).

We simply don't have guys in front of Boucher like that. Our forwards don't get in those positions, and when they do - the puck never makes it to them. Their forwards are better than ours at getting position to score, and their defense is better at keeping our shots to the outside and low percentage areas.

Unless we start capitalizing on some of those juicy Boucher rebounds, I expect more of the same tomorrow.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Boucher has also faced fewer high quality opportunities. Where's Vanek? Where's Pommer? Where's Ennis? Where's Connolly? You probably don't know, because they haven't produced many good opportunities.

Quote:
If that doesn't jump off the page as an emotional reaction, I don't know what does. So, proceeding on your logic, Miller has posted a shutout in Game 1 and was, at worst, to blame for one goal in Game 3--all this against one of the best offenses in the league--but that's not good enough for you?

The standard for Miller is absurdly high. People say, "I don't expect him to be Hasek," but their positions and actions suggest otherwise. This fanbase got completely spoiled by Dom.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:40 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Sabres Roy could be ready soon

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Roy-could-b...y-soon/9655121

Quote:
I had a chance to chat with Derek Roy after practice. I asked him since Jordan Leopold came back a week early, might he be about ready to come back. All the center did was smile at me, but didn't answer. My next question was, "If I say it's a possibility you may be back before the end of April is that accurate?" Roy said, "Yes, that would be accurate."
hmmm....

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
Too bad the Sabres don't look like they want to be playing hockey after April.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Too bad the Sabres don't look like they want to be playing hockey after April.

I interpret this as a return date of: "on the verge of elimination."

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
Game 7 is Tuesday, April 26. I think Roy is intimating that he could be ready for that game.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
If they make it to game 7 they're winning the series.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
That's partly the Philly D at work and partly the shot selection of our forwards.

The shots that Miller is facing are not the same as the shots Boucher is facing. The Philly D is doing a much better job than the Sabres D at limiting shot selection.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
They're really missing a veteran presence on defense.

Guys like Butler and Gragnani have stepped up admirably, but too many of the Flyer goals in this series have come from total defensive collapses. Just look at the 2nd and 3rd goals Philly scored in game 3. They didn't even give Miller a chance on either of those. Leaving guys wide open and committing blatant turnovers.

They really need a guy like the 05-06' team had in McKee and Teppo, settling things down.

You can criticize Vanek all you want, but the fact is he has two goals in this series.

Too many other guys have been totally ineffective in the top-six. Pominville and Connolly haven't been able to produce in the playoffs two years in a row now.
I expect much more from Ennis in the future, but he's showing his inexperience in this series. Their lack of center depth also contributed to Boyes playing out of position and messing with the chemistry of their second scoring line.

They need a more veteran presence on defense and they need to fix the center situation. I don't think those are surprises to anyone who follows the team.
Hold on a second.

1. Vanek, Connolly and Pommer have been terrible at ES in EVERY single game of this series.

2. All 3 have contributed on special teams. Vanek scored 2 PP goals in game 2, just as Connolly has been great on the PK (and has 1 PP assist) and Pommer has been solid on the PK and has 2 assists on the PP. But as I previously mentioned at ES they have sucked. Of the 3 only Connolly has an ES point. His "assist" on Gerbe's goal.

3. Pommer in the playoffs last year --> 6gms 2g 2a 4pts (all at ES). You may want him to do more but thats hardly what I would call 'not producing in the playoffs'. Whereas Connolly had 1pt in those 6gms.

The team is struggling right now for a variety of reasons. Our top line can;t do anything at ES, Our PP has been bad in games 1 and 3, our defense in general and Myers in particualr hasn;t been very good and finally Miller has been inconsistant. Strong in game 1, ok to meh in game 2 and solid if unspectacular in game 3.

I don't think anyone is singling Vanek out for the teams struggles. But his ES play (and his linemates play at ES) is part of the problem.