HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose a heartbreaker

Old
04-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
Not really a heart-breaker to me actually.

To me this was simply a lesson. The guys themselves said they messed around at the morning practice, were not focused, etc. It showed in the 1st which was a succession of errors due to a lack of concentration and bad execution. And Spacek was absolutely horrid.

They got their head in the good place late in the game and started dominating the Bruins, whom defensive system seems a whole lot more like all-out panic mode than the methodical way the Habs put them away in game 1 and 2. Habs had tons of quality chances, and not only from the perimeter (although funnily the 2 goals that went in were dumb perimeter goals that Thomas let in).

I see this game a whole lot more like a lesson and a reminder than a heart-breaker. You're not that good, you can't mess around for half the game and hope to come back in the end. Not in the play-offs against an opponent that was favored to win anyway. The way the game ended is good though because it means that it won't affect their confidence much. If they were beat 5-0, it would have been a big momentum changer. But the Bruins finished the game in panic-mode trying to cling to a 1-goal lead (which at least they did) while the Habs finished in force showing they're far from being as bad as what they showed earlier in the game.

I don't expect them to do the same mistake twice however, and I maintain my prediction of Habs in 6, which means that yes, they WILL possibly lose another one (which will be game 5 imo).

Better to learn this lesson in the first round when you're up 2-0 in the serie and still have as many games at home than your opponent than later on in the playoffs.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
HabsNation514

First two periods made me sick last night.

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
WestIslander

Montreal needs to win 2 games out of the next 4 and Boston needs to win 3 games out of the next 4, my money is on Montreal winning game #4 and game #5 to win the series in 5 games and move on to play Washington in the second round since Philadelphia and Pittsburgh should both win their respective series.

GO HABS GO!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Not really a heart-breaker to me actually.

To me this was simply a lesson. The guys themselves said they messed around at the morning practice, were not focused, etc. It showed in the 1st which was a succession of errors due to a lack of concentration and bad execution. And Spacek was absolutely horrid.

They got their head in the good place late in the game and started dominating the Bruins, whom defensive system seems a whole lot more like all-out panic mode than the methodical way the Habs put them away in game 1 and 2. Habs had tons of quality chances, and not only from the perimeter (although funnily the 2 goals that went in were dumb perimeter goals that Thomas let in).

I see this game a whole lot more like a lesson and a reminder than a heart-breaker. You're not that good, you can't mess around for half the game and hope to come back in the end. Not in the play-offs against an opponent that was favored to win anyway. The way the game ended is good though because it means that it won't affect their confidence much. If they were beat 5-0, it would have been a big momentum changer. But the Bruins finished the game in panic-mode trying to cling to a 1-goal lead (which at least they did) while the Habs finished in force showing they're far from being as bad as what they showed earlier in the game.

I don't expect them to do the same mistake twice however, and I maintain my prediction of Habs in 6, which means that yes, they WILL possibly lose another one (which will be game 5 imo).

Better to learn this lesson in the first round when you're up 2-0 in the serie and still have as many games at home than your opponent than later on in the playoffs.
I think you make a good point. The loss last night was the first regulation time loss since the Carolina game. I think there were lessons learned from that game and the team moved forward and clinched the division. Hopefully they take this game, reflect back momentarily, and get preprared for the rest of the series.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Thomas has always been a rebound machine. I never understand why other teams have troubles beating the Bruins this year.
I think the Habs' weakness at driving the net is what makes them so good against Thomas actually. Thomas is an incredible scrambler, he will stop point-blank shots really well (in a spectacular fashion too!) and close rebounds. Teams that try to shoot at the goalie and crash the net have a hard time beating him.

What he isn't so good at is perimeter play and long rebounds. He relies on his defensemen to clear these, and usually the guy driving the net is AT the net so he has a hard time getting these juicy rebounds to the side. But the Habs play perimeter hockey, and are going exactly for these long rebounds. And his lack of technique also makes it that if you shoot enough from the perimeter, sometimes it will somehow go through him because he's not perfectly tight when holding still.

What he's good at is making spectacular saves when he sees the puck and has to move to stop it because he has crazy reflexes. And the Bruins heavy defense is good at letting him see the puck. But perimeter shot where all you have to do is stand still and protect the net, he often has a small crack somewhere. And he gives long rebounds off perimeter shots too to the OTHER side, which is ridiculously bad if your D doesn't manage to cover for it (and Montreal's speedy forward can exploit that).

It's just a case of 'style makes fight'. Thomas' strengths are not good against Montreal's. The fact that we rely on speed, skill and perimeter play instead of being heavy and crashing the net makes Thomas and the whole Bruins defense look bad more often than not, because that's what they're designed to stop.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:45 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

I found Montreal the better team tonight and that's with missing our top line winger and our #1 and #3 defenseman. Montreal had a sloppy first, we came out and thought the Bruins were gonna roll over and they didn't. They went into the break and came back out playing their game and the Bruins after that mustered one maybe two chances? I Think the Habs will win this series in 6 and I've been sticking to that for a while now

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Uh-oh. Boston is healthy and have three nights to rest...

Do you think that plays a factor in Montreal's game plan, or do they approach the game in the same manner as before?
Why would they change anything? The record between these 2 teams since JM as been the coach the past 2 years speaks for itself..

If I was a betting man and a Habs fan started a post with "Uh-oh" on the Bruins board after game 2 he would have been thread banned or banned from the Bruins board for trolling..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Listening to the radio call-ins.

I'm shutting it off...

Would people just shut up with the defeatist talk!

That is all.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
TheNextOneX

Should have let Yannick Weber played

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I don't think that was the case at all, the puck that Carey attempted to clear got redirected off Dr Recchi. He was coasting in and the puck hit him and went directly into Peverleys paraphernalia(Danny Gallivan reference). It was a fluke, Carey Price is a goalie and a third dman, he has killed so much penalty time for us all year with that exact play, they were lucky last night and thats all. It will be different on thursday.
Price was near flawless in the first 2 games, but Peverley's goal last night was a major league brain cramp. He made a pass up the middle with 3 Bruins in the vicinity and needing to get the puck through 2 of them for success. Price's recovery on the play was poor as well, he could have got back to position to save his own bacon but he was inexplicably non chalent in getting back.

This is of course the downside to Price's puck handling tendencies, a skill which definitely has improved this past year but which was just being operated by a brain that wasn't in the right gear at times last night.

He also looked loosey goosey on the second goal which was a strange play that he would have definitely played differently in game 1 or 2.
Let's hope for a quick recovery for Price, having said that I bet Bruins fans are hoping the same for Thomas who has been the inferior netminder so far.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Relax ladies, Boston will never get goals like they did on this night. A goal from behind the net and gimme from Price, I'm not worried, Montreal was the better team tonight despite the loss.

The Habs weren't going to sweep the Bruins. Win game four and all is well!
either team can get lucky bounces, and it was the bruins who got them all last night. the habs completely dominated the second half of the game and after a while it became obvious that we just weren't gonna score no matter what.

we need to finish some of those point blank chances in game 4. no excuses to miss all those.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Welcome to the playoffs.

Huge highs.

Huge lows.

Everything is magnified.

15 teams will ultimately be disappointed.

No team goes 16 - 0

Relax and chill.

Montreal will play better... not worse.

But.. but.. my beer league team went 7-0 on our way to a championship this winter... Habs stink!

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
MerK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Listening to the radio call-ins.

I'm shutting it off...

Would people just shut up with the defeatist talk!

That is all.

Everyone ready to call it a series eh?

I was fully expecting this loss for some reason.

Both the habs and the B's seem to be uneffected by playing on the road, so while the Bell Centre may be rocking, the home ice advantage just doesn't ring all that relevant in this series. That's not to say that the Habs can't win at home, I just don't expect Wins in Mtl anymore than I do in Bos.

Regardless, can't wait for Wednesday night as I think there should be a great redemption game.

MerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
Should have let Yannick Weber played
Next game.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Lol at us being so uncomfortable having a lead in a series. I predicted the habs in 5, and somehow I'm mad and disappointed they lost ONE game. I agree next game is important, but the fact is every frickin game is important in the playoffs. That's why I have trouble with those saying "the winner of game 3 wins the series"...wtf??

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
TimmyVezina

Don't get me wrong, Montreal was the more desperate team in the 3rd period(being down 2 goals) but lets not confuse what you guys did in games 1 and 2, when you were trying to hang on to a lead and Boston was all over the Montreal zone, with what we saw last night. Boston played the road team in the 3rd. Get the puck out, don't send 2 men in deep and don't allow rebounds. Winning the "next game easily" is saying that you're the superior team. I would hope that the home team that is down 3-0 would step their game up. Montreal showed that they can turn it up a notch. If Montreal can get the first goal on Thursday....it might be a different story.

TimmyVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
BLONG7

This was like a game 7 to Boston, and in the first two periods, they were the better team...move along to game 4 and see who comes out flying this time...early goals seem to be the key!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Universe
Eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtsJcv2p58g

Has to be the dumbest announcers in the NHL. You can kinda see why the Bruins hate us when they have to listen to that every game.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtsJcv2p58g

Has to be the dumbest announcers in the NHL. You can kinda see why the Bruins hate us when they have to listen to that every game.
Jack Edwards is the most homer announcer in the league bar none. He also said in an interview last week on the radio that the Bruins were the best team in the league 5v5. The guy must not have seen a single game in the West not involving the Bruins this season.

And what he says is ENTIRELY different when, say, Lucic jumps in as a third man and cross-checks somebody in the head. That's not gutless at all.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

A bad start and a few bad bounces early sunk them. They made it a game and were competitive till the end. They can bounce back tomorrow.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
A bad start and a few bad bounces early sunk them. They made it a game and were competitive till the end. They can bounce back tomorrow.
Exactly in fact I'm pretty confident for next game , Habs once again showed that they can outplay the Bruins for a good part of a game.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Andy

Everyone is too cocky, fans and the team included.

Poor effort at the begining and it cost them.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Universe
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Jack Edwards is the most homer announcer in the league bar none. He also said in an interview last week on the radio that the Bruins were the best team in the league 5v5. The guy must not have seen a single game in the West not involving the Bruins this season.

And what he says is ENTIRELY different when, say, Lucic jumps in as a third man and cross-checks somebody in the head. That's not gutless at all.
- Announcer says "spectacular miss"
- Announcer says "Ference is gonna rip his head off"
- Announcer says "Greatest dissapointment in NHL history"
- Announcer says "Ference gets the take down, no surprise"
- Announcer says "There was no penalty to be called on this play, that is the amazing thing"
- Announcer says "It must be a home game"
- Announcer says "There was no arm up after the hit"

I've honestly never seen so much fail in 1:43 of youtube video.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Was easy to figure out last night was going to be a loss...I said it in the GDT, too many trends were pointing towards a Bruins win. It was to be expected.

Nevertheless...apart from the 1st period, I liked what I saw from the Habs. They didn't seem as disjointed as the Bruins were when they were down at home. So I think that bodes well for Thursday and I don't think the Bruins are going to take 2 straight IN Montreal.

Thomas made some huge saves in the 3rd but I still think his confidence is extremely shaky against the Habs.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Everyone is too cocky, fans and the team included.

Poor effort at the begining and it cost them.
I don't think the team was too cocky. I think they were a bit loose, which is natural, but it's clear that the game was a lot more important to the Bruins than the Habs. And that's not to say the Habs should take things more seriously, but when you have two evenly matched teams (and they are) and one has its back against the wall they're gonna come out swinging.

Still, I'm not worried. Partly because I never expected a short series and partly because even if they lost, it's not like the Bruins 'solved' them like Philly has in the past. Last night could have gone either way. A couple of stinkers by both goalies, near misses on both sides... If that's what we can expect from the rest of the series, it's nice going into it with a 2-1 lead.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote