HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQ Game 4 | 4-19-2011 | 7:00 CSN/VS/CBC/RDS | Chicago Blackhawks v Vancouver Canucks

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Hasek was insane in the last game of the 92 SCF after Keenan pulled Belfour. It's too bad they traded him. It's not like we didn't know he could be really special.
He made some spectacular saves in that game but also gave up a few goals too. The guy had raw talent but at 27 years old (IIRC); it was Thomas like that he became what he was. The fact that the return was so weak (although by the grace of God we got lucky with Daze on that 5th) shows he wasn't regarded too highly by the league.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 500
Crawford has been solid this series. No one can blame him for the rest of the team sucking.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:44 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
Crawford has been solid this series. No one can blame him for the rest of the team sucking.
apparently, there's at least 2 people here that think otherwise.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Pretty hilarious. Crawford has like 2-3 meh periods after dragging us here kicking and screaming and people want to turn on him. I know its easier to blame crawford because this is his first full time run with the team, but Sharp/Toews/Hossa/Kane/Keith deserve the blame here. Ya know, the guys taking up ~27mil in cap space that are -2, -3, -3, 0, -4 respectively with 1 ES point combined.
You know...Crawford's numbers in the playoffs are worse than Turco's were in the regular season? And that doesn't even bring up the unusual amount of posts that have saved him.

I'm not turning on him. He isn't on his game now and it's do or die desperation time. I thought giving Turco a chance to spark the team was worth a shot. What's the worst thing that can happen....?

None of this takes away that he had a nice rookie year.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Hasek was insane in the last game of the 92 SCF after Keenan pulled Belfour. It's too bad they traded him. It's not like we didn't know he could be really special.
Hasek was flaky and an unknown who gave up some pretty terrible goals as a Hawks (Game vs Ranger in 92 Doug Weight weak backhander from along boards went thru Hasek's 5 hole , If my memory is accurate)

No one thought he would become what he was

Hawks had Belfour who was Vezina winner + Before finals he had a strong playoff including 11 straight wins.

There was also still some hope that Jimmy Waite would finally put it together

Old
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
MadHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
apparently, there's at least 2 people here that think otherwise.
Never said Crawford's the reason why we're knocked out in the first round. I just think that he needs a break, and Turco is PO experianced, so it adds up for his badness.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
coldsteelonice84

Exactly. In the training camp following the Cup run, Hasek was downright awful. He came in out of shape and looked like he'd be out of the league soon after. He got traded to Buffalo and had a poor season with them. It's not like that Hawks didn't know what they were doing at the time.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Exactly. In the training camp following the Cup run, Hasek was downright awful. He came in out of shape and looked like he'd be out of the league soon after. He got traded to Buffalo and had a poor season with them. It's not like that Hawks didn't know what they were doing at the time.
Hasek was traded before the 92 training camp (We sent him away in August)

And Hasek was never out of shape ,, He is a health nut

The main problem coaches/management had with him was his style and poor technique (Of course Hasek is probably the only flopper to ever have bigtime success in NHL so he was a unique talent)

Old
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpz View Post
Never said Crawford's the reason why we're knocked out in the first round. I just think that he needs a break, and Turco is PO experianced, so it adds up for his badness.
Turco isn't what he used to be, so I wouldn't reference anything positive he's done in the past. He's a great guy and it's not his fault his body gave up on him. Crawford will have the whole offseason to take a break so put him back in there and see what he does.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hasek was traded before the 92 training camp (We sent him away in August)

And Hasek was never out of shape ,, He is a health nut

The main problem coaches/management had with him was his style and poor technique (Of course Hasek is probably the only flopper to ever have bigtime success in NHL so he was a unique talent)
Maybe not training camp, but the Hawks brought their backup goalies in early that year to figure out who was gonna get the job and Hasek crapped all over himself.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
You know...Crawford's numbers in the playoffs are worse than Turco's were in the regular season? And that doesn't even bring up the unusual amount of posts that have saved him.

I'm not turning on him. He isn't on his game now and it's do or die desperation time. I thought giving Turco a chance to spark the team was worth a shot. What's the worst thing that can happen....?

I know what crawford's numbers are, but did you honestly expect his numbers to be good with how poorly the team has played against a very very good team?

If we are just going to wave the white flag then Turco should be put in.

Last edited by madgoat33: 04-19-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe not training camp, but the Hawks brought their backup goalies in early that year to figure out who was gonna get the job and Hasek crapped all over himself.
No the Hawks planned to move one of the goalies later in summer after protecting all 3 in the expansion draft (Hawks used the rather weak draft rules to expose Ray Leblanc to be claimed and protected Belfour/Hasek/Waite)

The Hawks only played Leblanc 1 game in 91-92 so that they could expose him in expansion draft (Alot of teams did that)

That is why 93 expansion draft had much more strict rules

Old
04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

This would make sense since Turco didn't play Vancouver every single game in the regular season. You think Turco's numbers would be a little worse if that was the case?

Old
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
This would make sense since Turco didn't play Vancouver every single game in the regular season. You think Turco's numbers would be a little worse if that was the case?
Take a look at Turco's numbers vs. Vancouver this year and you'll find your answer.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Hasek was flaky and an unknown who gave up some pretty terrible goals as a Hawks (Game vs Ranger in 92 Doug Weight weak backhander from along boards went thru Hasek's 5 hole , If my memory is accurate)

No one thought he would become what he was

Hawks had Belfour who was Vezina winner + Before finals he had a strong playoff including 11 straight wins.

There was also still some hope that Jimmy Waite would finally put it together
I'll grant you that nobody would have predicted he might become one of the best goalies ever. That's something you can't predict about any goaltender.

You're wrong in saying nobody knew who he was. The guy was heralded as the best goaltender in Europe and the Hawks had drafted a good 7 years before he ever donned the indianhead. Were you even old enough to remember that far back in to the 80's?

Old
04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Sarava

Quote:
He made some spectacular saves in that game but also gave up a few goals too. The guy had raw talent but at 27 years old (IIRC); it was Thomas like that he became what he was. The fact that the return was so weak (although by the grace of God we got lucky with Daze on that 5th) shows he wasn't regarded too highly by the league.
You know this was 19 years ago and I never saw a replay of the game. My memory was of the Hawks desperately pinching in an effort to save the season, and giving up 2 on 1's or breakaways literally over and over, and him stopping most of them.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'll grant you that nobody would have predicted he might become one of the best goalies ever. That's something you can't predict about any goaltender.

You're wrong in saying nobody knew who he was. The guy was heralded as the best goaltender in Europe and the Hawks had drafted a good 7 years before he ever donned the indianhead. Were you even old enough to remember that far back in to the 80's?
He was drafted with belief he would never cross. It was a pick made with no real planning for future. Teams went looking for rights of players with late round picks incase someday they had a Statsny situation develop

Being best in Europe at time meant very little.

Belfour was best in North America in 91 and led the Hawks to finals in 92 and was a fan favorite.

It was pretty clear Hasek was gonna be odd man out given Belfour's success and Waite's youth and cost (We wasted a high 1st round pick on him)

Old
04-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Sarava

Quote:
He was drafted with belief he would never cross. It was a pick made with no real planning for future. Teams went looking for rights of players with late round picks incase someday they had a Statsny situation develop

Being best in Europe at time meant very little.

Belfour was best in North America in 91 and led the Hawks to finals in 92 and was a fan favorite.

It was pretty clear Hasek was gonna be odd man out given Belfour's success and Waite's youth and cost (We wasted a high 1st round pick on him)
That's why he went in the 10th round...most of those guys never made it here. I recall hearing about how great he was or could be with the Hawks for MANY years before he came here.

I agree that Eddie was planted in as starter and that's ultimately why he had to go. I'm just saying that you're wrong in thinking his success in Buffalo came out of nowhere. It didn't.

I remember after game 4 in 92 thinking, jesus why is Belfour starting over this guy? Again my memory probably has been skewed again over a game I haven't watched in 19 years, but I don't recall ever being so impressed with a goaltender in a single game.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Illinihockey

First scrum tonight, refs are kicking Scott out of the game.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Sarava

Oh look what I found

Old
04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

1. I love Hasek

2. He is still playing, is rumord to leave his club in KHL. We should sign him to mentor Salak

3. hope Salak will be a guy like Hasek (ok, not as good as him but a great goalie)

Old
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
ChiHawk21

Anyone know what the rosters accually going to look like?

Is seabs out, Is bolland in? Is exalby and cullamore in? whats the damage?

Old
04-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post

Scott is gonna be playing D it looks like ,, That should tell you the damage

Old
04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
backcheck42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post

Seabrook's out. Bolland's in.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...hawks-seabrook

Old
04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
MadHouse

I scored with Scott earlier today playing NHL '11.

ITS A SIGN!

Closed Thread