HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NBC/VS WIN new NHL TV Deal: $200MM/yr x 10 yrs, Exclusive Rights

Old
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
Regarding ESPN's history of the treatment of the NHL:It appears ESPN offered a game of the week on the Deuce. NBC and Versus offered a bit more coverage and a bit more money.Ahh, but right now, the NHL is receiving the highest ratings ever on cable. So I think whether or not the NHL is available in more homes doesn't necessarily translate into higher ratings.Part of the reason NBC/Versus paid so much was because of exclusivity. The NHL would have had to take much less than $200 million per year if they allowed ESPN a game.But it appears you don't like it much, figuring something was left on the table.
Correct this is my position.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Mwd711

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
There's a few markets though where it's Comcast Sports Net anyways. A few of them big: Philly, Washington, Chicago, San Jose.

These 77 games, they include the ones that they picked up near the end of the season during the rest fo the week, right?
Yes that includes the "bonus" games. Those games really killed Versus ratings for the season. I'm sure that's why they wanted all of them as exclusive. Their CSN's will take a hit but the national ratings will rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Yes. Was 50 exclusive + 27 bonus games. Now 90 exclusive + ?? bonus.
I don't believe the new deal includes "bonus" games. I don't think they want them because it hurts their ratings. The NHL Network can take that role. There won't be many days that a game won't be nationally televised if you include NHL Network. My rough estimate has a nationally shown game four or five days a week assuming NHL network continues to expand it's coverage.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
So with 100 exclusive games, we can pretty much count on more Western Conference exposure.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I support this surprisingly. Why? Because its something. It is a decent contract that gets games on the TV. I'm just against all this ESPN is gonna treat us like crap stuff this, when the stake are much different.

What specifically about the current situation makes you think that ESPN would've treated the NHL much differently than it did before?

I also don't understand what exactly you think was "left on the table" in this new deal? What more did you think they could've/should've gotten?

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
So with 100 exclusive games, we can pretty much count on more Western Conference exposure.
LA, Detroit, Chicago. Not much else probably.

same as in the east: Philly, New York, Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
MountainHawk

SJ might get some love too, especially if they end up having an exclusive doubleheader night.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 133
I had initially wanted to get at least some buy-in from ESPN (say 1 game/week) with NBC/Versus retaining the lion's share of the coverage. I think if ESPN added even a modest amount of hockey to their coverage, it'd translate into more hockey exposure to the broader market.

However, upon seeing these terms, it makes sense. Comcast is signalling their intent to build a serious competitor to ESPN, and they've chosen to monopolize hockey coverage as the lynchpin to that effort. Hopefully their future endeavors to compete will be far more serious than their opening act, which was The Daily Line. That show was ridiculously terrible, and they've already shifted the only saving grace of that show (Liam McHugh) into their hockey coverage.

Versus needs to transition away from the vestiges of OLN (Hunting/fishing shows) and more into... something that can compete with ESPN. As much as I love hockey, Versus (err... NBC Sports) will need to provide much more if they expect to take on ESPN. Look for NBC to get much more active in the following years as far as acquiring sports coverage.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:22 PM
danishh

just saw this:
Quote:
NBC/Versus will also get online streaming rights to all its games.
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-nbcversus-1/1

i assume this means selected live streams, and probably reselling a portion to yahoo.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I had initially wanted to get at least some buy-in from ESPN (say 1 game/week) with NBC/Versus retaining the lion's share of the coverage. I think if ESPN added even a modest amount of hockey to their coverage, it'd translate into more hockey exposure to the broader market.

However, upon seeing these terms, it makes sense. Comcast is signalling their intent to build a serious competitor to ESPN, and they've chosen to monopolize hockey coverage as the lynchpin to that effort. Hopefully their future endeavors to compete will be far more serious than their opening act, which was The Daily Line. That show was ridiculously terrible, and they've already shifted the only saving grace of that show (Liam McHugh) into their hockey coverage.

Versus needs to transition away from the vestiges of OLN (Hunting/fishing shows) and more into... something that can compete with ESPN. As much as I love hockey, Versus (err... NBC Sports) will need to provide much more if they expect to take on ESPN. Look for NBC to get much more active in the following years as far as acquiring sports coverage.
NBC already has the rights to many of the world championships for Olympic sports for Universal Sports, so I can imagine a lot of those being used to fill in time on "NBC Sports" as well. I'd be surprised if NBC looks to get back in the game for any of the other big three, except maybe baseball.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
just saw this:

i assume this means selected live streams, and probably reselling a portion to yahoo.
I assume it means that they can stream the games they broadcast, like NBC currently does and CBC does in Canada.

The last deal Comcast got blanket streaming (they first did it on their own for their internet subscribers and then subbed it out to Yahoo). That though was before the league made their own digital push. I'm going to guess that is gone.

That said even if it is restricted to their games, they are getting all the playoff games. That will probably mean that all the playoffs games will be available in the US online. That is handy if you want to watch multiple games.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
NBC already has the rights to many of the world championships for Olympic sports for Universal Sports, so I can imagine a lot of those being used to fill in time on "NBC Sports" as well. I'd be surprised if NBC looks to get back in the game for any of the other big three, except maybe baseball.
I think they will certainly try and go after Baseball. They are going to need some summer programming. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if they kicked the tires some with MLS, which comparatively wouldn't be that expensive. There were reports of Versus being in talks with MLS for the Fox Soccer package this past year, but I'm going to guess that couldn't get done in part because of the timing of the merger. MLS only signed a 1-year extension with Fox Soccer for about 6 million.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
JMUcapsfan07

I'm still struggling to understand why the NHL seems to be the only sports league that can't get a TV deal with multiple cable partners.

The NBC deal looks good, but why couldn't ESPN have picked up a game a week or something like that? Is that something that NBC, ESPN, NHL, or a combination of those stopped from happening?

JMUcapsfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
MountainHawk

Do you really think ESPN would pay enough for 1 game a week to offset what the NBC offer would drop off for the loss of exclusivity?

There is a reason that EA Sports has exclusive rights to make video games, DirecTV has exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, etc. It makes the rights holders more money to sell exclusive rights.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
I dont have time to read through this entire thread, but is there any info on VS.'s efforts on becoming a mainstay for every cable provider? I still don't get it on Dish.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
just saw this:

I just want to be able to watch Versus games online legally.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hockeystatic X View Post
I dont have time to read through this entire thread, but is there any info on VS.'s efforts on becoming a mainstay for every cable provider? I still don't get it on Dish.
My understanding was that Dish has no interest in adding Versus to the standard tiers.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
USD $120,000,000.00 (1999) = USD $160,960,624.25 in 2011 dollars

------------------ = 24.3% increase / 12 yrs = 2.02% real annual increase

When you account for inflation it's still decent, but not incredible.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
My understanding was that Dish has no interest in adding Versus to the standard tiers.
Makes sense, that company is run by a bunch of **********.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
MountainHawk

I figure they have conceded the hard core sports fans to DirecTV, and focus their marketing towards other. Sunday Ticket exclusivity is massive for DirecTV.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:38 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 595
Where is NBC Universal Sports included in the NBC family? That's their online streaming service that is also broadcast as a subchannesl on OTA TV. I hope NBC does NOT broadcast that channel. The picture on channel 2.2 out of Buffalo looks like a crummy internet video stream.

knorthern knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:41 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Where is NBC Universal Sports included in the NBC family? That's their online streaming service that is also broadcast as a subchannesl on OTA TV. I hope NBC does NOT broadcast that channel. The picture on channel 2.2 out of Buffalo looks like a crummy internet video stream.
It depends on where you are. DirecTV had it on a test basis a year or so ago and it was in HD and pretty sharp.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post
I'm still struggling to understand why the NHL seems to be the only sports league that can't get a TV deal with multiple cable partners.

The NBC deal looks good, but why couldn't ESPN have picked up a game a week or something like that? Is that something that NBC, ESPN, NHL, or a combination of those stopped from happening?
That is what I cannot understand, they could have easily given ESPN deal for that one game a week on ESPN along with NBC/Versus. Unless another NBC Universal like USA Network is allowed to broadcast games occasionally, then it just seems like the NHL is just contempt with being 4th major sport in the US.

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Trizent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
That is what I cannot understand, they could have easily given ESPN deal for that one game a week on ESPN along with NBC/Versus. Unless another NBC Universal like USA Network is allowed to broadcast games occasionally, then it just seems like the NHL is just contempt with being 4th major sport in the US.
Only problem is NBC/Comcast don't want to share it with ESPN, so no they couldn't have done that. You are right now NHL would have loved that.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
just saw this:

You missed my earlier post. Also why I think the additional $120MM/yr is insufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Nevertheless, the NHL gives all digital media rights to NBC/VS for the games they cover. In the short term, I think that will actually limit viewing for fans as they have to find NBC-owned platforms to watch the games, especially the playoff ones.

I'm not very happy that they've given away this much of the playoffs over for a ten year deal. I think they would have done better by not going exclusive and trying to expand to platforms that the younger generation of fans will be viewing. TV is a dying medium, imo, in the sense of the captured "broadcast + audience" model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
I assume it means that they can stream the games they broadcast, like NBC currently does and CBC does in Canada.

The last deal Comcast got blanket streaming (they first did it on their own for their internet subscribers and then subbed it out to Yahoo). That though was before the league made their own digital push. I'm going to guess that is gone.

That said even if it is restricted to their games, they are getting all the playoff games. That will probably mean that all the playoffs games will be available in the US online. That is handy if you want to watch multiple games.
Why include all the digital media rights on all platforms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Only problem is NBC/Comcast don't want to share it with ESPN, so no they couldn't have done that. You are right now NHL would have loved that.
Well, sure. No one ever wants to share, but is it in the NHL's interest to let someone else decide that, or would they better off expanding their broadcaster base?

CBC and TSN "share" Canada. What is the rule that says you have to give everything to just one network?

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonFan View Post
You really don't understand how this all affects me, or any other Hamiltonian? Well, I'll give you the abbreviated version here.

If I want to watch a live NHL game, I have to drive an hour to toronto, pay $25 to park, then a minimum of $500 bucks for a pair of lower bowl seats in the ACC, or much more than that if I want to go to a saturday game. One of the reasons these tickets are so expensive is simple supply and demand. With the Leafs being the only team in the biggest hockey market in the world, demand greatly exceeds supply. So perhaps you can see one reason why bettman/BOG's refusal to put another team here pisses me off just a tad. They can't put another team here because they have to keep money bleeders in the south, in order to maintain the national TV footprint, to obtain a joke of a TV contract such as the one they just got.
Another reason for the expensive tickets is revenue sharing. I did a calculation a while back that suggests that $50 bucks of a $500 pair of tickets is a direct result of revenue sharing in toronto. I'm paying $50 bucks of my hard earned money every time I go to a leaf game to support the southern franchises and the elusive quest for the mythical national telivision contract, which is clearly never coming. Meanwhile, fans in the south get to see nhl hockey for $10 bucks for a pair of tickets in a half empty arena, so they can sit where they choose after paying their $10 bucks. Tampa bay had 2010-11 season tickets for all 41 games for a total of $260. That's just over $5 bucks per seat, per game.
So the NHL should ignore the biggest entertainment market in the world so it can provide cheaper pro hockey for Hamiltonians?

Canadians need to quit with the "Canadian attendance is the only improtant revenue stream in the NHL" reality.

With each passing day the the league is moving to a content driven revenue model where providing the most content via different chanels to the most eyeballs will drive cashflow.

The importance of having maximized attendance in buildings is becoming less and less important

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote