HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Crazy Hypothetical question of the day (Karlsson as a forward)

Old
04-19-2011, 12:38 AM
BigEyedPhish

vCash: 500
Crazy Hypothetical question of the day (Karlsson as a forward)

(Before you read, just take my word I have all the confidence in the world in Karlsson as a D-man)..

If Rundblad pans out as "The next Karlsson, but Bigger" and Cowen actually shows good potential offensively, AND Wiercioch pans out as a decent puck mover... (Yes I said Hypothetical)

Do you think we should try Karlsson out as a forward?

This kid reminds me of Alfredsson to a key, the only difference is their positons, obviously Karlsson is D, and Alfy is a winger, but what if we had a replacement for Alfredsson in the last place we looked (on our team and quarterbacking a powerplay he is on..

Obviously we all know Karlsson's offensive awareness is otherworldly... And yes, he has taken flack for maybe not being the best defensive player in the world ()..

But.. would it not be interesting to see what this speedy little trickster could do as a winger for Spezza.. (I am sure his history as a d-man would carry over to create a defensively responsible winger).

This also.. does NOT mean he couldn't take the point on a powerplay.

Last edited by BigEyedPhish: 04-19-2011 at 12:55 AM.
BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:44 AM
N Bahn Ahden

I agree that it would be fun to see (in practise or an exhibition game, just strictly for fun and curiosity). But no, I don't think it's a serious consideration. In my opinion he'll always be more valuable as a defenseman, even if he proved himself to be a capable winger as well.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:50 AM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
I agree that it would be fun to see (in practise or an exhibition game, just strictly for fun and curiosity). But no, I don't think it's a serious consideration. In my opinion he'll always be more valuable as a defenseman, even if he proved himself to be a capable winger as well.
What if his defense is always lacking? and could most likely score more points as a forward?

as of right now if all our defensive prospects reach their potential (this is without Karlsson as as defensemen)...

Cowen - Lee
Rundblad - Wiercioch
(Defensive height average WAY over 6'00" tall...)

Is still a very and above average solid top 6..

On the forward side you cannot say the same.. which is why I begged to ask this question.

I realize to us...at...the..moment.. Karlsson is more valuable as a d-man, but if we have 2-3 other D-men who are near as valuable (And mind you Karlsson can still play D on the PP, Alfy did it quite alot..) ....

Old
04-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Manny*

It would be a crazy hypothetical question if it hadn't been discussed at least a dozen times already.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:40 AM
PKC*

My only question to this is: why?

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:43 AM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
My only question to this is: why?
why, not?

Also, "Why" is the question to just about everything..

Old
04-19-2011, 01:48 AM
BigEyedPhish

This might yet turn into the "Lighten Up" thread these boards probably need.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Ishdul

This is always a (terrible) discussion point with any gifted young offensive D-man who isn't immediately up for Norris discussions. The skills of an offensive defenseman are different from those of a forward. A good point shot isn't going to be used as much as a forward, the ability to carry the puck wouldn't matter as much, being good at holding pucks in at the point is now a near worthless talent and you're not going to get as many first-pass-out-the-zone opportunities. On the flipside, we don't know how Karlsson would do as a net presence, whether he'd be a good forechecker or not, how good his backhand is, how he would do on faceoffs, etc.

And that doesn't take into account the silliness of acting like Karlsson is nightmarish defensively with no opportunity of improving. Change of positions is what you do for either guys who are completely ambiguous in position (not Karlsson) or someone who is such a write-off as a player that you have nothing to lose by changing their position (really not Karlsson).

Also, Rundblad doesn't play a thing like Karlsson. Besides being young Swedish offensive D-men they don't have much of anything in common. Rundblad succeeding here would not render anything Karlsson does as redundant.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:37 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
why, not?

Also, "Why" is the question to just about everything..
Why not? Because Karlsson plays defence, he's played that position for several years. He understands the position and excels at it. He even fills a hard to find role, the elusive puck moving defensman with ability to score from the backend. He's got the potential to be a Norris caliber dman - he's already an allstar.

He'd most certainly be worse as a forward and he'd have to learn the role (it's not a video game). It would be absurd to move him away from his natural position even if the other 3 mentioned all pan out to best case scenario.

What would be the problem with having 4 very good, or better, dmen? Most teams would kill for that scenario. It's just a stupid idea.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Bob Kudelski

Why?
No.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:48 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Yeah, the "Karlsson as a forward" argument seems silly to me. Why would you, on a team that is already not terribly dominant at the moment (), even think of risking the development of the one guy on the team that seems like he's the real deal by changing his position, that he is already pretty good at?

If you're worried about his defensive game, don't you think it would be easier to teach him how to be more positionally sound and better at the nuances of playing in his own zone, than to teach him an entirely new position alltogether? And I know the OP said he has no doubts about EK's defensive game, this is just in response to other criticisms I've heard on Karlsson as a justification to moving him up to play wing.

Also: why is it that every time I listen to the postgame shows on team1200, does someone inevitably ALWAYS call in with this question? Is it the same guy calling in every week fishing for a different answer, or is there actually a large contingent of Sens fan that want to see "Erik Karlsson: Mediocre Right Winger"?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Sensfanman

*Imagines Karlsson forechecking Chara and bouncing off harmlessly*

There's more to forwards than scoring just like there's more to defense than blocking shots or hitting. Karlsson is a wizard when he can skate with the puck on his stick and he gets 25 minutes a game to do that on defense with all the chance to run a player by skating or passing or using his bomb of a shot. As a forward, he'd have less time and space to make his moves.

Terrible, terrible idea.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Laoghaire

Note that Alfredsson did play D until he was 20. So, I don't think it's all that far fetched. But it's not going to happen.

Laoghaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
kyle747

No.
Just no.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Ceekay

Didn't we burn both the thread and the OP to the ground the last time this came up?

In short, this is a terrible idea for many, many reasons.

Ceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:04 AM
sinkhole
Who's the Boom King?

No you don't. IF everyone else developed to their full potential you'd trade Karlsson to get that scoring forward.

sinkhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
HappyDude
Classless

this is a stupid question that has been discussed dozens of times already. His stick is too long. End of Story.

HappyDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Why would you take an NHL'er that is in the top 5 of seeing the ice at 200 feet and turn him into a small forward when his weakness is battling in the corners?

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

To everyone saying no, or it's impossible...

Dustin Byfuglien says Hi!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:41 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
This is always a (terrible) discussion point with any gifted young offensive D-man who isn't immediately up for Norris discussions. The skills of an offensive defenseman are different from those of a forward. A good point shot isn't going to be used as much as a forward, the ability to carry the puck wouldn't matter as much, being good at holding pucks in at the point is now a near worthless talent and you're not going to get as many first-pass-out-the-zone opportunities. On the flipside, we don't know how Karlsson would do as a net presence, whether he'd be a good forechecker or not, how good his backhand is, how he would do on faceoffs, etc.

And that doesn't take into account the silliness of acting like Karlsson is nightmarish defensively with no opportunity of improving. Change of positions is what you do for either guys who are completely ambiguous in position (not Karlsson) or someone who is such a write-off as a player that you have nothing to lose by changing their position (really not Karlsson).

Also, Rundblad doesn't play a thing like Karlsson. Besides being young Swedish offensive D-men they don't have much of anything in common. Rundblad succeeding here would not render anything Karlsson does as redundant.
Tremendous post.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Rumcajs

Too small, could get hurt easily on the boards trying to get into the corners. With that being said, ive seen him in the corners but his body is not used to the constant blows being given etc

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
SenatorsHockey
Sweet hockey body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
To everyone saying no, or it's impossible...

Dustin Byfuglien says Hi!
Bad comparison..real bad.

Dustin Byfuglien is 6'5, 265 lbs and therefore he is able to play a very physical game, there's no pushing him around (ask Vancouver).

On the other hand, EK is 5'11, 165 lbs... if he was to make a successful transition to the forward position, he sure wouldn't be anything like Buff, he would have to be very cerebral and he would have to use his speed.

SenatorsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceekay View Post
Didn't we burn both the thread and the OP to the ground the last time this came up?

In short, this is a terrible idea for many, many reasons.
Memories....

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
What if he turned into Pavel Bure

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29369929

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote