HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Unimpressed with netflix canada - other sites out there for streaming?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
  #1
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
Unimpressed with netflix canada - other sites out there for streaming?

We are ready to cancel our shaw, and took a look at netflix.. the interface and ease of it all seems very good and simple, however the selection is lacking imo, and much of the stuff we like to watch is nowhere to be found...

what are some other sites (if any), that will stream movies/tv shows to you that are legal (have all their rights in place), have a solid selection

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
  #2
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
http://www.playon.tv/playon =$20 a year
|
--->http://www.playonscripts.com/
|
---->http://www.playonscripts.com/?w=view&id=140

Then get a sub for http://www.megavideo.com/ at $15 a month.

Stream all the HD shows you want. (Pending your cap)

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:37 PM
  #3
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 181,225
vCash: 500
There are other free sites that offer quality streams without paying a dime.

I watch megavideo occasionally and don't pay anything at all.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
  #4
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
fastpasstv is the best

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
  #5
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
There are other free sites that offer quality streams without paying a dime.

I watch megavideo occasionally and don't pay anything at all.
But it doesn't stream to the PS3. My method does that.

I don't want to hook my PC up to my TV.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:35 PM
  #6
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
i'm not necessarily looking for 'free'... i'm kind of getting to the point where i'll pay to have the better quality/sound

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:26 AM
  #7
Bridges31
Goon? Lol
 
Bridges31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 11,673
vCash: 500
Just curious...

Is Canada's netflix instant lineup different from the US? Because there are a lot of sweet shows in the US for watch instantly.

Rescue Me, 24, Prison Break, Sons of Anarchy, Law and Order, Family Guy, South Park just to name a few.

Plus there's some decent movies that come out as well.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:28 AM
  #8
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Just curious...

Is Canada's netflix instant lineup different from the US? Because there are a lot of sweet shows in the US for watch instantly.

Rescue Me, 24, Prison Break, Sons of Anarchy, Law and Order, Family Guy, South Park just to name a few.

Plus there's some decent movies that come out as well.
yes canada's lineup sucks.

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:31 AM
  #9
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Canada has probably 20% of the US selection at best

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:18 AM
  #10
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
i'm not necessarily looking for 'free'... i'm kind of getting to the point where i'll pay to have the better quality/sound
If you have a console thats what my method does.

The Megavideo script is an HD stream but you do need to pay for it.

Not only is it HD I find its the most reliable with buffering and not stalling out.

PlayOn can be downloaded as a free 14 day trial. I suggest installing it on your computer running it. Searching the media server on your console and testing it out. I also strongly suggest the Megavideo sub. There are free links on PlayOn but rarely are they HD and some have some buffering issues.

Shows are usually updated within a day or two of being aired.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:32 AM
  #11
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
http://www.playon.tv/playon =$20 a year
|
--->http://www.playonscripts.com/
|
---->http://www.playonscripts.com/?w=view&id=140

Then get a sub for http://www.megavideo.com/ at $15 a month.

Stream all the HD shows you want. (Pending your cap)
This. Playon + PS3 is epic, I just don't want to pay money for it. But yeah the playon scripts some of them have thousands of TV shows and often times a lot of them stream sports games too, much better than the way they stream them over on myp2p etc also. Much better streams usually and much less lag.

I stopped using it after the 14 day trial, I have cable pay very little for it and am happy getting my habs games.

But try the trial, you won't be disappointed. Any American should buy this software, cause it allows you to stream all those sites like Hulu, MLB, NHL network, and even the ones like Tv-links all for 20$ period, in pretty good quality, and often times they even offer you multiple feeds for the same thing. (To the PS3/360 and is organized in such an easy way, no need to browse to the site in the ugly PS3 browser LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
But it doesn't stream to the PS3. My method does that.

I don't want to hook my PC up to my TV.
To the OP, listen to this person. PlayOn is bad ass. You won't regret spending the 20$. Only reason I don't is cause I already have cable, but you can try it for 14 days anyways so what's the harm? Just get all the scripts you can find, there's also a site called playon plugins (there are plugins as well as scripts) and that site has forums where more scripts/plugins are linked/posted.

Do your digging, get the right ones, and you're going to see playon for a Canadian is pretty damn good. It's like ghetto hulu with an improved version of ADTHE or Myp2p imo. That's the only down side for me is that I don't get those streams anymore, I think they even had UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
If you have a console thats what my method does.

The Megavideo script is an HD stream but you do need to pay for it.

Not only is it HD I find its the most reliable with buffering and not stalling out.

PlayOn can be downloaded as a free 14 day trial. I suggest installing it on your computer running it. Searching the media server on your console and testing it out. I also strongly suggest the Megavideo sub. There are free links on PlayOn but rarely are they HD and some have some buffering issues.

Shows are usually updated within a day or two of being aired.
Depends on what your needs are really. Check if the tv-links one has all the shows you like and has multiple feeds first. You are right about the stalling/buffering issues, but in my experiences at least with most of the shows I enjoy watching, there were always enough alternatives and at worst I could use megavideo when there weren't any. I would pick the megavideo option of TVLINKS as the last resort this way I don't use up my megavideo time but I still get to see the shows I want.

I never ended up screwed out of seeing an episode I wanted to see, but I can imagine for some shows it could be the case. The megavideo subscription is definitely worth looking into, but it might not be worth the 15/month depending on ones needs.

To the OP: Playon allows you to enter your hulu, megavideo, etc subscriptions into it by using addons, scripts or even in some cases it comes built in. It also allows you to add media already existing on your machine and if I'm not mistaking transcodes it over to your PC.

You just go to your Video section on the PS3, select PlayOn, then you'd see "Hulu, NHL, TVLinks, etc" and say you browse to Hulu, it would then say "TV Shows, Movies, etc" you select TV Shows, A B C D etc.


Last edited by neofury*: 04-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:05 PM
  #12
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
I have a premium sub to Megavideo and in the 4 months I've used it I have NEVER run out of Megavideo time. I use it everyday for at least 2 hours.

Man I wish we had Hulu and all that other stuff in Canada.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
  #13
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I have a premium sub to Megavideo and in the 4 months I've used it I have NEVER run out of Megavideo time. I use it everyday for at least 2 hours.

Man I wish we had Hulu and all that other stuff in Canada.
Same here. What I meant is without the account you can still watch vids just with limited time per day. If he watches shows that have alternate streams and only requires megavideo for an hour a day max when an episode doesn't work here or there, then paying for megavideo could potentially be a waste of money.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
  #14
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Same here. What I meant is without the account you can still watch vids just with limited time per day. If he watches shows that have alternate streams and only requires megavideo for an hour a day max when an episode doesn't work here or there, then paying for megavideo could potentially be a waste of money.
Ah, thats makes sense. I didn't quite understand how the timed MegaVideo worked.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:38 AM
  #15
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino
 
SaucyNavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,005
vCash: 500
Pay for megavideo? why.....no time limit when done right

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:10 PM
  #16
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
excellent answers, thank you towers and neofleury,

i gots some researching to do

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
  #17
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
Pay for megavideo? why.....no time limit when done right
Because with PlayOn it won't run the videos unless you have a sub.


Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
excellent answers, thank you towers and neofleury,

i gots some researching to do
You're more than welcome.

It's a shame more people don't utilize this method of watching TV.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:33 AM
  #18
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
having trouble with the avastream for the p2p sports streams... any other good scripts/addons that will work properly on the wii

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
  #19
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
I've found that the sports are kinda hit or miss. I use scrIPTV.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:14 AM
  #20
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I've found that the sports are kinda hit or miss. I use scrIPTV.
I had another one, I think it was World Live TV (but don't quote me)

You basically had to go through the most backwards ass way of finding them, you had to browse like every folder, but they did have all the NHL streams often time 3-4 of each game some of which streamed in perfect quality, almost as if you were watching it directly from the channel. It wasn't the regular ones though that are hit or miss, these ones were actually good and I can't remember not getting a game if it was available online. Sometimes the feed will be miss, but out of the minimum 2 choices usually one was good.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:38 AM
  #21
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I had another one, I think it was World Live TV (but don't quote me)

You basically had to go through the most backwards ass way of finding them, you had to browse like every folder, but they did have all the NHL streams often time 3-4 of each game some of which streamed in perfect quality, almost as if you were watching it directly from the channel. It wasn't the regular ones though that are hit or miss, these ones were actually good and I can't remember not getting a game if it was available online. Sometimes the feed will be miss, but out of the minimum 2 choices usually one was good.
Thanks Neo. I just downloaded it and I will give it a shot later.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
  #22
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
I have a premium sub to Megavideo and in the 4 months I've used it I have NEVER run out of Megavideo time. I use it everyday for at least 2 hours.

Man I wish we had Hulu and all that other stuff in Canada.
So you pay for megavideo yet cant figure out how to get hulu to work??

Go get a VPN and watch any video on the web, regardless of blackouts. I watch Hulu daily.

Try overplay.net. Also makes torrents infinitely faster, as ISPs cant sniff out the traffic going over your VPN, so they wont throttle it.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
  #23
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
So you pay for megavideo yet cant figure out how to get hulu to work??

Go get a VPN and watch any video on the web, regardless of blackouts. I watch Hulu daily.

Try overplay.net. Also makes torrents infinitely faster, as ISPs cant sniff out the traffic going over your VPN, so they wont throttle it.
Will it work on the PS3? Does the single free one work well or should I get a sub?

Ok. So I installed it and it kills my internet. I go from 45MBs per second to 6.

Yeah, I just watched some NBC but man does it kill my connection.


Last edited by Towers: 04-22-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:32 AM
  #24
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Will it work on the PS3? Does the single free one work well or should I get a sub?

Ok. So I installed it and it kills my internet. I go from 45MBs per second to 6.

Yeah, I just watched some NBC but man does it kill my connection.
I wonder if the bandwidth is just not able to be used through the VPN due to limitations or if it's just sucking you dry for some silly reason

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
  #25
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I wonder if the bandwidth is just not able to be used through the VPN due to limitations or if it's just sucking you dry for some silly reason
I imagine if I used the paid service it would work better.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.