HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Draft Thread XI - The Aftermath

Old
04-24-2011, 05:44 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
When do we start voting for the prelims? And why are they a best of 3?

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I think they are best of 3 so that the first seed in the next round can't say "lol, you just played a grueling 7 game series. You're DOOMED before you start!"

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:09 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think they are best of 3 so that the first seed in the next round can't say "lol, you just played a grueling 7 game series. You're DOOMED before you start!"
...I think the imaginary teams would be ok. They should all be best of 7, lol.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'll pay the loser of Niagara and Vancouver to just goon the winner at the end of the series. That should soften them up!!!!!

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
seventieslord

Looks like discussion is winding down here on day 3 of the prelims.

Get your final arguments in, because voting on the prelims opens up at 10PM EST Tonight!

So that we have two people reviewing, please send your votes for all 8 series to both Stoneberg and (seventieslord).

You can just copy the following template, click on our names above, paste the template in, and add your vote below each series:

(4) Pittsburgh Bankers vs. (5) Toronto Maple Leafs
(4) Winnipeg Falcons vs. (5) San Jose Sharks
(4) Garnish Phantoms vs. (5) Dawson City Nuggets
(4) Vancouver Maroons vs. (5) Niagara City Blues
(4) Kenora Thistles vs. (5) Vancouver Velocity
(4) Portland Pirates vs. (5) Montreal AAA
(4) Peterborough Petes vs. (5) New Haven Nighthawks
(4) Springfield Indians vs. (5) Cincinnati Fireworks

Send in your vote for the series winner, number of games (they are best-of-3) and the series 3 stars, in order. If you like, send in the scores of the three games as well, and we'll use them, coupled with the closeness of voting, to simulate the scores of these two/three games.

Please continue to discuss the preliminary series throughout today, and tomorrow, as you can still have an impact on the later votes that come in. These series are far from over!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Looks like discussion is winding down here on day 3 of the prelims.

Get your final arguments in, because voting on the prelims opens up at 10PM EST Tonight!

So that we have two people reviewing, please send your votes for all 8 series to both Stoneberg and (seventieslord).

You can just copy the following template, click on our names above, paste the template in, and add your vote below each series:

(4) Pittsburgh Bankers vs. (5) Toronto Maple Leafs
(4) Winnipeg Falcons vs. (5) San Jose Sharks
(4) Garnish Phantoms vs. (5) Dawson City Nuggets
(4) Vancouver Maroons vs. (5) Niagara City Blues
(4) Kenora Thistles vs. (5) Vancouver Velocity
(4) Portland Pirates vs. (5) Montreal AAA
(4) Peterborough Petes vs. (5) New Haven Nighthawks
(4) Springfield Indians vs. (5) Cincinnati Fireworks

Send in your vote for the series winner, number of games (they are best-of-3) and the series 3 stars, in order. If you like, send in the scores of the three games as well, and we'll use them, coupled with the closeness of voting, to simulate the scores of these two/three games.

Please continue to discuss the preliminary series throughout today, and tomorrow, as you can still have an impact on the later votes that come in. These series are far from over!
How long do we have to vote?

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
How long do we have to vote?
basically 24 hours (assuming there are enough votes by then, which there BETTER BE), plus a little extra time for stragglers to come in while votes are tallied.

The first round should start Wednesday morning and go for 7 days, assuming discussion doesn't slow down as much as it did here in the prelims. I reserve the right to shorten it.

the series after that are likely to be 5, 3, 3, and 3 days long, subject to change of course.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

It's disappointing but not unexpected how little discussion there has been in the preliminary round, especially since I can see a couple of teams out there capable of knocking off a #1 seed if things work out for them. Too many GMs give up after seeing their regular season ranking.

Edit: The Easter holiday COULD have played some role, though. Just because of the holiday, I'd be in favor of extending the start of voting by 1 day only, but only if discussion really picks up tonight. Otherwise, your schedule looks good.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 04-25-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Sorry, won't be voting for this round. Exams.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Velociraptor

I think the next round threads should be posted ASAP, in the event where I leave for my trip to Cuba on Wednesday, and I have no access. I could lose just because I couldn't argue the strong points of my team.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:35 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I think the next round threads should be posted ASAP, in the event where I leave for my trip to Cuba on Wednesday, and I have no access. I could lose just because I couldn't argue the strong points of my team.
I was about to ask, "Should you really be advertising a trip to Cuba on a public forum," then realized that only the US cares so much about what happened there in the 1960s.

Old
04-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
I hope that voters will read the arguments, particularly for my series.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
I hope that voters will read the arguments, particularly for my series.
Arguments are part of how I base my votes. If you make great arguments, then I see that as your team playing very well in that series. If you don't even post, then I see that as your team playing poorly in that series.

I then look at each team and decide who would win in those circumstances. Team A is better than team B, but team A didn't play well (didn't argue), and team B played real well (argued well). That would make an unpset in my mind.... even if I see team A as better on paper.

In that first round, I voted for four 5th seeds. 2 were because I legitimately thought they were better, and 2 were because the other team put up better arguments, and upset a better team.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Working on a late bio for Slava Bykov. I found a nice summary on him, but it's in French. I'm using google translate, but there's some things that I could use a little help on. If there's anyone out there willing to help send me a PM.

Thanks

Old
04-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Working on a late bio for Slava Bykov. I found a nice summary on him, but it's in French. I'm using google translate, but there's some things that I could use a little help on. If there's anyone out there willing to help send me a PM.

Thanks
I might be able to help a little. Its been a long time, but maybe I remember some form school.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:

Thanks
I'm taking French in school now, it's my lowest mark but I'd most likely be able to translate a solid portion of the article. The only problem is that France French and Quebec French (what I know) differentiates in some areas, so I may be off a bit.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Reen or EB are probably a much better option but I have a certificate that says I can speak french from going through french immersion lol. I'm 6 years out of high school though so I'm plenty rusty. I took a french course first year university too.

I'd be willing to give it a go but I'm heading out for a bit now.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Since more than one of you offered to help I'm just going to post the parts I need help with here. If anyone has time to translate it for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnny

Comme Makarov avant lui, Bykov ne mesure que 1m72 et n'a pas de prédispositions génétiques évidentes pour le hockey sur glace, simplement un formidable tempérament. Son talent ne s'explique pas, tout comme ses adversaires ne s'expliquent pas comment il a pu leur voler le palet ou les mettre en déroute de manière si imprévisible. C'est que Bykov ne fait aucun complexe, même face aux grandes vedettes du hockey soviétique. Gai et sympathique, il s'impose comme le leader du Traktor, aussi bien sur que en dehors de la glace, dans les meilleurs comme dans les pires moments.

and

L'intégration en équipe nationale est une nouvelle réussite. Dès sa première sélection contre la Tchécoslovaquie à Prague, Slava Bykov, mis en confiance par l'ancien Shalimov, inscrit un but et une assist.

and

Bykov est néanmoins suspendu par sa fédération et rate ainsi les Jeux Olympiques de 1984. Viktor Tikhonov décide même de ne pas non plus le sélectionner pour la Coupe Canada quelques mois plus tard, sans lui fournir d'explications.

and

Le détail frappant chez Slava, c'est sa crosse plus grande que lui. Choisir un bâton aussi long est atypique, mais cela lui accorde une grande maîtrise de l'espace. Sa science du placement est complétée par une glisse phénoménale, ce à quoi il ajoute cette improvisation créatrice qui désarçonne les défenses. Sa seule relative faiblesse est à chercher dans les mises au jeu.

Wow, that's more than I thought it was going to be. Any little bit will help if anyone is up for it, if not I will do my best with what I got from google translate. Thanks again.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:44 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Arguments are part of how I base my votes. If you make great arguments, then I see that as your team playing very well in that series. If you don't even post, then I see that as your team playing poorly in that series.
I guess it's up to you how you vote. But I'd prefer to be judged by the team I drafted over a period of months, instead of whether I have time to respond point-by-point to an argument over a couple of days.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 12:51 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
I guess it's up to you how you vote. But I'd prefer to be judged by the team I drafted over a period of months, instead of whether I have time to respond point-by-point to an argument over a couple of days.
I think the teams are obviously more important but if you can put a good enough argument to possibly change the outcome of a series, that certainly should weigh into the voting.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
As I said already, the arguments dictate how well your team plays. Some teams, based on their roster, can only play so well, and other teams, also based on their rosters, can only play so poorly, but just like real hockey, good teams can choke and weak teams can play miracle hockey.

Old
04-26-2011, 01:36 AM
jarek

Quote:
Then what exactly is the point of the arguments?

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:56 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Then what exactly is the point of the arguments?
The team strengths, weaknesses, and matchups are set and determined based on the draft process. But they are well worth discussing and debating because it is through the collective knowledge and insight of the GMs that these strengths, weaknesses and matchups are revealed and can be compared.

The arguments can also be fun.

The point is certainly not to Win the Argument Matchup in the series.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:08 AM
vecens24

I agree with overpass. I think that the goal of arguing should be to enlighten other voters how your team may run or about certain players you have. It shouldn't be totally a that guy won the argument thing. Arguments should be used to sway those oh the fence either way, not as the be all end all in a matchup in my opinion.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
The team strengths, weaknesses, and matchups are set and determined based on the draft process. But they are well worth discussing and debating because it is through the collective knowledge and insight of the GMs that these strengths, weaknesses and matchups are revealed and can be compared.

The arguments can also be fun.

The point is certainly not to Win the Argument Matchup in the series.
You're free to vote whichever way you like. There's nothing wrong with the way you vote, and I understand your reasoning. I don't like that way of voting, but that doesn't make it any less legitimate than my way. I've only explained exactly how I vote, so people know the best way to get my vote.

There's nothing wrong with different people using different criteria. In fact, people making votes based on different ideas is exactly what makes this work the best.