HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing hockey in the street - how does that work?

Old
04-17-2011, 09:59 PM
beth

vCash: 500
Playing hockey in the street - how does that work?

This is a totally dumb question, but I never played hockey in the street as a kid. Now I have a hockey playing kid, and we have a little mini goal, and I got some balls today. But how does playing usually work? Especially if there's just two of you and one goal? There's a lot of chasing balls down the street, that's for sure. If people can just run down how you play just for fun, that would be so helpful. My hope is that I can find some other neighbor kids to get in on games and then I can step out of it and just let them figure it out and play with each other and just be outside. But for now, I don't even know what I'm doing.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:08 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

It kind of depends. How old is your kid? When I was really little (4-6), we would just shoot into the net and pass around. When I got a little older we would bring out the baseball gloves (nobody was an actual goalie) and we would shoot on each other with tennis balls. Of course if we had enough people and 2 nets we would actually play a little game.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 11:13 PM
beth

He's 6.5. It didn't even occur to me to bust out the baseball glove. He'd love that.

Old
04-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Put the net on your driveway and shoot against the garage or whatever you have there so you don't have to run as much.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Elever
Hth

Street hockey has come a long way. If you wanna make it fun, get him some roller blades (not roller skates, roller blades meaning inline).

If I'm on feet, I get bored after a bit, on roller blades, I've played for up to 4 hours and hockey on roller blades is the most fun thing outside of hockey on ice. There's a lot of cool equipment too like pucks that simulate how a real puck handles on ice. There's also rebound nets and whatnot. This thing for example is awesome:

Pretty much google street hockey equipment and you'll come up with stuff like this which is gonna help prevent your garage from getting destroyed if you play with a puck on the driveway:

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:49 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Street hockey has come a long way. If you wanna make it fun, get him some roller blades (not roller skates, roller blades meaning inline).

If I'm on feet, I get bored after a bit, on roller blades, I've played for up to 4 hours and hockey on roller blades is the most fun thing outside of hockey on ice. There's a lot of cool equipment too like pucks that simulate how a real puck handles on ice. There's also rebound nets and whatnot. This thing for example is awesome:

*green biscuit review*

Pretty much google street hockey equipment and you'll come up with stuff like this which is gonna help prevent your garage from getting destroyed if you play with a puck on the driveway:

the green biscuit is awesome for stick handling and passing on nearly any hard flat surface, but it's not made for shooting. it will literally fall apart on you within a few shots.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Put the net on your driveway and shoot against the garage or whatever you have there so you don't have to run as much.
I WISH I could put it in the driveway, but it's got a pretty good slope on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
the green biscuit is awesome for stick handling and passing on nearly any hard flat surface, but it's not made for shooting. it will literally fall apart on you within a few shots.
I was wondering about that, so thanks! I got a bunch of tennis balls, because I was concerned about the parked cars on our street - but one of my hockey friends suggested instead to cut up a tennis ball into strips and stuff it all into a whiffle ball. Anyone heard of that? I might try that.

Any other input about how you actually play? Like, what rules did you make up to accommodate playing in the street?

Old
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Trevor3

There are literally hundreds of ways. Keep playing and whatever develops is what happens.

For just 2-3 people:

1 goalie vs. 1 runner - goalie gets a point for every 3 saves and a shooter gets a point for a goal, first to 10 wins.

2 runners - points for the posts instead of into an empty net (or just center post if you want to avoid running forever down the street).

When I played we pretty much always had a clearing line such as a crack in the pavement, manhole cover, tree alongside the road or a spare stick on the road. After a player shoots or turns over the ball, the player who gets it has to carry the ball to the line before coming back in for a shot. This way you can't just steal the ball, turn and shoot after letting someone else do all the work for you.

I remember one time my friends (I wasn't there) actually spray painted lines on the pavement to make a full rink. Needless to say the town wasn't too pleased when they found it.

The only other rule that comes to mind, when the crabby old lady up street came out mad at us, the first person to hit her car or house was named first star of the game.

We used the orange balls, most cars are fibreglass and plastic and don't dent easily anyway and if he's only 6 is certainly not going to break glass. In any case, wiffle balls are a good alternative. I used them when I first start playing around the same age, never heard of the tennis ball inside though. I always filled mine with plastic shopping bags.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
3pac

Just in case you hadn't thought of it, when I was little my parents used to make me stick a huge orange traffic cone in the middle of the street about 30 yards up the hill (which is probably technically illegal ) so drivers would take note and not run over the 7 year olds on roller blades. Depending on the type of street you live on, that may be totally unnecessary, just thought I'd throw it out there.

When I was really little I would just play 1v1 where I had roller blades and my dad just walked around. I remember that I enjoyed that more than videogames.

3pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
BlackDog13

I'm 50 years old and still play in the street with my kids. We run the gamut from 2-on Dad to full blown games when enough kiddies show up (I usually take that opportunity to step inside with a cold one and watch through the bay window) As others have said, definitely more fun on inlines than foot. To be completely honest, I've never been on ice skates in my life but have played on wheels since I was around 12.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
noobman

Since it's just the two of you and one goal, you're probably better off playing 1 on 1. For difficulty, you can do a few things:

Play "posts" - you score by hitting the post with your shot. If you don't have something to catch the balls behind your net, don't do this.
Jersey in the net - you can tie a jersey in the net and make it so that you have to miss the jersey to score (or hit the jersey, upto you)
Mini-net - lay the net down so that the base is now the goal. For added difficulty, rotate the net so that the player has to get behind the net to score (this one involves lots more running, and the net can be a tripping hazard!)

If you wanted to, you could do most of these with 2 on 0s. For some added fun try setting up a bit of an obstacle course with items laying around (trash bins, old tires, a ladder, or you could always buy pylons) to practice stickhandling. The goal is to go through the obstacle course in the fastest time and score on net (be it hitting the posts, missing the jersey on the shot, or doing a wraparound)

There were a few games we liked to play if we didn't have enough people for two nets and at least 2 on 2 with goalies:

Hog: Essentially free for all. Every man for himself. First to x amount of goals wins.
Team Hog: Two teams with one net. You had to clear the trash bin before you could transition from defense to offense.
Elimination: Same idea as hog, but if you score a goal, you advance to the next round and sit out the remainder of this round. The last person left at the end of the round is eliminated.
Elimination Shootouts: Like elimination, except in shootout format.

These are all great if you can find some neighbor kids to play with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
I'm 50 years old and still play in the street with my kids. We run the gamut from 2-on Dad to full blown games when enough kiddies show up (I usually take that opportunity to step inside with a cold one and watch through the bay window) As others have said, definitely more fun on inlines than foot. To be completely honest, I've never been on ice skates in my life but have played on wheels since I was around 12.
Part of me can't wait to do that someday!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 07:57 PM
beth

Awesome suggestions, everyone. Just what I needed! Thanks!!

Old
04-18-2011, 09:28 PM
beth

Just wanted to add that I tried the tennis-ball-inside-a-whiffle-ball trick, and it makes a great ball to play hockey with. Takes some work to chop up a tennis ball and shove it in there, but it was about a billion times better than playing with a plain tennis ball.

My son and I were just out for over an hour screwing around and trying out the new ball. Got the two little neighbor girls (4 & 5) to give it a go. I need to buy a bunch of cheap street sticks so they can all play, and a couple of regular size lightweight goals. (And some cones for traffic.) Then my plan to get them all outside and busy on a regular basis will come to fruition.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Yeah, stuffing a cut-up tennis ball in a wiffle ball works great. You just cut the ball in strips and put it in through the holes of the wiffle ball. It gives the ball some weight and makes it much more realistic feeling.

Edit: You beat me to it, lol.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Patchey*

I'd definitely get targets to put in the corners for him to shoot at.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:26 AM
biturbo19

when i was a kid, i was fortunate enough to live right by a school. basically right in my backyard. so a few of the neighbourhood kids would haul a net out there to the parking lot or courtyard and start playing. other kids would just sort of come out of the woodwork. there was pretty much always a set of street hockey goal pads that would get brought out and whoever wanted to would take turns being goalie.

i recall playing a lot of 'clear' where both 'teams' shoot on the same net, and have to take the ball across some set 'line' and bring it back in to 'switch ends'.

also if there were only a few kids, i remember playing some sort of shootout game. like 'first to 10' or whatever. and whoever lost had to go in net for the next round.

there was also a lot of just taking shots at nets in driveways...even fairly steep ones. kinda handy in that you can shoot on the net, and then the ball just rolls back down and you can shoot again. lol.

don't recall playing with my dad at street hockey though. that was more for the winter on the rinks.

those orange 'street hockey balls' were all the rage when nobody was playing goal. but always tennis balls when someone was in net though. probably good for hand-eye anyway.

and rollerblades definitely made things more fun and exciting, but also a lot more dangerous. lol.

man that was a long time ago. i'm sort of surprised at how much i remember. good times. those really were the days, lol.

funniest thing i remember was people 'being players' when we were really young. like, 'i'm gretzky' or 'i call bure' and stuff. so hilarious and weird thinking back. kids...lol.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

pretty much what beth said. some streets in the suburbs work great at certain times though.

Otherwise, hit up a public tennis court.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Yeah is there a good roller hockey puck that handles like the green biscuit but can also be shot and used in a real game? What about that reebok one?

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
Yeah, stuffing a cut-up tennis ball in a wiffle ball works great. You just cut the ball in strips and put it in through the holes of the wiffle ball. It gives the ball some weight and makes it much more realistic feeling.

Edit: You beat me to it, lol.
i don't understand what the advantage of this is over using a street hockey ball?

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Just wanted to add that I tried the tennis-ball-inside-a-whiffle-ball trick, and it makes a great ball to play hockey with. Takes some work to chop up a tennis ball and shove it in there, but it was about a billion times better than playing with a plain tennis ball.

My son and I were just out for over an hour screwing around and trying out the new ball. Got the two little neighbor girls (4 & 5) to give it a go. I need to buy a bunch of cheap street sticks so they can all play, and a couple of regular size lightweight goals. (And some cones for traffic.) Then my plan to get them all outside and busy on a regular basis will come to fruition.
...leaving much more time for you to stay inside and "get dinner ready"

Welcome to the Internet.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:33 PM
beth

Got 4 more sticks for street hockey today. They had some used roller hockey skates in my son's size, so I got him those too. He was zipping around and stopping, no problems. I tried on some inlines in the store and didn't find it quite as easy as he did. Think I'll stick with shoes for now. And my 9-year-old daughter finally got in on the action - a neighbor boy was on a walk with his dad and dog, so I was chatting up the dad, I handed his son my stick and he and my daughter battled for the ball for at least half an hour. Now my daughter says she wants to try ice again (YES!!!), and the neighbor boy is probably going to come to the next Try Hockey Free Day. Muah ha ha ha!!! My plan is coming along nicely!!

Old
04-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
pretty much what beth said. some streets in the suburbs work great at certain times though.

Otherwise, hit up a public tennis court.
This. If you have access to a tennis court, they're great for playing hockey. My buddies and I have been playing on a tennis court for 4-5 years now. Especially great if you do plan on getting your kid skates, the court is naturally grippy so less chance of falling (make sure you get them pads though, stuff is nasty to fall on with bare skin). Plus you can buy the cheapo hard wheels and they will last longer.

If you're going to play street, you can do all sorts of stuff. My first hockey game was on my friends street and we played without goalies and had garbage cans for nets.

Another thing that I found fun (and useful) when there was only me or me and another person was to set up a few cones to stick handle through and then take a shot on net

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
He's 6.5. It didn't even occur to me to bust out the baseball glove. He'd love that.
6"5? Whoa, that kid is a tower

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

It wasn't NHL 11, but did anyone ever give up something of value for C. Joseph, just to realize it was CHRIS Joseph?

Oh god, wrong thread. Ignore

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:29 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Yeah is there a good roller hockey puck that handles like the green biscuit but can also be shot and used in a real game? What about that reebok one?
Unfortunately no. I tried everything out there, but the GB slides the fastest on rough surfaces. Oh, and actually other plastic pucks break too (admitted they take more beating than the GB). We broke 50+ last summer, playing on an indoor roller rink (hitting the post usually).

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote