HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECQF|Game 4|Caps vs Rangers 4/20/2011 7:00 PM EDT

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2011, 02:39 PM
  #101
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
They'll definitely miss Knuble's net presence but a forward with more speed and possession ability should help the top line get through the neutral zone and establish a forecheck. I don't trust Chimera all that much but he should be able to help in that regard and Laich should be able to provide a PP net presence. God forbid this team's forwards play at the top of their game offensively for once.
the caps can fill on for knuble. laich can play in front of the net and does during the first part of the season when it seems boudreau is saving knuble. he's not as good as knuble at it, but has some ability. Hendricks could have a good game doing that as well. Not a run of games but one game at the right time.

the caps need the leadership sitting one loss from blowing another two game lead.

chimera? my bet is that he is there for the opening act. getting in on the forecheck with ovechkin and putting a hurting on staal and girardi. if the caps need scoring no later than the midway mark of the 2nd period, semin replaces him.

fehr? i look for johansson to create some a couple of good chances for him.

txpd is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
  #102
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
They'll definitely miss Knuble's net presence but a forward with more speed and possession ability should help the top line get through the neutral zone and establish a forecheck. I don't trust Chimera all that much but he should be able to help in that regard and Laich should be able to provide a PP net presence. God forbid this team's forwards play at the top of their game offensively for once.
Agee, maybe F-16 will get a shot at 1st line, if Chimera doesn't produce something quickly.

C'mon Chimer prove us wrong!

Vladiator16 is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
  #103
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
are you saying that fehr isnt a dirty goal/score in the paint scorer like knuble? are you saying that he likes to shoot the puck between the circle dots rather than create chaos in the crease?
Brooks Laich is probably the Capital that can play the closest to the Knuble brand of hockey.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
  #104
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the caps need the leadership sitting one loss from blowing another two game lead.
Meh. If they need Knuble that much for that reason alone then **** 'em.

14 games without a goal from Laich, 11 for Backstrom. Milk carton territory.

Langway is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
  #105
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the caps can fill on for knuble. laich can play in front of the net and does during the first part of the season when it seems boudreau is saving knuble. he's not as good as knuble at it, but has some ability. Hendricks could have a good game doing that as well. Not a run of games but one game at the right time.

the caps need the leadership sitting one loss from blowing another two game lead.

chimera? my bet is that he is there for the opening act. getting in on the forecheck with ovechkin and putting a hurting on staal and girardi. if the caps need scoring no later than the midway mark of the 2nd period, semin replaces him.

fehr? i look for johansson to create some a couple of good chances for him.
Japers' hitting stats does bear this out that Ovechkin and Chimera are the top forwards laying their bodies on the Rangers.

A line of Laich-MAJO-Fehr might just end up being the difference maker in this one.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
  #106
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i understand. i just got some grief recently for describing fehr in this similar way. of course fehr doesnt have the leadership and intangibles either.

the drift i get is that many on this board want fehr in the lineup. whoever misses to create that slot is fine and it being knuble wont hurt. by disagreeing with that i am pinned as building an excuse for the coming doom.

the caps need more experienced leadership, not less. they need more scoring in the paint, not less.

i hope fehr has a big game.
We weren't scoring much with Knuble in the lineup, either. I like Knuble, and he has been playing great down the stretch. Quality guy and he is a leader, but we have another one of those now. I think Fehr can add another dimension in terms of mobility and overall versatility. While not quite Knuble's net presence I personally do not think net presence has been our main problem against Lundquist. Let's not pretend he has stopped 40 unscreened shots a game. Simply getting quality shots has been the issue. As a matter of fact, I can recall maybe two 2 on 1s in the last game where incredibly slow skating (intentionally or not) killed our advantage.

I do wish Fehr was on a top 2 line, though.

Capsman is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 02:53 PM
  #107
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
they havent been scoring with knuble in the lineup, but knuble was one of the players actually scoring. there's not going to be a lot of scoring in this series unless a goalie has a bad day.
the caps need power play scoring. they have two ppg's in three games. arnott and knuble.

i will say this about the pp. if the caps dont win this game, there will be complaints about how limited fehr's pp ice time was.

txpd is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
  #108
CaptainKonoForever
Registered User
 
CaptainKonoForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Nicky needs to actually show up and play. Not looking like a number one center right now.

Sturm, Laich, etc. need to contribute as well. If your not going to score at least muck it up in front of their net.

CaptainKonoForever is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:18 PM
  #109
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
they havent been scoring with knuble in the lineup, but knuble was one of the players actually scoring. there's not going to be a lot of scoring in this series unless a goalie has a bad day.
the caps need power play scoring. they have two ppg's in three games. arnott and knuble.

i will say this about the pp. if the caps dont win this game, there will be complaints about how limited fehr's pp ice time was.
Knubes has one goal in 3 games. I guess that is "scoring" because of the general paucity of goals in this series. My point is that our problems go beyond Knuble's absence, and if those problems are addressed we will be the better for it. I don't subscribe to the "we are playing a team against whom it is impossible to score more than 2 goals" theory. That makes the assumption that every other team in the playoffs has a garbage defense except the team we are playing.

We need faster skating and puck movement in the offensive end, plain and simple. The defensemen don't need to sell out. And I'm not just talking about the PP, I mean 5 on 5.

Capsman is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
  #110
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,517
vCash: 500
Simple.

They match the Rangers work ethic, or hell, outwork them...they probably win. They don't, it's a close game. Long series. You can take it from there.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
  #111
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,746
vCash: 500
Capitals are winning the special teams area of the game. Two power play goals on 8 opportunities versus one power play goal for the Rangers on 11 opportunities.

Equal or greater power play opportunities for the Caps tonight may be the difference.

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
  #112
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Knubes has one goal in 3 games. I guess that is "scoring" because of the general paucity of goals in this series. My point is that our problems go beyond Knuble's absence, and if those problems are addressed we will be the better for it. I don't subscribe to the "we are playing a team against whom it is impossible to score more than 2 goals" theory. That makes the assumption that every other team in the playoffs has a garbage defense except the team we are playing.

We need faster skating and puck movement in the offensive end, plain and simple. The defensemen don't need to sell out. And I'm not just talking about the PP, I mean 5 on 5.
i think you need to first take into account that both of these teams are playing a clog up the neutral zone first and foremost. that doesnt lead to a lot of goal unless something really breaksdown. when the caps wings are playing down at the faceoff dots in their own end, they are not going to create a lot of offense off the rush.

after that its grind it out hockey. where knuble is in his element.

the problems go beyond knuble. you can just add knuble to them.

btw....yea, the caps need the veterans in the lineup. they have an effect.

txpd is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:46 PM
  #113
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Simple.

They match the Rangers work ethic, or hell, outwork them...they probably win. They don't, it's a close game. Long series. You can take it from there.
dont you think if they match or excede the rangers work ethic that its still a close game?

txpd is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
  #114
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
i just had to read like 100 posts about knuble's injury only to get to the end of the thread and still not know what it is. damn you hfboards playoff tizzy and damn you, capitals organization's strict adherence to the motto "loose lips sink (champion)ships."

geaux kapz!

PuckBuddy is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
  #115
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
dont you think if they match or excede the rangers work ethic that its still a close game?
yes - close in the right - ie the Caps have a lead and the Rongos cant sick back in their 0-0-5 set all night.

Roccoman is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
  #116
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
I'm confident the Caps will win. They do need to get in the face of the NYR. I'm not going to predict a score, but I do believe the Caps will win.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
  #117
Blades of steel
log off.
 
Blades of steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: richmond, va
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
If you watch tonight, I bet no one takes a beating more than Fehr in front of the rangers net. I expect to see a statement game from him tonight.

Blades of steel is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
  #118
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think you need to first take into account that both of these teams are playing a clog up the neutral zone first and foremost. that doesnt lead to a lot of goal unless something really breaksdown. when the caps wings are playing down at the faceoff dots in their own end, they are not going to create a lot of offense off the rush.

after that its grind it out hockey. where knuble is in his element.

the problems go beyond knuble. you can just add knuble to them.

btw....yea, the caps need the veterans in the lineup. they have an effect.
Actually, the neutral zone clog had been an issue for much of the season but I think they have done a better job of late at least neutralizing it a little. My issue earlier in the season was that we did not employ the speed and quick passing through the neutral zone to beat it. If the Caps do not have the personnel to do that, I'm not sure any team does.

Of late we have done better in that regard. We have successfully gained possession of the puck in NY's end in this series either by better dumps or speed and passing through the neutral zone (I could probably add that Ovie, Backstrom, and Johannson have been carrying the puck better as well). Now, we have the problem of puck movement in the offensive end. Very slow and deliberate. Our relative weakness on the offensive boards, in my mind, is not just about one on one battles. It's guys holding onto the puck too long. Again, watch some of the better teams along the boards, the puck is like a hot potato. There is a synchrony between the guys that I just don't see on the Caps.

Capsman is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
  #119
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
i just had to read like 100 posts about knuble's injury only to get to the end of the thread and still not know what it is. damn you hfboards playoff tizzy and damn you, capitals organization's strict adherence to the motto "loose lips sink (champion)ships."

geaux kapz!
its a right hand or finger. how long he is out is unknown since the caps wont even say that he's not playing tonight.

my guess is broken finger. out til the 2nd round at least

txpd is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:21 PM
  #120
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,180
vCash: 50
Just ****ing win.

I'll have to watch the game late on DVR thanks to my own hockey game.

Backstrom #19 is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:22 PM
  #121
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
yes - close in the right - ie the Caps have a lead and the Rongos cant sick back in their 0-0-5 set all night.
So you are saying the Rangers played a 0-0-5 set most of the last game? Funny how they could exert some offensive pressure, then get quickly back to that before we could move up ice. We are back to "try to feel good by suggesting that the inferiorly talented opposition has resorted to an impossible to exploit, talent equalizing tactic" mode. There are plenty of openings to score, we are simply not prepared to take them.

Capsman is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
  #122
meanolthing
Registered User
 
meanolthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
All I've had today is, like, six gummy bears and some scotch.

meanolthing is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
  #123
meanolthing
Registered User
 
meanolthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Y'know, call me crazy but I'm actually looking forward to seeing the lines tonight in Knuble's absence. Guys like Fehr will be looking to prove themselves, and Chimera (if the reporting of him starting on the top line are true) will be looking to prove that he can do a similar job in the front-net office. This being game 4 with a tweaked lineup, I'm expecting to see a newly energized team.

meanolthing is offline  
Old
04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
  #124
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveng7x View Post
If you watch tonight, I bet no one takes a beating more than Fehr in front of the rangers net. I expect to see a statement game from him tonight.
i'll be watchin that for you

txpd is online now  
Old
04-20-2011, 05:01 PM
  #125
meanolthing
Registered User
 
meanolthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
its a right hand or finger. how long he is out is unknown since the caps wont even say that he's not playing tonight.

my guess is broken finger. out til the 2nd round at least
You don't see him wrapping up the hand/finger and toughing it out? Modano did that a few years ago with a softcast when he broke his wrist.

meanolthing is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.