HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
It would be 4 games each vs. Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toronto, Boston, and Philadelphia and 6 games vs. Washington.
So it takes the Rapture for DJ show up again?

Old
05-21-2011, 05:23 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Islanders are voting on a new arena this fall.
And then, it's hello Quebec City for the Islanders in 2015!

Old
05-21-2011, 05:26 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
And then, it's hello Quebec City for the Islanders in 2015!
DiPietro should only have about another Decade left on his contract by then

Old
05-21-2011, 06:56 PM
puckgoalnet

So, reading the news about Atlanta makes me wonder. How long will it be before Columbus moves?

The bloom is off the rose and I think the ownership has completely mismanaged this team from the start. No disrespect to Mr. Mac, great man who's done a lot of great things for Columbus and beyond. But let's face it, unless they seriously improve the product on the ice and the game experience (which has also been declining) ... the jackets day's are numbered.

It's a sad situation. I was a season ticket holder from day 1 until this last season. I grew up playing pond-hockey, LOVE the sport, but it got to the point where watching a Jackets game was too frustrating to take. If that's happening to hard-core fans, it's no wonder the casual fans are disappearing.

I think fielding a winning team is a BIG step in the right direction ... but what else do you think they need to do to get the fans back out?

Old
05-21-2011, 07:06 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravel View Post
So, reading the news about Atlanta makes me wonder. How long will it be before Columbus moves?

The bloom is off the rose and I think the ownership has completely mismanaged this team from the start. No disrespect to Mr. Mac, great man who's done a lot of great things for Columbus and beyond. But let's face it, unless they seriously improve the product on the ice and the game experience (which has also been declining) ... the jackets day's are numbered.

It's a sad situation. I was a season ticket holder from day 1 until this last season. I grew up playing pond-hockey, LOVE the sport, but it got to the point where watching a Jackets game was too frustrating to take. If that's happening to hard-core fans, it's no wonder the casual fans are disappearing.

I think fielding a winning team is a BIG step in the right direction ... but what else do you think they need to do to get the fans back out?
Game Ops could continue spiraling downhill, as long as we start winning, consistently, we will be fine. The last few seasons, when this team puts together a few good weeks, attendance numbers do go up a bit. We haven't reached the point yet where this team will not draw, even if they win. That said, everytime I watch one of these Western Conference playoff games, it sure looks like we are a few seasons away.

This organization went from being on rocky ground to basically being on a mudslide with the release of the report that they lost 25 mil last season, in my opinion.

There's no more room for these facepalming mistakes anymore, I don't care how committed JMac Jr. is to this franchise, losing money hand over fist will eventually become "Bad Business", as if it isn't already.

Old
05-21-2011, 07:27 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...s-flaggingfans

Only about 200 fans showed up....

Old
05-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Pfft, barely more than that showed up for official "Save the Whalers" events (which actually had Whalers players in attendance), and they act like it was a huge travesty that such a universally-loved team left town.

Old
05-22-2011, 06:25 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Pfft, barely more than that showed up for official "Save the Whalers" events (which actually had Whalers players in attendance), and they act like it was a huge travesty that such a universally-loved team left town.
Did Arace attend this? Seems the low turnout in Hartford could've been due to this....

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 05-22-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old
05-22-2011, 10:29 AM
JustSidding

Start of the 2012 season, Columbus should move to the Southeast Division. It is the move that makes the most sense. Forget Detroit, they can stay in the west. Columbus needs the move more than they do.

However, Detroit got the shootout wins not to count as actual wins so they can get anything they want.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:44 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSidding View Post
Start of the 2012 season, Columbus should move to the Southeast Division. It is the move that makes the most sense. Forget Detroit, they can stay in the west. Columbus needs the move more than they do.

However, Detroit got the shootout wins not to count as actual wins so they can get anything they want.
If I'm not mistaken the "shootout" idea came from our GM, so maybe he can get anything he wants?

Old
05-22-2011, 10:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
If I'm not mistaken the "shootout" idea came from our GM, so maybe he can get anything he wants?
didn't our GM want Wade Redden though?

Old
05-22-2011, 10:49 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
didn't our GM want Wade Redden though?
It appears that he's wanting the wrong things.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:56 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSidding View Post

That was Howson

Old
05-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
That comment made me stop and think for a minute. When I think of the Northwest US, I tend to associate the area with lumberjacks more than intellectuals. I always thought the so-called intellectuals hung out in the NE, ie Havard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

But what do I know; I'm just a simple, redneck Ohio corn farmer who's waiting for the world to end tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see how this realignment, if any, takes shape.
Oh, there are plenty of people in the Northwest who wear flannel on a daily basis. Out that way, they're called "women".

Old
05-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravel View Post

Canning accepting the resignation of the game ops director was a big step in that direction.

I don't see a scenario that involves this team moving. There's way too much that's been invested in the area, and despite what the mouth-breathers at OSU think, that's not something that can be replaced in the absence of an NHL team.

Old
05-23-2011, 08:35 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

"flannel. ... "mouth breathers"

You guys made me snort my morning mango.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
That has to be on the funniest things I have read in my years on these forums.
My dad spends half of every month in Portland and Seattle, so I get out there somewhat often. There's a world of difference between the NW and just about everywhere else I've been in the US. Wasn't meant to be an attack on all of you "redneck corn farmers in Ohio" like Matt Foley thought.

Or was it the *gasp* soccer reference that I made?

Old
05-23-2011, 10:08 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Canning accepting the resignation of the game ops director was a big step in that direction.

I don't see a scenario that involves this team moving. There's way too much that's been invested in the area, and despite what the mouth-breathers at OSU think, that's not something that can be replaced in the absence of an NHL team.
Maybe. I won't rule anything out.... Including becoming a cap floor team.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
My dad spends half of every month in Portland and Seattle, so I get out there somewhat often. There's a world of difference between the NW and just about everywhere else I've been in the US. Wasn't meant to be an attack on all of you "redneck corn farmers in Ohio" like Matt Foley thought.

Or was it the *gasp* soccer reference that I made?
I've been out to the NW and they are as much the "intellectual" hotbed for America as I am the smartest man alive. To link Soccer (and the "sublety" needed to appreciate it's nuances) fans to intellectuals is about as silly.

I know a lot of really dumb hockey fans and I've been up in the NW enough to know that stupidity is just as rampant up there as anywhere else I've seen. Well, at least ignorance. I've talked politics (and other topics) up there to realize that the loss of history as well as a fundamental lack of understanding of who their politicians are (as well as where they stand on issues) is just a bad up there as Columbus Ohio. They are just blissfully unaware of how ignorant they are on the issues.

Oh I might have missed the pockets of brilliant minds, but those exist all over this fine country if you look hard enough.

That just makes me giggle... Hard...

This is, obviously, way off topic. I'm not saying that there aren't smart people up there or that you might have a better converstation up there then you get in Parkersburg WV. But the intellectual hotbed (or whatever you called it)? Hell no.

Best converstation I had in a long long time was with a couple of Israelians. If that is an example of their population, they would destroy your NW. It speaks to the US and not so much the NW. I am sure there are some very smart people up in the NW (I haven't personally met any with the couple of hundred I've talked to), but per capita it's not going to be any better then some of the other sections of this fine country.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
That comment made me stop and think for a minute. When I think of the Northwest US, I tend to associate the area with lumberjacks more than intellectuals. I always thought the so-called intellectuals hung out in the NE, ie Havard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

But what do I know; I'm just a simple, redneck Ohio corn farmer who's waiting for the world to end tomorrow.
What do the two misconceptions (NW vs MW) have in common? People who make them generally don't have much to base them off of. Saying the NW is all lumberjacks is just as ignorant as saying everyone in the MW is a farmer.

I'm sorry I left out the NE, it wasn't meant to be about who's got the biggest **** in the country, it was an innocent comment saying why Seattle has done well for the MLS. People who watch hockey can appreciate the subtleties of the game just as soccer fans do, that was the ****ing point. That sort of mindset about appreciating the nuances is prevalent in places like Seattle and Portland. If you disagree, then just say so. There doesn't have to be anything more than that.

Again, this is just based off of the places I've been in America. You can sure find some dumb people up there, but IN GENERAL, I haven't come across as many ignoramuses up there as I have in most of the rest of the country. Maybe that's just my perception, but I've seen Seattle and Portland in lists of the "smartest" US cities and thought others have as well. I was just making a link between hockey and appreciation.

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 05-23-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old
05-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
I've been out to the NW and they are as much the "intellectual" hotbed for America as I am the smartest man alive. To link Soccer (and the "sublety" needed to appreciate it's nuances) fans to intellectuals is about as silly.

I know a lot of really dumb hockey fans and I've been up in the NW enough to know that stupidity is just as rampant up there as anywhere else I've seen. Well, at least ignorance. I've talked politics (and other topics) up there to realize that the loss of history as well as a fundamental lack of understanding of who their politicians are (as well as where they stand on issues) is just a bad up there as Columbus Ohio. They are just blissfully unaware of how ignorant they are on the issues.

Oh I might have missed the pockets of brilliant minds, but those exist all over this fine country if you look hard enough.

That just makes me giggle... Hard...

This is, obviously, way off topic. I'm not saying that there aren't smart people up there or that you might have a better converstation up there then you get in Parkersburg WV. But the intellectual hotbed (or whatever you called it)? Hell no.

Best converstation I had in a long long time was with a couple of Israelians. If that is an example of their population, they would destroy your NW. It speaks to the US and not so much the NW. I am sure there are some very smart people up in the NW (I haven't personally met any with the couple of hundred I've talked to), but per capita it's not going to be any better then some of the other sections of this fine country.
Let me put in another way.

A lot of people say hockey is not a game suited for the South. Agree or disagree? Soccer is held in similar regard in the South, at least that I've noticed.

It's more so a hypothesis than anything else. If soccer does well in the NW, hockey would probably do so as well, based on the people I've come across in my time there. That's all my intent was. I wasn't saying that the only smart people in the country are in the NW and that only dumb people live in the Midwest or South, and I didn't just have one conversation like you did with those folks, I've noticed this over a period of visiting at least once a month over the span of 18 months.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

The reason for soccer's popularity in the Northwest can be explained thusly: it's popular in Europe, therefore it must be worthwhile. So for the rest of the indie radio-listening, peacoat- and scarf-wearing, corporate-hating, Juno-watching, Prius-driving, two last name-having hipsters, that's a trend that must be followed.

Old
05-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Matt Foley
Meh

I guess my parody of those who label entire sections of a particular country as "this" or "that" didn't go over too well with at least one of you.

I shouldn't have even bothered responding to the comment LS made when it had nothing to do with the thread topic at hand.

In the meantime, I'll serve my two minutes for Lame Attempt at Humor and five minute major for Political Incorrectness.

Old
05-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Ludicrous Speed

And the reason football is popular here is because everyone here is a two-wit who likes drinking beer and goin' down to the ol' swimmin' hole and has the attention span of a fly.

See how that works? Both statements are completely ridiculous. Having been to a few Sounders games, I can attest that the atmosphere is awesome. They're passionate about it.

Sorry for making this OT. I was giving reason as to why relocation to the NW would work. It actually did have relevance to the conversation at one point.

BTW, hockey is popular in Europe

Old
05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Best converstation I had in a long long time was with a couple of Israelians.
Israelians? Is that like Jews from another planet?

Closed Thread