HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2011, 02:04 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

vCash: 500
If they realign and don't move Columbus

we would be the only team in the Western conference that is in the Eastern time zone. As many have said that 3 hour time difference is a huge disadvantage for fans of either team. Not to mention the physical drain it causes the players on those long road trips out of their normal time zone & the added costs incurred.

Old
07-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
I think it will eventually boil down to politics, and in this case let's face it - if we get into a politics war, Detroit will be playing in the Eastern Conference well before us.
I don't understand your point here. Explain what you mean by politics.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I don't understand your point here. Explain what you mean by politics.
I suppose a better term to use than "politics" would be "popularity contest," though in my book the two mean generally the same thing. If push comes to shove, quite simply, Detroit has been a successful/winning franchise with a deep fan base. While the argument can be made that the Red Wings are a big part of the Western Conference (teams that don't normally sell out typically do or at least come close when the Wings are in town), if the Wings and their huge fan base decides they want to play in the Eastern Conference, it's going to have a heavy influence on any decision the league/board of governors has to make.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:29 PM
DEF

The best solution is the one no one is talking about. Three conferences would have better start times, regional rivalries and less travel. If Minnesota was in the west, they would be the only team traveling more than one time zone. The playoffs could have the top four teams in each division and four wildcards.

Old
07-17-2011, 04:38 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I suppose a better term to use than "politics" would be "popularity contest," though in my book the two mean generally the same thing. If push comes to shove, quite simply, Detroit has been a successful/winning franchise with a deep fan base. While the argument can be made that the Red Wings are a big part of the Western Conference (teams that don't normally sell out typically do or at least come close when the Wings are in town), if the Wings and their huge fan base decides they want to play in the Eastern Conference, it's going to have a heavy influence on any decision the league/board of governors has to make.
I think this remains the key: those Western team's don't want to give up that payday. Also, the Hawks don't want to be the sole O6 team in the West. Kind of depends on how many votes the Wings need to switch, because I believe there will be more opposition than you foresee, GCG. Popularity, success, and fan base will not trump dollars, in my opinion.

Old
07-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I think this remains the key: those Western team's don't want to give up that payday. Also, the Hawks don't want to be the sole O6 team in the West. Kind of depends on how many votes the Wings need to switch, because I believe there will be more opposition than you foresee, GCG. Popularity, success, and fan base will not trump dollars, in my opinion.
Let's hope you're right, Pete.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:04 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF View Post
The best solution is the one no one is talking about. Three conferences would have better start times, regional rivalries and less travel. If Minnesota was in the west, they would be the only team traveling more than one time zone. The playoffs could have the top four teams in each division and four wildcards.
Explain what you mean here.... Do you mean out of the three conferences, you have the top four teams in each conference? How would "divisions" be figured out? With roughly 10 teams each, wouldn't a conference be better suited to just be one big division? Would you have 2 "divisions" per Conference? (like North and South Eastern Conference)

Old
07-17-2011, 06:07 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
I have to ask, since no one seems to be able to give me a solid answer here... Why is it so important that Detroit stay in the West for Chicago's sake? This isn't a sport like baseball thats mirred in the past.... If the past was/is so important, The NHL would be moving Toronto back west for the sake of the O6 continuity of having three in each conference.

I have to know just how important the O6 argument is, because it seems to be what most people are falling back on.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:19 PM
GV Blue Jacket

Quote:
The one plan still better from the 3 conference idea is a 4 conference plan which is essentially what I believe the new 4 division set up will be. Their would still be Eastern and Western conference, but the importance of conference affiliation would only be seen in the playoffs.

As everyone has discussed already, each division will have 7 or 8 teams. If every team plays every other team outside their division twice (once home and once away), including the teams in the opposite division of the same conference that is either 44 or 46 non-division games. That would leave 36 or 38 games against the other 6-7 teams w/in your own division (giving 5-6 games against each division rival which is close to the same as it is currently).

If this is how they end up doing the scheduling, then no team has to be in a division w/ teams more than 1 time zone away, and being in the central division of the Western conference would result in the same number of trips to the west coast as a team in the Eastern Conference.

If this is how they do end up doing the scheduling then the only real problems w/ the Blue Jackets remaining in the Central/Midwest division of the Western conference would be:
1. Playing against predominately central time zone teams in their own divisions, which in my mind is not a big deal.
2. Likely playing a west coast team when making to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs (I can only dream of this being a problem ).

If this is in fact the way the conference/division scheduling does end up playing out, as I mentioned in a previous post, I would honestly prefer being in the Midwest division of the Western conference than I would moving East, as I feel our more natural rivals are the teams from the midwest. If the scheduling ends up calingl for additional games against teams from the west-coast, however, then I definitely agree that I want in the Eastern Conference.

All that being said, given the Blue Jackets continued public statements of wanting to move to the Eastern conference makes me concerned that the scheduling proposed above is not what is actually being discussed.

Old
07-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Why can't there just be a...North/South conference?

Old
07-17-2011, 06:59 PM
GV Blue Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post
Because time zones (i.e. television start times) go East-West.

Although North/South would allow all of the Canadian teams to stay together, which some people seem to like, it would also make one conference (the South) largely devoid of any traditional market/marquee-name teams.

Old
07-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV Blue Jacket View Post
Because time zones (i.e. television start times) go East-West.

Although North/South would allow all of the Canadian teams to stay together, which some people seem to like, it would also make one conference (the South) largely devoid of any traditional market/marquee-name teams.

...good points.

Old
09-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Darren Dreger has a short bit on re-alignment discussions:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=377001

The most interesting part is about Detroit and that they are willing to stay in the West if the travel schedule is altered.

Quote:
The Red Wings will continue to quietly campaign for a move, perhaps, seeking support from influential Eastern Conference teams like Toronto, Philadelphia and the New York Rangers to help sway the vote at the December board meetings.

Detroit, however, has offered a concession.

The Wings are willing to stay in the West, providing they travel to Western Canada once instead of twice and far West into the United States once instead of twice per season.

Old
09-29-2011, 07:59 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

The most interesting part is about Detroit and that they are willing to stay in the West if the travel schedule is altered.
That same alteration to the schedule would help the CBJ, should they be kept in the West.

Old
09-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilliardsw55 View Post
Because Columbus would be in the south...

I did the map before Atlanta moved, and we would have gone from the most Eastern team to the West to the Most Northern team in the South.

I'm sure that'd add another team to the South with the Jets now up north, but it's still suck.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
That same alteration to the schedule would help the CBJ, should they be kept in the West.
My thoughts exactly.

As time wears on, I see one of a few things happening:

1. We all get what we want, and see the Jackets move to the East. (possible)

2. Detroit gets to move East, based on their history. (likely) ... our only hope is that they suffer an immediate decline based on their veterans retiring and it doesn't matter where they play.

3. Phoenix moves East (likely, particularly if they have a bad year)

4. Complete re-alignment (becoming a more likely scenario, based on the discussions I'm hearing)

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL looks at doing an "AL-NL" type thing like MLB does, to make things fair for everyone. I definitely wouldn't like that sort of idea, but I do see it as a possibility.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:37 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
I've been talking about it on these boards for 2 years now.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
blahblah

Quote:
2. Detroit gets to move East, based on their history. (likely) ...
Still not buying that. Not buying that the teams (or the league) are simply going to bend to Detroit's will. What's Detroit going to do? Leave and start another league if they don't get their way?

While I think politics will probably play a role, I'm not sure if the impact of Detroit lobbying is going to play as big of a role as it does in Washington.

This is either going to be a political or logical reason (with some gray areas) if one 1 team from the West is moved to the East. Detroit isn't the logical decision.

It's possible, I'm just not convinced.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL looks at doing an "AL-NL" type thing like MLB does, to make things fair for everyone. I definitely wouldn't like that sort of idea, but I do see it as a possibility.
Interesting. NFL is aligned like this as well.

Old
09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Something else perhaps

West

VAN
EDM
CAL
SJ
LA
ANA
DEN
PHX

Great Lakes

WIN
MIN
CHI
DET
CBJ
TOR
BUF

South

STL
DAL
NSH
FLA
TB
CAR
WSH
PIT

East

MTL
OTT
BOS
PHI
NYI
NYR
NJD

Schedule

H&H vs all 29 x 2 = 58

2 additional H&H vs Division 2 x 2 x 6 = 24

Eight team divisions rotate skipping one division opponent each year for the additional H&H

58 + 24 = 82

Playoffs

Maintain Conference

West and Central vs East and South: top 3 each division plus 2 wild card.

OR

Eliminate conferences: Top 3 each division plus four Wild card

Every market gets to see every team. West coast/East coast travel is balanced. Regional/Divisional competition is enhanced. No one is more than one time zone removed and no one team is the only one separated with in a division. There is a decent competitive balance within the divisions.

Edit: If PHX moves east to Quebec they move into the East. Then there is a choice: creating two 8 team divisions in eastern conference or move OTT into the great Lakes with two 15 team conferences again. if they go to Hamiton or GTO they simply slide in to the GL. Other relocations could be similarly handled.

Last edited by Roadman: 09-30-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old
09-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

I really like this Roadman. I guess Pittsburgh could also go in the East, but that would leave Washington kind of the odd man in the South.

Regardless whether it follows a 4 or 6 division split, I support the home-and-home with every team each year.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I really like this Roadman. I guess Pittsburgh could also go in the East, but that would leave Washington kind of the odd man in the South.

Regardless whether it follows a 4 or 6 division split, I support the home-and-home with every team each year.
As mentioned one of the things I was trying to do was establish some kind of competitive balance. They have quite the rivalry going with WSH and along with TB and NSH, the division would have 4 playoff teams. The same would be true if they went East. Actually other than the West, which is pretty definitive, there are several places where one team or another could be moved. As proposed, geographically, the divisions are pretty tight.

I post, therefore I am.
Old
09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Roadman, that may well be the best idea I've seen yet. You need to send that to the TSN guys...

Old
10-02-2011, 11:25 AM
DougKnowsBest

let me tell you the future

the NHL takes detroit s offer... gives them a easier travel schedule

with phoenix still in question the take the simple approach to realignment till that situation is resolved.. so the NHL simply switches nashville and the jets division affiliation

and we totally... unquestionable... get screwed

Old
10-02-2011, 11:40 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

??

Two road games against each conference opponent a year, if the Red Wings wants two six game road trips with three back to backs each against EDM, CGY, VAN and then against LAK, ANH, and SJS who are we to get in their way

Closed Thread