HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2011, 01:26 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Wouldn't we be the only team in the Western conference in EST? I would love to be unique like that! :p

As I said, this would either be done correctly or done politically. Moving Detroit to the SE would be political. It would be nice being in a division without the teams closest to us.

We would truly be the red-headed step child of the NHL. Love it.

Let's see if it's true. I would laugh.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:54 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

More from McKenzie, reacting to the response to his earlier post:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=377916

Old
10-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
I don't know if anyone saw this but here is the latest.

Click on the video re: Hotstove from this past Saturday for a graphic

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...l?cmp=twt-hnic

Old
10-31-2011, 07:23 PM
CBJwheel

Just a question: Why can't Columbus just make their usual start time 8:00?

At least it would help when I have evening classes

Old
10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I don't know if anyone saw this but here is the latest.

Click on the video re: Hotstove from this past Saturday for a graphic

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...l?cmp=twt-hnic
As far as I'm concerned, until the Coyotes situation is resolved once and for all, all talk of realignment is a waste of time.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
As far as I'm concerned, until the Coyotes situation is resolved once and for all, all talk of realignment is a waste of time.
We will see in December, I posted it tho because it might be of interest

Old
11-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Seedtype

Quote:
I agree. Also, isn't a new arena being built in Quebec? So doesn't that mean a new NHL team(either relocated or expansion) will be there in a few years?
But if they do decide to move Columbus or Detroit east then it should be Columbus. I'm sorry Detroit, but the West needs you more than CBJ. You're just too darn good, and Columbus needs a break right now(you don't).
Personally, I would prefer to see alignment where all teams have nearly the same traveling over the course of the year(isn't the NHL all about parity?), but I admit I'm too dumb to figure that one out and include playoff traveling as well.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Is Hamilton still trying to get the Predators? That could be another issue with any realignment.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:28 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
Is Hamilton still trying to get the Predators? That could be another issue with any realignment.
Umm, unless there has been a sudden reversal, that's been dead for two plus years and the new CW is that Nashville is a splendid NHL market (as witnessed by gushing of various announcers during their playoff run last year).

Besides that, they recently redid their arena deal, so I don't think they'll be moving anytime soon.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:30 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Umm, unless there has been a sudden reversal, that's been dead for two plus years and the new CW is that Nashville is a splendid NHL market (as witnessed by gushing of various announcers during their playoff run last year).

Besides that, they recently redid their arena deal, so I don't think they'll be moving anytime soon.
3 "rebuilding years" would change that opinion.... Nashville is in a real tough spot. We want the jackets to start winning and going to the playoffs, Nashville HAS to to survive as a market.

Old
11-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Porty tweeted this link to a Vancouver Sun article about re-alignment. Pretty good read about the main contenders.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/b...361/story.html

Old
11-03-2011, 05:15 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Porty tweeted this link to a Vancouver Sun article about re-alignment. Pretty good read about the main contenders.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/b...361/story.html
Good article. Like the author said, this falls into my "wake me when they decide" category.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Palinka

Quote:
There's been rumblings that Phoenix is toast unless there's a buyer installed by June 1 who will keep the team there. As far as whether or not that means that there's already a full-blown contingency plan (complete with a new non-local buyer who's not saying anything publicly) is something that isn't known. The sudden interest in renovating a dome in Seattle/Tacoma in preparation for something is very interesting, particularly since the NBA isn't looking to expand and the only team in danger of relocating was close to ending up in Anaheim.

I've seen some awful business deals and some awful municipal deals, but the entire Glendale fiasco is enough reason to think that public executions of inept local officials is something that shouldn't have been outlawed.

Old
11-04-2011, 05:11 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
There's been rumblings that Phoenix is toast unless there's a buyer installed by June 1 who will keep the team there. As far as whether or not that means that there's already a full-blown contingency plan (complete with a new non-local buyer who's not saying anything publicly) is something that isn't known. The sudden interest in renovating a dome in Seattle/Tacoma in preparation for something is very interesting, particularly since the NBA isn't looking to expand and the only team in danger of relocating was close to ending up in Anaheim.

I've seen some awful business deals and some awful municipal deals, but the entire Glendale fiasco is enough reason to think that public executions of inept local officials is something that shouldn't have been outlawed.
I've said for a long time that Seattle is a market that I think the league should target and I don't know why they haven't been more proactive about it. This is a market that is growing that the NBA stupidly left behind over an arena situation. All so they could put a team in the wastelands of Oklahoma. Meanwhile, Seattle has always been an ideal NHL market but for the existence of an NBA franchise--close to the border, so they can get crossover from fans in Canada like the Sabres have, a growing market with a younger population that can more easily be converted to hockey fans and an actual long history of hockey (including having the city's name already etched into the Stanley Cup).

The only reason I can see that the NHL hasn't been more interested in the Pacific Northwest has been the WHL. Look at the number of teams in Washington and Oregon and I think the question might be whether the NHL would have a negative effect on their attendance and overall viability. However, I don't think that should ultimately drive the decision. I suspect if those teams come on hard time, there are small communities in Western Canada that would step up and welcome them.

Putting a team in Seattle and killing any future for the NBA in that city would be awesome. I'd still hate for it to come at the expense of the fans in Phoenix. And yes, there are actually some fans there.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:31 PM
EspenK

From today's Dispatch

“We believe we can build Columbus as a hockey market better in the East,” Priest said. “Most of our fans grew up rooting for teams in the East.”

This guy is facacta-how about putting a decent team on the ice as a way to build the market, which btw the Jackets had for about 6 or 7 years before they started to tank.

On a brighter note the article also mentioned there was lots of backing for every team to play every team home and away every year.
I think that would be good.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:42 PM
BluejacketNut

No body is going to watch a losing team just because they play their road games at 7pm.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Palinka

Quote:
I've said for a long time that Seattle is a market that I think the league should target and I don't know why they haven't been more proactive about it. This is a market that is growing that the NBA stupidly left behind over an arena situation. All so they could put a team in the wastelands of Oklahoma. Meanwhile, Seattle has always been an ideal NHL market but for the existence of an NBA franchise--close to the border, so they can get crossover from fans in Canada like the Sabres have, a growing market with a younger population that can more easily be converted to hockey fans and an actual long history of hockey (including having the city's name already etched into the Stanley Cup).
I think the NHL has been very active behind the scenes, possibly to ensure that Jim Balsillie's name is permanently alongside Eddie Livingstone in the realm of minor characters who forced seismic changes. Depending on who you want to believe, there may well be an ownership group in every major non-NHL city who's been lined up, vetted, and is just waiting for something to happen. Seattle, Kansas City, Houston, Atlanta if ASG can be forcibly shoved out of the city once and for all, Quebec, and possibly even Omaha.

Quote:
The only reason I can see that the NHL hasn't been more interested in the Pacific Northwest has been the WHL. Look at the number of teams in Washington and Oregon and I think the question might be whether the NHL would have a negative effect on their attendance and overall viability. However, I don't think that should ultimately drive the decision. I suspect if those teams come on hard time, there are small communities in Western Canada that would step up and welcome them.
Figure that there would be an immediate jump on season tickets in the event of a Seattle team. I don't think that would do any damage to Spokane or Tri-City (four hours away) or Portland (three hours away). The T-Birds and Everett might see some damage though. Don't forget that Seattle and the Tacoma Rockets couldn't co-exist in the early 1990s, but I don't know how much that would even matter.

Quote:
Putting a team in Seattle and killing any future for the NBA in that city would be awesome. I'd still hate for it to come at the expense of the fans in Phoenix. And yes, there are actually some fans there.
There are an awful lot of powers-that-be in the Phoenix area who need a severe beating. They screwed up everything from the arena construction of America West to literally every step of the way with Glendale. I have no beef with the fans; there are a lot more than most would give them credit for, and I'm far from a relocationist. I think that Phoenix is a good market and it would absolutely suck for their fans, but the NHL has a league to run and the idiotic long-running Mexican standoff between Glendale and Goldwater is going to force the league to do something if for no other reason than to end it.

Old
11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
MrDarkBlueJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
No body is going to watch a losing team just because they play their road games at 7pm.
True, but if you take the position that the CBJ are someday going to ice a team worth the price of admission (law of averages and all), then I think the team would have an easier time getting the fanbase to watch exciting hockey in a 7-9:30PM window than a 10-12:30 window.

Case in point: The Sharks were laying a beat-down on the Red Wings last night. Compelling stuff for this CBJ fan. However, the midnight hour came and I had to get to bed...as the third period started. I still haven't bothered to check and see who won.

Howson & Co. have to put a competitive product on the ice, granted. However, game times and "traditional/familiar" opponents should help things.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Yea but visiting fans who live closer would be more likely to travel to your arena.

Old
11-18-2011, 09:36 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Yea but visiting fans who live closer would be more likely to travel to your arena.
THIS. Until the CBJ can win over their central ohio fans that root for other teams when they come to Nationwide (You know the fans, ones that show up with a CBJ sweater on one night and a Pens sweater when the Pens are in town) We would need to endure being the "visiting" team in our own barns.

Its ultimately preferrable to being stuck in the hockey hell of the Western conference or some sort of quasi-Mid North American Conference purgatory with Teams stretching from Dallas to Winnipeg.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 11-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old
11-18-2011, 11:53 AM
cbjrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I think the NHL has been very active behind the scenes, possibly to ensure that Jim Balsillie's name is permanently alongside Eddie Livingstone in the realm of minor characters who forced seismic changes. Depending on who you want to believe, there may well be an ownership group in every major non-NHL city who's been lined up, vetted, and is just waiting for something to happen. Seattle, Kansas City, Houston, Atlanta if ASG can be forcibly shoved out of the city once and for all, Quebec, and possibly even Omaha.

Figure that there would be an immediate jump on season tickets in the event of a Seattle team. I don't think that would do any damage to Spokane or Tri-City (four hours away) or Portland (three hours away). The T-Birds and Everett might see some damage though. Don't forget that Seattle and the Tacoma Rockets couldn't co-exist in the early 1990s, but I don't know how much that would even matter.

There are an awful lot of powers-that-be in the Phoenix area who need a severe beating. They screwed up everything from the arena construction of America West to literally every step of the way with Glendale. I have no beef with the fans; there are a lot more than most would give them credit for, and I'm far from a relocationist. I think that Phoenix is a good market and it would absolutely suck for their fans, but the NHL has a league to run and the idiotic long-running Mexican standoff between Glendale and Goldwater is going to force the league to do something if for no other reason than to end it.
Last night on the NHL hour, Gary Bettman was asked what non-NHL cities have the best national TV ratings.

After some stumbling, which makes me believe the question was legit from a fan, he said:

Las Vegas
Kansas City
and in his words "possibly Houston, but I'm not sure."

With the Loonie on par with the USD, Canada is getting the next move. But, I think GB telegraphed is his list of US cities for move/expansion.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:12 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
Last night on the NHL hour, Gary Bettman was asked what non-NHL cities have the best national TV ratings.

After some stumbling, which makes me believe the question was legit from a fan, he said:

Las Vegas
Kansas City
and in his words "possibly Houston, but I'm not sure."

With the Loonie on par with the USD, Canada is getting the next move. But, I think GB telegraphed is his list of US cities for move/expansion.
I don't think Las Vegas is as likely as I once did. That economy really has not rebounded from the downturn and there's the whole gambling issue that generally keeps the major league sports out. I doubt they can get the money together for an arena project at this point--had they thought it out better, an arena would have been a nice centerpiece to the City Center project, but that ship has sailed.

Kansas City is ever present because AEG has an empty building and when AEG talks, commissioners listen. The real heartburn with KC is the million dollar question--is this Atlanta or Denver? In other words, did KC fail before because it isn't a good "hockey market" or did it fail because of the circumstances (and I'd argue that Atlanta actually failed the second time because of circumstances, but that's a whole 'nother story). The real problem I have with KC? I don't see it as a growing market. It already has saturation with a football and baseball team. But, AEG may make the situation too tempting to pass up.

Houston has supported minor league hockey for many years (and the WHA before that). It would also give Dallas a natural rival and lighten up their travel schedule.

If I were to rank their chances I'd say:

1. KC
2. Houston
3. Vegas

I actually don't expect another team in Canada. Quebec City is the only place that's realistic at the moment--owners aren't quite ready to add in Southern Ontario. And QC is not the slam dunk a lot of people want to make it out to be. There's still a lot of political issues to deal with to get an NHL quality building there. Given the willingness of the owners to move forward with realignment without the Coyotes situation fully resolved, that tells me Plan B is another Western city.

Old
11-18-2011, 01:32 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Just what us fans want, more home Pens away games. Just by being in the east wont make our brand any stronger if they continue to lose

Old
11-18-2011, 02:22 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Just what us fans want, more home Pens away games. Just by being in the east wont make our brand any stronger if they continue to lose
Beginning to win in east is much easier than having to try and win in the west. We would likely endure the Pens, Leafs, Sabres, etc fans more, but with travel lighten considerably, it would be for the best. I don't like the "Visitors in the Home Barn" either, but I think in the long run, its the best option and it will be easier to build something, we aren't even treading water now.

Old
11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
cbjrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Beginning to win in east is much easier than having to try and win in the west. We would likely endure the Pens, Leafs, Sabres, etc fans more, but with travel lighten considerably, it would be for the best. I don't like the "Visitors in the Home Barn" either, but I think in the long run, its the best option and it will be easier to build something, we aren't even treading water now.
In Dec 2003, I saw the CBJ play the Pens in a half empty Mellon Arena. CBJ fans a plenty and loud.

Same can be said for Nashville in April 2009.

Turn about is fair play. CBJ starts winning, we begin to travel as well as those teams.

Closed Thread