HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
There is (and has been for weeks) a very lively discussion on the mains regarding various proposals for realignment, schedule revisions, and playoff formats. Surprisingly, much of it is very fair and astute, rather than provincial and simplistic (though there are plenty of examples of the latter, as well!).

Old
12-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 4000
I would love to see the CBJ move east, but in reality, I don't think anything major will happen. Why should the other clubs help the CBJ? The answer is they won't. It is all about winning so why would anyone in the East vote for a change that will give them MORE travel and potentially harm them from a competitive standpoint? I would be stunned if the CBJ move East.

Even if they were to move East, would it really help? Think about it, this team would be out of the playoffs in the East as well this year. They have stunk against all teams this year.

What the CBJ needs to do is draft better, do a better job of developing its players in the farm system, play better and win more. A move to the East won't help a team that continues to lose against the East and the West

Win more games. Period. That will solve the problems this franchise faces.

Old
12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
What the CBJ needs to do is draft better, do a better job of developing its players in the farm system, play better and win more. A move to the East won't help a team that continues to lose against the East and the West

Win more games. Period. That will solve the problems this franchise faces.
OK sure. But by the same token you'd have us end all the threads discussing the team's play and diagnosing its ills with "score more goals."

Old
12-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
OK sure. But by the same token you'd have us end all the threads discussing the team's play and diagnosing its ills with "score more goals."
The way we score goals, are you telling me that scoring more goals wouldn't help?

All I am saying is what difference will realignment really make for this franchise when the organeyezation can't draft, can't develop players, and can't win? Hey, I would love to see us move East. but the way we are playing, and have played for the past 11 years, will it really matter? Sure, you can quote how we would make the playoffs in the East in some past years, but bad hockey is STILL bad hockey, no matter what Conference you are playing in.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

I'm pretty nervous about the realignment discussion - I just don't have a lot of faith that Priest and Howson can command the attention that the the Jackets' plight in the West needs. I hope I'm wrong.

The reports that Burke and TML are against the home-and-home scenario just pisses me off. The Leafs make money hand over fist, and Burkie is well aware of the travel problems in the West from his time Anaheim and Vancouver. Suck it up and let's get some equity in the travel schedules!

Old
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I'm pretty nervous about the realignment discussion - I just don't have a lot of faith that Priest and Howson can command the attention that the the Jackets' plight in the West needs. I hope I'm wrong.

The reports that Burke and TML are against the home-and-home scenario just pisses me off. The Leafs make money hand over fist, and Burkie is well aware of the travel problems in the West from his time Anaheim and Vancouver. Suck it up and let's get some equity in the travel schedules!
I agree, but as I listen to Burke and others, I can see that they could care less about the CBJ or other teams. They will do what is best for them.

Old
12-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
I agree, but as I listen to Burke and others, I can see that they could care less about the CBJ or other teams. They will do what is best for them.
But wouldn't getting an easy four points a year be worth it?

Old
12-05-2011, 07:06 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
The way we score goals, are you telling me that scoring more goals wouldn't help?

All I am saying is what difference will realignment really make for this franchise when the organeyezation can't draft, can't develop players, and can't win? Hey, I would love to see us move East. but the way we are playing, and have played for the past 11 years, will it really matter? Sure, you can quote how we would make the playoffs in the East in some past years, but bad hockey is STILL bad hockey, no matter what Conference you are playing in.
I understand your perspective. This team wouldn't be competitive in any conference, unless it was the CCHA.

Realignment is about business. If this team was in the Eastern Conference with the current scheduling setup, the differences would be hug for the business of Blue Jackets Hockey. Travel costs would be 40-50% lower. Attendance would be much larger with teams like Pittsburgh, Toronto, the Rangers and Boston replacing the visits from Phoenix, Minnesota, Colorado and Calgary. Road games would start at 7:00 or 7:30 instead of 9:30 or 10:00pm on weeknights. It would be much easier to sell sponsorships, etc. One could argue injuries would be reduced. On the competitive landscape, it's arguably easier to sign free agents. Many players have been quoted saying they won't go to a western team because of the travel wear and tear. The Eastern teams have a great deal. The extremes in the West, the Eastern time zone and Pacific time zone teams have a tough row to hoe.

Old
12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I understand your perspective. This team wouldn't be competitive in any conference, unless it was the CCHA.

Realignment is about business.
If this team was in the Eastern Conference with the current scheduling setup, the differences would be hug for the business of Blue Jackets Hockey. Travel costs would be 40-50% lower. Attendance would be much larger with teams like Pittsburgh, Toronto, the Rangers and Boston replacing the visits from Phoenix, Minnesota, Colorado and Calgary. Road games would start at 7:00 or 7:30 instead of 9:30 or 10:00pm on weeknights. It would be much easier to sell sponsorships, etc. One could argue injuries would be reduced. On the competitive landscape, it's arguably easier to sign free agents. Many players have been quoted saying they won't go to a western team because of the travel wear and tear. The Eastern teams have a great deal. The extremes in the West, the Eastern time zone and Pacific time zone teams have a tough row to hoe.
Yes, this is what it is all about, not just for the Jackets but for every team. I understand about the travel costs, etc. Also about the time considerations. But each team will vote for their best business interest. We can only hope that the CBJ interest align with the others, or visa versa

Old
12-05-2011, 08:55 PM
JacketFanInFL

Quote:
DNFlyers Frank Seravalli
Report out of Board of Governors is that changes have been voted and verified for realignment. Details coming soon.
Looks like we'll find out tonight.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:01 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Rimmer reporting it's a done deal.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Looks like the four conference deal
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

Old
12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
New Proposal as per HNIC Hot Stove:

No divisions, it is 4 "conferences". Home and Home with every team, first 2 rounds of playoffs in division, and re-seeding after that.

LA, ANA, SJ, VAN, CGY, EDM, COL, PHO

MTL, TOR, OTT, BOS, BUF, FLA, TB

DET, CHI, STL, MIN, NSH, CBJ, WPG, DAL

PHI, PIT, NYR, NYI, NJ, WSH, CAR
I am betting this is what it looks like

Old
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

is this or ?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
staaaaaahppp!

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
is this or ?
It's fair. Placiates everybody. Pretty much the status quo for the CBJ.

I don't think Detroit to the Southeast was ever a real possibility, no matter what the tin foil OSU folks around here think.

12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
JacketFanInFL

Quote:
@jrimercbj#CBJ stay in west. 8 teams Central time zone with CBJ and #DET.
Per Rimer, to me!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
is this or ?
The CBJ moved from Hell to Purgatory if this is the case.... A step up, but not the homerun we wanted.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
The CBJ moved from Hell to Purgatory if this is the case.... A step up, but not the homerun we wanted.
Small step to be sure. We have our rivalry with the Blues, Preds, still get to see the Hawks and Wings on a regular basis. I think that this is a fair set up. But why only seven teams in a conference for the East? Each Western Conference has eight teams.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
staaaaaahppp!

Quote:
Small step to be sure. We have our rivalry with the Blues, Preds, still get to see the Hawks and Wings on a regular basis. I think that this is a fair set up. But why only seven teams in a conference for the East? Each Western Conference has eight teams.
Because they're not using that playoff format anymore?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Last four expansion teams all in the same division now. Interesting.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:28 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Will there be two Divisions with the new moves, or will the top four from each "conference" make the playoffs?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Because they're not using that playoff format anymore?
Twitter is saying that the top four teams make the play offs in each conference.

Top four teams in each conference will make playoffs according to initial reports being relayed by @helenenothelen.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
still trying to piece together the schedule.

If its a home and home against every team with the top 4 in each conference making the playoffs, is it a 60 game schedule and no longer the 82 games?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
staaaaaahppp!

Quote:
Twitter is saying that the top four teams make the play offs in each conference.
Forget Divisions. They no longer exist. That 8 team conglomerate we're in is a conference. The top 4 teams from that conference will make the playoffs.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

From Craig Custance: Scott Howson among the most pleased with realignment decision: "This was the best compromise."

Closed Thread