HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1359
By Dom Tiberi's calculations, the Jackets play only 8 games out West in the new format, would that be correct?

Gord Miller would agree in his assessment:
To be clear, teams only travel outside their conference once. That means Chi, Det etc. only go to Van, LA, SJ, Ana once, not twice.

Last edited by Fred Glover: 12-05-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

From Gord Miller:

This is a huge win for teams like Det, Dal, Stl, Chi. They lose the multiple trips to the pacific time zone, keep important rivalries.

He forgot to say that they get to beat up on the Jackets with regularity

Old
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Another tidbit from Gord Miller:

Det agrees not to go east because "the east" no longer exists. They'd go once to the west coast no matter which conference they were in.

This would seem to apply also to the CBJ, in that they go once to the west coast no matter what conference we would be in. So would travel costs be THE main factor for the CBJ? Just asking
I think that logic holds true for the Jackets. The other big advantage to being in an Eastern conference is you now have 38 games in the eastern time zone plus your games against Detroit.
Now we have more Central games with most of our conference in the central time zone

Old
12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Not what I wanted, but it's better than what we have now. I don't like how the teams in the 2 conferences in the East have a higher % of making the playoffs (4/7 = 57% vs 4/8 = 50%). At least we stay with Detroit, Nashville, etc.... and don't have to make as many trips to California and Western Canada (1 each).

https://twitter.com/#!/jessespector
Look for two expansion teams to be added during the next CBA.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
EspenK

Quote:
By Dom Tiberi's calculations, the Jackets play only 8 games out West in the new format, would that be correct?
Anaheim,SJ,Phoenix,LA,Vancouver,Calgary,Edmonton,& Colorado.

So yes 8 games but even a couple of those are in Mountain time.

This seems like the best possible for the Jackets. They weren't going to get a complete Eastern conference unless the a miracle happened. So this isn't bad.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Per Puckrakers:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

Old
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Look for two expansion teams to be added during the next CBA.
Wow, what a decision these two teams have if there is expansion, who to take off of the present Blue Jacket roster?

But I digress

Old
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I like the new so called conferences, the two eastern groups have an advantage as they only have seven teams to deal with as far as the playoff seeding’s go. I think the league is setting things up for expansion to 32 teams (Hamilton and Quebec would fit perfectly).

There is no geographic significance other than 'relative' time zones so the conference names will probably be sir names of some sort.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

So how many games does this add up to?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Renion

Only thing I don't like so far is what I read about the playoffs. This setup guarantees that conference rivals--the teams that see each other the most--will never meet in the second-most dramatic round (final round before the SCF), whereas before they were only guaranteed to never meet in the SCF. The only solutions to that problem diminish the concept of a conference, but I'd rather see the possibility still there, regardless.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Kutter

Overall very, very good news for the Jackets. It's going to be fun building a serious rivalry with Claude and the Jets. Hopefully we can build on our rivalries with Nashville and St. Louis. It will also be fun watching CenterIce for Hitch vs Claude on a regular basis.

Mid-week games starting at 10pm on television will now be few and far between for CBJ fans. Getting Philly, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, etc in our building every year is also a big plus.

Should make for a really fun season.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
So how many games does this add up to?
I think it is still 82-

(8+7+7)*2=44 these are the home and homes with all teams not in our conference.

The other 38 are against the other 7 teams in our conference. Some years we play certain teams 5 times, other years those teams 6x.Total of 38 in our conference.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

One note: realignment does need the approval of the NHLPA

Old
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
JacketsFanWest

I'm disappointed that the Jackets won't be making 2 trips out to So Cal every year, but it's far better for the team.

Seeing more of the Eastern teams out here means I'll likely be going to more Ducks games. This could be a big win for the NHL.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Overall, I like it. Home and home was imperative as there was no way Columbus was going to get the move to the east over Detroit. I'd rather have these teams as our 'conference' rivals than moving to the current Southwest division and having Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina as our divisional rivals.

All right, Priest. Once the signatures are dry on this agreement and the arena lease, you can say you've fulfilled your goals as team President and you'd like to now take a break from the grind to spend more time with your family.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Wow, what a decision these two teams have if there is expansion, who to take off of the present Blue Jacket roster?

But I digress
We could just make available all of our long term overpaid under-producing players. Protect the cheapies.

Old
leesmith
Still in.

I think we were small winners. Not big winners, not losers. Any kind of victory is good for this club.

Old
Forepar

Better yet, who does new CBJ GM decide to keep?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 27775
I am reserving judgement.

Being in a conference with Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg... That is a tough conference to contend in. I am hoping that a majority of the contests within the conference will be on weekends so we can travel to support the CBJ.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Only thing I don't like so far is what I read about the playoffs. This setup guarantees that conference rivals--the teams that see each other the most--will never meet in the second-most dramatic round (final round before the SCF), whereas before they were only guaranteed to never meet in the SCF. The only solutions to that problem diminish the concept of a conference, but I'd rather see the possibility still there, regardless.
In the end it will seem as though there are four little NHL leagues... The only conference fans will care about is the one their team is in. The conference rivals will slug it out in the first and second round, after that they will play one or two rounds vs. strangers..

It will be interesting to see which conference champ plays which.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Overall, I like it. Home and home was imperative as there was no way Columbus was going to get the move to the east over Detroit. I'd rather have these teams as our 'conference' rivals than moving to the current Southwest division and having Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina as our divisional rivals.

All right, Priest. Once the signatures are dry on this agreement and the arena lease, you can say you've fulfilled your goals as team President and you'd like to now take a break from the grind to spend more time with your family.
I like the way you think!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:36 PM
section 204

Quote:
Small step to be sure. We have our rivalry with the Blues, Preds, still get to see the Hawks and Wings on a regular basis. I think that this is a fair set up. But why only seven teams in a conference for the East? Each Western Conference has eight teams.
An expected move of the PHX franchise to the East?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:41 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
An expected move of the PHX franchise to the East?
Followed by an expansion team in Seattle?

That would leave one more spot in the east, and I'm guessing Whichever of Hamilton or Quebec doesn't get PHX will get an expansion as well.

Voila! 32 teams, a perfect bracket.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

The other interesting thing that could result with this format, the old 1st vs 8th conference seed playoff series is history..

A weak conference could send an unusually low regular season point total team to the conference finals in the third round.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The other interesting thing that could result with this format, the old 1st vs 8th conference seed playoff series is history..

A weak conference could send an unusally low regular season point total team to the conference finals in the third round.
Holy hells, you're right. I never thought about that, but that's a great point. Give me a minute to get some data, I'll be right back...

Closed Thread