HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
FANonymous

vCash: 500
Not excited. CBJ are an EST team and should be placed as such. Just because things aren't as bad as they were doesn't mean they're good.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Kutter

HFboards road trip to Winterpeg, Manisnowba!

Old
12-05-2011, 10:57 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The other interesting thing that could result with this format, the old 1st vs 8th conference seed playoff series is history..

A weak conference could send an unusually low regular season point total team to the conference finals in the third round.
OK, I just did a quick rundown of last season's point totals, and who made the playoffs under the two-conference system, and compared that to the new alignment.
You're just going to have to trust me on this, I wrote this all out on a piece of paper and I'm not going to copy it all online. You get the highlights

The results are in... only ONE TEAM would have been screwed over by the new format (going on last year's point totals). Under the old format, LAK made the playoffs with 98 points, but, they were the 5th place team when placed in the new Conferences. The playoff berth would have gone to DAL with only 95 points as the 4th rep from our new Conference.

Also, after looking at all of the totals, these divisions are pretty well balanced. Good job, BOG.

Edit: and because that was kinda fun, here's 2009-2010: Once again, only ONE TEAM was affected. COL, who made the playoffs with 95 points, would have been jobbed by the STL, who would have made it with 90.

...and the one you've been waiting for... 2008-2009. YES, we would have made the playoffs!
But the East side was really unbalanced that year, with 6 of the 7 teams in the "D" division making it, and only 2 of the 7 "C" teams. So, CAR and NYR would have been screwed with 97 and 95 points, and FLA and BUF would have snuck in with 93 and 91.

All in all, no better or worse than the current format as far as unbalancing the playoffs.

(Sources: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=604852 for new divisions, http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...82009&type=CON for standings by conference)

Last edited by plong123: 12-05-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
OK, I just did a quick rundown of last season's point totals, and who made the playoffs under the two-conference system, and compared that to the new alignment.

The results are in... only ONE TEAM would have been screwed over by the new format (going on last year's point totals). Under the old format, LAK made the playoffs with 98 points, but, they were the 5th place team when placed in the new Conferences. The playoff berth would have gone to DAL with only 95 points as the 4th rep from our new Conference.

Also, after looking at all of the totals, these divisions are pretty well balanced. Good job, BOG.
Good work!

I never liked the 1 vs 8 conference series after a season of division focus anyway, the playoffs will be focused on conference rivals which is good.. The new format should increase rival teams as well, teams will fight hard to get a top four seed...

Old
12-05-2011, 11:07 PM
DoggyII

Am I the only one who wants to see Adams, Norris, Patrick and Smythe make a return to the NHL standings? Give me tradition! In that case, we are in the Norris Conference.

BTW, it has been twenty years since the NHL went away from those names so they could play that anniversary up in a return.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:09 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Not totally what I wanted but I think this new format will be a winner for us and the league. Only having to go to the Mountain and Pacific time zones 8 times a year is huge.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
It's fair. Placiates everybody. Pretty much the status quo for the CBJ.

I don't think Detroit to the Southeast was ever a real possibility, no matter what the tin foil OSU folks around here think.
I think in the scheme of things, Detroit and Columbus got the shorter end of the stick. It's a better deal because they now only have 8 Mountain and Pacific time zone games instead of 16 or the old 24 of a few years back. Both teams are not aligned with the group of teams closest to them. Montreal is closer to Columbus and Detroit than Winnipeg or Dallas. Additionally, this new Conference only has one great road draw, Detroit and one ok road draw, Chicago. Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas and Nashville won't draw flies in Columbus compared to Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Rangers, and Boston.

From a Jackets perspective, forget playoffs for the foreseeable future. Chicago and Detroit will rule the Conference long term. Columbus now has to beat out 4 teams for a #4 seed. The entire "West plus Winnipeg" has a tougher road to qualify. I'm assuming teams had to offer a sweetheart deal to the Northeast and Atlantic Division teams to cobble together some kind of deal. Their old deal was so good, it had to have been very difficult to win enough of them over, so they had to be bribed by keeping them together. They still have the lowest travel costs and it's easier for them to make the playoffs, which also makes it easier for them to make a profit.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
Am I the only one who wants to see Adams, Norris, Patrick and Smythe make a return to the NHL standings? Give me tradition! In that case, we are in the Norris Conference.

BTW, it has been twenty years since the NHL went away from those names so they could play that anniversary up in a return.
I thought that when suggesting 'sir' names... I like it and hope they return to those names for the conference titles..

Old
12-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I think in the scheme of things, Detroit and Columbus got the shorter end of the stick. It's a better deal because they now only have 8 Mountain and Pacific time zone games instead of 16 or the old 24 of a few years back. Both teams are not aligned with the group of teams closest to them. Montreal is closer to Columbus and Detroit than Winnipeg or Dallas. Additionally, this new Conference only has one great road draw, Detroit and one ok road draw, Chicago. Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas and Nashville won't draw flies in Columbus compared to Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Rangers, and Boston.

From a Jackets perspective, forget playoffs for the foreseeable future. Chicago and Detroit will rule the Conference long term. Columbus now has to beat out 4 teams for a #4 seed. The entire "West plus Winnipeg" has a tougher road to qualify. I'm assuming teams had to offer a sweetheart deal to the Northeast and Atlantic Division teams to cobble together some kind of deal. Their old deal was so good, it had to have been very difficult to win enough of them over, so they had to be bribed by keeping them together. They still have the lowest travel costs and it's easier for them to make the playoffs, which also makes it easier for them to make a profit.
As for increasing gate sales, Florida and Tampa Bay come out of this smelling like gold: three original six teams and one that entered the league in 1970..

Old
12-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I like the new so called conferences, the two eastern groups have an advantage as they only have seven teams to deal with as far as the playoff seeding’s go. I think the league is setting things up for expansion to 32 teams (Hamilton and Quebec would fit perfectly).

There is no geographic significance other than 'relative' time zones so the conference names will probably be sir names of some sort.
Hamilton is unlikely; they have no arena, and with Balsillie's latest round of problems (in addition to the other crap he's pulled), there's no backup plan.

In addition, it's possible that Hamilton does lie within Toronto's territorial areas (depending on interpretation), which would make it wither on the vine from the beginning. Basically, nothing has changed since their repeated failed expansion bids.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Hamilton is unlikely; they have no arena, and with Balsillie's latest round of problems (in addition to the other crap he's pulled), there's no backup plan.

In addition, it's possible that Hamilton does lie within Toronto's territorial areas (depending on interpretation), which would make it wither on the vine from the beginning. Basically, nothing has changed since their repeated failed expansion bids.
The league constitution states a 50 mile radius if I recall, as for an arena there are plans to build a 21,000 seat arena in the Hamilton area. I can't recall the link for that but I did read it recently, the owner insists the proposed new Hamilton area arena is not intended for NHL expansion however..

Old
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post

A couple points. Those names were only in use for 17 years. Those names represent men who were complete asshats and crooks. If you want to read about these people, you should check out the book, "Deceptions and Doublecross: How the NHL Conquered Hockey" by Holzman and Nieforth.

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptions-Dou...3145360&sr=1-1

Old
12-05-2011, 11:28 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
The league constitution states a 50 mile radius if I recall, as for an arena there are plans to build a 21,000 seat arena in the Hamilton area. I can't recall the link for that but I did read it recently, the owner insists the new Hamilton arena is not intended for NHL expansion however..
It's 50 miles from the city limits AND two territories can't overlap, which means it's really 100 miles from the city limits at a minimum. Hamilton is within that distance of both Buffalo and Toronto. Additionally, I believe that new arena is not slated for Hamilton, but Markham an area north of Toronto.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...n-Ontario.html

Quote:
As for increasing gate sales, Florida and Tampa Bay come out of this smelling like gold: three original six teams and one that entered the league in 1970..
I agree completely, plus Florida is an attractive place for lots of Northeastern snowbirds to visit. On the mains, one guy who lives east of Toronto posted that he has neighbors who have vacation homes in Florida and buy Panthers season tickets.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 12-05-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old
12-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Doctor Spin

Quote:
A couple points. Those names were only in use for 17 years. Those names represent men who were complete asshats and crooks. If you want to read about these people, you should check out the book, "Deceptions and Doublecross: How the NHL Conquered Hockey" by Holzman and Nieforth.

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptions-Dou...3145360&sr=1-1
Friend, I can't speak to the reputations of the other three chaps, but it's just dangerous to talk about Chuck Norris that way.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:35 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Toronto Globe and Mail, Tuesday April 19:
If Atlanta, not Phoenix, moves to Winnipeg, Columbus could be on its way to the Eastern Conference.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1991965/
I cannot see it.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
It's 50 miles from the city limits AND two territories can't overlap, which means it's really 100 miles from the city limits at a minimum. Hamilton is within that distance of both Buffalo and Toronto.
100 miles would push a new team in that area further west then, the thing is, the population in that part of Ontario is so dense a new Hamilton arena could succeed in lower Ontario, even if on the doorstep of Detroit.. I agree it's unlikey Toronto or Buffalo would allow another team in the area but the pressure to give those folks a team is not decreasing.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:16 AM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

A question I haven't seen raised yet: How does this re-alignment affect the All-Star Game?

Old
12-06-2011, 12:20 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Seven View Post
A question I haven't seen raised yet: How does this re-alignment affect the All-Star Game?
Probably the draft again

Old
12-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Howdy, future division mates!

Old
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

The good thing for me is with guaranteed H&Hs, the CBJ will always come to Tampa, so as long as I'm here I can see them play at least once.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:38 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

How the hell are we ever going to make the playoffs in this new division? Wild, Wings, Hawks and Preds...ugh...

Old
12-06-2011, 12:38 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Howdy, future division mates!
*Waves* whats up?

Old
12-06-2011, 12:40 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
How the hell are we ever going to make the playoffs in this new division? Wild, Wings, Hawks and Preds...ugh...
I really think the Wild are going to falter down the stretch, and if Im wrong, then im wrong. I think we are a better team than the Wild.

4th place in the division will be up for grabs with us, Min, STL. and WNP in the future.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Mobil1fan

We'll have to see where the planned expansion goes, so we might end up in the East in a few seasons after all...

Old
12-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
4th place in the division will be up for grabs with us, Min, STL. and WNP in the future.
Good to know we're already forgotten , especially considering Minnesota hasn't won in Dallas in almost a decade, who knows when the last time St. Louis beat us (3 years ago?), won 4 of 5 against Chicago, lost to Detroit 4 times in 5 years, and well Columbus/Dallas is always a close one.

Looking forward to it!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Closed Thread