HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Someone should E-mail back "Why the **** are you still president of this team?"
He might very well respond with "I have no idea".

Old
01-06-2012, 06:38 PM
MFRONE

Not happening next season. NHLPA denied it, using it as a bargaining chip for the new CBA.

Quote:
Aportzline Aaron Portzline
NHL realignment on hold and will not take place in 2012-13 after NHLPA denies consent.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:44 PM
blahblah

The NHLPA can rot in flaming lava pool in hell....

I generally dislike most unions, this doesn't help....

Old
01-06-2012, 06:49 PM
MFRONE

NHLPA spewing major ******** right now, citing extra travel as one reason to deny it.

Guess only the Eastern conference teams matter to them.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

This may be CBJ's ticket to the EC. Hard to believe PA would do this, but they are trying to gain leverage for upcoming negotiations.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
This may be CBJ's ticket to the EC. Hard to believe PA would do this, but they are trying to gain leverage for upcoming negotiations.
There might be a small chance. I really can't see them leaving the Jets in the East for another season.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I hate Donald Fehr almost as much as I hate the collective of the Canadian media. This is what happens when the PA has a director who regards negotiations as open warfare instead of a joint partnership.

I'd have some fun, were I an owner with some say. Take realignment off the table? Fine. Counter with no Olympics, no more release for international tournaments of any type, reduction in the salary cap and a significant reduction in the salary floor, the paring of active roster spots from 23 to 20, expanded buyout rights with reductions in the amount paid off....then keep going. (THAT is "piling on")

Old
01-06-2012, 07:25 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I hate Donald Fehr almost as much as I hate the collective of the Canadian media. This is what happens when the PA has a director who regards negotiations as open warfare instead of a joint partnership.

I'd have some fun, were I an owner with some say. Take realignment off the table? Fine. Counter with no Olympics, no more release for international tournaments of any type, reduction in the salary cap and a significant reduction in the salary floor, the paring of active roster spots from 23 to 20, expanded buyout rights with reductions in the amount paid off....then keep going. (THAT is "piling on")
So, your response to "open warfare" is scorched earth? Glad you aren't an owner.

I love how people hate the NHLPA when it is the idiot owners who are responsible for the broken revenue sharing model that puts teams like the Jackets at a disadvantage.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
So, your response to "open warfare" is scorched earth? Glad you aren't an owner.

I love how people hate the NHLPA when it is the idiot owners who are responsible for the broken revenue sharing model that puts teams like the Jackets at a disadvantage.
Absolutely no surprise in this statement. I think this officially ends it.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

If the NHLPA is going to pick something so asinine as this for their cause celebre at this point, doesn't it make it obvious that there's no interest in what's supposed to be a complementary working relationship? I mean, the NFL had labor peace for 18 years with all parties benefiting greatly with this type of relationship...why have the NBA, MLB, and NHL all had significant problems, which have all either resulted in or been a result of an outlook that is contrary to this?

Old
01-06-2012, 08:15 PM
FANonymous

I was never really clear on how the whole realignment was supposed to be a big win for the CBJ anyways? Sure, you have 1 less trip out west, but now you also have reduced playoff spot availability and extra competition in a conference that already wipes the floor with you on a regular basis. I'd take my chances that the CBJ are able to beat 7 of the teams in the western conference for a playoff spot before they are able to beat four of Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, St Louis, Dallas, Minnesota, and Winnipeg. Hell, we're in a division with 4 of those teams right now and we can't crack the top four.

Maybe this mulligan will actually get the jackets out of this division and into the eastern conference where they should've been all along.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Easy, folks, it's just the opening salvo in contract negotiations. Mayor Bee's response, though perhaps a tad (?) extreme, is the direction the owner will go in their response. Then the bargaining begins. Long way from over.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

This upcoming lockout will suck.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:38 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Read Matt Wagner's analysis in The Cannon:

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2012/1/...us-interruptus

And Puck Daddy provides a bit more background:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-21833

Last edited by pete goegan: 01-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
but now you also have reduced playoff spot availability and extra competition in a conference that already wipes the floor with you on a regular basis.
I hate it when you go from a 8 in 15 chance to an 1 in 2 chance... /whew

Old
01-06-2012, 09:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Easy, folks,
Easy what? I don't care what the players and the players union position is on alignment. There are things I am happy for them to be able to bargain for. This, well... They can suck it. I don't care what their opinion on travel or playoff format is.

Honesty, I don't care what division or conference is. I don't care if we are only team in the East. I like our division, I like the teams we play. I am content. What I don't like is the power of the players union and their power play on this topic.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Easy what? I don't care what the players and the players union position is on alignment. There are things I am happy for them to be able to bargain for. This, well... They can suck it. I don't care what their opinion on travel or playoff format is.

Honesty, I don't care what division or conference is. I don't care if we are only team in the East. I like our division, I like the teams we play. I am content. What I don't like is the power of the players union and their power play on this topic.
Exactly; I think it's such an incredibly minor issue that I can't believe that this is the NHLPA response to it.

It'd be like calling a divorce lawyer because your wife wants Mexican food and you want Chinese.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:11 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
I hate it when you go from a 8 in 15 chance to an 1 in 2 chance... /whew
When 2-3 guaranteed of the "8 in 15" are in your group of 8 it effectively becomes 1 in 3 or 1 in 4.

How many times have we finished higher than Detroit, Chicago, or Nashville in our history?

Edit: Here I did the homework for you. We've finished higher than

Detroit - Never
Nashville - Once
St. Louis - Twice
Chicago - Three times [ but not since 06-07 ]

Last edited by FANonymous: 01-06-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Exactly; I think it's such an incredibly minor issue that I can't believe that this is the NHLPA response to it.

It'd be like calling a divorce lawyer because your wife wants Mexican food and you want Chinese.
Unions bargain for working conditions, which includes travel requirements. Not such a minor issue to the players. But again, it's only the opening salvo. Whether you care or think it's minor, it's obviously an issue that can be used in negotiations. The two articles linked, above, provide some perspective, as well as some porported back room info regarding the approach taken by each side.

As for your divorce analogy, Mr. Mayor, spouses have been murdered over less significant matters than that!

Old
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
While this may be the opening salvo in the upcoming negotiations, it looks like to me that we might as well enjoy (bad) hockey now because we may not have it next year

Old
01-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Well it looks like we're in for another pissing match between the NHL and the NHLPA. Hopefully, even these knuckleheads realize it can't come to another lockout because I'm not sure how well the league will rebound from a second work stoppage, particularly in Columbus.

When this realignment was proposed at the BOG meeting on Dec 5, Mike Priest told us it was a 'fantastic night' for the Columbus Blue Jackets (never mind that the team was in last place at the time).

What's your quote for how tonight is looking, Mike?

EDIT: and yes, I agree that this is just a bargaining chip for the NHLPA to get something like Olympic participation, as outlined in the Cannon and PuckDaddy articles above. But, I'm still annoyed that both sides couldn't have worked on realignment together before it was announced so we didn't have to witness these garbage ploys.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Unions bargain for working conditions, which includes travel requirements. Not such a minor issue to the players. But again, it's only the opening salvo. Whether you care or think it's minor, it's obviously an issue that can be used in negotiations. The two articles linked, above, provide some perspective, as well as some porported back room info regarding the approach taken by each side.

As for your divorce analogy, Mr. Mayor, spouses have been murdered over less significant matters than that!
This all may be true, but a huge part of labor negotiations in sports is the battle for public support. Opening salvo or not, this looks as bad for the NHLPA as Mike Modano complaining about not being able to feed his dogs during the last lockout.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
While this may be the opening salvo in the upcoming negotiations, it looks like to me that we might as well enjoy (bad) hockey now because we may not have it next year
On the brightside, it may buy the CBJ time to get some stuff in order like player development and scouting.

That's one year we have to not pay the players. One more year for guys like Johansen, Moore, Savard, Atkinson, etc. to develop further without being rushed.

Not that I'm a fan of no hockey. Just looking for a silver lining.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
On the brightside, it may buy the CBJ time to get some stuff in order like player development and scouting.

That's one year we have to not pay the players. One more year for guys like Johansen, Moore, Savard, Atkinson, etc. to develop further without being rushed.
I would agree with this however how can the young guys develop without playing? True, Savard, Atkinson, etc would be able to play in the AHL but Johansen and Moore would be on the NHL roster and a lockout / strike would not allow them to play, hampering their development.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:16 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I would agree with this however how can the young guys develop without playing? True, Savard, Atkinson, etc would be able to play in the AHL but Johansen and Moore would be on the NHL roster and a lockout / strike would not allow them to play, hampering their development.
Didn't stop the players from playing last time.

Closed Thread