HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2012, 10:16 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
On the brightside, it may buy the CBJ time to get some stuff in order like player development and scouting.

That's one year we have to not pay the players. One more year for guys like Johansen, Moore, Savard, Atkinson, etc. to develop further without being rushed.

Not that I'm a fan of no hockey. Just looking for a silver lining.
And perhaps the opportunity for the CBJ to TOTALLY clean house - President, VP, Directors, coaching, almost everything... and reboot this franchise. CBJ 2.0.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
CBJ 2.0.
Featuring Robo-Stinger?

Old
01-06-2012, 11:08 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Lame.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:40 PM
JacketsWatcher

I agree with the NHLPA. We currently (all things being equal) have a 53% chance (8/15) of making the playoffs. With the currently proposed realignment, we have a 50% (4/8) chance. The eastern conference teams have a 57% (4/7) chance.

How is it in the CBJ's favor to reduce their playoff chances from the current format and have a significantly lower chance than the two proposed eastern conferences?

Old
01-07-2012, 12:00 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 398
This proposed change favored the eastern conference. The 16-14 split was ridiculous when you consider 2 eastern time zone teams were in the 16 team western conference. The CBJ tried to sell it as a positive only because Priest is a bean counter and he seen financial incentives.

I am glad the plan got sidetracked. Sucks for the Jets. Otherwise, I don't care.

Old
01-07-2012, 02:29 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Featuring Robo-Stinger?
Pshaw, not before we get our NEON GREEN!!!

Old
01-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Somebody turn on the Matt-Signal?

Old
01-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

No big surprise here. The NHLPA is going to be flexing it's muscles ahead of the coming contract negotiations. Many are predicting next season to be like the NBA season of this year.

We shall see.

Old
01-07-2012, 07:51 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Unions bargain for working conditions, which includes travel requirements.
Unions bargain for working conditions, yes... Things like things that threaten their lives. Not pansy things, like I might have to travel a little more even though they are paying me anywhere from 550k or so up to around 10 million. If they want to collective bargain for things like removing fighting from the game or increased benefits after they retire, more power to them (although the latter is a more complicated matter, for example Nash can handle is own medical easy enough. I career guy with 40 NHL games and gets a career ending concussion maybe not so much.)

It's an insult to abused coal miners everywhere. Let's visit China for a bit and I'll show you people that need the protection of collective bargaining, assuming they don't get shot for being traitors.

When my job that was working me 80 hours a week told me to travel to Detroit for a couple of months, I was like... Uhh ok... The joys of being salary for the last 20 or so years. I had a choice, quit or not. They don't have to play hockey. These guys see their families far more than I saw my father up until around age 10 when my father retired from the military. No whining, no complaining. He did his duty, we did ours.

Citing travel is just a bunch of total wimps and the player in the West would make fun of the players in the East. The ones in the mid-west, even more so.

Pete, you are a good poster, but this one... Sorry man, you are waaay off base on. It's exceeding reasonableness. I can give you multiple real word examples of people that have it far, far worse, don't complain and don't think they need the protection of a union that, in reality, on a lot of issues doesn't even really represent the interest of the players.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Unions bargain for working conditions, yes... Things like things that threaten their lives. Not pansy things, like I might have to travel a little more even though they are paying me anywhere from 550k or so up to around 10 million. If they want to collective bargain for things like removing fighting from the game or increased benefits after they retire, more power to them (although the latter is a more complicated matter, for example Nash can handle is own medical easy enough. I career guy with 40 NHL games and gets a career ending concussion maybe not so much.)

It's an insult to abused coal miners everywhere. Let's visit China for a bit and I'll show you people that need the protection of collective bargaining, assuming they don't get shot for being traitors.

When my job that was working me 80 hours a week told me to travel to Detroit for a couple of months, I was like... Uhh ok... The joys of being salary for the last 20 or so years. I had a choice, quit or not. They don't have to play hockey. These guys see their families far more than I saw my father up until around age 10 when my father retired from the military. No whining, no complaining. He did his duty, we did ours.

Citing travel is just a bunch of total wimps and the player in the West would make fun of the players in the East. The ones in the mid-west, even more so.

Pete, you are a good poster, but this one... Sorry man, you are waaay off base on. It's exceeding reasonableness. I can give you multiple real word examples of people that have it far, far worse, don't complain and don't think they need the protection of a union that, in reality, on a lot of issues doesn't even really represent the interest of the players.
None of this makes what pete posted inacurate, though. Just maks he NHLPA petty and entitled.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:56 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Thanks for the compliment, bb, I do appreciate it. Still, I have to disagree. Of course there are many jobs more difficult and dangerous (and much less financially rewarding) than playing NHL hockey; but the NHLPA's job is not to negotiate for them. Obviously, unionization seems less necessary in their situation, until one recalls what sports was like before players had any power over their own careers. In any case, there's no way the average worker can identify with the problems of millionaires disputing with billionaires over work conditions involving chartered flights around North America! That doesn't mean that Fehr and his boys are just going to throw up their hands and allow the league to do as they wish.

My guess is that the ultimate solution being sought by the players association in order to even up the playoff disparity is the addition of two more teams. That solves the unequal division question, reduces the travel issue, and adds 50 or so (dues paying) players to the NHL. I don't know that they can force it (or even openly suggest it), but I see that as a possible resolution to the dispute and one of their ultimate goals.

Some are never going to appreciate the role of unions in high-paying occupations, particularly sports. It's unreasonable, though, to expect those hired to work on behalf of those employees to do less than their aggressive best for their members. Sort of like how defense attorneys have to do their best for even the most despicable of clients!

Old
01-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Unions bargain for working conditions, which includes travel requirements. Not such a minor issue to the players. But again, it's only the opening salvo. Whether you care or think it's minor, it's obviously an issue that can be used in negotiations. The two articles linked, above, provide some perspective, as well as some porported back room info regarding the approach taken by each side.
Seems a bit thin on substance to me. Unions, as I understand it, were indeed brought about for improved working conditions and fair wages. Travel is a major part of the job requirement for an NHL player (any any sports league). It's done, for the most part, with chartered planes, cushy buses and not with a hammer pushing them on board.

Again, I'm no union expert but this seems more petty than anything. Working conditions and pay scales for professional athletes are far from "a problem".

Old
01-07-2012, 10:23 AM
HuntKop
614 Wing Columbus

From a selfish perspective I was hoping to see the Jets in a conference with the CBJ, as well as with a better travel situation that currently exists in the SE division. That being said, I think the SE is probably the weakest division in the league so there is certainly an upside.

Still, don't like Fehr.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:42 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

We know where one Jacket stands...and he's with the union:

Quote:
Blue Jackets defenseman Marc Methot, the club’s NHLPA player representative, voted against approving the plan, even though he acknowledged it would have benefitted Columbus.

“We, as a team, were in favor of the realignment,” Methot said. “But from a league standpoint, we all felt we were not getting enough information and data regarding the changes.”

Old
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
We know where one Jacket stands...and he's with the union:
Saw this. Methot maybe said a bit too much right away there....

Old
01-07-2012, 10:45 AM
HuntKop
614 Wing Columbus

Jets owner discussing the rejected realignment live

http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/listen/

Old
01-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsWatcher View Post
I agree with the NHLPA. We currently (all things being equal) have a 53% chance (8/15) of making the playoffs. With the currently proposed realignment, we have a 50% (4/8) chance. The eastern conference teams have a 57% (4/7) chance.

How is it in the CBJ's favor to reduce their playoff chances from the current format and have a significantly lower chance than the two proposed eastern conferences?
And that's probably the most valid reason to reject this proposal. There's a reason that MLB is going to go against years of tradition by moving Houston to the American League. It's a big deal to players.

01-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2400
Mike Priest is quoted in the paper today that this decision by the Players Ass. is bad for the business side of the Jackets. Will someone please tell Mr Priest that LOSING is also bad for the bottom line?

Old
01-07-2012, 03:08 PM
squarelaces

Det. rep Kronwall voted no too.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:31 PM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

I hope this leverage play by the NHLPA gives us an opportunity to see a season next year.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:48 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

The playoff qualification is easy to fix.

Option 1: Conference champions get seeds 1-4. Seeds 5-16 are based on points regardless of conference.

Option 2: Top 3 teams in each conference get the highest seeds. Next 4 teams with the highest point totals regardless of conference qualify.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Det. rep Kronwall voted no too.
I know it is all about leverage, but the players have NO reason to bellyache about the travel schedule in the West. They have lost all credibility with me.

Old
01-07-2012, 06:02 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I know it is all about leverage, but the players have NO reason to bellyache about the travel schedule in the West. They have lost all credibility with me.
I never want to hear travel used as an excuse by the Jackets ever again.

Old
01-07-2012, 06:20 PM
JrussJacket

Really hope the NHL takes a hard look at the NBA and NFL lock outs this year. While it didnt really affect the NFL that much, it severely affected the NBA.

Given the financial situation the CBJ are in right now it would crush the organization.

Old
01-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Jorge
Actor,Comedian,Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I never want to hear travel used as an excuse by the Jackets ever again.
Exactly.

Closed Thread