HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Yzerman up for GM of the year

Old
04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Licklas Nidstrom

vCash: 500
Yzerman up for GM of the year

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote:
As the NHL announced its second group of finalists for year end awards Wednesday, the League announced that Vancouver's Mike Gillis, Tampa Bay's Steve Yzerman and Nashville's David Poile are the three finalists for the honor of the League's top GM.

One year out of the organization and he's already threatening to bring down hardware! Whatd'yall think his chances of winning are?

Licklas Nidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

From 12th in the Eastern in 2009-10 to 5th? In just one year? Hell, I'd give it to him! I'd even give him a raise if he beats Pittsburgh in the first round!

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:59 PM
DarkReign

For doing what, exactly? Hire a competent coach in a clearly downward conference?

Brought in Downie and Roloson, thats really the only two moves I can think of. Are there any others (serious question)?

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Licklas Nidstrom

Probably mostly because he's Steve ****ing Yzerman, but maybe a little bit because he inherited a team with some budding stars.

Licklas Nidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

He's too good to play hockey so he decided he'd try to be a kick ass GM

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 01:44 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
For doing what, exactly? Hire a competent coach in a clearly downward conference?

Brought in Downie and Roloson, thats really the only two moves I can think of. Are there any others (serious question)?
Not Downie. Brought in Gagne, Clark and Brewer off the top of my head (also Moore and Kubina during the offseason). Along with Rollie. He really filled in the holes in that lineup. It's his award to lose, IMO. These things always go to the 'most improved since last season.'

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post

You'll get a way better answer on the Lightning thread, but basically he came in and immediately stabilized an organization reeling from a tumultuous ownership situation, hired a top up and coming coach, then took a team with 1 good line, 1 good defenseman and major question marks in goal and provided depth all while picking up a top available winger (Gagne), a proven veteran goalie (Roloson), and a cup winning defenseman (Kubina) for a second go round. This while getting rid of Mezaros' salary cap hit. He's also locked up the heart and soul of that team (St. Louis) to a long term deal.

He's also a progressive force for the league as he's asked his team to all wear visors next year (an issue obviously close to his heart).

He's done a great job. Though personally I'd have given it to Shero. Even though most of his legwork was done last summer...

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:05 AM
NumberFive
Just a Schnook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
You'll get a way better answer on the Lightning thread, but basically he came in and immediately stabilized an organization reeling from a tumultuous ownership situation, hired a top up and coming coach, then took a team with 1 good line, 1 good defenseman and major question marks in goal and provided depth all while picking up a top available winger (Gagne), a proven veteran goalie (Roloson), and a cup winning defenseman (Kubina) for a second go round. This while getting rid of Mezaros' salary cap hit. He's also locked up the heart and soul of that team (St. Louis) to a long term deal.

He's also a progressive force for the league as he's asked his team to all wear visors next year (an issue obviously close to his heart).

He's done a great job. Though personally I'd have given it to Shero. Even though most of his legwork was done last summer...
Well, this is my point exactly. I wouldn't vote for him just because he's "Steve effin' Yzerman". I'd like to see any ordinary Joe off the street go walking into a troubled franchise and turn the thing around in one year. Not as easy as he made it look, people. And as far as the business of him having it all set up for him already when he walked in, please. How many times have we seen teams that have a dream roster go to pot because there's no true leader steering the ship? And that starts at the top, gang. The head coach isn't the be-all and end-all of leadership in an organization.

All you Yzerman/Wings-haters out there (and I know you're reading) are ready to pounce, saying "he's only gonna get it 'cuz he was an effin' Red Wing". Okay. Fine. Whatever. But don't be surprised if T.B.'s in the Finals in the next 2 years, if not next year.

Yzerman didn't just waltz into a GM position. He was groomed for it by one of the best in the business, Ken Holland. He knows what he's doing. Give him credit for what he's done so far.

NumberFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Yemack

I see this award is becoming another Jack Adams award

aka given to most improved team's manager/coach

Turning point of vancouver's season was when they got blown out 7-1 during the season by Hawks and players got together for a meeting.

Had they not gotten blown out would their coach or manager even be in discussion? so who should really get credit for the turn around? I would say BlackHawks or Canucks players. Give the award to them.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Yemack

[delete]

Last edited by Yemack: 04-22-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote