HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey Devils Offseason Moves

Old
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

vCash: 500
New Jersey Devils Offseason Moves

While last summer posed quite a challenge for the New Jersey Devils (given the "Summer of Kovalchuk" and the John MacLean fiasco), this summer can and will provide as much or more of a challenge for Lou Lamoriello. There are numerous categories that need tweaking or complete adjustment, and those are listed below. Please share your thoughts as to what you think the Devils should/will do regarding these separate categories.

1. Head Coaching (and Assistant Coaching) postitions - With the bedlam that came with John MacLean and his short stint as the Devils head coach, I am very intrigued to see what LL will do this offseason regarding coaching. Many names that have been circulating include Ken Hitchcock, Kirk Muller, Kevin Dineen, Guy Carbonneau and Mike Haviland. Who do you think they will appoint?

Also, Devils fans have been very dissatisfied with Adam Oates and his stint with the Devils. Could he be removed and relieved from duty, and who would replace him?

2. Defensive Corps (PMD) - The Devils suffered greatly from having too many defensive defensemen and not too many PMDs this past season. While Henrik Tallinder did complete his patented "first pass" and Anton Volchenkov did fire cannons occasionally from the point, the Devils didn't have a bonafide, top-pairing PMD that they desperately need. Even Lou has commented on the Devils' need for a PMD (as documented in Tom Gulliti's Fire & Ice Blog), and he rarely comments on anything.

3. Goaltending Situation - Yes, yes. We all know -- Martin Brodeur is aging. And while he may be still playing top-notch hockey, it has come to a point at which the Devils need to sign a competent back-up goalie (not Kevin Weekes or Yann Danis) that can step in when needed, and play 20+ games. Johan Hedberg has shown that he can step up this year, and I think it would be wise for the Devils to bring him back. What do you think?

This is rather controversial, since the Brodeur-Hedberg tandem is easily one of the oldest in the NHL.

4. Zach Parise - While this board has been littered with Parise proposals (most of which are ridiculous), the Devils need to get serous about re-signing Parise, and locking him up long-term. IMO, this signing could be more significant than the Kovalchuk signing last summer. How long will he sign for, and for how much? Please, don't let this thread become a hotbed for more idiotic and irrational Parise proposals....

5. 4th Overall Pick - The Devils will select the 4th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, which is the highest pick they will have since their "Mickey Mouse" days. Who do they pick? I would definitely prefer that they pick Adam Larsson, but we'll see if that happens.

Drafting an NHL-ready defenseman could pose a problem to the entire defensive corps, as one or two defenseman may have to be moved. Two names that I think could be traded could be Colin White or Bryce Salvador, which would free up a roster spot as well as much-needed cap space. Speaking of Bryce Salvador...

6. Bryce Salvador - After missing an entire season due to concussion symptoms after sustaining a concussion in the preseason, Bryce Salvador is a huge question mark for the 2011-2012 season. Would anyone want him? Will the Devils take him back, or just waive him/dump him in the minors? Would he just retire?

Comment away....

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
NJD1982

1. Not sure if I want another rookie coach in, I want someone with some experience and not named Ken Hitchcock or Mike Keenan. Kirk Muller is interesting, he has a lot of experience behind the bench. If we bring in a rookie he'd be the only one I'll accept.

2. We should go after the best PMD defenseman available when free agency starts. Our defense wasn't too bad after Lemiare took over but we should try to upgrade, the need has been there for a while.

3. Broduer/Hedberg could work for another year but if Frazee is ready then I'd call him up to play behind Broduer. Otherwise I see no reason why Brodeur/Hedberg can't work for another year.

4. I think Zach Parise will resign for something in the neighborhood of 5-6 years with a cap hit of 6mil+

5. Sean Couturier

6. Sal should retire.

NJD1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
BeastoftheEast85

1. DeBoer or Crawford

2. Pitkanen, Kaberle, Bieksa, however Montreal lets go, or wait for next season and resign Andy Greene.

3. Theodore or Hedberg; a cheaper vet who can play a share of games

4. Long term.

5. Couturier (I would love Larsson but I have a feeling we will nab Couturier.), but Idk. regardless I think they will spend a year in minors or SEL before coming to the Devs.

6. Be on IR for the beginning of the seasons and we will see what happens from there.

BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Devils fans -- What are your thoughts of bringing in Kevin Dineen as head coach? He was favored last year in the head coach talks, before Mac was hired. He has honorable work done in the minor leagues, and is rather experienced, as a player and a head coach.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
How about MIN 2012 2nd Rd pick ,Nick Schultz and Jared Spurgeon.

For: Patrick Elias & NJ 2011 2nd Rd pick

Mancini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini79 View Post

How about no.

Elias is not going anywhere even if NJ wanted him gone. NMC.

Re-sign Zach, PMD & coach are the most important. Zach 6+ years, one of Ehrhoff/Markov/Pitkanen/Wisniewski and DeBoer please.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:26 PM
BeastoftheEast85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini79 View Post

NJ doesn't have their 2011 2nd, but Patrik Elias has an NMC and I doubt he waives it or Lou ever asks him to waive. He is the kind of guy who you just don't trade; a Dev for life.

Old
04-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I am confident that Lou will never even think of trading Elias.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:14 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

1. Re-sign Zach Parise long term
2. Re-sign Zach Parise long term
3. Hire Pete DeBoer
4. Draft Larsson/Landeskog/Couturier
5. TRY to dump Rolston, if you can't no big deal
6. Slavador retires and becomes "Special Assignment Scout"
7. Re-sign Greene on the cheap ($2M/season)
8. Make a pitch for a PMD, dump Clarkson if you need cap space
9. Sign a goalie, I really don't care who

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:56 AM
apice3*

1. DeBoer or Muller. Oates will probably be moved if the new coach wants to bring in his own crew.

2. Defense was 8th in the league. It was better than given credit for. Taormina, Salmela, Fayne, and Greene are the short term PMD options. We'll see from there.

3. Brodeur isn't bad. Had a bad year. He's past his prime but he'll be fine. Hedberg or another veteran to backup.

4. Parise will re-sign for 5+ years, 6-7 mil cap hit.

5. Larsson. If gone, Couturier or Landeskog. Devils draft best player available.

6. Retire or end his career on LTIR.

This thread will likely get moved to the Devils board.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't think there was anything wrong with Oates.

Lou will try to address the issue of offence from the defence. My guess is he looks for a trade.

I'm not worried about goaltending yet. We should sign a backup capable of playing several weeks competently as a starter, if Marty goes down. I'd be fine with Moose again.

I don't think there's anything to worry about with Parise. He'll re-sign, and long term at that.

I think we'll end up with either Couturier or Landeskog with the 4th pick. Either way, the player we pick will be sent back to juniors. I highly doubt he'll be on the NHL team next season.

I think Salvador will retire. Either that, or he will rehab in the minors and never be brought back up. I don't think he will play on the NHL Devils again.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Whether the Devils draft, Larsson, Landeskog or Couturier, they will need to clear space if they add one them to the line-up.

Best opitions to move, Clarkson, Zubrus or Colin White. Rolston being a very big long shot.

Resign Parise and if possible add a UFA defensemen: Pitkanen, Ehrhoff or even Eric Brewer, whom I like.

Coach is a difficult one. I doubt Lou goes the rookie route again, although, I like Kirk Muller, but I can see Michel Therrien as our next coach.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:31 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Whether the Devils draft, Larsson, Landeskog or Couturier, they will need to clear space if they add one them to the line-up.

Best opitions to move, Clarkson, Zubrus or Colin White. Rolston being a very big long shot.

Resign Parise and if possible add a UFA defensemen: Pitkanen, Ehrhoff or even Eric Brewer, whom I like.

Coach is a difficult one. I doubt Lou goes the rookie route again, although, I like Kirk Muller, but I can see Michel Therrien as our next coach.
Unless it's Larsson I don't see our pick making the team this year.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Unless it's Larsson I don't see our pick making the team this year.
even if its him, they may opt to give him one more yr in the SEL logging top minutes

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:20 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Why no love for Oates? What were his duties?

04-22-2011, 09:20 AM
JimEIV

I was playing around with dollars and I figure the devils can spend about 5 million on defense and still do a 7million dollar contract for Parise without a problem.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
joe89

No idea about the coach, but I doubt they'll go for an unproven one again with a SC quality team(I think they are).

Throw money at Ehrhoff if he hits the market.

Re-sign Hedberg for $1-1.2M one-year again. He's loyal, dependable and most importantly the type of guy you want in a locker room. Devils' goaltending will be fine as long as the team plays how it's supposed to.

Sign Parise to Kovy-like caphit for 5 years.

Draft the best forward on the table.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
BeastoftheEast85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
2nd assistant. Offense and PP. Both of which were terrible this year. I don't really blame Oates for that though.

Old
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
We're just skeptical of giving young assistants with little to no head coaching experience.

Old
04-22-2011, 12:01 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
He was in charge of the PP, essentially. Considering that was basically his only duty, he did an awful job, as the Devils would routinely have shotless powerplays that seemed incredibly out-of-synch

Old
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastoftheEast85 View Post
2nd assistant. Offense and PP. Both of which were terrible this year. I don't really blame Oates for that though.
I don't blame Oates as much as I blame having two rookie NHL coaches behind the bench.

Old
04-22-2011, 03:08 PM
NJD1982

Quote:
I'd actually like to see him come back.

NJD1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils3034 View Post
He was in charge of the PP, essentially. Considering that was basically his only duty, he did an awful job, as the Devils would routinely have shotless powerplays that seemed incredibly out-of-synch
I'll give whoever coaches our PP the benefit of the doubt until Lou brings in a real PPQB. The 5 forward PP needs to end.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

1. Hitchcock/Muller
2. Larsson/Ehroff if we're EXTREMELY fortunate. (stars and planets align etc.) Or noone.
3. Wedgewood may be moved to AHL if age permits. Backup will be one of the usual suspects.
4. Parise goes nowhere. Signs for less than Kovalchuk.
5. One of Larsson, Lando, Couturier, or Huberdeau.
6. He's gone. Was already speculated he's had his last game for the Devils.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

A lot of 'hopes and dreams' need to be answered to fill this roster out. I'm really curious what Lou will do this summer.

You've got 7M in space (according to capgeek) to sign Parise, who should take most of it, and a few others. I wonder if he can take a loss on a player like Zubrus and use that space. It could open a spot for Couturier to play and absorb his hit. Very tough off season for LL.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote