HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bryzgalov doesn't like Winnipeg

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
It would be a little funny if half the Coyotes bailed if they move, so after years of stalking a playoff caliber team Winnipeg finally gets... A lottery pick in its first year.
This would please me greatly.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
How dare an impending unrestricted free agent express a preference for certain types of locations and an aversion to others! Who does he think he is to not bow down before the city of Winnipeg and humbly ask them to accept him?

Old
04-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Guy Germaine

no parks?? I guesse Bryz has never been to beautiful Central Park in DT Winnipeg. Rivals the one in NY.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:14 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

The guy's a bit of a ham.

It remains to be seen whether this is in fact, serious or not.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:16 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowdypants View Post
Good, We do not want a goalie that buckles in the playoffs. Det is a good team but he didn't give his team a chance to win. His contract is up and his performance these playoffs is gonna hurt his value big time... I hope this pre Madonna ends up in the KHL.
Seeing as you don't even have a hockey team, your not really in a position to say you wouldn't want him seeing as he's a better goalie then you'd be able to get.

Old
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
The guy's a bit of a ham.

It remains to be seen whether this is in fact, serious or not.
Depends on the $$$$. That being said, I'm sure there are many places a pro athlete would rather not go to.

Old
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebelanger View Post
Winnipeg people might be offended, but you can't fault a guy for how he feels. Some people just don't like certain places. He's speaking his mind, good for him. I highly doubt sentiments like this will affect Winnipeg getting a team or not.
I was born and raised in Winnipeg, [mod] the people who pimp that city out are the local folks who think its the greatest city ever.

The only thing I loved about Winnipeg was the Jets and my childhood, the rest...forget about it.

Have people forgotten how Winnipeg was a doormat to jokes from players not wanting to play there?

You thought Edmonton was bad, Winnipeg was worse.....way worse.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-21-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: offensive
Old
04-21-2011, 02:21 PM
wedge

when they'll see the passion of the fans in Winnipeg vs the passion of the fans in Phoenix they'll go "meh, it's not so bad".

Old
04-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Considering the fact that this guy voted for himself for the Russian players Kharlamov Trophy I have to question his character. And he voted for himself 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I have no problem with someone who wants to speak honestly so no problem with that aspect but yea I gotta think he is somewhat of a "pre Madonna" [lol].

Old
04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
SnowBlue

I thought he mentioned the KHL do to the cold comparison. So if the weather is going to suck, he might as well go to Russia to be with friends and family.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebelanger View Post
Winnipeg people might be offended, but you can't fault a guy for how he feels. Some people just don't like certain places. He's speaking his mind, good for him. I highly doubt sentiments like this will affect Winnipeg getting a team or not.
Not offended in the least, because all of the players who have said they wouldn't like to play here, at some point in the interview, have shown that they really have no clue about Winnipeg. Bryzgalov has been here for a couple of games in the minors, and he acts as though he's an expert. Who knows if Belanger has ever been to Winnipeg. There are parks, there is entertainment for the kids, etc. It's not as glamourous as the big cities, but when players say that it's -40 all the time (it's not) and that there's nothing to do/city shuts down after 7/etc (it doesn't), just shows that a repuation from 1996 has carried over into 2011.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

Can't blame him.

Nobody wants to move to the prairie provinces, it's not very fascinating. And -40 C weather all week is a massive pain in the ass, it is really something that you do not want to deal with all the time when traveling.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Pretty frank words. But Bryz is very quotable. Especially when you ask him a question like that.

I don't think he'd seriously consider going to the KHL. With regards to exclusively Winnipeg vs. KHL, he'd choose KHL but he's a potential UFA and really isn't allegiant to any city right except Phoenix.

It would be a shame if the team moves and both Bryz and Doan aren't there anymore.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
HockeyCrazed101

I can't fault the guy for being honest though his opinion of the city seems to be based on limited exposure to the city and what it may offer. The ignorant part of me would say that I wouldn't want to move to Winnipeg either just based on its reputation. It's not like it's the option of moving to a better team in a city that you may not be excited about. If players were guaranteed to play on a team of contenders every year, I think a lot of them would overlook location. Being within the same team dynamic, I think location would probably become a bigger factor. I'd imagine living in Arizona is like a vacation for those guys with the weather, activities and nearby destinations. I'd probably feel a bit disappointed as well if I had to leave all of that behind for a city that didn't leave the best impression with me when I was there.

I do find it interesting that as a free agent, he only listed the option of playing in the KHL. Does he not expect a single other NHL team to make him an offer? Maybe I'm reading too much into that but it seems like he's seriously thinking of playing in the KHL regardless of the Phoenix situation.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

A player dislikes an area?! Burn that ungrateful son of a *****! Raaaaaaaaa

For serious though, he's allowed to dislike a place.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Briere Up There*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
Considering the fact that this guy voted for himself for the Russian players Kharlamov Trophy I have to question his character. And he voted for himself 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Wow did he really do that? That's awesome.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post

I have no problem with someone who wants to speak honestly so no problem with that aspect but yea I gotta think he is somewhat of a "pre Madonna" [lol].
That is hilarious!

Old
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
when they'll see the passion of the fans in Winnipeg vs the passion of the fans in Phoenix they'll go "meh, it's not so bad".
Uhm... wow.

I don't think a fanbases 'passion' really is even on the list when a free agent is looking where to sign. I imagine the list looks like this generally:

1) Does the team suck?
2) Does the town suck?
3) Does the management suck?
4) How much are they paying me again?

That's about it.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
It would be a little funny if half the Coyotes bailed if they move, so after years of stalking a playoff caliber team Winnipeg finally gets... A lottery pick in its first year.
I don't think they would mind.

Bryzgalov is an ass.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Belgican

I find the Bryz comments just disgusting , and offending, besides he will be an UFA, he doesn't even have to go there

Old
04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Sorry but this makes him sound like a total ******. Time to man yup and play where your team is. All the crap about no russians etc to talk to, I have a feeling there is not a huge russian population in Phoenix.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Atleast hes honest. I see Winnipeg being Edmonton 2.0, but worse.
pretty much. least edmonton has some attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgican View Post
I find the Bryz comments just disgusting , and offending, besides he will be an UFA, he doesn't even have to go there
hes allowed to have his opinion

Old
04-21-2011, 02:42 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Uhm... wow.

I don't think a fanbases 'passion' really is even on the list when a free agent is looking where to sign. I imagine the list looks like this generally:

1) Does the team suck?
2) Does the town suck?
3) Does the management suck?
4) How much are they paying me again?

That's about it.
Some players have said that they'd like to play in a "hockey market", but overall those are probably the two things. Winnipeg probably wouldn't be much different than most NHL teams on points 1, 3, and 4, and the preconceived notions of Winnipeg as a city would affect number 2.

Old
04-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
What is going to happen is the exact same thing that happened when the Jets landed in the NHL in '79. After a year or two, they grow to love and appreciate the city. They even buy homes and cottages on one of the 100,000 lakes that are found to the north and east of the city. They meet local girls and marry them. They participate in local charities like Goals For Kids, the Jets Wives Carnival, etc. and become directly involved in the community. Some retire to stay and live in the city, and even go on to become MPs, or candidates, for local ridings. Talk to Dale Hawerchuk, Laurie Boschman (sp?), Dave Ellett, Thomas Steen, Eddie Olczyk, Bob Essensa, Kris King, and on and on and on and these players will tell you what it's REALLY like to play in Winnipeg. The truth will hurt so many of you.

Mod: deleted.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-21-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: report bashing posts
Old
04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

He's a UFA, so he has a choice where he does and does not play.

I know it is shocking that people are offended when players take advantage of where they work and live based on factors like the climate and the town...

Closed Thread