HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bryzgalov doesn't like Winnipeg

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2011, 02:33 PM
  #551
ShippinUpToBoston
Don't Poke The Bear
 
ShippinUpToBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Plymouth, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 697
vCash: 500
Are players happy playing in front of half empty arenas? It's great that the fans in Phoenix came out and supported the team lately but where have they been the last 15 years? I don't doubt that there are serious hockey fans in Arizona but how many are there? If I was playing in the NHL I would want to play for a city that appreciates the game, like Winnipeg. You have all off-season to go somewhere warm, I guess Bryz would rather be warm year round.

ShippinUpToBoston is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 02:47 PM
  #552
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
I think its funny that you say that it's only cold 3 months of the year after it was snowing last week and crappy outside just yesterday. People are losing their minds every day because of flooding. The weather is better in Phoenix, or at least it's a non-issue most of the time.

And those chicks walking around in bikinis in April are only going to get you 5 hours in line at the free clinic on St. James.
Well as I'm typing this it's sunny and +15, and with the exception of a few days in the last month it's been warm and sunny. No you can't wear shorts here in January, but if you can get through the 3 coldest months, it isn't that bad.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  #553
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShippinUpToBoston View Post
Are players happy playing in front of half empty arenas? It's great that the fans in Phoenix came out and supported the team lately but where have they been the last 15 years? I don't doubt that there are serious hockey fans in Arizona but how many are there? If I was playing in the NHL I would want to play for a city that appreciates the game, like Winnipeg. You have all off-season to go somewhere warm, I guess Bryz would rather be warm year round.
Considering most players have made their way through the minors, plus some time in the AHL, both of which have less people show up than even the worst NHL attendance, I don't think it makes a big difference. It certainly doesn't effect their ability to play the game.

Blueline Bomber is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:05 PM
  #554
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Considering most players have made their way through the minors, plus some time in the AHL, both of which have less people show up than even the worst NHL attendance, I don't think it makes a big difference. It certainly doesn't effect their ability to play the game.
Maybe not, but lots of players have admitted that this is the top league in the world and it is somewhat discouraging to play in front of 9,000 fans on a daily basis in certain cities.

htpwn is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:12 PM
  #555
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,565
vCash: 500
And at the same time, other players have said they like the anonymity that playing in those cities give. Attendance has very little effect on the players. It's probably one of the last things they think of. They care about the area they're living in and their family.

Blueline Bomber is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:13 PM
  #556
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
I unfortunately have to go to Winnipeg every few years (since my sister lives there) and it's so DEAD. It's more lively in places like windsor and Quebec city than it is in the largest city in Manitoba. Not only is it boring and cold.. it's SCARY! There are some really shifty looking people there.
Agreed.

I went there for a wedding for a few days and agree with all this. It's an underwhelming and a boring place, the downtown is dead and there isn't much going on in that city. It's not a dump, just not a very exciting or enjoyable place.

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:14 PM
  #557
Seanahue
Registered User
 
Seanahue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 50
I love all the Winnipeg hate....especially from a guy who has been here twice and was outside for all of 30 seconds (assuming this...since he said he used the walkways). Is Winnipeg cold in Winter....YES!!!! VERY COLD!!! It reached -50 C....do you know how cold that is? Let me put it this way. We had someone come up from Texas to do some training. Here is a video he made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyTq1B4x3fY


That's right....the hot water turned into snow like THAT. Does it suck? Yes....very much so but we live with it....we go play hockey on outdoor rinks in -40 and -50 because we love hockey. If Bryzshdabada or however you spell his name does not want to play here then so be it.....but there are others out there that will. How many young kids out there dream of playing hockey in 1/2 full arenas?

I can understand the mentality of some players when it comes to the weather but to say there is nothing to do in Winnipeg is just sheer idiocy. Summer in Manitoba is also amazing. If you like fishing/canoeing/anything outdoors.....the Whiteshell is for you.

Seanahue is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:16 PM
  #558
Seanahue
Registered User
 
Seanahue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Well as I'm typing this it's sunny and +15, and with the exception of a few days in the last month it's been warm and sunny. No you can't wear shorts here in January, but if you can get through the 3 coldest months, it isn't that bad.
This year has given us a long Winter. Last year I was golfing on March 31st. The conditions were crap but it was golf :p

Seanahue is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:20 PM
  #559
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
Summer in Manitoba is also amazing. If you like fishing/canoeing/anything outdoors.....the Whiteshell is for you.
Well considering that most players spend the whole summer someplace else than the city they play in the summer issue doesn't really matter. It's all about the winters.

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:20 PM
  #560
Universe
Eh?
 
Universe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
If someone was paying me 5-6 million till my career was over at the age of 35ish to 40ish, I'd even go to Iraq to play.

Hockey is a job and just like the average Joe, sometimes you gotta move for your work.

Universe is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:24 PM
  #561
Seanahue
Registered User
 
Seanahue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Well considering that most players spend the whole summer someplace else than the city they play in the summer issue doesn't really matter. It's all about the winters.
I understand that. I am just pointing out that there are things to do in Manitoba year round.

Seanahue is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:39 PM
  #562
drs151
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Preisst;32600638]They're being paid millions of dollars to chase that piece of rubber, they should appreciate the life they get to live just cuz they happen to be good at playing a game, acting like a preMadonna [lol] about it is very unbecoming.

That said I do appreciate him being honest about it and not just speaking cliche.





What does Saskatchewan have to do with a city in Manitoba getting a hockey team?


I live in south eastern saskathewan, and without a doubt you will see alot of sask people at the winnipeg games. Places like Regina are about 5.5 hours from Winnipeg and its a city people are much more familiar with than Calgary or Edmonton Saskatoon people go to Edmonton for games but if you live in the south eastern corner and regina you are looking at a pretty far drive to an NHL game. Winnipeg is an easy drive from Regina, have done it many times, as compared to Calgary or Edmonton. I guess its only about 7.5 to Calgary but anyone living in the yorkton,melville,weyburn,estevan areas are going to go even people from Regina I thnk are more likely to make the trek to Winnipeg that other cities.

I also think Saskatchewan identifies well with Manitoba. We see ourselves as the same province. From all the talk I hear out in saskatchewan it feels like if Winnipeg gets a team its almost as much of a victory for us. But alls I know living in the south eastern corner (yorkton for me) its going to be awesome for Winnipeg to get a team. We are 10+ hours from calgary and edmonton and 12+ to Minny


Last edited by drs151: 04-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
drs151 is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:44 PM
  #563
dkehler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Apparently, Bryzgalov, genius that he is, now is concerned about getting "Russian salami". Too bad he doesn't realize there's a Russian deli market about five minutes from the MTS Centre.

The guy must be joking when he says these things about Winnipeg because he's been dead wrong, comically so, on every one of his complaints other than the cold.

dkehler is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 03:48 PM
  #564
drs151
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Considering most players have made their way through the minors, plus some time in the AHL, both of which have less people show up than even the worst NHL attendance, I don't think it makes a big difference. It certainly doesn't effect their ability to play the game.
True, but when you play in the AHL its like that it most places. But when you play in the NHL so many teams have awesome fans, so I dont see how its not a little discouraging when you get back home frome a long road trip and you dont have an amped up crowd to give you're body a little jolt.

drs151 is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 04:07 PM
  #565
Preisst
Party On!!
 
Preisst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
I live in south eastern saskathewan, and without a doubt you will see alot of sask people at the winnipeg games. Places like Regina are about 5.5 hours from Winnipeg and its a city people are much more familiar with than Calgary or Edmonton Saskatoon people go to Edmonton for games but if you live in the south eastern corner and regina you are looking at a pretty far drive to an NHL game. Winnipeg is an easy drive from Regina, have done it many times, as compared to Calgary or Edmonton. I guess its only about 7.5 to Calgary but anyone living in the yorkton,melville,weyburn,estevan areas are going to go even people from Regina I thnk are more likely to make the trek to Winnipeg that other cities.

I also think Saskatchewan identifies well with Manitoba. We see ourselves as the same province. From all the talk I hear out in saskatchewan it feels like if Winnipeg gets a team its almost as much of a victory for us. But alls I know living in the south eastern corner (yorkton for me) its going to be awesome for Winnipeg to get a team. We are 10+ hours from calgary and edmonton and 12+ to Minny
I appreciate all of this, it was just that in the post I quoted it sounded like you were saying Winnipeg/Manitoba had the highest amount of hockey players per capita when in fact it is Saskatchewan, so no disagreement from me.

btw - GO RIDERS GO!!!!!!!

Preisst is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
  #566
lockstock
Registered User
 
lockstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kauai
Country: United States
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Bryz is awesome. Don't you guys in Winnipeg have anything better to do than to overreact to his comments? Oh. Winnipeg. Right. Carry on.

lockstock is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 05:01 PM
  #567
dkehler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Phoenix has outdrawn Winnipeg 13/15 years.

Winnipeg was getting 11k, 12k ,13k every year. Phoenix has been getting 15k 13k 14k every year. Accept this year and last year, when we had 12k and 11k, but no owner.

Phoenix has more fans that Winnipeg. Attendance proves it.
And yet lost more money than Winnipeg ever did every single year. Congratulations!

Maybe those attendees should have been paying actual NHL prices for their tickets, eh?

Maybe the Canadian clubs will continue to subsidize your rock-bottom ticket prices for you, if it's not too late, that is.

dkehler is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
  #568
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,186
vCash: 500
Also, what % of the people who come to see the Yotes really come to see the opposing team? Florida and Phoenix are the prime franchises for "exiles reconnecting with their hometown teams".

I wouldn't be shocked that if of the small percentage of people in Phoenix who give a damn about hockey to begin with, about half don't even really care about the Yotes.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now  
Old
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
  #569
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 131
This thread is hilarious. On second thought, I'm glad it's being kept around for a couple of reasons.

A) It will be a good comical read in a few years time when all this crap is behind us, and players playing in Winnipeg will identify with the city and will find out it's not the place the Winnipeg-bashers are making it out to be, just like all of the previous Winnipeg Jets experienced. Plus we will all be reminded of all the classess morons that post their anti-Winnipeg vial here simply because it's the "in" thing to do at the moment; and

B) It acts as a troll magnet for all the anti-Winnipeg bashers to come and congregate and spew their igornace towards a city that they either barely know or have never been to. This will help to keep the TNSE thread clear of trolls.

Carry on with the hate............................................

Puckschmuck* is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
  #570
Seanahue
Registered User
 
Seanahue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
Bryz is awesome. Don't you guys in Winnipeg have anything better to do than to overreact to his comments? Oh. Winnipeg. Right. Carry on.
We sit there infatuated with the prospect of getting a team back. While waiting, a play comes out and ignorantly portrays Winnipeg in an unjust negative light. We are just supposed to shut up about it and not defend our city? Not gonna happen.

The people of Winnipeg love hockey. I am glad that the people of Phoenix cannot say the same.

Seanahue is offline  
Old
04-23-2011, 05:23 PM
  #571
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Okay, we've beaten this horse to a thousand deaths.

If you wish to discuss financial matters, you guys know the drill and the board to use.

If you're a Coyotes fan wanting a respite from the insanity, you have your own team board.


Nothing more can come from this thread that won't require even more work from the mods. Guys, go watch some playoff hockey.



Closed.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.