HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 Pros & Cons

Old
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Improvise
Old School

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Game 3 Pros & Cons

Cons:
  • The national anthem. That guy was absolutely horrid milking every verse in the anthem like that.
  • Board play - I still don't think the Sharks are giving it everything they got to fight for pucks on the boards. Kings were able to dominate and get "lucky" bounces in the 1st period because they crash the net with the puck aggressively.
  • Finishing checks - I am not seeing the Sharks finish their checks like I've been seeing around the NHL in these playoffs. They played soft in the 1st period and started throwing their weight around and skating harder to the puck in the 2nd and we all saw what happened.
  • 1st line gets no forecheck whatsoever. When they do generate a turnover, Joe Thornton usually returns the favor.
  • Tempo & pace in the 1st period. Pretty obvious. The Sharks need to pick up their tempo the moment the puck drops. This means finishing checks, getting a forecheck, and winning pucks on the boards. This is where playoff games are won. It is entire related to effort and linemates working together.
  • Dan Boyle needs to do a better job of taking care of the puck on both ends. Looks like he is skating too much and trying to do too much.
  • Joe Thornton - Started throwing his weight around in the 2nd which is great because I don't care if a guy plays like crap as long as he plays like crap at full speed.
  • Faceoffs - Sharks dominated there after that 1st period and it was crucial towards generating puck possession and gaining momentum.

Pros:
  • Ryan Clowe, Logan Couture, and Joe Pavelski. These guys are prime examples of playoff hockey players. Not the fastest or biggest but they work hard every shift. That is why they've consistently been the best Sharks this season/playoff.
  • Ian White - Our most consistent DMan. Plays within himself. Knows what to do with the puck and where to be most of the time.
  • Doug Murray - Is playing physical and skating hard. I really wish more guys would finish checks hard like Murray does. I feel like the Sharks don't have enough guys playing this brand of physical playoff hockey right now.
  • Tempo & Pace - The effort in the 2nd period showed us how good this team can be but it is entirely up to them.
  • Coaching - Pretty obvious that T-Mac outcoached Murray in this game.
  • Penalty kill - Much better last night all around.
  • Shutting down Doughty & Johnson - couldn't have asked for more.

We all know this team has heart and will not quit. But we also know this team can and will lay an egg here and there. The goal is to consistently win every shift. All that means is to out hustle the other line every time you hit the ice. All it takes is 1 or 2 bad shifts for the momentum to change. It is about time the Sharks realize that playoff hockey is played at one pace.

Feel free to add your own or critique any of mine.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:07 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Wellwood should be added to the pros list, he put out tons of effort last night. Crashing the net, and staying on the puck whenever it was near him. He also generated a ton of chances including the trickling puck in the crease that would have made it 6-5 in the third.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Good point. I was going to talk about him actually but just forgot. His puck control was outstanding, a highlight of the night.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
SJGoalie32

Con: Totally careless with the puck. Too many basic fundamental miscues, too many ill-advised passes, too many bad decisions, too little attention to details. So many terrible decisions exacerbated by so much terrible execution. Even ignoring all the god-awful defensive turnovers, when you get a 3-on-2 rush with the puck on the stick of supposedly your best puckhandler and he flat out gives it to the defender?!?!? Inexcusable.

Pro: Tenacity, resilience, and I'd dare say, heart. This team did not fold up shop and give up, even when things looked their bleakest. No other prior Sharks team would've found a way to win either of these OT games. Still unfortunately making enough costly mistakes and terrible decisions so as to effectively give periods and entire games away, but it does seem like they are now fighting harder to overcome their mistakes rather than just giving up after them.

Still have a lot of questions about their decisions and their execution, but the passion, effort, and will all seem to be there.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
freddypuck

Demers And Vlasic Should Be On The Pros List, Demers Was Outstanding Lasr Night

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
SJeasy

RIP

1-1-2

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Cons

Joe Thornton needs to turn it up a notch intensity wise..we began too see it in the 2nd and 3rd and OT but we need it all the time.

No more drop passes.

Too many fly by's on the forecheck, they need to make guys like Doughty and Johnson pay for puck retrieval.

Pros

They never quit. Even down 4-0 they just pulled up the boot straps and went to work.

Vlasic, Demers and Boyle all played huge games last night.

Face-offs.

Discipline, they didn't take any silly roughings or cross checks.

Pk was much better.

Clowe's line, Pavs line once again were awesome. Even Heatley is skating hard.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:03 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
RIP

1-1-2
That's pretty much my biggest PRO coming outta last night's game!

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Naki

Quote:
RIP

1-1-2
Its not dead yet.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
sjsharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNK View Post
Pros
Clowe's line, Pavs line once again were awesome. Even Heatley is skating hard.
He is it's like the switch in his head clicked over, there was one play by him that stood out, he lost the puck in the O-zone and then backchecked on the puck carrier, stick lifted and took the puck off the man, and then skated it back down on the attack. I know its one play but its not something that you see Heatley do every game.

sjsharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
SactoShork
SYMSL

vCash: 3000
Quote:
RIP

1-1-2
Amazing how the fans were about 83 games ahead of the coaching staff on this one.

Pro: The Sharks have proved for the 2nd time in 3 games that they can play like **** for 20 minutes and still win.

Con: The Sharks have proved for the 2nd time in 3 games that they can play like **** for 20 minutes and still win.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 03:31 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Pro: The Sharks have proved for the 2nd time in 3 games that they can play like **** for 20 minutes and still win.

Con: The Sharks have proved for the 2nd time in 3 games that they can play like **** for 20 minutes and still win.
Spent the last 16 hours or so trying to sum up my feelings about this game and my strange combination of excitement and frustration over that game to no avail, and I think you just described it perfectly and succinctly.

Thank you. I shall now sleep soundly tonight.

Old
04-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

It's frustrating how the Sharks have played like **** for the majority of this series and have a 2-1 lead. Imagine if they were playing great? break out the brooms.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:11 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNK View Post
It's frustrating how the Sharks have played like **** for the majority of this series and have a 2-1 lead. Imagine if they were playing great? break out the brooms.
That's gotta be way more frustrating for the kings, who have dominated more than 2/3s the periods and are down 1-2.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:15 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Pro: our team has a lot of leaders.

Con: our Captain is not one of those leaders

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Con: Spelling Ryane 'Ryan'.

Pro:

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
DoubleMinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Amazing how the fans were about 83 games ahead of the coaching staff on this one.

Well put Sacto.. Well put. Seriously! You couldnt have spelled it out any clearer.

Im happy they won last night, dont get me wrong. But even after the game winning goal by Seto in OT, I was still pissed off. To be honest, I still am alittle ticked.

DoubleMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
chris39bong

Pros
As others have already said, White and Demers had very solid games. Wellwood also really elevated his level of play on the offensive end. JT dominated in the faceoff circle.

Wallin had a so-so game (better than average for him), but i can't wait for Huskins to come back and replace him.

Cons
JT still needs to rely less on setting up teamates for onetimers.
Niemi needs to step up

Besides the 2nd period, the Kings D have done a great job quickly getting pucks out of their zone. Quick has also played a big factor there, intercepting dump ins and getting it to the open defender. Sharks have been just the opposite. Neither Neimi nor Nitty can stop a dump in or pass cleanly to one of the dmen, causing the Sharks to spend valuable time and energy trapped in their zone.

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Wallin was terrible out there

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Dwight Schrude

pro: coutures celebration of relief.

con: wallin has no handles nd he just flat out sucks

Dwight Schrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleMinor View Post
Well put Sacto.. Well put. Seriously! You couldnt have spelled it out any clearer.

Im happy they won last night, dont get me wrong. But even after the game winning goal by Seto in OT, I was still pissed off. To be honest, I still am alittle ticked.
You know, I say this a little cheekily, but I'm kinda curious to know whether or not any fans of the 3 other teams to come back from that 4-0 deficit in a playoff game ('71 Canadiens, '82 Kings, '85 North Stars) are as seemingly upset that their team came back to win the game as our fans seem to be.

To be perfectly honest, I think I actually felt angrier as the game went on and the were getting closer and closer to completing the comeback.

At least when they were down 4-0, I had this feeling of just helpless resignation. It was a liberating feeling of acceptance. Like, this is just who the team is. The Kings are just going to outwork the Sharks the entire series, and as a fan you just have to accept it. You really can't ask this Sharks team to perform in the playoffs any more than you could ask Alex Smith to throw 350 yards with 4 TD's and no picks every game. They are who they are.

So depressing though it was watch, there's no sense in being upset that they were losing to a team that simply outperformed them.

But then they started coming back, and suddenly it was like, "Oh......so you ARE actually capable of completely steamrolling the Kings whenever you want. Ahh, I see........so why in the ******ing *****-itty ***** ****** ***** did it take you guys a game and a half to decide to start playing up to your potential??!!! Where was this performance in the 1st period.....or anytime during Game 3?!"

I've said this before and I'll say it again.....in sports, as in life, I don't generally fault people for failing to do things I know they are incapable of doing. I do, however, fault people for failing to do the things that are well within their ability but they choose not to.

Old
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
SJSharkzie

Pros: How's that for compete level?

Cons: Team looked dead in the 1st period and part of the early 2nd, Niemi gave up a softie or two and had to be pulled, Jumbo has yet to have a solid game...

Impressed by Nittymaki's play after coming in for niemi.

SJSharkzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Pros: Really only Thornton and Marleau have yet failed to elevate their game (throw in Niemi too)

Vlasic, Demers and White have stepped up BIG time. Marc Edouard Vlasic welcome to the stage of big time defensemen.

Heatley has always showed up for the playoffs. His effort is undeniable, and he definitely is being respected whenever he's on the ice.

Everyone on the 2nd and 3rd lines have stepped up, Wellwood most notably.

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleMinor View Post
Having been on both ends of this (last night being the wrong end) with the Stunner at Staples and Miracle on Machester, believe me, you will get over it. Even if you lose the series, in time you'll forget about how they got in that position and will only remember that they came back to win this particular game.

Winning, in the end, is really all that matters.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Mhoogasian94123

I opinion on Kyle Wellwood.....

I think Kyle Wellwood is a pro and a con
Pro: His puck handling and passing were excellent
Con: He wouldn't take a shot. There were several instances that he could've taken a shot in the 3rd and OT but fumbled the puck away.

In the end, his game was great and getting him off waivers makes him a huge value for this team. I hope he picks up his shooting because we could use some more SOG.
GREAT COMEBACK SHARKS!!!!

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote