HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff calls Flyers whiners (si.com)

Old
04-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Ruff calls Flyers whiners (si.com)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Found this in the SI.com headlines. The article is actually pretty short and doesn't have much details. But, could the Flyers really have anything to complain about? This is coming a game after they hit Kaleta with an elbow to the head and Gerbe gets a stick (jab and pull) to the groin after the game was over.

That's not even to mention they had a whole period on the PP in this series. If anyone should be complaining its Buffalo.

BTW, did neither Richards nor Timonen get even a fine? That's setting an aweful precedent for a series that has already gotten pretty chippy. If Timonen doesn't get punished I want every Flyer players' "berries" laying on the ice before Friday night is over. Hey NHL, you are sending the message this is acceptable. Be careful what you wish for.

As for Richards, I can see the case for it being a defensive move, but allowing a player to put an elbow into the face of every forechecker "in self defense" is also asking for trouble. I understand he got 5 minutes, but had Kaleta gotten more injured then what? Another case of the NHL punishing based on the injury caused to the victim not the action of the offender.

Last edited by Digable5: 04-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Digable5

Adding more fuel to my fire is this article from NHL.com that is written as if by the Philadelphia media.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560528

Could that be more lopsided coverage from the league?

Old
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Adding more fuel to my fire is this article from NHL.com that is written as if by the Philadelphia media.

Well, Kimelman did write this and this. Also, his Twitter feed only talks about the Flyers and RTs Flyers-related bits.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
TehDoak
Goin Streakin

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
oooooo boy. 30 page thread on NHL playoff board inc

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:21 PM
zbubble

Quote:

I think that guy is from Philly media.

It doesn't bother me. For years we read pro-Buffalo things coming from Jim Kelley's columns and still see that on the Bills side from Carrucci and Graham even though they are 'national' now.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:21 PM
sabresfan129103

while the fans might not have done it, the Sabres and Ruff took the high road regarding all the calls the Flyers got in the 1st 2 games. Now the Flyers don't get a couple of calls and they start crying. I don't blame Ruff one bit.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
mgeise

Quote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Found this in the SI.com headlines. The article is actually pretty short and doesn't have much details. But, could the Flyers really have anything to complain about? This is coming a game after they hit Kaleta with an elbow to the head and Gerbe gets a stick (jab and pull) to the groin after the game was over.

That's not even to mention they had a whole period on the PP in this series. If anyone should be complaining its Buffalo.

BTW, did neither Richards nor Timonen get even a fine? That's setting an aweful precedent for a series that has already gotten pretty chippy. If Timonen doesn't get punished I want every Flyer players' "berries" laying on the ice before Friday night is over. Hey NHL, you are sending the message this is acceptable. Be careful what you wish for.

As for Richards, I can see the case for it being a defensive move, but allowing a player to put an elbow into the face of every forechecker "in self defense" is also asking for trouble. I understand he got 5 minutes, but had Kaleta gotten more injured then what? Another case of the NHL punishing based on the injury caused to the victim not the action of the offender.
I can't believe Timonen didn't get a game. Downie gets a game for a charge (I understand he has a reputation) but then Timonen doesn't get a game for using his stick as a weapon after the final whistle? That's completely ridiculous.

Want to see the most biased article I've seen so far this series? http://www.csnphilly.com/04/21/11/Sa...09&feedID=6332

Quote:
Kimmo Timonen estimated Nathan Gerbe speared him five times.

Timonen almost never gets angry on the ice, yet near the end of the game, he got piled onto and was punched in the back.

ďSome things happen after the whistle and I usually donít get mad, but once things get out of control, hitting behind, hitting to the hands, hitting after the whistle to your calves, those are things I canít take,Ē Timonen said. ďSometimes, you get emotional about it.Ē
No mention of Timonen's crotch shot at all, only indirect references.

Quote:
The officials allowed outright thuggery in Game 4.
Nice unbiased quote from the author.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
Well, Kimelman did write this and this. Also, his Twitter feed only talks about the Flyers and RTs Flyers-related bits.
Thanks. Where's the NHL.com Staff Writer focused on the Sabres' article then? Kinda BS if you ask me. I know its not that big of a deal, but favoritism from a supposedly non-partial entity like the NHL isn't acceptable. If he's the only NHL person covering the game he ought to have both sides of the story.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Herman Hessian
Hyperbole Mania #1

nice to see that the Broad Street Bullies have become so emasculated and pathetic in the face of - what - Gerbe getting a little chippy and Pat Kaleta opening a freaking door - Dave Schultz must be so proud of them !

upshot is, as such a whiney disgrace to their former image, they need a new nickname that can endure beyond the playoffs, regardless of the outcome, to commemorate their snivelling new persona - thinking caps on, people.....

Herman Hessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I think that guy is from Philly media.

It doesn't bother me. For years we read pro-Buffalo things coming from Jim Kelley's columns and still see that on the Bills side from Carrucci and Graham even though they are 'national' now.
Having a few Buffalo comments (usually not single game specific) like Kelley used to do, or having an article focused on the organization/offseason moves I'd have no problem with. Writing about the physicality of a playoff game and the "dirty" play of the Sabres without even a comment/retourt from the Buffalo side is appalling.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
"I just feel that thereís a lot of whining," the Sabres' coach said in HSBC Arena. "Theyíre really doing a lot of whining. I didnít hear any whining when they had 10 power plays in Philly, and I didnít hear them whining when the power plays in the first game were lopsided. But all of sudden thereís all this whining about weíre getting away with murder. Thatís a bunch of crap. Thatís for the media. Thatís for the officials to read. Thatís for, 'Here, letís get the next call.' Itís a bunch of crap. Letís just play
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...f-whining.html

Like Lindy said at the start of the series, he misses Hitch'

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hessian View Post
nice to see that the Broad Street Bullies have become so emasculated and pathetic in the face of - what - Gerbe getting a little chippy and Pat Kaleta opening a freaking door - Dave Schultz must be so proud of them !

upshot is, as such a whiney disgrace to their former image, they need a new nickname that can endure beyond the playoffs, regardless of the outcome, to commemorate their snivelling new persona - thinking caps on, people.....
They can relocate to Connecticut and be the Hartford Wailers.

Old
04-21-2011, 04:39 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Having a few Buffalo comments (usually not single game specific) like Kelley used to do, or having an article focused on the organization/offseason moves I'd have no problem with. Writing about the physicality of a playoff game and the "dirty" play of the Sabres without even a comment/retourt from the Buffalo side is appalling.
You must have missed Kelley's takes on things like the Drury - Neil hit, or the Hull foot in the crease, or even the defense of the guy that owned nogoal.com in the NHL's lawsuit. Trust me, they went far away and above what anyone would have considered 'unbiased' reporting.

I think there are greater injustices in life, but maybe that's just me.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Herman Hessian
Hyperbole Mania #1

Quote:
They can relocate to Connecticut and be the Hartford Wailers.
i'd be more than happy with that (as long as Carcillo, Richards and Hartnell get lost in transit)

Old
04-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
You must have missed Kelley's takes on things like the Drury - Neil hit, or the Hull foot in the crease, or even the defense of the guy that owned nogoal.com in the NHL's lawsuit. Trust me, they went far away and above what anyone would have considered 'unbiased' reporting.

I think there are greater injustices in life, but maybe that's just me.
All of these articles were for his job as "NHL Staff Writer"? I admittedley was pretty young when I used to read his stuff regularly and from the Buffalo News so I'm sure I wasn't thinking about being impartial at the time.

Its certainly not a great injustice as things go, but certainly enough to get my blood boiling in the context of this series. But the bigger issue I am making is about the Flyers complaints despite what I feel are calls pretty lopsided in their favor.

Anyone have the penalty count for the series?

Old
04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
mechaphil

Sabres are at 28 or 30...Flyers are at 21 or 23.

Old
04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
barcs

The O'Donnell quote:

"It seems like some of their games seem to feel that a street fight is what gives them the best chance," defenseman Sean O'Donnell said told CSNPhilly.com following the game. "They seem to want to get in some shots and intimidation and for whatever reason they feel they can intimidate us and out-physical us."

I know O'Donnell is old.. but senile too? Wrong team, Sean.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Thanks!

Old
04-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:

Bigger market teams will always have the media on their side.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:10 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think it's really that bad... there's certainly been worse out there.

And really, the headline is awesome: Flyers look to engage physical Sabres in Game 5

Nice quote: It's not often a team willingly will go blow for blow with the Flyers, but not only have the Buffalo Sabres stood toe to toe with the them, they've landed more shots through four games of the teams' Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series.

Last edited by jlr: 04-21-2011 at 05:26 PM.
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:

Mike Richards quoted in that article:
Quote:
They're a team that's working really hard right now to get under our skin and luckily we're not letting them.
Okay Mike, whatever you say

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

God have you been on there fanpage on facebook.
They're like all ********.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Herman Hessian
Hyperbole Mania #1

Quote:
not quite:

game #1 - sabres 6 for 12 PIM - flyers 2 for 4 PIM

game #2 - sabres 13 for 29 PIM - flyers 11 for 25 PIM

game # 3 - sabres 5 for 10 PIM - flyers 8 for 16 PIM

game # 4 - sabres 6 for 12 PIM - flyers 7 for 17 PIM

totals - sabres 30 for 63 PIM - flyers 28 for 62 PIM

you have to admit, that is just a litany of horrific, bestial, one-sided violence perpetrated entirely by the sabres - fair play, flyers, your whining is entirely justified

Old
04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
mechaphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hessian View Post
not quite:

game #1 - sabres 6 for 12 PIM - flyers 2 for 4 PIM

game #2 - sabres 13 for 29 PIM - flyers 11 for 25 PIM

game # 3 - sabres 5 for 10 PIM - flyers 8 for 16 PIM

game # 4 - sabres 6 for 12 PIM - flyers 7 for 17 PIM

totals - sabres 30 for 63 PIM - flyers 28 for 62 PIM

you have to admit, that is just a litany of horrific, bestial, one-sided violence perpetrated entirely by the sabres - fair play, flyers, your whining is entirely justified

Yeah, I was going with just minors. But thanks for concrete total data.

Old
04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post
Mike Richards quoted in that article:

Okay Mike, whatever you say
I'd hate to see what Timonen would have done if we had gotten under his skin.