HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bondra offered 2 year contract

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Varada

vCash: 500
Bondra offered 2 year contract

Quote:
Courtesy of operasen(from the Sensnetwork Forum)
http://hokej.point.sk/spravy/?clanok=30344
No terms announced. He's not at all sure about accepting it. He's enjoying the summer.
Apperently a Slovakian paper claims the Sens have offered Bondra a two year deal. Bondra is considering it. For those who speak Slovak, the article is included.If the contract is reasonable, I like the move.

Old
07-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

I'd like to see him come back if...

1) it's under $2.5 mil
2) it doesn't prevent us from getting someone we actually need

Old
07-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Varada

Bondra makes sense only if they move out White, and bring in more toughness, ie Wiemer. In no way, do I want to see the reincarnation of the Bondra/White/Alfredson line.That line was way too soft!

Last edited by Varada: 07-08-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old
07-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Bondra-Smolinski-Alfredsson was a dynamite line for the single game it was used. It is rather soft, but it's not like every line has to have a hard noser on it.

Old
07-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Varada

At least smoke has a little size and doesn't spend half his shifts on his arse like White.

Old
07-08-2004, 11:56 PM
GoM

Come home, Peter...

Old
07-09-2004, 02:59 AM
The Hamburglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Bondra-Smolinski-Alfredsson was a dynamite line for the single game it was used. It is rather soft, but it's not like every line has to have a hard noser on it.
They used the same line two days later against Toronto and they did nothing. I don't remember if they used it in any other games past that.

I think the real reason that line did good against Montreal is because Alfie was making promises before that game, about "now we're really gonna play hockey and step it up blah blah" after that bad loss to Boston which essentially cost us the division....(now when I remember that Murray goal on Lalime, I find it hilarious rather than heartbreaking. Thank god he's gone)

Old
07-09-2004, 07:47 AM
rebedom

Boy, this is a tough call, Bondra brings speed and another offensive weapon into the mix and is considered very dependable defensively. BUT we all saw how the playoffs went this past spring and although Bondra was not alone in not doing anything offensively he did look scared and small out there and we really don't need another soft forward.

I have a feeling that they intend to put a Bondra Smolinski Alfredson line together again or replace Smolinski with White if they can move him. I just don't see them putting either Smolinski or White on a 4th line. White is an offensive player and had 60 points 2 yrs ago. Smolinski makes too much to be on the 4th line aka ... Bonk. Was anybody else suprised when the USA team picked Smoke to play in the World Cup? A new forward means White, Smoke, Schaefer or Langfeld could go.

I would prefer that the Sens go after signing Fedorov and grabbing Weimer off the UFA list, I think these two would make a world of difference. As well, signing these two makes a few other guys expendable which we could package into bringing a good defenceman to match with Redden. It's getting harder to know what they will do, but fun to keep guessing.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:55 AM
SENS_FAN_09

Send a message via MSN to SENS_FAN_09
Are we going to believe he can bounce back or cant bounce back? Well apparently Mucks and the rest of the sens do because of the offer.

Old
07-09-2004, 09:14 AM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENS_FAN_09
Are we going to believe he can bounce back or cant bounce back? Well apparently Mucks and the rest of the sens do because of the offer.
Bondra can provide immense leadership to Hossa and Chara.

While Bondra was ineffective against the Leafs, they are not the team to beat in the East. They might be the Sen achilles' heel but the real players in the East are Tampa, Philly and NJ, all of which Bondra can be effective against.

Old
07-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Chili

Muckler seems infatuated with players nearing the end of their career. He was a great player but those days are past. If he could adapt to being a role player (like a Dave Andreychuk) he could be of some value. But he didn't fit in last year and I don't see how that will change.

Old
07-09-2004, 09:40 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Muckler seems infatuated with players nearing the end of their career. He was a great player but those days are past. If he could adapt to being a role player (like a Dave Andreychuk) he could be of some value. But he didn't fit in last year and I don't see how that will change.
I think Bondra has some left still. He should be a second line player now, unless there was a glaring need on the top line. He potted 26 goals last season. He's good for 20-25 again, I think. That would be on top of Havlat/Hossa/Alfredsson's production. He isn't the go-to guy anymore, but he can still contribute with his speed and scoring. He pretty much bolstered the Sens PP. If the price is reasonable, I wouldn't mind Bondra as a threat in the Sens lineup.

Old
07-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Tock

Send a message via MSN to Tock
after training camp and everything, bondra will know his role....you guys watch, he'll be smokin'

Old
07-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Chili

Just to point out an example:

Peter Bondra : shots on goal

2001-02 333 (77 games)
2002-03 256 (76)
2003-04 188 (77)

His play is on the decline, he'll need to adapt to still be an effective player.

Old
07-09-2004, 10:31 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Just to point out an example:

Peter Bondra : shots on goal

2001-02 333 (77 games)
2002-03 256 (76)
2003-04 188 (77)

His play is on the decline, he'll need to adapt to still be an effective player.

That's because he isn't on the top line anymore. Check his ice time, I can guarantee that went down just like his shots. With ice time, come shots. He was on the 4th line for a while with the Capitals.

He would be here to score goals. He scored 26 last year, he's been a perennial 30 goal man. So he's lost a bit, he's still valuable to a team...

Old
07-09-2004, 10:45 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bucs
That's because he isn't on the top line anymore. Check his ice time, I can guarantee that went down just like his shots. With ice time, come shots. He was on the 4th line for a while with the Capitals.

He would be here to score goals. He scored 26 last year, he's been a perennial 30 goal man. So he's lost a bit, he's still valuable to a team...
Not to mention that playing on Ottawa will actually help his production, unlike playing in Washington with the big baby Jagr who had to have the puck the whole time. Bondra, on Ottawa's PP, and 1st or 2nd line will see his production increase over last year. Having him on the PK allows Ottawa to dump White if they want.

Old
07-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Chili

Quote:

2001-02 21:42
2002-03 18:53
2003-04 18:36

He's a player on the decline and by more than a bit. Yes he could be of value if he can adapt to playing a lesser role. I didn't see that in his time with the Sens. Some older players are able to adapt and some aren't.

Old
07-09-2004, 12:26 PM
chara

Quote:
2001-02 21:42
2002-03 18:53
2003-04 18:36

He's a player on the decline and by more than a bit. Yes he could be of value if he can adapt to playing a lesser role. I didn't see that in his time with the Sens. Some older players are able to adapt and some aren't.

If Mucks can convince a character guy like Bondra whose great with Chara and Hossa to take 2-2.5M when an underachiever like Rolston just got 3M and Shanny wants more than 4M, sounds like a bargain to me for a guy who averages close to 30 goals a year.

Old
07-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Chili

7 playoff games, no goals, no points.

Bondra's 30 goal days are probably over.

Old
07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
If Mucks can convince a character guy like Bondra whose great with Chara and Hossa to take 2-2.5M when an underachiever like Rolston just got 3M and Shanny wants more than 4M, sounds like a bargain to me for a guy who averages close to 30 goals a year.
Agreed. It all depends on the money Bondra would receive...

Old
07-09-2004, 12:45 PM
7bucs

Quote:
7 playoff games, no goals, no points.

Bondra's 30 goal days are probably over.
Big deal, 7 games. It's not like the other parts of the offense were clicking on all cylinders. Havlat had three points, zero goals. Alfie only had one goal. Hossa potted 3. The drop off to Bondra isn't that substantial. The guys that were supposed to carry the team through the playoffs didn't. Bondra isn't the only one to blame, the offense as a whole was horrible.

He's not being asked to be a 30 goal scorer anymore. 20 goals will be fine with me. Hossa/Havlat/Alfredsson and maybe Spezza are the ones being counted on for the 30 goal seasons...Bondra isn't the go-to guy on the Sens, not even close.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Chili

Quote:
Big deal, 7 games. It's not like the other parts of the offense were clicking on all cylinders. Havlat had three points, zero goals. Alfie only had one goal. Hossa potted 3. The drop off to Bondra isn't that substantial. The guys that were supposed to carry the team through the playoffs didn't. Bondra isn't the only one to blame, the offense as a whole was horrible.

He's not being asked to be a 30 goal scorer anymore. 20 goals will be fine with me. Hossa/Havlat/Alfredsson and maybe Spezza are the ones being counted on for the 30 goal seasons...Bondra isn't the go-to guy on the Sens, not even close.
Don't read into posts, I didn't blame anyone.

But the implication was that he should be counted on for 30 goals and as I said, those days are likely behind him.

Old
07-09-2004, 01:58 PM
rebedom

If Bondra accepts the offer than I think he ends up on a line with Alfredson and either Smolinski or White as their centre. Smolinski has the size but White may be better offensively, one of these guys may get traded. This would be followed by Havlat, Spezza and Hossa, two good offensive lines. The only knock of course is the same as always with this line up, these two lines are too soft and it shows up in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

If these six are on the first two lines who make up the next two lines.
3rd line - Schaefer, Fisher, Varada
4th line - Langfeld Vermette Neil

When you look at our forwards it becomes apparent quite quickly than Neil and Fisher are the only guys who will drop their gloves. In todays NHL you need to have a few more guys who are willing to do that (shameless plug for Oliwa). There is also Chara and De Vries (maybe) from the top 20 starters, maybe another reason to dress Emery when the going gets tough.

Old
07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Don't read into posts, I didn't blame anyone.

But the implication was that he should be counted on for 30 goals and as I said, those days are likely behind him.
You are arguing with yourself on this one. Nobody stated he would score 30 goals. So I have no idea why you included his "30 goal days". The consensus has been in the 20-25 area. Something in which he just did last year.

Can we agree that he should be at 20-25 goals with the Sens? If you can get that for less than $3M, they should jump at the opportunity.

Old
07-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Chili

Quote:
You are arguing with yourself on this one. Nobody stated he would score 30 goals. So I have no idea why you included his "30 goal days". The consensus has been in the 20-25 area. Something in which he just did last year.

Can we agree that he should be at 20-25 goals with the Sens? If you can get that for less than $3M, they should jump at the opportunity.
This was the quote

Quote:
sounds like a bargain to me for a guy who averages close to 30 goals a year.
Put whateever spin you like on Bondra but this player's production is on the decline according to his stats.

Closed Thread