HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Game 5 in VAN | Hawks win 5-0

Old
04-22-2011, 08:04 AM
RollingPuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcaptain86 View Post
I know the odds are not in the hawks favor but thank you hawks for caring and making this past week fun as hell to watch.
The odds weren't in our favor two games ago, but we don't have to win four in a row, just two, and we have all the momentum.

Odds are calculated as a reflection of history, they don't predict future results. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Nucks facing elimination on Sunday.

RollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
RollingPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
Even if we go down in the next game, we should all be super proud Hawk fans. Not only did they avoid a sweep and show the Canucks are beatable, they also blew them out twice and chased Luongo twice. Here's to hoping this team can make us even prouder and take it to a game 7
That would be a hollow victory, indeed, if we're watching Van play in the next round.

This series is ours now. Take it.

Old
04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
RollingPuck

Nucks board is hilarious. While most have turned on Lou and the team in general, apparently some relatives of the netminder post there...

"Defensive failures have cause the goals against. No softies from Luongo yet. The closest one to being a weak goal was Stalberg's game 2 goal but Ehrhoff screened Lu on that one, not to mention the Edler turnover in the zone that led to the play."

Old
04-22-2011, 08:45 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchruteFarms View Post
Trade Keith, Trade Hossa, etc.

But seriously what an enjoyable evening. I wouldn't have believed it, but we've got a chance. Keith hasn't had a better game during this entire year than he did tonight. He was a magician. Toews owned Kesler tonight. Kane and Hossa were great as well. The most noticeable thing to me was how much better the passing was tonight. Those breakaways don't happen without a good pass first. Great game boys! See you on Easter Sunday.

Edit: Nearly forgot congrats to Crawdaddy!

That was my impression as well. Accurate, crisp passing all around and finding the open man on the stretch pass had Canucks on their heels most of the night. The combination of Crawford's steady play and the dmen blocking shots or clearing the crease, gave very few second chances away... and I must mention Keith who has awakened and looks like a Norris candidate again.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:53 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
And massivegoonery (a somewhat puzzling 'handle' given the Hawks current team), nice quote: "Here's all you need to know. Last two games offensively: Sedins 1pt. Corey Crawford 2pts."
That wasn't me, it was James Duthie.

http://twitter.com/#!/tsnjamesduthie

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:03 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPuck View Post
Nucks board is hilarious. While most have turned on Lou and the team in general, apparently some relatives of the netminder post there...

"Defensive failures have cause the goals against. No softies from Luongo yet. The closest one to being a weak goal was Stalberg's game 2 goal but Ehrhoff screened Lu on that one, not to mention the Edler turnover in the zone that led to the play."

I don't think that assessment is far off. It's hard to believe, but the Canuck goaltending (last night especially) kept the score down in Vancouver. Lu was hung out to dry, time and time again, and those point shots were perfect; off the post and in, or an inch inside the post. Sharp alone could have had a hat trick on the chances he had.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
RollingPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I don't think that assessment is far off. It's hard to believe, but the Canuck goaltending (last night especially) kept the score down in Vancouver. Lu was hung out to dry, time and time again, and those point shots were perfect; off the post and in, or an inch inside the post. Sharp alone could have had a hat trick on the chances he had.
Lou made some nice saves to keep us from 8 or 9, but he's still letting in shots that he would have stopped in game 1. His glove was velcro'd to his pad on Hossa's first.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:15 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Really, it's amazing how a few shots being placed a few inches better makes it feel like everything is different.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:23 AM
ralph0226

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post

keith is playing even better than last year right now. I almost don't want seabs to come back. Team just seems to be firing on all cylinders without him.
And the presence of Scott is keeping the Nuck's goons a little more "honest."

ralph0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Illinihockey

Its weird, all of the foot races the Hawks were losing the first 3 games they are winning now. If the Hawks are able to go get a 3-4 goal win on Sunday lookout!

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
darkcaptain86

Quote:
Not a single goal in this series has been Luongo's fault.

Not one.
Quote of the day from the canucks board.

darkcaptain86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:59 AM
stoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcaptain86 View Post
Quote of the day from the canucks board.
wow

stoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:08 AM
BobbyJet

You guys need to give the Hawks more credit. There were no weak goals scored last night.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:08 AM
madgoat33

looks like the stupidest thing the 'nucks could do was go headhunting. Taking out Seabrook seemed to wake the whole team. Come on guys, put on a good display for the home crowd!

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:28 AM
BobbyJet

A few things that stood out for me in this game.

- Hawks were rather fortunate in the first 5 minutes of the game and it was good to see for a change after a season where they seemed to never get a break. That first goal goes in for the opps and the game is a different one.

- Some excellent, crisp passing by the Hawks and they hit the stretch pass literally every time they tried it.

- Finally some presence in front of the net and point shots made with a purpose.

- Good discipline overall (just like last years championship team) despite the usual cheap shots.

- CC was making the first saves look easy and the few times that he let out any rebound a Hawk dman was there or the Canuck player was cleared or covered… and the failure to clear the front of the net is something that has haunted them all year.

PS … kudos to Keith and Hossa !!

Old
04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
cherrypik

Quote:
A few things that stood out for me in this game.

- Hawks were rather fortunate in the first 5 minutes of the game and it was good to see for a change after a season where they seemed to never get a break. That first goal goes in for the opps and the game is a different one.

- Some excellent, crisp passing by the Hawks and they hit the stretch pass literally every time they tried it.

- Finally some presence in front of the net and point shots made with a purpose.

- Good discipline overall (just like last years championship team) despite the usual cheap shots.

- CC was making the first saves look easy and the few times that he let out any rebound a Hawk dman was there or the Canuck player was cleared or covered… and the failure to clear the front of the net is something that has haunted them all year.

PS … kudos to Keith and Hossa !!
Agree. I also like to add that Keith finally found that shooting lane and Hossa finally found that wicked snapper. It's nice to see these guys lift the puck. Now if Toews or Sharpy can pot a breakaway!

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Trapper2530

its a shame i had to sell my tickets for the game on sunday, i have to work and have already missed too many days to call off, at work tonight seeig the score i was kicking myself that i could no longer go

Trapper2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:24 AM
sedag

At the beginning of the season I never, ever would have thought I'd have this much confidence in Corey F. Crawford. Watching the game last night I realized a couple times that I just expected shutdown playoff goaltending from the kid. Do I expect a shutout every other game? No but there a couple of things to worry about over the next two games and in my opinion he's not one of them. Did not see this coming.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
madgoat33

Corey Crawford basically dragged the hawks into the playoffs kicking and screaming. I almost don't like to see him play this well because it means it'll cost the hawks more money to keep him

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
icekoob

This has been fun. I just don't know if i see them winning two games in a row. We will see though. I definitley don't like that extra day off.

icekoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
sedag

I think the team should have had saved Seabrook the wear and tear of traveling to Chicago only to fly back Sunday night. He should have just stayed in BC, watched game 6 on tv while riding a stationary bike and gotten ready for game 7. Hubris Unlimited.

sedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Hawkster58

Awesome stuff last night and I'm proud to say I called this in the game 4 post game thread, this Van city team is lacking character. Jump on them early and they fold like a cheap tent.

Truly loving Ben Smith, and for all the Scott haters, he made some mistakes, but there was never any scrums after whistles with him on the ice. I think that trade off was reasonable.

We are truly in the Canuck's heads, if we come out hard Sunday I think we may see a similar result.

Craig Simpson took annoying to a whole new level last night,"What happened to this Canuck team since the second period of game four". no credit to the Hawks...let me tell you what happened Craig...the Stanley Cup Champions happened!

The bridges are full in Vancouver...

Go Hawks!

Hawkster58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Sarava

Some interesting things of note...

The Hawks are 10-1 in their last 11 games with Dave Bolland. That's not counting the TB shootout loss where he was injured in the 1st period. In the lone loss to Florida, the Hawks dominated the Panthers, but Vokoun stole the win for them.

The Hawks are 0-17 all-time when trailing 3 games to none. They did not take it to game 6 in any of those 17 series. So they've already started breaking that trend.

I did get to see the replay at 3am or whenever it was. Wow what a complete game. It's exciting to see Corey Crawford is back on his game. You usually don't go too far in the playoffs without a hot goaltender, and he looked spectacular last night.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Sarava

Typical Vancouver, whether its 2 on 1, blindsiding an unsuspecting opponent, or pulling hair:

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
MadHouse

I feel sorry for Brouwer there.

Canucks is a bunch of punks, the only two you can respect is Samuelsson and Salo.

MadHouse is offline   Reply With Quote