HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4 - Kings vs. Sharks - 04/21/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Franchise13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Sharks lucked out big time with Kopitar being out.
Very much true.

Though a healthy Kopitar more than likely means we didn't meet in the 1st round.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:20 AM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I say Richards' will either go to New York (most likely), Dallas, Los Angeles or an outside team like Carolina.

The way Dallas' season ended and the whole ownership crap might get them out of it. If New York falters, the Kings would have a good shot at grabbing him if we had the money.

It would be worth it just for Bob having to announce Brad Richards and Brad Richardson.
Hahahahah. Deano can't pull the trigger with his life depending on it.

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:21 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
Hahahahah. Deano can't pull the trigger with his life depending on it.
And that's the kind of thinking that brought you Penner....

I guess Murray isn't the only one that can't learn new tricks...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
I actually thought the stupidest penalty of the game was Brown's. He speared Thorton while getting off and gave the Sharks a man advantage during a part of the game where the Kings were playing well. If it wasn't for Quick, we might have been down 1-0 earlier and dead before it even started.

Kopitar really should have the C. The guy stirs the drink for this team. When he fell, even our freaking announcers almost cried. He's the leader of the team and will be the reason we get to the 2nd round if ever.
give Cliffy the C with Simmonds, Richardson and Westy the A's. Now that would be fun

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Sharks lucked out big time with Kopitar being out.
sharks got LA cuz kopitar was out. if he wasn't there is no way sharks would get the kings, as u guys would be #4. anyway as soon as both williams and kopitar went out, it was clear who everyone wanted in the first round. w/o those two out? kings are about the last team i wanted to play.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Very much true.

Though a healthy Kopitar more than likely means we didn't meet in the 1st round.
Not to brag or be a homer but a healthy Kopitar likely means we'd have fought for that division title.

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Kappa
Jumbo's Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Not to brag or be a homer but a healthy Kopitar likely means we'd have fought for that division title.
You would have fought, but lost. Sharks don't give up division titles. If it's one thing we win consistently as of recent, it's that.

Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
I have no doubt about it actually.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:26 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
I say Richards' will either go to New York (most likely), Dallas, Los Angeles or an outside team like Carolina.

The way Dallas' season ended and the whole ownership crap might get them out of it. If New York falters, the Kings would have a good shot at grabbing him if we had the money.

It would be worth it just for Bob having to announce Brad Richards and Brad Richardson.
It'll be a long shot for certain but I don't believe cap space will be any sort of factor...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
First off, it's not about Simmonds being a top six player, it's how well he plays with Richardson and Clifford, I don't see that being easily replaceable.

And when they click, and mature defensively, they will easily be a solid 2nd line on most teams...
It's about where this teams problems lie, and its in the top 6. When you have a chock full of third liners, Simmonds is replaceable. I can easily see Holloway filling in his slot just fine. Also they aren't second lines on other teams. We've seen them get overrun by the Sharks in critical situations, sure they have been scoring, but IMO they haven't done a great job in their own end.

Something like this...

Parise – Kopitar – Williams
Penner – Schenn – Hedjuk
Parse – Loktionov – Moller
Clifford – Lewis – Holloway

In reality though, Dean will probably stand pat, and we'll be through this again next year getting blown out of the first round.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Orenji

With Kopitar, we most definitely finish 4th and then play the Predators or Coyotes. By how their series are going, the Kings could have taken both out with Kopitar. Even without, we could have beaten the Coyotes in 5/6 games. Their goaltending was awful and unlike the Sharks, their back-up is garbage.

The playoffs were the two games with the Ducks. If we had just won one of those, we would have had an amazing shot at getting to the 2nd round. We failed and pretty much made it that we were screwed no matter what.

Also the only reason we got Penner was because Dallas felt they could make the playoffs and didn't wanna move Richards. That failed miserably for them.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
It's about where this teams problems lie, and its in the top 6. When you have a chock full of third liners, Simmonds is replaceable. I can easily see Holloway filling in his slot just fine. Also they aren't second lines on other teams. We've seen them get overrun by the Sharks in critical situations, sure they have been scoring, but IMO they haven't done a great job in their own end.

Something like this...

Penner – Schenn – Hedjuk

In reality though, Dean will probably stand pat, and we'll be through this again next year getting blown out of the first round.
oh wow, those 2nd and 3rd lines are very high risk. That 3rd line in particular would get roasted in every game. No way should those 3 players be matched together

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Orenji

Quote:
It's about where this teams problems lie, and its in the top 6. When you have a chock full of third liners, Simmonds is replaceable. I can easily see Holloway filling in his slot just fine.

And they aren't second lines on other teams. We've seen them get overrun by the Sharks in critical situations, sure they have been scoring, but IMO they haven't done a great job in their own end.

Something like this...

Penner – Schenn – Hedjuk

It's impossible to get Parise. I think we would have to offer sheet him and since we gave up our 1st for Penner, that would be impossible.

The best possible top six I could see for next year would be:

Richards - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Schenn - Brown

Trade Smyth to a team needing experience and then snatch Richards from New York's fingers like Jersey did to us with Kovalchuk. The way the Rangers are treating Richards is the same exact way we were acting towards Kovy during last year's playoffs. Most people already had Kovalchuk in our top six.

Old
04-22-2011, 01:29 AM
nki

Eh I'd be absolutely shocked if Richards ends up here.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:31 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
It'll be a long shot for certain but I don't believe cap space will be any sort of factor...
It will be when you have to re-sign Doughty as well. We're not going after Richards. If we're to acquire a player of that magnitude, it would be through a trade.

Old
04-22-2011, 01:32 AM
KingLB

Quote:

Something like this...

Penner – Schenn – Hedjuk

LOLOLOLOL the Kings are getting over run, so lets infuse 3 more rookies into the line-up not to mention 3-4 more guys under 6 feet tall!! That will show the rest of the HUGE teams in the Pacific....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Fishhead

Just back from that sloppiness.

This team has looked really young this series. Most of the season, teams could be cycling in our zone and I wouldn't even worry. Everyone was covered and they played with poise. That poise is absolutely gone, we are just running around. It's a learning process in the playoffs: realizing that while the stakes are higher, the game itself hasn't changed. This team needs that poise to have a shot, hence being down 3-1.

Everyone in my section was *****ing at Penner. He deserved some, but it got pretty funny, really, because they would ***** at him even when someone put a pass 2 feet behind him or when he went in against 2 guys and didn't come out with the puck. Of course, when Doughty gave the puck away in our own zone multiple times or Johnson passed it right to one of the Sharks at the blueline - nothing was heard.

He's a popular scapegoat for frustration, but the problem isn't Penner. The problem is forgetting what got you there when the games get important. Penner is going to turn it around. It takes time to fit in. Look at Zeus and Williams. It took them a bit, but they finally started clicking. Yea I want to go down on the ice and shake the hell out of him (might take two of us, he's pretty big) when he's coasting, but I'm gonna give him til next year to prove he isn't a pile of suckage. Think about it - he's traded at the deadline to a team in an intense situation from a team that was out of it at thanksgiving. The top 2 guys go down and suddenly the expectations on him skyrocket. I find it hard to believe he turned into Roman Vopat overnight.

It's hard to say TM's system is to blame, because the only time they've followed it, they've won. My concern with TM is the players should not be this visibly panicky and on edge. I know he's a coach that lets the leadership in the room do a lot of peer coaching, but a lot of the responsibility to get the team relaxed and confident falls on his shoulders.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Orenji

Penner has been bad, but it's not all his fault. The expectations are just too high.

Los Angeles covet stars. Lakers are the greatest franchise in the NBA, and the Dodgers are one of the most historic franchises in MLB. People in Los Angeles wanted Hossa; he didn't come. They wanted Kovalchuk; he didn't come. Then it ended up with getting Penner, people got excited, and he's been beyond a letdown. He played well when he had no pressure with Kopitar and Williams.

Old
04-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I want someone to blame too

Terry Murray for being an inflexible and stubborn old man.

Dustin Penner for being a coward.

Jamie Kompon for walking through life still searching for a clue.

Michael Handzus for having the game pass him by.

Drew Doughty for being young and dumb. You pick a fight with Nichol and taking yourself off the ice...Nichol. Jesus.

Jonathan Quick for letting in 12 goals in 2 games even if the great majority of them were almost impossible to stop.

The veterans on this team for failing the team for a second consecutive season in the playoffs.

Ryan Smyth for having too much mileage.

Anze Kopitar for setting the Kings' iron man record only to become injured at the worst possible time of the season.

Did I mention Terry Murray? I think I did. That one could be a post by itself. It could be three.

Under pressure, winners focus and losers fold. The LA Kings folded. They find themselves down 3-1 and face a nearly insurmountable odd of coming back. There is nothing good or positive that came from this loss. Just a stern reminder that after many seasons of failure, the team still cannot put it together to win at the most critical time of the season even after having victory within their grasp.

I will love this team tomorrow. Tonight, I look at what we did and failed to do and it hurts.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:39 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
It's impossible to get Parise. I think we would have to offer sheet him and since we gave up our 1st for Penner, that would be impossible.

The best possible top six I could see for next year would be:

Richards - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Schenn - Brown

Trade Smyth to a team needing experience and then snatch Richards from New York's fingers like Jersey did to us with Kovalchuk. The way the Rangers are treating Richards is the same exact way we were acting towards Kovy during last year's playoffs. Most people already had Kovalchuk in our top six.
Well the problem is do we have room for Richards? Remember we got to resign Doughty. With that situation, we're going to be right up in the ceiling in terms of cap room. Richards is going to command above 7 mil. I don't see Dean forking over that kind of cash for him. Especially when we got a cap situation like that. I think trading for Parise is a more likely scenario, giving the Devils 2 roster players, prospects, maybe even Bernier to sweeten the pot would be more likely than giving Richards a fat contract and have our team in cap hell.

Old
04-22-2011, 01:42 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
LOLOLOLOL the Kings are getting over run, so lets infuse 3 more rookies into the line-up not to mention 3-4 more guys under 6 feet tall!! That will show the rest of the HUGE teams in the Pacific....
Yeah! Size is really helping us now isn't it? Penner, Handzus and the rest are really showing the Sharks and Ducks what size is all about at the end of the season.

Thanks for the laugh man...needed it.

Old
04-22-2011, 01:43 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
I actually thought the stupidest penalty of the game was Brown's. He speared Thorton while getting off and gave the Sharks a man advantage during a part of the game where the Kings were playing well. If it wasn't for Quick, we might have been down 1-0 earlier and dead before it even started.

Kopitar really should have the C. The guy stirs the drink for this team. When he fell, even our freaking announcers almost cried. He's the leader of the team and will be the reason we get to the 2nd round if ever.
This has become VERY evident.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:45 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Unless we get rid of Stoll, I don't see Brad Richards coming here. We'd have to shed lots of salary because he'll be asking for lots of money. On the other hand, I'm 100% sure the Rangers will be interested in him and that would make Gaborik available. That's one guy I would LOVE to have in LA

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:46 AM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
He's a Canadian citizen by choice, I'm going to assume because he would rather live in North America. I very strongly doubt he wants to or would go play in the KHL.
I read that somewhere before. But I imagine if he could make a lot more money in the KHL, that would do the short term over there and then live elsewhere once he hangs them up.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I see no reason to take the C from Brown. He was terrific for us when Kopitar went down, and has still been tremendous for us this postseason. He has the respect of the room, both on the ice and off.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote