HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Roy comes back who sits and what line should Roy play on?

Old
04-22-2011, 11:55 AM
LGB24

vCash: 500
wow Ennis really is the popular choice on here still. Without him we may have not won game 4. He may not be converting on his chances yet, but he's creating these chances. He's doing a hell of a lot more than boyes

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

With the way they've played so far in this series, neither Grier nor Niedermayer are coming out of the lineup unless they're hurt.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:08 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Without him we may have not won game 4.
What makes you say that? I think he looked better in game 4 than he did in the first 3, so I can see the logic in giving him another chance, but I don't think he really contributed to the win.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I'm sure by the time Roy gets back someone else will be hurt. We've been having a revolving door of injuries all season.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
What makes you say that? I think he looked better in game 4 than he did in the first 3, so I can see the logic in giving him another chance, but I don't think he really contributed to the win.
He made the no look pass to Niedermayer to set up the mini 2 on 1 with Pominville.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:18 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
As I posted in the "injury thread", I have gotten confirmation from a close childhood friend in the organization that Roy will return if there is a Game #7.

IMO if nothing changes these next 2 games my guess is Ennis is the one to sit leaving the lines to look like this:

Vanek-Connolly-Pominville
Stafford-Roy-Boyes
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
McCormick-Niedermayer-Grier

I bet they try work him back in giving him limited PP/PK time and maybe switch him with Nieds a shift or two. Who knows though hes been skating hard these past two weeks and if you have ever seen him with the pads off the guys a built speciman and certainly can handle the physical play.. Obviously most of us are hoping it doesnt come down to it and we just take the next two games and get to see him on the ice against a different opponet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I'm sure by the time Roy gets back someone else will be hurt. We've been having a revolving door of injuries all season.
I wouldn't doubt it ..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
How didnt he contribute. That no look touch pass was perfect, wasted no time at all getting the puck out front. If we dont score there, we're looking at a 0-0 game where we were getting badly outplayed

Old
04-22-2011, 12:21 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
He made the no look pass to Niedermayer to set up the mini 2 on 1 with Pominville.
True, but c'mon the degree of difficulty of that play wasn't high at all any other of our forwards would have made the same play .. Except for Ellis

EDIT:

If somebody provides a youtube of the goal and I watch it again maybe I will insert foot in mouth but from what I remember it wasn't that impressive of a "hockey play"

Old
04-22-2011, 12:28 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Rotate Kaleta and Ennis until one of them makes you keep them in the game.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 12:49 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
True, but c'mon the degree of difficulty of that play wasn't high at all any other of our forwards would have made the same play .. Except for Ellis

EDIT:

If somebody provides a youtube of the goal and I watch it again maybe I will insert foot in mouth but from what I remember it wasn't that impressive of a "hockey play"
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...3,124&fr=false

It wasnt a highlight real play but he took the hit under pressure and got it past the defenseman to find the open man.

Old
04-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Tunnel of Death
Foligno: Beast Mode

Another silver lining of Roy possibly returning is that it would allow Boyes to shift back to wing, where he's actually a competent hockey player. I think that move would muscle Ennis out of the lineup temporarily.

Tunnel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:06 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
How didnt he contribute. That no look touch pass was perfect, wasted no time at all getting the puck out front. If we dont score there, we're looking at a 0-0 game where we were getting badly outplayed
Let's not go overboard with the analysis of game 4. The Sabres weren't "badly outplayed" until the third period when they were trying to protect a 1-0 lead and Philly was desperately trying to tie it. I think the Sabres were a better team for the majority of the game.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:21 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Let's not go overboard with the analysis of game 4. The Sabres weren't "badly outplayed" until the third period when they were trying to protect a 1-0 lead and Philly was desperately trying to tie it. I think the Sabres were a better team for the majority of the game.
i disagree. The 2nd and 3rd period was basically all philly. Buffalo played a much better first period but from the 5:00 mark in the first till the end philly controlled the play

Old
04-22-2011, 03:08 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'll just repost what I put in the Injury thread (note: the post I was replying to suggested that Ennis or Boyes would be the guys to come out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I'm not sure I'd take out Boyes over Ennis, but I agree the choice is between those two. While Nieds/Grier have been the goats of choice in the regular season, they have stepped it up big-time in the playoffs (perhaps not on the scoreboard, but they have a role and they play it well). Meanwhile those two have been invisible at best, liabilities at worst. The only reason for Ennis/Boyes to be in the lineup is for offense.

But I really hope Roy is ready. Let's say he is ready for game 7 (and there is a game 7). Is this guy going to be ready to log big minutes after having not played a game since December? Is he really in game shape? In a do-or-die game, you don't have the luxury of taking a gamble and having it backfire. If it was the beginning of the series, sure maybe you could, but not in a game 7. You need 12 forwards firing on all cylinders. I don't think Roy will be--certainly not his first game back, and maybe not until October anyways. How many forwards who have missed half the season come back and make an immediate impact in the playoffs? The only guys I can think of offhand who were in that situation were Connolly in 07 and Savard last season, and you could tell neither of them were in playoff shape (granted, different injuries, but I doubt there will be a bunch of guys with similar injuries to Roy in the same position). I'd be curious to see how other guys in that situation have fared--guys who haven't seen game action for a long time.

I think I might actually lean towards holding him out and hoping the guys that got to that point could get it done, and bring in Roy for Game 1 of the 2nd round--give him a few games to get his legs back before the pressure cooker of elimination games, and hope he's ready. Ideally, you want to work him back in with limited ES minutes (i.e. not the top line) and maybe limited PK minutes, with more PP minutes. I think it's easier to do at the beginning of a series where if you drop a game you can still get it back, than taking that risk in a game 7. What happens if Roy isn't really ready? Can you afford to run 11 forwards in a game 7?

Of course the counter argument is can you afford not to play him if he can go at all, even not at full strength, but I might need some convincing on that one.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Insomniac99

I'd say definitely play Roy as soon as possible. Even if he's rusty, it creates one more line which will give the Flyers fits and free up other players for more scoring chances.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Has to be Grier or Boyes. IMO, it should be Grier. With Roy back, we have plenty of PKers. Griers board play is better than Boyes obviously, but I think we need the shot more.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:47 PM
LGB24

Ennis still anyone?

Old
04-22-2011, 08:11 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

BOY OH BOY

Old
04-22-2011, 08:19 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Pominville.

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:38 PM
LGB24

and ill say it again. Ennis still anyone? LOL at the haters

Old
04-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Aaaaaaaaand, now it's Boyes.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
and ill say it again. Ennis still anyone? LOL at the haters
If Ennis doesn't produce he should sit was the sentiment expressed.

I don't think you quite grasp what hating is.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
stokes84

Bench Ennis? Haha.

Old
04-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Well, if Pommer can't come back, having Roy would be a huge boost.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:47 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If Ennis doesn't produce he should sit was the sentiment expressed.

I don't think you quite grasp what hating is.
I got the hating, and it was embarrassing. Where'd the bench Ennis thread go?