HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Canucks lose to the Hawks, do they fire Alain Vigneault?

View Poll Results: Do the Canucks fire AV if they end up losing to Chicago?
Yes, he has clearly shown his limits as a coach for this team 298 88.17%
No, he has proven his abilities as a coach, he is not the problem 40 11.83%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Team Psychologist has to be fired ASAP, to be replaced immediately by Sgt. Slaughter.
I'm partial to the Iron Sheik, myself.

To answer the question: yes. The entire staff should be taken out to the woodshed IF they fail yet again to defeat Chicago. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if Luongo agrees to waive his NTC either.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:23 PM
JamesBond*

If the Canucks lose to the Blackhawks, which seems as likely as anything, I don't care what they do as I'll stop giving a damn about them entirely.

My support for them will cease, plain and simple. I have been a fan of this team for 25 years and have experienced 1 year where I can say I was truly happy with the way they played.

If they were to be engaged in an epic 7 game series with ups and down, but came out to play in each game, I might be different.............but this.............this is the worst I have seen the team collectively play, ever. If it continues they'll lose this fan, for life.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:28 PM
AmazingNuck

He is not the problem. However, he will be fired. He is a capable coach that is able to extract as much out of his roster as possible. It is the players who fail time and time again (see: Mitchell's gaffe that cost us the series in '09, Demitra's gaffe that cost us the series in '10, and the lack of passion from the players in '11 that is beginning to cost us the series). The players clearly buy into his system so he has not lost the room and there is great mutual respect that can be felt. It really is more of a "try something new" rather than "he failed."

In the end though I think some of the blame goes to Gillis. The Canucks, going into the year, lacked two essential pieces which is on the GM.

1. There isn't a fourth offensive threat on the team. The three big offensive threats are the Sedins and Kesler. The problem with these three, however, is that if you shut down one Sedin, you have essentially shut down the other Sedin. And if you've shut down the Sedins, you have shut down Burrows. All a team has to do is shut down one player and that's 86 goals you take out of the equation. That leaves one player, Kesler, on the second line to produce goals. He has, however, been shut down every year in the playoffs in terms of goal-scoring. And his linemates are nowhere near talented enough to produce on their own without Kesler, especially because Kesler is some what of a puck-hog, which is fine if he scores but he hasn't. And because he has the responsibility of shut down centre without Malhotra, he has even less time to produce goals. Kesler is much easier to shut down and his line mates will not make up for it. So essentially you are shutting down one and a half players (half because Kesler will spend half his time in a defensive role) to neuter the Canucks offensively, which, apparently is as easily said as done.

2. A versatile second line player. Versatile in that he can play in all positions and all situations. While Raymond somewhat resembles this now, he is clearly not experienced enough as a centre and isn't excellent in faceoffs. This player was crucial because the loss of Malhotra basically ****ed up our entire roster. This was a problem going into the the season because Gillis banked on all of Henrik, Kesler, and Malhotra being injury-free. If one of them got injured, the collective set of forwards would be boned. And they were. That player would have at least been able to cover the loss of one of the three.

I've defended Vigneault through thick and thin and I will continue to defend him as a coach. He is clearly competent. However, the franchise simply needs a new direction. It is no shot against him but the Canucks need a coach who has won the Stanley Cup before. The proper move is to hire that coach and then obtain those two pieces while obtaining/retaining at least two top 4 defensemen. Easier said than done, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
If the Canucks lose to the Blackhawks, which seems as likely as anything, I don't care what they do as I'll stop giving a damn about them entirely.

My support for them will cease, plain and simple. I have been a fan of this team for 25 years and have experienced 1 year where I can say I was truly happy with the way they played.

If they were to be engaged in an epic 7 game series with ups and down, but came out to play in each game, I might be different.............but this.............this is the worst I have seen the team collectively play, ever. If it continues they'll lose this fan, for life.
*sigh* I have the same mentality as you except I will probably be in denial and would still care about their season. I keep telling myself I'll be a Rangers fan if the Canucks lose but holy **** who the **** blows a 3-0 lead going into the third, at home, while trailing the series 2-1? Even more disappointing.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Hammer79

Yes, they would probably fire AV, but they aren't going to lose this series anyway. We haven't seen them play two stinkers in a row all year, and now they've done it. The 2 day break will help settle them down.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Momesso

Absolutely AV gets fired. In fact, even if they win but don't make the finals, he should still get fired. Just not getting it done.

Then there would have to be a major shakeup to the core.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Cogburn

If we lose, he needs to be gone. Anything short of a 3rd round visit is an absolute failure, we're then stuck in the same gear with a better team (as shown in the rise in regular season standings). If we lose to the Hawks, then Vignault as well as a few other key elements will have to move as well. Maybe it's all the media hype, but anything short of a cup is reason enough to shake things up.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Moore Money

yes! It's painfully obvious he's just not a very smart guy. He makes stupid move after stupid move.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

The more I think about this Ballard situation, the more it pisses me off.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Verviticus

av just coached his way to the best offence, best defence, best powerplay and second best pk that he only lost the crown for because his team locked up the president's trophy a week early and stopped playing. on top of this, he maintained the status quo of "winning practically every game while looking good" while juggling fourteen defencemen.

regardless of where they lose in the playoffs, regardless of how badly you want him gone and how silly the decision to sit ballard for rome looks, he's not going anywhere.

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:23 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
No he confirmed it was a healthy scratch. He said he thought Rome was solid down the stretch. What a terrible decision.

I agree with icebank, its his ability to adapt within a game, within a series that should be questioned.

I like this poll. Perhaps the most lop-sided on the board.
LOL If you think Ballard was the difference between losing 5-0 and winning the game then you have been severely misled.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:48 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

it's given unless there is a massive excuse, like 3/4 of the team ate bad fish on the plane and should really be in hostpital and Bieksa hit his head and thinks in 2010.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Ballard has to be injured. Drop the only guy D that didn't finish with a minus for Rome doesn't make sense otherwise.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
av just coached his way to the best offence, best defence, best powerplay and second best pk that he only lost the crown for because his team locked up the president's trophy a week early and stopped playing. on top of this, he maintained the status quo of "winning practically every game while looking good" while juggling fourteen defencemen.

regardless of where they lose in the playoffs, regardless of how badly you want him gone and how silly the decision to sit ballard for rome looks, he's not going anywhere.
He's had enough chances to win in the playoffs. You're not realistically going to dismantle the core of this team so it's time to change coaches. Ron Wilson had a bunch of chances in San Jose, couldn't get it done and they moved on.

I think AV takes too much grief BUT sometimes you just need a fresh voice/approach behind the bench.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

As the old saying goes, its easier to fire the coach than the players.

I think AV is a very good coach and it wont take him long to find another job, but yeah, I think he has run his course in vancouver if he cannot get past the 2nd round, never mind the hawks.

That's not to say that its AV's fault. But a change in culture along with some personnel can be the tonic for getting through this mental block. The window is only open for so long.

Lets also not forget the significance of malholtra being out. This ties up kesler into more of a checking role, which means there's an even stronger reliance on the sedins to produce, and they have been AWOL since bolland came back.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He's had enough chances to win in the playoffs. You're not realistically going to dismantle the core of this team so it's time to change coaches. Ron Wilson had a bunch of chances in San Jose, couldn't get it done and they moved on.

I think AV takes too much grief BUT sometimes you just need a fresh voice/approach behind the bench.
Vigneault absolutely has to go, I think in general he is a good coach however for whatever reason Quenville outcoaches him year after year. I've thought that over the past two years and if they lose this series it will comes down to the coaching staff.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I don't know if Vigneault is the entire problem, but yes--I think if the Canucks go on to lose this series, he will be cut loose.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Bieksallent

If we were to lose, I really, really hope we don't just change coaches. Way too many passengers when games start to mean something.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Rome over Ballard and Glass over Oreskovich or Hodgson is simply un acceptable in crucial playoff games. He will be let go, along with Bowness (Brown can stay and work with the powerplay as long as he wants) if they dont win the cup IMHO. Yes, even if they get to the finals his course has run, time for a new voice in this god forsaken locker room.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:10 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Ricky View Post
If we were to lose, I really, really hope we don't just change coaches. Way too many passengers when games start to mean something.
It wouldn't be the only move but you realistically aren't going to be able to move a bunch of the guys.

There's also more than enough talent on this team. I'd like to see someone else try to see how much of it is coaching. Did the Canucks freeze up in Game #4 because they lacked the tools from the coaches to adjust to the way the Hawks were playing?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
It wouldn't be the only move but you realistically aren't going to be able to move a bunch of the guys.

There's also more than enough talent on this team. I'd like to see someone else try to see how much of it is coaching. Did the Canucks freeze up in Game #4 because they lacked the tools from the coaches to adjust to the way the Hawks were playing?
Yeah, theres a reason you didn't see San Jose just go and trade everyone away after all the years they chocked, it's just not that easy. Gillis has a great core to build around I truly think AV is a cancer for this team - we have been critiscing him all year for a reason, despite the great year he makes ****in mind blowing decisions and is out coached on a nightly basis.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Sedinery2011

heads will roll

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Grabtastic

It's almost a given AV's head will roll if the Canucks fail to make it past the second round, never mind getting out of this series alive.

I've called him out many times for his disgusting bias against Ballard. A player who's fully capable of playing and one who the organisation traded a few valuable assets for, including our one of our top prospects.

Yet again, he plays Rome over Ballard in one of the most important games of this team's history. Absolutely sicking.

Grabtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
the edler
Inimitable

at the end of the day obviously

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 06:06 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Ballard has to be injured. Drop the only guy D that didn't finish with a minus for Rome doesn't make sense otherwise.
AV confirmed that Ballard was a healthy scratch for Rome yesterday. He is that stupid yes. This whole Ballard Rome thing was the press and fans scratching their head the entire season.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:

unfortunately this is the case...core players are all on long-term contracts with no-movement clauses, so most of the major changes this offseason will be similar to the additions made last offseason (secondary guys like hamhuis, ballard, malhotra, torres, ect...)

if they lose, though, it'll just be so damn frustrating for the fanbase to accept that the current version of the club will enter san jose/ottawa territory where you just know that the core players don't have the required mental fortitute to raise their games in the playoffs, but they're brilliant enough every regular season to give hope that things might be different every postseason, and every postseason you see the same meltdowns year after year until you eventually get apathetic and lose interest

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote