HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ECQF | Game 5 | Lightning @ Penguins | April 23 | 12:15 PM ET | VS, CBC, ROOT, SUN

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2011, 03:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
ECQF | Game 5 | Lightning @ Penguins | April 23 | 12:15 PM ET | VS, CBC, ROOT, SUN

Online Viewing Sources & Game 5 Preview
"NEW"atdhe.tv
Justin.tv (non-direct)
MyP2P Forums
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/

NHL.com
NHL.com Pittsburgh Penguins
Penguins Playoff Central
NHL.com Tampa Bay Lightning

Quote:
(Pittsburgh leads best-of-seven series, 3-1)

TV: VERSUS, CBC (HD), SUN (HD), ROOT (HD)

Big story: The Penguins grabbed a commanding lead through four games following a scintillating 3-2 double overtime decision at St. Pete Times Forum on Wednesday. James Neal, who had connected for just one goal in his first 23 games with the Penguins since coming over in a February trade with Dallas, scored the game winner 3:38 into the fifth period. Neal's blast from the right boards near the hash marks clipped Dwayne Roloson's catching glove before entering the cage on the short side.

"As long as you keep shooting, one is going to find its way into the back of the net," Neal said. "I got a shot off the draw and just wanted to shoot. I didn't have the angle, but it managed to find its way in. I was lucky to get one, but the guys battled all night."

After serving one-game suspensions for illegal hits in Game 3, Pittsburgh's Chris Kunitz and Tampa Bay's Steve Downie will each be reinserted back into the lineup for Game 5.

Team Scope:

Lightning: Despite the loss, coach Guy Boucher commended Martin St. Louis and Sean Bergenheim for the exceptional efforts during his Game 4 postgame press conference. With his team trailing 2-0 and being outplayed, St. Louis got the Lightning and the sellout crowd at the St. Pete Times Forum back into the game at 17:14 of the second when he his team-leading fourth goal of the series. Bergenheim's first career playoff goal came off a mad scramble in the slot with 3:17 left in regulation and pulled Tampa Bay into a 2-2 tie. In addition to their goals, St. Louis finished with 4 takeaways and 2 blocked shots and Bergenheim had 3 hits and 3 steals.

Series Recap

18-James Neal10-Mark Letestu72-Alex Kovalev
14-Chris Kunitz11-Jordan Staal48-Tyler Kennedy
9-Pascal Dupuis25-Max Talbot16- Chris Conner
17-Mike Rupp27-Craig Adams45-Aaron Asham

7- Paul Martin*1st Pairing* 4-Zbynek Michalek
44-Brooks Orpik*2nd Pairing*58-Kris Letang
2-Matt Niskanen *3rd Pairing*6- Ben Lovejoy
29-MA Fleury*GOALTENDERS*1-Brent Johnson

Until the End

Player Spotlight - James Neal

The hero of Game 4 has seen his fair share of slumps recently. After being snake-bitten since he got to Pittsburgh, his break-out goal couldn't have come at a better time. However, the game isn't all about goals. Well.. almost.

Neal has done a great job in all three zones. In the offensive zone, he's dominating the forecheck and working the corners while his linemates Letestu/Kovy mostly watch. There isn't much support on our top line, but that isn't stopping Neal from playing his game. He's finishing hits while being injured, and laying it all on the line. He's getting chances, but you can tell the stick is being gripped just a tad too tight every squandered chance.

In the neutral zone and defensive zone, Neal has shown his worth to the team. After watching Hossa backcheck, I never thought I'd see a better two way forward. Well, Kunitz and Neal are knocking on the door and showing there is more to the game than scoring goals. Neal has a great first step and has disrupted the play coming back to our defensive zone. If it wasn't for that dedication and hardwork, his slump would be affecting the Penguins even more.

If there was ever a guy to breakout and score the GWG in Game 4, Neal deserved it. He's put more than enough effort to finally catch a break.

26- Marty St. Louis A91- Steven Stamkos9- Steve Downie
12- Simon Gagne4- Vinny Lecavalier C16- Teddy Purcell
10- Sean Bergenheim19- Dominic Moore6- Ryan Malone
18- Adam Hall44- Nate Thompson42- Dana Tyrell

39- Mike Lundin*1st Pairing*2- Eric Brewer
7- Victor Hedman*2nd Pairing*47- Marc Andre Bergero
5- Mattias Ohlund A*3rd Pairing*7- Brett Clark
13- Pavel Kubina  
35- Dwayne Roloson*GOALTENDERS*41- Mike Smith

Player Spotlight - Martin St Louis

Simply put: The Penguins do not have an answer for Martin St. Louis. He's, by far, the best player on the ice among the two teams. That, in no way, is an exaggeration. He's the heart and soul of Tampa and almost single-handedly brought this team back to 2-2 in the series.

I honestly find myself anxious and nervous anytime I see that damn yellow stick hit the ice... and it is out there a lot. He's dominating ice-time and in no way shape or form is he slowing down throughout the game. His first step is so quick and even more dangerous because he has a second one that is just as fast. If the defense doesn't gap up quick, they will be burned. If you do gap up, the guy can put a perfect pass in space to his fellow linemates which can consist of Malone, Lecavalier, or Stamkos.

What makes it even more remarkable is that the guy is almost 36 years old. He's playing like he's a 23 year old out there. If you are a Pens fan or don't like the Bolts for whatever reason, you have to love this guy and his tenacity to be the best each shift. It's truly remarkable and a great story in the end.

If the Bolts fight their way back and win Game 7, he's hands-down the early vote for MVP of the playoffs.

Tampa Bay: 1-3-1

Alright, Part I of today's X's and O's will focus on the Bolts' 1-3-1. Simply put, the Bolts are lining up, against set opposition breakouts, in a 1-3-1 in the neutral zone. What that means is the first guy forces the puck w/o pressuring into the offensive zone while they stack 3 across in between the red line and their blue line. The last guy is drifting inside his own blueline trying to take away the stretch pass dump-in or any soft-dumps. The main focal point is to either force a bad pass and transition north/south or at least take away the opposition's forecheck pressure. This setup works against teams who rely on dumping the puck deep and using physical play to create turnovers. However, when you take away one strength, you leave a few holes to exploit. The weakness becomes the open zones that the Penguins can cut through w/ a chip/area pass or a quick one-touch.

The reason Tampa is doing this is because the Penguins take advantage of the new rule where they "attempt" a stretch pass from their d-zone but basically let it just tip or go right by their winger and attack hard on the forecheck. It lets them dump the puck in w/o even reaching the red line. Without Crosby or Malkin, the Penguins thrive on dumping the puck deep and "getting to their game." As Bylsma so eloquently put it on HBO 24/7 - "let's grind these *****es down." What that means is punishing dmen in the corner and forcing them to make bad turnovers because of the consistent pressure/physical play. The Bolts are countering the Penguins strength by forcing them to break the mini-trap in the neutral zone and skate the puck in w/o getting to the game they want to. Without Crosby and Malkin, skating the puck and using stickhandling skills isn't our forte.

The Penguins, after three games, have finally figured a way to break the 1-3-1 while still getting to their game. The defense have to carry to pressure but come up with strong-side support from a winger and weak-side support from their defensive partner. What the Penguins are looking to do is move across the opposition's blue line w/ the center/weak side wing and hit a chip pass or one-touch pass to break through the three Bolts' players staggered across the line. This forces the last Bolts' d-man to come up instead of falling back to take the dump-in easily and transition back to offense. When this defender makes his move forward, the Penguins are soft dumping the puck to either the strong-side corner or wrapping it around to the weak side corner and attacking with two forecheckers right out of the gate. The third forward stays high and waits to either support (based on numbers) or fall back and let his d-men pinch to keep the puck live in the offensive zone. Remember, the Penguins want possession and zone time. We aren't looking to play hot potato with the puck. Once we establish possession, cycle-grind-utilize the points.

To be honest, this would be a perfect time for the Bolts to change to a 1-2-2 or even a full trap. Give Pittsburgh something different to look at. That could set the tempo or even create a few odd-man transition rushes.

Pittsburgh: "Gap Up!"

Part II of X's and O's will be fairly short and sweet. If you've been around the game of hockey, you've probably heard the phrase "gap up." Well, it sounds easy... but only few defensive groups do it correctly. Pittsburgh is one of them.

When the free agency frenzy started on July 1st, 2010, the Pittsburgh Penguins went a route not a lot of people expected. They went with strong defensive players with active sticks and great defensive positioning. Well.. it's paying off. Most importantly from the neutral zone. Martin, Michalek, Orpik, and Letang are great at closing the gap and not letting offenses come into their zone with speed and flow. They are taking away the gap and forcing the opposition to slow down.

Taking away the gap is as easy to understand as it sounds. It's closing off the angle and forcing the player into no space. It sounds easy, but it might be one of the hardest concepts to learn as a defender and execute. You cannot allow any cut-back lanes or soft zones to exploit by a cut. All you need to do is keep an active stick, good square body positioning, and keeping your out-side hip with defensive positioning back to your goalie while the game is at full speed. The idea is to force the player to the boards as opposed to the middle. When a forward gets to the middle, he has more options. Force him to the boards and the options disappear.

This small part of the game has given the Penguins a huge advantage in the neutral zone. It's allowing our forwards to get back and help on defense by slowing down the transition speed of Tampa. Michalek, Martin, Orpik, and Letang might not be lighting the lamp, but they are the heroes of this series.

Team & Player Stats

Cole's Video Match-up

VS.

Playoff Trivia

Q1: Who is leading the Playoffs in points?
A1:
Spoil:
Corey Perry - 8

Q2: Who is leading the Playoffs in PIM?
A2:
Spoil:
Maxim Lapierre - 24

Q3: How big is the Stanley Cup?
A3:
Spoil:
Two feet, 11 inches tall

Q4: Who are the two players with SHG's in the Playoffs?
A4:
Spoil:
1) Corey Perry, 2) Mattias Ohlund

Q5: Who is the guy that is always watching the Stanley Cup?
A5:
Spoil:
Phil Pritchard

_________________ColePensUncle Martin_____________

Last edited by ColePens: 04-23-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old
04-22-2011, 03:19 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Odd early playoff game tomorrow. Sorry to the folks if it's up too early. I thought it'd give both sides enough time to analyze it this evening before we all wake up hung over for tomorrow's game.

Old
04-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Sideline

Spectacular GDT. Better than previews people get paid for.

It's (going to be) a great day for hockey!

Edit: got rid of the youtube. HCDB has a potty mouth.

Old
04-22-2011, 04:24 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Sweet GDT!

Let's go Bolts! Nothing's over until it's over!

Old
04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Odd early playoff game tomorrow. Sorry to the folks if it's up too early. I thought it'd give both sides enough time to analyze it this evening before we all wake up hung over for tomorrow's game.
You Pens fans always do epic GDTs. Really nice work.

The tribute to the Pens cup win is also very well done, whoever did it!

Old
04-23-2011, 02:05 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

the pens have been in this exact situation the last two years in the first round under bylsma and lost both times in game 5. with the early start time and a crowd that figures to be more lethargic than usual, it sure feels like this series will head back to tampa.

hope i'm wrong, but the pens have yet to close out a series at home in the past two seasons.

Old
04-23-2011, 06:32 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
the pens have been in this exact situation the last two years in the first round under bylsma and lost both times in game 5. with the early start time and a crowd that figures to be more lethargic than usual, it sure feels like this series will head back to tampa.

hope i'm wrong, but the pens have yet to close out a series at home in the past two seasons.
New building brings new luck I hope!

Old
04-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Great GDT.

Hopefully we play a great game today and force the series back to Tampa

Old
04-23-2011, 08:16 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Afternoon game. Check.
Game 5 at home to close out the series. Check.
Road teams dominating the playoffs so far. Check.

This is the recipe to have a 3-0 Bolts win today. I've seen it happen too many times to my Penguins. The only thing I can hope is that the crowd is ready to go at 12:00 to sing the national anthem. After that, all bets are off.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Jaded-Fan

First goal is key. Pens can really play their game with a lead. Coming from behind not so much. On my way to the game. Go Pens!

Old
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Skip Bayless
Kristers God-levskis

vCash: 629
I have a feeling that this is it for our season

Old
04-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

bergeron playing, fun game coming

Old
04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Why hasn't my broadcast on ESPN Online started yet?

Old
04-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Wow, beautiful GDT.

Looking forward to watching this game on CBC.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Canadian91

I'm not exactly a USA kind of guy... but I love your anthem. It really is an amazing piece of music.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
I'm not exactly a USA kind of guy... but I love your anthem. It really is an amazing piece of music.
Agreed, 100%.

Old
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
They're using the Pens feed? Oh boy. This will end well.

Old
The Scouting Report

Does anyone have a link to a stream? Apparently this game is "blacked out" for my NHL GameCenter in Indiana... go figure.

Old
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Oh wow, puck squeaked by Rollie and almost went in.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:17 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Here's to hoping the Penguins win, because otherwise this broadcast will be insufferable.

Old
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Ohlund with a break there. (no pun intended)

Old
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scouting Report View Post
Does anyone have a link to a stream? Apparently this game is "blacked out" for my NHL GameCenter in Indiana... go figure.
atdhe.fm
Click on Ice Hockey
Click on the match-up
Click on the links provided

Old
04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Good chance for Tampa.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
atdhe.fm
Click on Ice Hockey
Click on the match-up
Click on the links provided
Thanks, sir!

Old
04-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Coincidental Minors

lucky us.. what was Jack Edwards busy or something. These guys on national television?

Closed Thread