HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ECQF | Game 5 | Lightning @ Penguins | April 23 | 12:15 PM ET | VS, CBC, ROOT, SUN

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2011, 03:02 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear Me Now View Post
The intent to injure players was there? I must have missed that part. The only "intent" I seen was the penguins letting Tampa know that they were not going to stop playing no matter what the score was. I seen not so much gooning it up as I seen a team playing as hard down as they would if they had been closer in the game.
WOW just WOW.

I'd bet if you asked 100 non-Pen/Wing/Cap/NYI/Tampa Bay fans if that was gooning it up, 95 would say yes?

Old
04-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
If the Pens were so concerned with preventing goals, why didn't they try doing a little bit of it earlier, rather than wait until the game was out of reach?

This is rhetorical, by the way. Please don't waste the bandwidth repeating yourself. Just take a serious look into what happened, today, and attempt to objectively juxtapose the two situations.
maybe because hockey is not math. it doesn't always go how you would want. especially in case of more balanced teams. you should know this better as a Flyers fan...

Old
04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

The Pens took 3 boarding calls in the same game. I think that clarifies everything as far as the Pens trying to goon it up. I mean jesus that Rupp one on Malone was just ugly.

Old
04-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mighty Quinn View Post
WOW just WOW.

I'd bet if you asked 100 non-Pen/Wing/Cap/NYI/Tampa Bay fans if that was gooning it up, 95 would say yes?
Yeah.. if you aren't a Penguins fan, you're a Penguin hater. If you think you'll get reasonable responses from a question like that, go on ahead and ask it

Old
04-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mighty Quinn View Post
WOW just WOW.

and how do you prove this?

people like you talking in absolute without having any clue or any way to prove it cracks me up all the time. just because you write down wow in capitals doesn't make your post legit. it just makes you sound like a tabloid...

Old
04-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

It should be obvious by now that the first goal is key in this series. More so for Tampa. They get that first goal and they can play a little more conservative on defense and clog up that middle the way they do. Same can be said for Pittsburgh. They know Tampa will score and they play a lot better with the lead. The key will continue to be getting that first goal. For both teams.

Old
04-23-2011, 03:25 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

The Pens were gooning it up at the end, and the funny thing is, theres nothing really wrong with it. If their owner didn't say the foolish things he did earlier in the year it wouldn't even matter. Almost every team will goon it up now and then, especially when you're getting your ***** handed to you in a playoff game.

To me it looks like Pens fans are only trying to defend themselves because of what Mario said, if he never said anything they wouldn't have to defend accusations of gooning it up, they would have embraced it.

Old
04-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

Old
04-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
The Pens were gooning it up at the end, and the funny thing is, theres nothing really wrong with it. If their owner didn't say the foolish things he did earlier in the year it wouldn't even matter. Almost every team will goon it up now and then, especially when you're getting your ***** handed to you in a playoff game.

To me it looks like Pens fans are only trying to defend themselves because of what Mario said, if he never said anything they wouldn't have to defend accusations of gooning it up, they would have embraced it.
I don't think any reasonable Pens fan would deny that they have the ability (and the demeanor) to get scrappy and forget about hockey in blowouts, it's happened on at least three occasions I can recall.

But the thing about the Mario thing is that his suggestions for league-wide discipline were roundly criticized and rejected, and yet they believe that it forces the Penguins to play like angels. It doesn't make sense. If I suggest increasing the penalties of law and get solidly denounced for it, then they've given me no reason to respect the law.

Sadly, the real reason why people wish that the Penguins fired Matt Cooke and all the sandpaper types on their team, handed out in-house suspensions (despite the fact no one else does) is because they know it would give them a competitive advantage against the Penguins. It's the same reason people have been clamoring for suspensions against every team other than theirs; competitive advantage.

Old
04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post

Sadly, the real reason why people wish that the Penguins fired Matt Cooke and all the sandpaper types on their team, handed out in-house suspensions (despite the fact no one else does) is because they know it would give them a competitive advantage against the Penguins. It's the same reason people have been clamoring for suspensions against every team other than theirs; competitive advantage.
Oh god, this is so full of wrong, if a player deserves a suspension, I don't care if my team plays against him or not, it deserves punishment.

Look, Bobby Ryan deserved a 2 game suspension IMO and Tampa didn't play against the Ducks.
Not my fault if Cooke is trying to rip heads with his elbow, he deserved the big suspension, there's no room in the game for that.

Old
04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Off-topic: would you rather be a fan of a team that, for whatever reason, many people seem to hate and provokes a steady stream of often silly and irrational complaining from hundreds of fans of other teams (even in a game that doesn't inviolve them) or a fan of a team no one really cares about? Just wondering.

Anyway, nice comeback by the Lightning, showed lots of character. Do hope the Pens, and MAF, play better Monday (I am expecting it actually). We only need one.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
insomniac34

Amazing win by the Lightning, they really whooped our ass. Refs, bad calls, none of that matters when you loose 8-2.

I had a feeling the Pens would struggle today, let's hope they rebound as they have so many times before.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
Amazing win by the Lightning, they really whooped our ass. Refs, bad calls, none of that matters when you loose 8-2.

I had a feeling the Pens would struggle today, let's hope they rebound as they have so many times before.
Sometimes you need to lose to realize how badly you want something. I'm really looking for a strong effort on Monday, hopefully resulting in a win.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:49 PM
SidTheKid8787

Hungover.
And slept in.
Watched the highlights.
That looked like a game of shinny. Real talk.
12pm starts ftl.

Told you this was going 6 or 7.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Jaded-Fan

Not too concerned about the score. I said pre-game that if the Pens got behind it could get ugly like game 2. The Pens played good enough to get the lead early on and then really settle into their game and the puck just did not go in for them. It happens. The Pens used to blow the Devils out by a huge margin like this now and then, but most of the time they beat us in previous years. I do not fear any carry over effect on Monday other than a pissed off and focused Pens' team. I expect a much different game monday.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
txpd

i am wondering if the white out isnt a thing of the past. home teams wear colors now. there is a photo on the front page of nhl.com after a stamkos goal. you can see the entire team in white jumping up on their bench while the entire attendance in white sits uncheering.

it just looks strange.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Eli Cash

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am wondering if the white out isnt a thing of the past. home teams wear colors now. there is a photo on the front page of nhl.com after a stamkos goal. you can see the entire team in white jumping up on their bench while the entire attendance in white sits uncheering.

it just looks strange.
I hope you're right. I was there, and since they don't give out shirts anymore, many people weren't wearing white anyway. I wish they'd just stop trying to make it a tradition in Pittsburgh. If they're going to do anything, have people bring in Terrible Towels. At least the proceeds from those go to a good cause, and it's not forced.

And, exactly, the away team wears white. It makes no sense.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Birth Control View Post
I hope you're right. I was there, and since they don't give out shirts anymore, many people weren't wearing white anyway. I wish they'd just stop trying to make it a tradition in Pittsburgh. If they're going to do anything, have people bring in Terrible Towels. At least the proceeds from those go to a good cause, and it's not forced.

And, exactly, the away team wears white. It makes no sense.
Penguins---->Ice
Ice---->Penguins

Old
04-24-2011, 12:26 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Penguins---->Ice
Ice---->Penguins

Hockey Team---->Ice
Ice---->Hockey Team

Am I missing something? Perhaps something yellow or light blue would be better. At least Philly is smart and uses orange.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Please continue the discussion in the stickied series discussion thread. Thanks.

Closed Thread